another newbie needing advice

TooSlim

Awards
Hey everyone. I'm new to the whole body building thing but i've been doing some research for the past few weeks. I'm 22yrs old, 6'0", and I weigh 155 so I'm a pretty skinny guy. My goal is to reach 230+ For the past couple of weeks I've been watching what I eat and trying to get some good nutrition going. I'm going to start out this Monday with 3-4 day training full body with the help of some Cell-tech, Nitro-tech, and Nitric oxide. Can anyone give me any advice or point me in the right direction on what I should do or any products I could use along/besides the ones I have chosen. Thanks alot

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
BCAAs are great for maintaining and gaining muscle. Besides that, Food is your friend and eating a lot of it will play the biggest role in helping you gain.

TooSlim

Awards
I also forgot to mention that I have a high metabolism and another product i have is Methyl 1d XL. Has anyone used this before and how effective was it?

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
i think methyl is a ph....you need to get a good few years under your belt before you start messing around with designer steroids.

do more research and find some quality companies...muscletech is all hype and ads. You'll find better products for less money from any of the companies on this site.

if you have a high metabolism you need to eat a lot. nothing new...but keep it clean. if you have the money, buy lots of red meat.

in general, n.o. products are a waste of money. most independent studies that i've seen have proven their ineffectiveness. if you want a preworkout product for the energy that's understandable, but don't be too fast to think it's the product making your veins pop.

imo, you should lift for at least 6 months on your own with nothing but food before you start trying to supplement your diet. that way you can truly understand and respect your bodies abilities, and don't be quick to chalk it all up to the supp's

idk if it matters to you, but if you take the methyl, you lose the ability to say you put on all that muscle all natty. just so noone misunderstands me, i'm not downing ph or steroid users, I'll probably run them when i come of age.

stevche

stevche

Awards
i agree with natty

stay away from ph's.... for at least a few years...

considering your just starting out, your going to see yourself make some quick gains first up.. and then itll take at least a few years before ph's would make any difference

i also agree with natty regarding muscletech... much better products out there that offer better results for a cheaper price... seeing as you got the products already.. give em a shot and see how you go.. watch out with the cell-tech though.. most likely going to put on a fair bit of waterweight with that product and its loaded with sugars

once you finish those products start looking into different brands

Cell Tech alternative- CL GreenMAG, GN SizeOn, Universal Storm etc

NitroTech alternative- whatever is cheaper... i usually by my protein based on cost-per-serving... which almost always ends up being bulk unflavoured :D

N.O. alternatives - CL White Flood, Superpump250, MS Ragnarok etc

for now i think you've covered the basics regarding your supps,, no need to add any others for now... just focus on your nutrition and lifting

islandmagic

islandmagic

Awards
  • Established
My 2 cents take multi vit fish oil joint supplement….

My core stack is
Animal Pak
Omega
Flex

manny1010

Awards
  • Established
eat, eat while you research, eat food all the time. Protein will also help but food is a true friend.

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
I don't know if you're in need of training routine advise as well if so...post something up and we'll be happy to help.

how's your diet? that's always my first question, i'm kind of disappointed in myself that i forgot to ask last time.

if you don't mind, post it up. diet is more important than supplements.

TooSlim

Awards
thanks for all of the replies. to start off with I was thinking a fullbody 3x a week plan for a couple of weeks then moving on to 4x's a week. Pretty much heres what i've been living on.
Morning- 3 Eggs, 4-5 Slices of Bologna, 2 Slices toast w/ butter and a gator/poweraid
Snack- Fruit, Peanuts, Peanut Butter and a gator/poweraid
Lunch- 2 Tuna Fish Sandwichs, peanuts, few chips, and sometimes I eat a small candybar and again a gator/poweraid
Snack- Pretty much the same snack
Dinner- Usually 2 Ribeyes with fat trimmed, Rice, Baked Potatoe and again a gator/poweraid.

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
Someone is surely going to suggest a better diet.

myself included.

that's less food than i eat, and i'm on a cut....

if you're new, i, personally, would suggest a 4-5 day split routine for a few months.

islandmagic

islandmagic

Awards
  • Established
thanks for all of the replies. to start off with I was thinking a fullbody 3x a week plan for a couple of weeks then moving on to 4x's a week. Pretty much heres what i've been living on.
Morning- 3 Eggs, 4-5 Slices of Bologna, 2 Slices toast w/ butter and a gator/poweraid
Snack- Fruit, Peanuts, Peanut Butter and a gator/poweraid
Lunch- 2 Tuna Fish Sandwichs, peanuts, few chips, and sometimes I eat a small candybar and again a gator/poweraid
Snack- Pretty much the same snack
Dinner- Usually 2 Ribeyes with fat trimmed, Rice, Baked Potatoe and again a gator/poweraid.
Brohiem you have to get a better Diet what you wrote will not get you Size.. Bologna????

TooSlim

Awards
well, ok now i found a problem in my diet. Good to know. so how much should i be eating. why do you say do the spit routine for? what purpose is it going to offer is what i'm saying.

TooSlim

Awards
i took the junk food out now i have to take my bologna out too...damn this isnt going to be easy.. what should i put in its place?

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
to the bologna something not processed...i'll find you some of my old diets that served me well.

give me a minute and i'll type you up why i suggest a split.

TooSlim

Awards
I really appreciate the help, I never thought bologna wasnt processed.

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
Here's my diet from highschool

5 am-Whey Shake with cup of Oats and Flax
5:30 am-workout
6:30-7 powo whey shake with 60 grams of carbs in form of Dextrose
11 am-chicken breast, cup of whole wheat rice, cup of broccoli, half a sweet potato
1 pm- 16 oz chopped steak, 2 cups of salad, and a large sweet potato.
3:30- chicken breast, cup of whole wheat pasta with several table spoons of olive oil, sun dried tomatoes, and artichokes.
5:30-roast beef. (cuz i can make it in bulk) veggies, the other half of sweet potato.
8:00-9:00 cottage cheese with banana, blue berries, and grapes and casein

I also didn't count whey and casein blended shakes. i had one with every other meal i think

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
Here's my current slow fat loss, maintain muscle diet.

Preworkout
1 scoop whey protein + 1 cup of dry measure oats
1 large apple

Postworkout
2 scoops whey protein
Bcaa
Skim milk 12 oz
60 grams of Dextrose.

Breakfast 1
1 scoop Whey Protein
2 Slices Wheat Bread
2 Tbsp. jelly

Breakfast 2
3 Whole eggs + 3 white eggs
2 cups oatmeal

Late-Morning Snack
2 scoops casein protein or cottage cheese
2 slices whole wheat bread
1 tbsp. jelly
1 tbsp. peanut butter

Lunch-
6 oz deli turkey/ Chicken Breast
2 slices whole wheat bread
1 tbsp. mustard
2 cups mixed greed salad
½ avocado
1 tbsp. olive oil/vinegar dressing

Dinner
6-8 oz Chicken Breast
1 large sweet potato
1 cup chopped broccoli
2 cups mixed green salad
1 tbsp. olive oil/vinegar dressing

Nighttime Snack
2 Scoops Casein protein Or some cottage cheese, fat free
1 cup oatmeal
1 oz. Walnuts (14 halves)
5-10 g BCAAs

TooSlim

Awards
thanks man...guess i'm going to be eating all day then haha...I really appreciate it.

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
and i really don't have a good reason for a split routine...

it's just a personal preference i guess...

you could look into d.c. if you just want to get big and strong...

islandmagic

islandmagic

Awards
  • Established
and i really don't have a good reason for a split routine...

it's just a personal preference i guess...

you could look into d.c. if you just want to get big and strong...
what about 5x5 training?

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
what about 5x5 training?
that might be my style?

is that just 5 sets of 5 reps? with heavy weight?

if so that's more along the line of what i do...

I designed my own routine based off of several different techniques.

islandmagic

islandmagic

Awards
  • Established
that might be my style?

is that just 5 sets of 5 reps? with heavy weight?

if so that's more along the line of what i do...

I designed my own routine based off of several different techniques.
yes you are correct!!!!! ( I do 90% o my max weight)

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
yeah i do something similar to that.

i'm about to go to work, but if i get a chance i'll get back on and line out what i do.

panmerc

panmerc

Awards
Just a little advice. You might look into getting a couple of basic books. One on basic nutrition and one on basic lifting.

The nutrition book will help you understand why you should be eating a diet like Natty has given you and not foods like bologna. Not that bologna is horrible, if thats all you got then thats all you got. When I first started lifting I would try following diets people gave me but I didn't understand trully why I was eating that way. A basic nutrition book will help.

As for the workout books, they will show you how your body works and how the lifts will help. Most imprtantly they will show you the correct form. Without correct form its almost better to not lift. IMO Why try to lift weights if all you do is injure yourself. It will not only keep you from lifting but will also turn you away from lifting for the long run. I think thats why so many people quit lifting is because they do too much too soon.

Supplements (like methyl) can help once you start hitting plateaus, but until then you can do just as much without them. As for multis, flax and protein shakes they help fill in the cracks from what you can't get naturally on a daily basis. I've never found a diet that is perfect with all of the carbs, pro, fats, and everything else your body needs on a daily basis. They help smooth your foundation.

Just have a little humility and patience and you will get to your goals before you know it. Without the supps. Good luck!

TooSlim

Awards
Thanks guys, I picked up a routine book a few days ago and if I recall correctly it had a few things about nutrition and diets. Once again thank everyone for your help.

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys, I picked up a routine book a few days ago and if I recall correctly it had a few things about nutrition and diets. Once again thank everyone for your help.
make sure and check the copyright date. when i bought my first bodybuilding book it was from the 80's and it had me avoiding all fats all the time. bad stuff....

Stipator

Stipator

Awards
natty texan is right. Inorder to gain lean mass and keep it you need to follow a bodybuilding diet. I'm 5'9 213 lbs and eat all day. I go for about 3500 cals/day. You can click on my diet to see the foods I eat.

mytime09

mytime09

Awards
do alot more research on here and it will definitely help. im on here alot and i can honestly say your gonna learn SO much **** that you wont find on google or anywhere else. im somewhat new here too but the knowledge ive got here im in the process of creating a monster haha. with that said id say do the full body workout 3x per week. check out the user on here suncloud's post he sums it up pretty well for you. add more to diet, etc. throw some cottage cheese in before bed. evoo(extra virgin olive oil) to some of your meals. get after it man!

mattx731

Awards
Stay away from muscletech if your gonna use supplements too, There are way better companies out there. Over priced and the products do nothing for me.

bigjoe3636

Awards
Stay away from muscletech if your gonna use supplements too, There are way better companies out there. Over priced and the products do nothing for me.
what would ou recommend over muscletech

mattx731

Awards
It depends on what you are looking for.

Creatine:Vpx no shotgun stacked with Synthasize makes for a great pre/post workout supplemnt.

Protein: I have tried many and really like dymatize 12 hr elite. Great taste and a good bang for your buck. Also optimum nutrition 100% whey is great.

BCAA: Xtend is awesome, scivation makes it.

Healthy fats(lipids); SAN lipidex is an awesome product to take year round.

mattx731

Awards
OK.....BCAA's are branched chain amino acids. Basically essential amino acids that your body can not produce and need to be taken in through diet and supplementation. They are ESSENTIAL to bodybuilding! Amino acids are the building blocks of protein and everyone knows you need protein.

bigjoe3636

Awards
yeah im not that new i do know protein haha...whats a good BCAA supplement then?

mattx731

Awards
Xtend is great. Kind of expensive, but awesome tasting! Love the grape....

also the NO Synthasize and Shotgun has BCAA in it so if you took that stack then your needs would be met.

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
if you have to ask what a bcaa is, you don't need to take it yet.

do research. (this does include asking questions, but don't go ordering it right off the bat just because some online guy says it's good)

learn.

correct your diet, then when you consistently have a good diet and good rest (for at least 2 months) you can start to think about supplements.

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
this, in my opinion is the order of importance.

1. Nutrition
  2. Sleep
  3. Proper Workout Routine
  4. Time in the Gym using that proper workout routine
  5. Having a proper mindset/mentality to grow
  6. Supplements.

If ya'll have someone to add in there or an argument, please feel free to p.m. me.

bigjoe3636

Awards
alright...i have had regular work out routine and diet...and have used some stuff...animal cuts..NO..proteins, nothing serious though...i feel like it seems its hard for me to see results, ive been lifting for a year or so and have just begun to see changes. which is somewhat frustrating..was just curious about some other supplements other than protein shakes and stuff of that nature...thanks for the help

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
alright...i have had regular work out routine and diet...and have used some stuff...animal cuts..NO..proteins, nothing serious though...i feel like it seems its hard for me to see results, ive been lifting for a year or so and have just begun to see changes. which is somewhat frustrating..was just curious about some other supplements other than protein shakes and stuff of that nature...thanks for the help
pm sent.

Abdullah411

Awards
I just got on the boards today and am reading through posts. I've never been on forums much but have done so to help promote a friend of mine. His name is Chris Aceto and has a new line of nutrition products that he has come out with. I've known him for awhile and consider him to be a great friend and mentor. Google him and/or check him out at procardnutrition com or nutramedia com. I think you will learn a lot from his articles books etc. He doesn't hand out BS and really knows his stuff. Email him a question. He'll point you in the right direction.

rankbull

rankbull

Awards
  • Established
good luck man. once you get you diet in order for a couple weeks. i give you my word you will see some results...

my .02: eat, eat, eat, drink water, eat, eat, eat, drink a weight gainer shake, repeat, that's how i got started and when i had enough money to afford weight gainers and it did my body gooood