Antihistamines and Gains

max d

Awards
  • Established
Wanted to get some opinions on the article that was posted a couple days ago on AM. Its that time of year that allergy sufferers are loading up with antihistamines... including myself. I wanted to get some opinions on if people really think antihistamines decrease the effect of lifting and the ability for hypertrophy. Currently I take a zyrtec at 7AM and lift around 530 or 6pm. The half life of the antihistamine in the study below was 8.3 hrs so I am on the decreasing end of the bell curve so it makes me feel a little bit better about the possible negative impact. Usually I wouldn't care as this time of year I am cutting but I have been seriously focusing on some lean gains and have my macros on point for the last 6 months. I don't want to be in a surplus if hypertrophy is blunted from antihistamines. Any thoughts or comments are appreciated!

Antihistamines Block Gene Response to Exercise + Impair its Insulin-Sensitizing, Energizing & Hypotensive Effects - AnabolicMinds.com

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've been taking 10mg loratadine (claratin) nightly for about 5/6 nights now and have never felt so good. I started it as I was sick and the pharmacist recommended it based on my symptoms, but I've had allergy testing done and it confirms I'm allergic to a ton of stuff, but I basically said screw it and just deal with it as the only real issue I have is stuffy nose. Well, it could just be coincidental and timing, but I've yet to have a stuffy nose since starting this up. I'm going to keep running it until I notice a reason not to.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sometimes overall quality of life supersedes hypothetical scenarios to maximize gains that may or may not even be relevant to progress. Even if antihistamines have some negative effect on training, it's really quite obvious that you can still make gains/progress while taking a basic OTC antihistamine. For me, 10mg loratadine is an absolute miracle when I'm living with cats, so just being able to breathe and function well is far more important than any slight effects on training adaptations it'd have, and I'd even argue that having bad allergies will negatively influence workout performance and progress far more than taking an antihistamine would.

cobri66

cobri66

Awards
Sometimes overall quality of life supersedes hypothetical scenarios to maximize gains that may or may not even be relevant to progress. Even if antihistamines have some negative effect on training, it's really quite obvious that you can still make gains/progress while taking a basic OTC antihistamine. For me, 10mg loratadine is an absolute miracle when I'm living with cats, so just being able to breathe and function well is far more important than any slight effects on training adaptations it'd have, and I'd even argue that having bad allergies will negatively influence workout performance and progress far more than taking an antihistamine would.
I agree wholeheartedly with this..took the words right out of my mouth

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
just being able to breathe and function well is far more important than any slight effects on training adaptations it'd have, and I'd even argue that having bad allergies will negatively influence workout performance and progress far more than taking an antihistamine would.
Exactly! Any possible negative effects from me taking antihistamines can't possibly compare to the deficits I would get without them from disrupted sleep and breathing.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I HIGHLY doubt taking an antihistamine is going to have any measurable effect on gains. In fact, when I take them, I believe it would be a benefit because I am so hopped up that I am busting out extra reps. :)

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Now all I can think of is those class action lawsuit commercials --

"Have you or someone you known been taking an antihistamine? Studies have shown that these drugs may have kept you from getting the gains you deserved. You are ENTITLED to gainz! Contact our office now to see if you qualify for lost gainz."

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Now all I can think of is those class action lawsuit commercials --

"Have you or someone you known been taking an antihistamine? Studies have shown that these drugs may have kept you from getting the gains you deserved. You are ENTITLED to gainz! Contact our office now to see if you qualify for lost gainz."
Lol. I can't smell a damn thing, but check out my arms!

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I'll tell you one thing I did not like about antihistamines. I was on Allegra for a week and gained about 8 pounds! As soon as I stopped taking it I lost the 8 pounds. What the **** was that? I didn't like it at all

Daycrawler

Awards
  • Established
You'll be fine. I've been doing it for a few years now without any issues

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
There's a lengthy article on AM about antihistamines that just came out recently check out the news forum

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Alot of articles detail things that will make minor differences. Most of the time people take antihistamines because of allergies. If you have an allergic reaction to something im sure it will conflict your goals more than the antihistamine. Just my 2cents. The article was interesting, but people have been taking antihistamines and getting big af forever lol

Tom94

Awards
Wanted to get some opinions on the article that was posted a couple days ago on AM. Its that time of year that allergy sufferers are loading up with antihistamines... including myself. I wanted to get some opinions on if people really think antihistamines decrease the effect of lifting and the ability for hypertrophy. Currently I take a zyrtec at 7AM and lift around 530 or 6pm. The half life of the antihistamine in the study below was 8.3 hrs so I am on the decreasing end of the bell curve so it makes me feel a little bit better about the possible negative impact. Usually I wouldn't care as this time of year I am cutting but I have been seriously focusing on some lean gains and have my macros on point for the last 6 months. I don't want to be in a surplus if hypertrophy is blunted from antihistamines. Any thoughts or comments are appreciated!
That's pretty interesting although, I'd say any difference would be negligible. Like you I take zyrtec but, only when my allergies act up. If I where you I wouldn't worry about it and if for some reason you are, just take it before bed instead.

Thanks for sharing that article.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I take zyrtec daily, and benedryl at night SOMETIMES.. I still grow, im good.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I take zyrtec daily, and benedryl at night SOMETIMES.. I still grow, im good.
Me too. Actually almost the same layout. I do suffer from allergies, so zyrtec and benedrl if i have a reaction or need to knock out. If i dont take a benedryl after leg day i will not be able to fall asleep and as a result feel burnt out all week when the lack of sleep starts to compound. Rather take it, sleep and be able to train hard the next day.

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Take Zyrtec every single day. Living in an epicenter of pollen has its downsides :(

Pretty sure my gainz haven't been that inhibited, LOL.

max d

Awards
  • Established
Started lifting when I was 12, now that I'm over 30 them natty gains are a real struggle!