And On To The Anabolic Solution...

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So after all the good advice I got in my last thread on fat loss, I decided to completely change things up and get with the Anabolic Solution.

I am EXTREMELY carb sensitive, and I know that, yet I try to keep carbs in my diet to a degree which I cannot generally tolerate. I have used CKD/TKD with more than excellent results in the past, and after reading the AS I am very, very confident that this will be just as effective for me.

So, last Wednesday I bought all of Di Pasquale's ebooks and got started with it. I have been getting between 2800 and 3200 calories thus far, easily staying under 30g of carbs daily. I will end up going with a 10 day introductory phase rather than 12, but I might do it twice (e.g. carb up this weekend then go 12 days) just for good measure.

Of course, so far, I have the kind of 'fogginess' and not quite lethargy, but a bit of tiredness. Nothing I can't deal with though. I will do my best to try and log my progress here, possibly get some measurements and see where I go (abject shame prevents me from busting out the measurements and pictures right away).

Neil5585

Neil5585

Awards
  • Established
No need to do back to back intro phases. Just keep the fat high during the first month or so to get good adaptation. The carb meals help with thyroid, leptin, metabolism, and some other good things, so you do want them after the intro phase.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So today is day 8 of the AS, and my workout sucked out loud. I feel like I have energy (is lack of lethargy energy?), but my poundages are suffering and during my 15 minute post workout walk I am seriously straight up out of gas. Is this one of the byproducts of the initiation phase?

Feel great otherwise; the fogginess is gone and there is no hint of mid-day tiredness. Just starting to suck it up in the gym a bit...

justing

Awards
im on day 6. i feel weak, my endurence sucks. i also have more problems sleeping on this diet. half of me wants to quit. but, im gonna keep goning. feed back from people who have done this would be great.

Socrates44

Socrates44

Awards
  • Established
Im right here with you brother. You have done the ketogenic diet before so you know your body will switch over to FA and Ketone use. That Keto-flu sucks though. Im down 12-13lbs depending on when I way myself, after 3.5 weeks. Keep it going.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Im right here with you brother. You have done the ketogenic diet before so you know your body will switch over to FA and Ketone use. That Keto-flu sucks though. Im down 12-13lbs depending on when I way myself, after 3.5 weeks. Keep it going.
When I did Keto, I didn't do an introductory phase, so this drop in strength and endurance is new to me. Doing good without the carbs though; no cravings, no real desire to consume any. I'm sure that'll change on saturday though. :burg:

book

Awards
I just found your log, I'm on day 5 of the AS. I had some similar questions. I did squats and dead's yesterday and my recovery has been slow. I have followed a low gi carb/ low fat diet for two years. Switching to High fat with little to no carbs has taken me down a notch. Has anyone been doing this program long term?

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I did the CKD a couple years ago (very similar to AS), and had excellent results in both strength and body composition over a period of probably 7-8 months. I got much, much stronger and dropped bodyfat at the same time.

Today is day 10 for me; as posted above I started on a Wednesday and am going to do the introductory phase for 10 days rather than 12. I grabbed some ketostix to verify what I already knew about my fat burning state, so its going well from the diet standpoint.

I have taken in anywhere from 2500-3100 calories a day (per fitday) each of the 10 days. On no occasion have I gone over 30 net carbs, and have managed to keep the fat consumption at a solid 60% everyday.

I made it through the 'keto flu', but I can tell in the gym that I am just drained. My poundages have gone from stagnant to dropping, I tried to do some cardio and I just have that 'empty tank' feeling. I played basketball last night for about an hour and 30 minutes and it went ok, but I think I'm ready both physically and psychologically for some carbs.

I plan to start my carb-up tomorrow morning at breakfast, and will end it around 5pm, giving me probably about 12 hours or so. I have the food laid out already-wheat bagels, whole-wheat pasta, MILK (!), and I am going to eat sloppy joes on onion buns for supper (request of the kids). After that I will likely consume a lo-carb shake in the evening and start back on the AS on Sunday.

I am planning on about 3200 cals tomorrow, with probably in the neighborhood of 300-350 carbs (no sugar, but I will have some white carbs with the onion buns).

Critique if you can...

JDF

Awards
  • Established
Subbed.

Im on day 6 of the diet, my lifts really sucked the first 3 days but after that I've felt a whoooole lot better.

Good luck bro!!!

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well, as they say, even the best laid plans go wrong. My carb-up lasted until noon on Sunday and wasn't as clean as I would have liked. I had 4 slices of pizza, 4 sloppy joes, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and probably 4 glasses of milk between 7am Saturday and noon on Sunday in addition to the regular protein intake (chicken, beef, shakes). Oh well, I cleaned it back up and have been on track for the last 24 hours.

Over the weekend I did not lift, but I played baskteball for an hour on Saturday and a solid 2.5 hours Sunday.

After a trip to the doctor today because of some pretty severe neck/back/shoulder pain I am going to have to alter my lifting somewhat; I have a bunch of disk degeneration in my neck and upper back from playing football for so long, and that will probably eliminate some lifts (to what degree I am not sure yet)-those being overhead lifting, heavy squatting and *possibly* incline bench (according to the doctor).

Additionally, due to my fat fVcking belly pulling my posture forward, he recommended I drop about 50 or 60 pounds. That's AWESOME to hear your doctor tell you that you're a fat tub of lard.

On to week 3...:whiner:

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I am considering the possiblility of moving from the AS to the Radical Diet. I bought all of the ebooks from DiPasquale, so I am reviewing it now.

The weight causing pain issue is really bugging me, and I realized that being fat was causing me some problems, but moderate to severe acute back/neck pain is something that I don't care to deal with for a long period of time. The AS seems to have really curbed my hunger, and I think teh 1200 cals is something I can get with.

I am able to start this diet today, as I haven't had anything to eat, so 1200 shouldn't be a problem.

That being said, I am starting at 299, so my first Mini Step target will be 294.

As above, I play basketball at least 2 times a week, then I will add some additional cardio in there as well.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
OK on the diet yesterday. I wasn't very hungry, and my numbers reflect that. Per fitday-
727 Calories
29g Fat
5g Net Carbs
153g protein

Played basketball for about 1.5 hours. I ate a bunch of celery yesterday (which accounts for my carbs), and that seems to curb hunger. Additionally I drink about 2 gallons (8 Liters) of water, which helps as well. Its easy to track that because I sit at my desk and refill the same 1 liter Fiji water bottle all day.

I was 296 today, but I am certain much of that is water weight fluctuation. I weigh myself at the same time everyday under the same circumstances, but I am not going to get excited. I'll weigh again on Friday and see where I am.

Also of note-utilizing the Ketostix, I verified that I am excreting ketones; I actually was doing so about noon yesterday.

Last edited:
Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Pretty good diet today; celery continues to be the hunger-curbing savior. Here is today's breakdown
Caloires-1062
Fat-41
Net Carbs-17
Protein-148

No exercise today. Pretty sore from basketball yesterday and my doctor advised I lay off the weights until we can look further into the situation with my neck. Fasted cardio tomorrow AM, possibly elliptical and swimming.

Swimming sounds good, doesn't it? Damn, that's a good idea.

Drop any comments or suggestions if anyone is even still reading. :stick:

JDF

Awards
  • Established
Im still here with you bro.

Im struggling right along with the AD (diet) and it's def hard at times but i think the overall benefits are def worth it!!!

Socrates44

Socrates44

Awards
  • Established
With the AD man you have to eat fat calories. This will tell your body that you no longer need to produce fat stores, however your body wont be able to store the fat because it doesnt have the glycerol backbone that comes from the carbohydrates. Don't be afraid to make your calories 60% fat...Pick up some macademia nut oil and use that with heavy cream in your shakes, makes them freakin delicious.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
With the AD man you have to eat fat calories. This will tell your body that you no longer need to produce fat stores, however your body wont be able to store the fat because it doesnt have the glycerol backbone that comes from the carbohydrates. Don't be afraid to make your calories 60% fat...Pick up some macademia nut oil and use that with heavy cream in your shakes, makes them freakin delicious.

I'm trying to get there; I'll have to replace/cut back on something to get the fat up. Its a work in progress with the 1200 calorie limitation. I will make some adjustments today (the shake for one-I've had a couple of the heavy cream/macademia nut oil/coconut oil shakes and they are tasty, no doubt.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ok, so after fasted cardio I mixed up the high-fat shake, and here is what I comprised it of;
3tbsp heavy cream
2tbsp coconut oil
2tbsp milled flax
2tbsp natual peanut butter
2 scoops All The Whey Chocolate
6 oz ice water

While this shake is awesome as far as taste, it kills me with the numbers;
Calories-868
Fat-66
Net Carbs-4
Protein-55

Awesome profile, but that only allows me 332 calories for the rest of the day, and its only 7am. I might remove a tbsp here and there to reduce the calories or something. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated at this point.

I know Socrates is right, but it's a tough balance to strike between large fat intake (percentage) and overall calories.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Im still here with you bro.

Im struggling right along with the AD (diet) and it's def hard at times but i think the overall benefits are def worth it!!!
You know, man, after the introductory phase this has been all gravy for me thus far. I just had to get through that first 10 or 11 days, and that was brutal for sure.

I like the MiniStep theory of the Radical Diet. Work your ass off to lose that 4 or 5, get rewarded with a cheat day, then back to the 1200 calories. It's much easier psychologically for me.

JDF

Awards
  • Established
Then this is the right diet/lifestyle for you.

I think about it like "Can I do this day in and day out?"

This helps me to evaluate whether or not I will be able to continue for long enough for it to be worth the effort.

Keep it up bro, 1200kal sounds rough so stay strong!

It'll all be worth it on the beaches this summer :bb2:

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have also added DCP and Leviathan. My hunger was out of control prior to using these 2 supps, and now I can handle the 1200 cals using these and celery.

I am dosing the DCP at 2/2/2 and the Leviathan at 2/2, 30 minutes prior to my morining and mid-day food intake.

Socrates44

Socrates44

Awards
  • Established
Avoid using Coconut oil due to its high content of MCT's. These shorter chain fats will sneak through the mitochondrial layers and screw up lipid oxidation of long chain fatty acids. The fatty acids that you want to be burning is palmitoyl, a long chain FA (a 16 carbon), the reason you wanna break these down is because they are the main constituent of Triglycerides along with glycerol (glycerol is the carb source of fat, and the most important).

That is why I recommended Macademia nut oil (some say it is better for you than EVOO, and I am starting to believe).

Adding carnitine to your supps would be beneficial because the two enzymes (carnitine palmitoyl transferases 1 and 2) are found on the outer and inner mitochondrial membranes respectively, use free carnitine to usher FA's into the beta oxidation pathway so that the Fatty acids can be used as a fuel source.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Got a little out of hand on the diet today. That early morning shake really put me over on calories, but I am still on track for 6000 calories over a 5 day span, which is OK per the Radical Diet, as long as I don't go over 2000 on any given day. With that...
Calories-1801
Fat-121
Net Carbs-15
Protein-145

Tomorrow I'll scale back on the shake, or have it later in the day. When I get one first thing in the morning, I am hungry all day, and that proved itself again today.

Socrates-I am out of macadamia nut oil; I ordered some today as nobody carries it locally, so I substituted the coconut oil. Would it be better to leave the coconut out of the shake altogether?

Socrates44

Socrates44

Awards
  • Established
I would recommend to keep it out. Because of how the diet works, Coconut oil would slow down the process. Substitute the Coconut oil for EVOO until the macademia oil comes back. It might not taste as good, but it will be worth it.

I thought you were on the Anabolic Diet, what is this Radical diet?

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I would recommend to keep it out. Because of how the diet works, Coconut oil would slow down the process. Substitute the Coconut oil for EVOO until the macademia oil comes back. It might not taste as good, but it will be worth it.

I thought you were on the Anabolic Diet, what is this Radical diet?
It's DiPasquale's version of a VLCD. Basically its the Anabolic Solution, but with 1200 calories a day (with higher protein intake percentage), and 2000 calories on a refeed day; the carb ups are scheduled every 5 days, OR after you meet your incremental weight loss goal, whichever comes last. Of course, keeping the carbs low (below 30g) as on the AS. I have the ebook if you would like me to email it to you.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Fasted cardio this morning consisted of 15 minutes HIIT on the treadmill-2 walk (3.5mph) 3 run (5.5mph), then 6 50 yard laps in the pool.

Wow...I am SO out of shape!:mad:

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Diet was pretty on for yesterday-
Calories-1205
Fat-76
Net Carbs-19
Protein-107

The good news for me today was stepping on the scale. I have achieved my first weight loss mini goal of 294#.

I'll continue on today with the 1200 calorie restriction, then do my carb up (2000 calories max) tomorrow. I'll probably only eat one big meal; been craving Mexican food for a minute, so I'm likely just going to tear that up, plus a protein shake if I have the calories to spare.

I will start back on the diet on Sunday, making my next goal weight 290#. Little bit here, little bit there...

JDF

Awards
  • Established
Diet was pretty on for yesterday-
Calories-1205
Fat-76
Net Carbs-19
Protein-107

The good news for me today was stepping on the scale. I have achieved my first weight loss mini goal of 294#.

I'll continue on today with the 1200 calorie restriction, then do my carb up (2000 calories max) tomorrow. I'll probably only eat one big meal; been craving Mexican food for a minute, so I'm likely just going to tear that up, plus a protein shake if I have the calories to spare.

I will start back on the diet on Sunday, making my next goal weight 290#. Little bit here, little bit there...
Awsome bro, keep on plugging away!

p.s. - I've been craving mexican food as well ( im on a CKD/Keto diet )

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks, I appreciate the support!

book

Awards
It's DiPasquale's version of a VLCD. Basically its the Anabolic Solution, but with 1200 calories a day (with higher protein intake percentage), and 2000 calories on a refeed day; the carb ups are scheduled every 5 days, OR after you meet your incremental weight loss goal, whichever comes last. Of course, keeping the carbs low (below 30g) as on the AS. I have the ebook if you would like me to email it to you.
Swanson Thanks for the thread. looks like your making pretty good progress. Today is day 12 on the Ad for me. I'm looking forward to the carb loading phase tomorrow. I would also like more info on the e-book if you don't mind. I have the spiral bound copy, Is there a difference?

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
None that I am aware of. I ordered the ebook so I could get it right away, rather than waiting on it to ship. I also got a deal on them by ordering all of the ebooks (Radical Diet, Metabolic Diet, Anabolic Solution Powerlifters, AS for Bodybuilders).

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I was ultra busy at work yesterday, so I didn't really get a chance to do all the eating I needed to do;
Calories-752
Fat-51
Net Carbs-9
Protein-61

That's it for week 1 of the Radical for me. I went from 299 to 293 (this morning), consuming approximately 5800 calories for the week.

Today is the carb-up day, and I took advantage already this morning. I woke up and headed STRAIGHT to my favorite Mexican restaurant and tore up some huevos rancheros, rice, beans, and a guacamole tostada. It was all I thought it would be and then some.

The nice thing about the cheat meal for me was it satisfied a psychological craving more than anything. I feel like "****, I got my carbs, now back to it". I will probably have carbs one more time today, but I will limit the window to no later than 5pm today. Now that my brain has been satiated, I'm pretty much over it.

In another thread I sought some input on my diet, workout, etc., and I will outline those here for anyone that is following.

I want to follow the Radical Diet until I get to a goal weight of 275 pounds. I had my BF tested and I'm at 25%, so my lean bodyweight is about 230. Once I get to 275, I plan to slowly start reintroducing calories while still following the principles of the Anabolic Solution, until I get to the point where my fat loss ceases, then back off the calories at that time. When I get to the point of comfortable caloric maintenance, or SLIGHT deficit, I will just work on recomposition until I get somewhere in the 12-15% bf range regardless of weight.

I think that adding about 1000 calories per week after I get to 275 will be OK and keep me from adding nothin but fat, but if anyone has any suggestions to this end, please feel free to drop em on me.

Additionally, right now I am doing HIIT on the treadmill 3 times a week for 15 minutes each, swimming for 30 minutes 3 times per week and playing basketball for about 3-4 hours a week. I haven't been lifting, but I will introduce some light, high rep work this week.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I did good sat, but Sunday was horrible. I was out of town with the family looking for a house. The kids were Pizza Hut crazy and it sure sounded good! I ate 4 pieces of Pizza Hut pizza and 2 breadsticks. I felt awful, so I guess I paid for it, eh?

Back to it this week, some fasted cardio (swimming, elliptical) is on the agenda for this morning, with some lifting later on today.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good day for diet today. Didn't get a chance to work out-had a job interview and some honey-do chores from the wife. About all I got done was eating...
Calories-1169
Fat-78
Net Carbs-14
Protein-96

On the upside, I was able to wear a pair of jeans that hadn't been anywhere close to fitting for a year. They were a little snug, but at least they were on!

I think running is aggravating my back/neck problem, so tomorrow I am going to stick with the elliptical HIIT and swimming. I notice after I ball or run my neck and upper back hurt like hell, so I am going to stay away from those activities until the problem subsides or I find adequate treatment.

New jobs kick ass too!:thumbsup:

JDF

Awards
  • Established
Congrats on the job bro! Hopefully that will help to alleviate some stress in your life and your weight will drop even faster.

I stay away from the treadmill because im 5'7 and ~215(~18% b/f ) and its just killer on my knees, I can get a good Low Intensity cardio session on on both the bike or the elliptical.

Does the radical diet come w/ a workout regimine that you are supposed to follow? Maybe some super/great sets will help you to keep your heart rate up while lifting hence you drop the pounds that much quicker.

Great log so far and nice job on the diet.