5 day split

Mudveins

Awards
Anyone know of a 5 day split that will allow you to workout all your muscle twice a week? Most are 6 days splits but I don't have the time away from my gf to go 6 days.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I do a modified PHAT which is 5 days and you hit everything twice

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Anyone know of a 5 day split that will allow you to workout all your muscle twice a week? Most are 6 days splits but I don't have the time away from my gf to go 6 days.
I would stay away from 5 or 6 day splits if your not enhanced.

I would instead opt for a 4 day upper lower upper lower split with small cardio bouts in your off days.

Mudveins

Awards
What does that PHAT modification of yours look like?

Mudveins

Awards
Currently I am coming off a cycle so I am "enhanced", I've been doing Dorian Yates old upper/lower split with great results but by the time I add my 10min of cardio before and after... the upper workout has me there 2.5 hours. I want to go more but for less time... I'd like to be out of there in 1 hour to 1.5.

VO2Maxima

VO2Maxima

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's a good suggestion.

Alternately, you could run an U/L split with an extra accessory day (e.g. heavy upper, heavy lower, dynamic upper, dynamic lower, bodybuilding-style accessory day).
Or heavy squat, heavy deadlift, heavy bench, dynamic upper, dynamic lower, which will also hit everything 2x/week.

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Currently I am coming off a cycle so I am "enhanced", I've been doing Dorian Yates old upper/lower split with great results but by the time I add my 10min of cardio before and after... the upper workout has me there 2.5 hours. I want to go more but for less time... I'd like to be out of there in 1 hour to 1.5.
Well one other option could be just to stick with your upper lower but spread the volume over the 5 weekly sessions (every other week youd do either the upper or lower 3x).

Otherwise, yeah PHAT:

1. Lower power
2. Upper power
3. Off
4. Back/shoulder hypertrophy
5. Legs hypertrophy
6. Chest/arm hypertrophy.
7. Off

...dont have to split it like that though.

Nathan1722

Awards
Woody would you mind sharing your phat program with me?

VO2Maxima

VO2Maxima

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This is the basic PHAT template: http://www.simplyshredded.com/mega-feature-layne-norton-training-series-full-powerhypertrophy-routine-updated-2011.html

The beautiful thing about this is that you can change it however you'd like, as long as it remains balanced. Want to swap in bench or military press for the upper body pressing power movement? Fine. Want to do a block where the lower body power day is deadlift? Also fine. Hate rack pulls as an accessory and rather do a Hammer Strength machine row? Cool. You can completely gut the program and write your own, and as long as you're following the basic principle of a power day that starts with a strength move and continues with appropriate accessory work, and a high rep day that starts with speed work and continues with higher rep accessory work, and you're keeping it all balanced, it's technically still PHAT.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This is the basic PHAT template: http://www.simplyshredded.com/mega-feature-layne-norton-training-series-full-powerhypertrophy-routine-updated-2011.html

The beautiful thing about this is that you can change it however you'd like, as long as it remains balanced. Want to swap in bench or military press for the upper body pressing power movement? Fine. Want to do a block where the lower body power day is deadlift? Also fine. Hate rack pulls as an accessory and rather do a Hammer Strength machine row? Cool. You can completely gut the program and write your own, and as long as you're following the basic principle of a power day that starts with a strength move and continues with appropriate accessory work, and a high rep day that starts with speed work and continues with higher rep accessory work, and you're keeping it all balanced, it's technically still PHAT.
I based it off that and changed certain exercises. For example, I can't do conventional deadlifts so I do trap bar deads.

I tend to do OHP even on hyper days, I do slight decline DB press instead of flat bench, etc. I rotate in supersets every 2-3 weeks.

I've added more volume and exercises on hyper days.

I would not add more volume at first, though.

Mudveins

Awards
Does the heavy days/hyper days system work better than straight heavy days method Dorian Yates used in his 2 day split?

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Well, most rep ranges (within reason) will potentially generate hypertrophy, but some more efficiently than others. However, there are numerous studies demonstrating that varied load training (like with PHAT) can generate 'more' growth than merely sticking exclusively to one narrow rep range.

Then there is the whole psychological factor. People will tend to perform best, for longest, if theyre doing something they enjoy. Lots of people enjoy weekly variety (undulating periodisation), some enjoy sticking with 'heavy' rep training.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I do the same.

Just hit back and chest in the same day and it's a pretty easy goal to accomplish

Monday - back/chest
Tuesday - legs
Wednesday - arms
Thursday -off
Friday- back/chest
Saturday - legs
Sunday- off

I throw in rear delt work with back. Sometimes do other shoulder work with arms. I never hit arms twice a week.