Another shoulder procedure. Assistance with anti-inflammatory supplements

martin65

martin65

Awards
Hi everyone. I am 54 years old and have had arthritis since my late 20's. My shoulders have taken a beating in sports and also in the weight room. I have an outstanding orthopedic surgeon who is working diligently with me to avoid a total shoulder replacement. I am having a second surgery on my left shoulder in a few weeks. This one significantly different than first one in 2013. This new procedure is a humeral head reconstruction with osteochondral transplantation. My recovery time is 4-6 months. I am expecting a high degree of inflammation post op and also during physical therapy.
I am seeking new ideas on supplements that will assist me through this period. Thanks!

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Tart cherry
Shark cartridge
CDB
THC
Moringa

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Maybe look into something like Morphogen's Orthogen. Your PT, recovery, and nutrition will likely play the largest role, but some ingredients like Boswellia, Curcumin, UC-II (collagen), and Paractin could be beneficial for joint recovery and overall inflammation.

Awards
Omega 3, Curcumin Phytosome, Cissus Quadrangularis have the most clinical data to support use. Dit Da Jow is used to redirect blood flow to the area of application to accelerate healing. I use that for shin and knuckle conditioning, it's quite effective but given that it's an Eastern Herb there has been little clinical research to demonstrate it's effectiveness. Western doctors have been quite dismissive of eastern medicine until very recently, which is unfortunate.

If you're ok with research chemicals BCP-157 has been shown to have miraculous healing effects when it came to injuries. Documented to regrow Achilles tendons on mice that were entirely detached. Probably could have just used that instead of a surgery.

Also for the future you're going to want to roll out your scapula behind your shoulder. And locate the pec minor and massage it with your fingers. Pec Major as well. Those all contribute to aggravating shoulder injuries. Dealing with any scar tissue or knots in those areas is probably the most important part of all and greatly reduces inflammation.

Just remember anything you roll out, be sure to roll out the opposite ends of the medial plane and the anterior and posterior. Meaning, if you roll out your left pec minor and major, roll out your left back and scapula as well as the right back, scapula, pec minor and major. Traps too if you feel you need it. There's a reason for this: knots in one of these areas can make the opposite area feel like it has knots, but in reality, it's being stretched by the tightness on the opposite side.

martin65

martin65

Awards
Maybe look into something like Morphogen's Orthogen. Your PT, recovery, and nutrition will likely play the largest role, but some ingredients like Boswellia, Curcumin, UC-II (collagen), and Paractin could be beneficial for joint recovery and overall inflammation.
I am not familiar with Morphogen's Orthogen. Can you please give me more information on this item? Have you used it before? I already have Boswella, curcumin, and collegan in my supplement stack. As well as fish oil, cissus and Animal Flex.

martin65

martin65

Awards
Omega 3, Curcumin Phytosome, Cissus Quadrangularis have the most clinical data to support use. Dit Da Jow is used to redirect blood flow to the area of application to accelerate healing. I use that for shin and knuckle conditioning, it's quite effective but given that it's an Eastern Herb there has been little clinical research to demonstrate it's effectiveness. Western doctors have been quite dismissive of eastern medicine until very recently, which is unfortunate.

If you're ok with research chemicals BCP-157 has been shown to have miraculous healing effects when it came to injuries. Documented to regrow Achilles tendons on mice that were entirely detached. Probably could have just used that instead of a surgery.

Also for the future you're going to want to roll out your scapula behind your shoulder. And locate the pec minor and massage it with your fingers. Pec Major as well. Those all contribute to aggravating shoulder injuries. Dealing with any scar tissue or knots in those areas is probably the most important part of all and greatly reduces inflammation.

Just remember anything you roll out, be sure to roll out the opposite ends of the medial plane and the anterior and posterior. Meaning, if you roll out your left pec minor and major, roll out your left back and scapula as well as the right back, scapula, pec minor and major. Traps too if you feel you need it. There's a reason for this: knots in one of these areas can make the opposite area feel like it has knots, but in reality, it's being stretched by the tightness on the opposite side.
Thank you for your response. This is my 3rd shoulder surgery. Left was done in 2013 and the right in 2014. Over time I managed to lose all of my cartilage in both shoulders and my humerus was rubbing into my shoulder capsule causing more wear, spurs, my short biceps tendon was also damaged. In essence, I was candidate for shoulder replacement. So I understand your comments on physical therapy. I'm a huge believer in physical therapy and follow through afterwards.

Dit Da Jow sounds interesting. Do you have personal experience with this?

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I am not familiar with Morphogen's Orthogen. Can you please give me more information on this item? Have you used it before? I already have Boswella, curcumin, and collegan in my supplement stack. As well as fish oil, cissus and Animal Flex.
It’s just a comprehensive joint product that covers quite a few bases in one:
DC42F83B-6538-4E9E-92B8-249758F34EEC.jpeg

martin65

martin65

Awards
Looks amazing. Definitely adding to my supplement stack moving forward. Much appreciation for your response and information.

martin65

martin65

Awards
Looks amazing. Definitely adding to my supplement stack moving forward. Much appreciation for your response and information.

martin65

martin65

Awards

Awards
Thank you for your response. This is my 3rd shoulder surgery. Left was done in 2013 and the right in 2014. Over time I managed to lose all of my cartilage in both shoulders and my humerus was rubbing into my shoulder capsule causing more wear, spurs, my short biceps tendon was also damaged. In essence, I was candidate for shoulder replacement. So I understand your comments on physical therapy. I'm a huge believer in physical therapy and follow through afterwards.

Dit Da Jow sounds interesting. Do you have personal experience with this?
Yeah I use it when I kick elbow or punch anything harder than wood. It helps speed up the process for bone repair so you can return to shin, elbow, knuckle conditioning faster without any major fractures (beyond micro-fractures) occurring. It's effective for injuries of all kinds, but that's what it was originally intended for. Anecdotally, I'd estimate it reduces healing time by 10-20%. Maybe more.

Another option, more expensive but highly effective is stem cell therapy, which they do in Panama and Europe. Joe Rogan used this for his shoulder and it was highly effective. He mentioned in a podcast that it's basically at where it was when he was in high school.

Arguably the most effective treatment of all, perhaps even more than BCP-157. In Rogan's case it was a tear so you'd have to confirm details on whether it applies to your circumstances.

martin65

martin65

Awards
My surgeon has used stem cell therapy with me in the past. It is also another option for post surgery treatment. Thank you for your response!

StarScream66

StarScream66

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I recommend Labrada Elastijoint

It has at least 1g of all the ingredients you want to help your joints and it tastes just like Kool-Aid.

You could also look into GLA. It's an omega-6 fatty acid that has some COX-2 inhibiting properties.

Twin Labs Ultra GLA 300mg

Twinlab Ultra GLA 300 is a high quality GLA (Gamma-Linolenic Acid) capsule, derived from borage oil. Borage oil is extracted from the seeds of the borage plant and is a natural source of GLA.Twinlab Ultra GLA 300 Description: High Quality From Borage Oil Gluten Free Ultra GLA 300 is a high quality GLA (Gamma-Linolenic Acid) capsule, derived from borage oil. Borage oil is extracted from the seeds of the borage plant and is a natural source of GLA. The borage oil in Ultra GLA 300 is extracted without hexane or other chemical solvents. Disclaimer These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have come off 4 weeks of daily Collagen II, MSM, Hyaluronic Acid, Glucosamine/Chondrotin, Tumeric, Boron, Fish Oil and it has extinguished pain from my level II CMC arthritis.

I used Cissus once and stopped as it gave me nausea.