1.5 or 2.0 Grams of Protein Per Pound...

Pressure

Pressure

Awards
Ok so the wieght is coming off as I just had another Doc Appt and I can't help but eat around 22-2500 cals a day...
Any how I am trying to keep or retain the muscle that I have so is 1.5 grams per pound of body weight sufficient or is 2.0 the right ammount

no gear involved

any suggestions would be appreciated

earl po

Awards
depends on the person. anywhere from 1-2/lb bweight

pinchharmonic

pinchharmonic

Awards
  • Established
I'm cutting and I'm doing fairly well on 1.0 -> 1.25g and I'm at about 10.8% bodyfat right now. I would even say I put on a tiny bit of muscle with this low amount of protein too.

You have to remember that if you have high bodyfat, you have extra weight that is not muscle. So there's a good chance you don't need that much protein, or you need less than a lean person does as far as weight is concerned.

however, I will mention, I do not add in the 20 grams of EAA and glutamine I take a day during my workout into my daily totals.

I believe if you can get 1g /lb of bodyweight, and then supplement with a lot of EAAs before, during, after workouts you can use that as a baseline and go up in protein if you really can't grow. Studies have shown weight training burns up to 90% of its energy from aminos by converting aminos to glycogen!!

Kc2554

Awards
Should we be basing our protein needs off of total body weight or lean body weight?

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
Should we be basing our protein needs off of total body weight or lean body weight?
I suppose it really depends on the diet. On CKD you can "get away" with less since your body is in a more anabolic state, due to the increased test (from optimal hormones due to extra fats).

There will always be this debate though. Let me ask you this though: how many guys get down to the sub 8% bf range on a 40/40/20 diet? Not too many.

Kc2554

Awards
I suppose it really depends on the diet. On CKD you can "get away" with less since your body is in a more anabolic state, due to the increased test (from optimal hormones due to extra fats).

There will always be this debate though. Let me ask you this though: how many guys get down to the sub 8% bf range on a 40/40/20 diet? Not too many.
I can only dream of hitting sub 8% natty..one of these days. I started logging my food for about two weeks now. I definitely feel more in control

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
I can only dream of hitting sub 8% natty..one of these days. I started logging my food for about two weeks now. I definitely feel more in control
The light switch really comes on about the 2-3 week mark, where you think: "this isn't hard at all!" I try to think of food as fuel, instead of something that makes me happy.

Pressure

Pressure

Awards
I'm cutting and I'm doing fairly well on 1.0 -> 1.25g and I'm at about 10.8% bodyfat right now. I would even say I put on a tiny bit of muscle with this low amount of protein too.

You have to remember that if you have high bodyfat, you have extra weight that is not muscle. So there's a good chance you don't need that much protein, or you need less than a lean person does as far as weight is concerned.

however, I will mention, I do not add in the 20 grams of EAA and glutamine I take a day during my workout into my daily totals.

I believe if you can get 1g /lb of bodyweight, and then supplement with a lot of EAAs before, during, after workouts you can use that as a baseline and go up in protein if you really can't grow. Studies have shown weight training burns up to 90% of its energy from aminos by converting aminos to glycogen!!

Great suggestion, I am taking in L-arginine , Glutamine and low carb whey protein especially after workout...just trying to get back in the swing of things, but it feels so good, just was concerned that if i didnt match the protein to lbs then i would lose some of my past progress

littlejeni

littlejeni

Awards
Ok so the wieght is coming off as I just had another Doc Appt and I can't help but eat around 22-2500 cals a day...
Any how I am trying to keep or retain the muscle that I have so is 1.5 grams per pound of body weight sufficient or is 2.0 the right ammount

no gear involved

any suggestions would be appreciated
From your profile I'm assuming you are around 400 lbs. If my calculations are right...1.5 g of protein/lb body weight would be 600 g, or 2700 calories of protein alone. This is alreay out of your caloric range of 2200-2500.

I'm answering this assuming that you are trying to lose body fat and get to a manageable weight before building muscle mass. You may want to think about a ratio of 2:1:1, carbs:protein:fat until you get to a goal weight, then up the protein to work on building on muscle mass.

And if you aren't 400lbs, nevermind this...:sad3:

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Depending on your level of activity, you can maintain muscle mass as low as .6g/lb. The early studies were done @ 1g/kg for people with "regular" activity levels, not weightlifters or other athletes. So for whatever reason, people just flipped it to 1g/lb for bodybuilders, where .45g is likely enough to maintain muscle on

ono

ono

Awards
Depending on your level of activity, you can maintain muscle mass as low as .6g/lb. The early studies were done @ 1g/kg for people with "regular" activity levels, not weightlifters or other athletes. So for whatever reason, people just flipped it to 1g/lb for bodybuilders, where .45g is likely enough to maintain muscle on
^

This

Providing you haven't dropped your carb intake ridiculously low, you'll be fine.

SpargelJanusz

SpargelJanusz

Awards
  • Established
I'm a little amazed at the question. In Germany, 1 kilogramm = 2.2045 pounds.
And suggested is often for non-juicers to take 1.5 - 2 gr protein per kg of bodyweight.

This amount per pound seems outlandishly high. What do you expect from it?

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
The light switch really comes on about the 2-3 week mark, where you think: "this isn't hard at all!" I try to think of food as fuel, instead of something that makes me happy.
Same here. I am on a re-comp right now, and I am enjoying it more than bulking!

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
He is correct. Studies indicate that even for intense exercisers they only require 1.2 - 1.5 g protein per kilogram of body weight.