50% of people experience Gymtimidation

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
March 23, 2019 Exercise, Health & Medical, Weight Loss

Half Of Americans Battle ‘Gymtimidation,’ Afraid Of Working Out In Front Of Others
by Ben Renner

NEW YORK — Getting to the gym is a tall task for many adults, but once there, feeling comfortable enough to start working out may be even more of a challenge. A survey of 2,000 Americans found that about half expressed fear of working out in front of others.

The survey, sponsored by protein drink-maker Isopure, found that exercising is a daunting experience for adults who aren’t gym rats. “Gymtimidation” may sound silly, but as many as 50% say it’s a phenomenon they experience when around others at their fitness club. Nearly a third (32%) of respondents report feelings of intimidation when working out near someone who is in excellent shape. Another 17% say they grow intimidated when exercising in front of someone of the opposite sex.

About 3 in 10 (31%) admitted to pangs of anxiety when thinking about trying to get in shape in general. Another 48% said they feel intimidated by the sheer number of fitness workouts and classes offered at their gym. Even among those who have conquered their fears, 47% say they still experience intimidation from time to time.

On the other hand, a whopping 37% of respondents say they have never worked out said they’re too unhealthy to begin exercising.

For those battling gymtimidation, lacing up the running shoes and going for a jog around the neighborhood might seem like a keen alternative, but even that’s asking a lot for some adults. More than a third (36%) of those surveyed said that running outside is more intimidating than starting a new exercise routine.

Fitness routines can help some get over this sense of gymtimidation, but only up to a point. Even those who work out regularly have struggles: 40% of this segment they feel like they’ve reached a physical plateau. It could be because their workout routine has grown stale. Thirty-eight percent say they’ve always followed the same regimen and never switch things up.

“Consistency in your fitness plan is fundamental to get results, but eventually the body adapts and plateaus can occur. A fresh activity or workout routine can help break you out of the fitness rut by forcing you to adapt,” says Isopure General Manager, Jonathan Thompson, in a statement.

Eventually, positive gains from doing a routine over and over again begin to slow. Nearly half of those who say they’re stuck in a gym rut (48%) haven’t seen a positive change in their body in a while, and 41% agree their weight has plateaued. Conversely, another 41% mired in a rut say they’ve actually gained weight without changing their diet.

The takeaway? Battle past those anxious feelings and remember that seeing results requires hard work, confidence, and the occasional fresh mix of exercises.

The study was conducted by market research firm OnePoll.

https://www.studyfinds.org/gymtimida...d-working-out/

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
There's anxiety for most people when they meet somebody new, or start a new job, or start a new class, etc. Life is hard, but I've learned that the best things tend to happen when you go outside of your comfort zone.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I do recall how strange the gym was when starting weightlifting in 2012. I did elliptical and treadmill for many years prior to. Never weights. I was not intimidated although only a skinny runt. I enjoyed watching and learning. It is nice the machines have little diagrams with muscles worked and what to do. Experienced people gave me pointers. Now we are like a quiet family, More respect passed in a good morning nod than any random hours long conversation outside of the gym with someone else.

I have to say I do not see how a person can allow themselves to go 20lbs+ to 100lbs+ overweight. Both and inbetween are a long road back and the more the weight the longer the road. I have seen two young women shed 100lbs and look smoking hot(They were nice before even when overweight) and one mature mother of two shed 50lbs and be completely ripped. Amazing. That is a great deal of work.

You know the irony is dedicated gym goers give everyone who does 100% respect, comradeship, etc. Do not have to be huge or strong. Just seeing one is killing the weight or themselves is the test.
Easy peasy. So sad all this fear.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ppl have told me they are intimidated and I honestly think it's an excuse....I always give my perspective, when I started going to the biggest gym in my area I tell them how I used it as a source of motivation, I was one of the smaller ppl in the gym and it motivated me to work as hard or harder than everyone else so I could catch up

I know ppl who also say they never want to be the strongest guy in the gym because they constantly want that motivation as something to work towards

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
This is real, it's called little bitch syndrome. It tends to affect Millennials and fat people and causes them to make excuses for not doing what they're supposed to do

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Be nice to people, welcome new people. You don't have to do it through words, although you can, you can do it through body language.

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The gym anxiety I experience is the thought of getting to the gym and the equipment I need is taken for an extended period of time and knowing that at some point I’ll have to spend 10 minutes searching the gym to find a piece of equipment because some dumb ass was too lazy to put it back where it belongs.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
The gym anxiety I experience is the thought of getting to the gym and the equipment I need is taken for an extended period of time and knowing that at some point I’ll have to spend 10 minutes searching the gym to find a piece of equipment because some dumb ass was too lazy to put it back where it belongs.
For about 2 weeks I went to my gym at different times every day and made notes of how busy it was at each time and what most ppl were training on those days. I used that to schedule my workouts and for the most part it's been working. There have been times where there's been so many people you mean the stuff that I need I literally turned around and walked out the gym after my first or second exercise and finished my workout at home. Now I don't have that problem anymore because I know when stuff's going to be free to use

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
This is for real! I even experience it occasionally now, despite how long I’ve been lifting, because of the way some people give judgmental looks if you don’t look like a bikini model. Interestingly enough, it’s typically from guys who actually don’t work very hard in the gym. (Possibly the more genetically gifted ones who only need little effort) I just do my best to ignore it, remember where I’ve come from and that they don’t know my battles.

I also know for women, this is much more common! I work with several that won’t lift a weight unless they have someone with them that knows what they’re doing. Even if they’ve done it a little while. They just feel very self conscious and like everyone is watching them. (I think women are more prone to thinking this way regardless of if it’s in the gym or not) That why so many women like classes, cardio, or crossfit style training. Very group oriented.

Anabaholic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've never felt intimidated at the gym because my thought is that everyone there is so concerned with their own goals and worried about what they look like, that they hardly have time to notice what anyone else looks like. And even if people are judging you, it would only be the kind of people who would judge you anywhere they saw you, and it's not like you can just never leave your house because you're afraid people might look at you, right?

On the other hand, different gyms have different cultures and attract different kinds of people. I always look for a gym with a good mix people from different age groups and fitness levels, and one where people are willing to help you if you need it; if you find a place like that, chances are most people will be pretty cool there.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I started lifting in 1988 and I can tell you that it was much more intimidating back then. I feel like it pushed me more in the beginning.

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I started around ‘03 and it was still even a much different vibe, and I wish it was more like that...

Not as many people trained with headphones,...People put in work to build a base...Guys today are very quick to ‘jump on’ before making substantial natural progress due to ‘instagram culture’ etc..!

And there was no “YouTube fitness” ...Certainly no one with a phone or camera filming their fuckin workouts and getting on people’s way...

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I started around ‘03 and it was still even a much different vibe, and I wish it was more like that...

Not as many people trained with headphones,...People put in work to build a base...Guys today are very quick to ‘jump on’ before making substantial natural progress due to ‘instagram culture’ etc..!

And there was no “YouTube fitness” ...Certainly no one with a phone or camera filming their fuckin workouts and getting on people’s way...

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

And there was no “YouTube fitness” ...Certainly no one with a phone or camera filming their fuckin workouts and getting in people’s way...

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

And there was no “YouTube fitness” ...Certainly no one with a phone or camera filming their fuckin workouts and getting in people’s way...

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
people are softer now a days both physically and mentally. Why would anyone care what people you don’t even know think.

warriorscode8

warriorscode8

Awards
  • Established
I work out in a small commercial gym. And 90% of the people there are not in good shape, not lifting heavy weights, etc And I see the looks I get when I’m deadlifting 5+ plates. Some people get motivated, and I think it makes others look at themselves and feel bad. Those are the people likely to complain about me dropping a deadlift too “loud” (I have to) and I don’t like to talk when I’m training so I think sometimes people get the wrong idea. But the last thing I’m trying to do is intimidate someone. And I just got a job at that gym...so I’m TRYING to be nice to people to show I’m not a dickhead. I might have to find a time when No ones in there though..it fucks up my lifting when people are staring at me , asking me “you sure you got that?”