anti inflammatory for post workout?

fartster

Awards
If anyone had read an article before that taking an ibuprofen or aspirin post workout can give you that hardened look, it's true. I've tried it. Plus it lessens the soreness of the body overall. I think the belly fat storing is because of exercise induced inflammation like cortisol. Am I right? Anyone else here ever tried an NSAID post workout and saw great results as far as less soreness and more of that hardened look plus I think it removes exercise induced inflammation therefore dropping cortisol levels (I would think). My whole body is maneuverable post workout and next day after I take an NSAID, low dose aspirin. I think any of those supplements passing off as "recovery" or "post workout" supplements just isn't on the same level as legitimate antiinflammatory like NSAID.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would avoid taking NSAIDs too close to a workout as it can also inhibit gains.

fartster

Awards
I was speaking of post workout to take NSAID. pre-workout will hinder pumps, I think.

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
And post workout limits the training benefit of the workout. Still would avoid it

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
NSAID's post workout have been shown to decrease protein synthesis which is literally the reason you are training. Don't inhibit your gains by taking something that blocks what you just trained an hour to do.

fartster

Awards
is that right? so take it NOT post workout but a few hours post workout? I'm more in it for the antiinflammatory benefits really plus the "hardened" look it's supposed to give (and it does). I think I was too inflamed which is why belly fat stored when I should be ripped. I have no issues elsewhere just belly area which someone told me it's cortisol. If there was ever a steroid to fight this issue, I would just take that then. If proviron could help then I would take that instead. I started a proviron thread. I tried an Anavar only cycle, it was OK, didn't remove the belly fat.

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
To be put simply your body goes through a post exercise inflammatory process which actually stimulates protein synthesis and triggers an anabolic effect after you train. If you take an NSAID post workout and disrupt this process you can limit the process and your potential gains. Pain can be a good thing. In short NSAID's can reduce muscular development in response to muscular overload. So No I wouldn't take them post workout. Wait a few hours if you feel you have to take them. Building muscle would be more important than a hardened look IMO.

fartster

Awards
I'm not a gainer, I was. I'd prefer cut and that hardened look with no belly fat storing. I'll consider your advise as well.

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
I'm not a gainer, I was. I'd prefer cut and that hardened look with no belly fat storing. I'll consider your advise as well.
Well if your cutting your goal is to preserve not gain so that's a different story. I know ECA is very popular.

fartster

Awards
if I'm not mistaken ECA is ephedra/caffeine/aspirin? Also, a little bit of short story here; I had been lifting for 17 years and never saw fat get off my belly area. It could be diet, it could be my abuse of sleep deprivation or both. I know it's stress/cortisol. I had tried a ketogenic diet, lost weight, looked too scrawny, fats on the belly area still lingered on so I decided what's the point and gained back my weight as I looked better "thick". I just don't get why the belly fat lingers on. Someone told me it may be an insulin sensitivity issue, which means avoid carby foods, stick with high protein foods, I think that works. Instead of eating a burrito (carby food), I'd go for a quarter pounder (not as carby but more meat protein). I know most people when they're hungry they go for the most carby foods they can find as if it's instinctual. They always want their burgers with fries and sodas.

I'm simply experimenting with antiinflammatory low dose aspirin 81 mg for now, I think I notice some difference but it's too early to tell. I need to try something different because 17 years of working out and the belly fat wouldn't disappear, I'm doing something wrong. I've checked the diet, didn't work. I tried sleep therapy, it works sometimes if I can stay in this pattern long term. I guess my other option now is NSAID, just to test the waters. Inflammation can be an issue I never looked into those 17 years in the gym. My aspirin dose might be too low to have any antiinflammatory use but it's a start. Not sure how much aspirin is in an ECA stack. Any idea?

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
inflammation in muscles after workout is a GOOD thing post workout... let the body do its thing and enjoy that pain. i wouldent use this and potentially cut down muscle growth IMO

Dalmore

Dalmore

Awards
If you are about 60+ y.o. (perhaps even a bit younger?) NSAID is very beneficial.

There is currently an on-going study at my school regarding NSAID in young adults.:
The Effects of COX-inhibiting Drugs on Skeletal Muscle Adaptations to Resistance Exercise in Healthy Adults (NSAID2015)
This study is currently recruiting participants.
Verified January 2016 by Karolinska Institutet
Sponsor:
Karolinska Institutet
Information provided by (Responsible Party):
Tommy Lundberg, Karolinska Institutet

Purpose
In this study, 40 (18-35 yrs) healthy human subjects will be randomised to consume 1200 mg ibuprofen or 75 mg acetylsalicylic acid daily during a training period of 8 weeks. During these weeks, subjects perform 2-3 supervised strength training sessions (knee extensions). Before and after training, muscle volume is measured by MRI, and muscle strength is assessed by isokinetic and isoinertial ergometers. Muscle biopsies are obtained from m. vastus lateralis to study gene and protein expression of markers regulating muscle protein turnover and prostaglandin synthesis.
Looking forward to it!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
This is BS.
Think so? Care to share why it's bs? I rarely ever see you actually contribute to a thread. Its just typically short, bs, smart ass comments.

Dalmore

Dalmore

Awards
The concern regarding NSAID is mostly (if I am not mistaken) due to these 2 studies:

J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2001 Oct;86(10):5067-70.
Skeletal muscle PGF(2)(alpha) and PGE(2) in response to eccentric resistance exercise: influence of ibuprofen acetaminophen.
Trappe TA1, Fluckey JD, White F, Lambert CP, Evans WJ.
Discussion: these findings are consistent with our previous findings that both IBU and ACET block the increase in muscle protein synthesis after the same high intensity eccentric exercise bout
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2002 Mar;282(3):E551-6.
Effect of ibuprofen and acetaminophen on postexercise muscle protein synthesis.
Trappe TA1, White F, Lambert CP, Cesar D, Hellerstein M, Evans WJ.
Discussion: These results suggest that over-the-counter doses of both ibuprofen and acetaminophen suppress the protein synthesis response in skeletal muscle after eccentric resistance exercise

Dalmore

Dalmore

Awards
Do note that in older individuals, the opposite finding is true:

Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2011 Mar; 300(3): R655–R662.
Published online 2010 Dec 15. doi: 10.1152/ajpregu.00611.2010

Influence of acetaminophen and ibuprofen on skeletal muscle adaptations to resistance exercise in older adults
Todd A. Trappe,corresponding author Chad C. Carroll, Jared M. Dickinson, Jennifer K. LeMoine, Jacob M. Haus, Bridget E. Sullivan, Jonah D. Lee, Bozena Jemiolo, Eileen M. Weinheimer, and Chris J. Hollon
Discussion: Over-the-counter doses of acetaminophen or ibuprofen, when consumed in combination with resistance training, do not inhibit and appear to enhance muscle hypertrophy and strength gains in older adults.
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2016 Jan 26. pii: glv231.
COX Inhibitor Influence on Skeletal Muscle Fiber Size and Metabolic Adaptations to Resistance Exercise in Older Adults.
Trappe TA1, Ratchford SM2, Brower BE2, Liu SZ2, Lavin KM2, Carroll CC2, Jemiolo B2, Trappe SW2.
Discussion: COX inhibitor consumption during resistance exercise in older individuals enhances myocellular growth

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
is that right? so take it NOT post workout but a few hours post workout? I'm more in it for the antiinflammatory benefits really plus the "hardened" look it's supposed to give (and it does). I think I was too inflamed which is why belly fat stored when I should be ripped. I have no issues elsewhere just belly area which someone told me it's cortisol. If there was ever a steroid to fight this issue, I would just take that then. If proviron could help then I would take that instead. I started a proviron thread. I tried an Anavar only cycle, it was OK, didn't remove the belly fat.
Don't just take peoples word for the truth. The Mob mentality is strong in this thread. If you enjoy taking it post workout go ahead. It's not going to cause any change in how your body responds to exercise by taking a small dose of aspirin after you workout.

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
take a look into cherry juice-

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Don't just take peoples word for the truth. The Mob mentality is strong in this thread. If you enjoy taking it post workout go ahead. It's not going to cause any change in how your body responds to exercise by taking a small dose of aspirin after you workout.
It's actually fairly legit though. I know a competitive boxer who constantly takes NSAIDS to help prevent muscle gain while strength training - in order to help get stronger but stay in the same weight class. Taking them once in a while will not effect gains, no, but if you take enough of them day in / day out, it definitely can help prevent muscle gains by slowing protein synthesis.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is BS.
Im pretty confident that it isn't but by all means, please enlighten. I could be wrong here although I think the more likely reason for the difference is practicality vs physiological reality