Tomhawk Is Eating His Cake And Having It Too (CBL)

Page 31 of 40 First ... 2930313233 ... Last

1. Just a heads up. Anabolic Minds has an article about Carb Back Loading. It is pretty decent. Gives a decent idea about the diet. Something to look into if you are interested in the diet.

2. Shoulder and triceps Friday. Decided to use some wrist wraps i got years ago. My wrist was bothering me enough to test them out. Seemed to help some. Only went up to 235 on seated bb press then dropped to 185 and repped it out. Kept the cable upright row PSR with a rep out. Decided to go a little lighter on db lateral raise. Tried close grip bench press elect for the first time in a while. The wrist wraps made them ok to handle. Even did some dips. Forgot how much they sucked when you are heavy haha. Then did some triceps cable ext.

Today did back. A few different ways to do lat pulldowns. Did some tbar rows on the machine style. Kept more parallel to the ground and let it stretch me. Saw a guy doing bent over rows with a trap bar might give them a shot some time. Seemed like he could get real good ROM. Then did some rear delt work. Finished with trap bar shrugs.

Today I had about a pound of ground beef. For dinner I had jasmine rice, chicken, and sweet potatoes. Was still hungry so had a small bowl of fruity pebbles. Went to go watch the UFC fights. Had 6 chicken tenders, some fries, and 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream topped with caramel. Haha I ate more than I planned.
    •   

3. Monday I ended up doing chest and biceps. Not a fan of doing chest on Mondays for obvious reasons. Ended up lifting with Hector and Roy. Schedules lined up so I figured why not.

Started off with flat bench. Basically what they do is partials. It is a set of partials and then the lock out. It isnt something I am used to so I dont mind trying it out every now and then. Went up to 385. Felt pretty good and the lock out was the easy part haha.

Then did incline smith machine. Basically pyramid up and then 1 set down. Really like the stretch on this. Again a bit of a partial but working on the important part of the movement.

Finished chest supersetting dips with pec deck.

From here I continued my workout on my own. Did a set of lat pulldowns and then 2 sets of seated cable rows.

Did db curls for the first time in a while. Only did 25s but did 3 sets of 12. Felt good to be able to do these without pain.

Then 2 sets of hammer curls with 65s for sets of 9 reps.

Finished with 3 sets of 10 reps on rope triceps ext using the fat grips.

4. Just want to make a note I just checked my weight and it was 257. So clearly I am no longer 260. So far haven't noticed a real dip in strength. Tomorrow will be doing chest again. Going to try and be consistent with updates.

Edit: make that 256.2 haha.

5. Did chest/biceps today.

Warmed up on flat bench. Some pain in my right shoulder where the chest ties in. Been bothering me more lately.

Incline bb elect fat gripz extreme 185/225/255/285/315 drop to 245 for 8 reps.
    Decline bb lower half only 3 sets of 8 with the last having 2 negatives. Used 265 for all 3 sets.
    Db pullover 2 sets of 8 with 90
    Flat bb pause press fail with 345. Then tried 315 got 1 but the 2nd was a struggle. Not sure exactly what was the cause. Could be strength decrease in pct or fatigue from decline bb which seemed to zap my power more than doing it elect.

Lat pulldowns 3 sets of 10 with 200
    Db curls with fat gripz extreme 3 sets of 10 with 25s
    Hammer curls PSR 6/4/3/3/3 using 15/30/45/55/60
    1 arm standing concentration curls using fat gripz extreme using 40 for 10,9,8

Chest stretch dc style with dbs. Used 50s for 10 then 40 seconds. Maybe this will help strengthen that area given me problems. One can only hope.

Rope triceps ext with fat gripz extreme 3 sets of 10 with 70/80/90

Try not to make this too personal of a log but today I went and saw my grandma. She is 93 years old. Hospice said it isn't looking good and suggested seeing her before it is too late. It is crazy to say but she will be the 1st person to die who I am really close with. It is something I knew was coming I mean she is 93 but it still stings. She has always been around. Swear she is the toughest old lady. Hard to see her in such a frail state.
    •   

6. Was thinking about taking today off. But then I got into bed to take a nap. There was a big spot of cat piss. Definitely decided to go lift before I killed my sisters cat.

Squats 45*20, 135*10, 225*5, 275*5, 315*5, 335*5, 355*5, 315*5
    Leg ext 6 sets of 10 reps short rest 115/115/100/100/85/85

Seated leg curls PSR 75/120/165/195/210 drop to 165 rep out
    Db stiff leg deadlifts 2 sets of 15 with 60s

Seated calf raise 4 sets of 8 180/135/135/135

Ab wheel 3 sets of 10
    Land mines 2 sets of 10

Checked weight after a meal and it was just under 255 with clothes on no shoes. So weight is dropping fairly quick. Hoping it is fat. Was able to get the 3rd notch on my belt but still a bit too tight to actually squat with.

7. Another shoulder/triceps day.

Seated bb press fat gripz elect 135/165/195/215/235
    Standing cable upright rows psr
    Db lateral raise 2 sets of 8 with 50s
    Tried push press but wrist disagreed

Close grip bench fat gripz elect 135/185/225/255/275 for sets of 5 instead of 3
    Lying db ext 30s for 2 sets of 14
    Seated overhead db ext 2 sets of 10 with the last having 3 negatives

1 arm db standing concentration curls fat grips 55 for 7, 45 for 10, 35 for 13
    Standing cable curls with fat gripz extreme 3 sets of 10 with 70/80/90

8. Did back on Thursday. Nothing too crazy. But I did do some speed pulls with 405. Got the attention of someone in the boot camp class next door haha. Overall a decent workout. My forearms hurt later from the extra grip work using the fat gripz.

Was just going to do arms today and have an ultra low carb day, but ended up getting Chinese food so had to do a little more than arms. Decided chest wasn't an option yet so legs.

Squats 45*20,135*10 then sets of 5 reps 225, 275, 315, 345, 365, 325. To be honest it was a little hard to concentrate. A guy I used to see regularly with his son was there with I am guessing his wife or gf. To be honest she was way too hot to be his wife haha. They were doing legs also.
    Leg press 360*15, 450*15, 15
    Leg ext 115*15, 15, 15
    After this my quads were so pumped. Decided to do DC stretch for my quads. It hurt so good.

Seated leg curls psr
    Db stiff leg deadlifts 3 sets of 15 with 60s

Seated calf raise 100 reps as few as sets as possible (pain)
    Seated calf press 3 sets of 10 reps
    Tibialas(sp?) raise

Felt like I was going to have to crawl out of the gym. A far cry from the workout I had in mind earlier in the day.

9. Monday went and did a hypertrophy workout for a bench press program competition. It seemed to help before when I tried it. Had gotten me over a hurdle before. Right now my issue is my right shoulder/pec. Going to try and strengthen this area before it gets worse. Afterwards I did a little light biceps.

Wednesday did shoulders and arms. Pretty quick workout. The usual shoulder workout: seated BB press, cable upright rows, and side DB laterals. Then did 2 supersets of arms. Going to try and make more of an effort to get them to grow.

Today was back starting with deadlifts. Trying a different approach/set up plus 5 sets of 3 reps. It was 315/365/415/465/525 Felt good on all sets. Didnt really have any chalk so a little slippage on the last rep.

Then basically a new back workout. Tried out a few new things plus a few regulars. Basically the new stuff was John Meadows inspired. Plus did a little arms to finish off the workout. Took a while to complete but worth the extra effort I think.

Debating if I plan on lifting tomorrow or not. Chest makes the most sense but I will see how I feel. Might just rest tomorrow.

10. posted Muay Thai video in the wrong thread, lol, sorry Tom.
    NSCA - CSCS

11. Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311
    posted Muay Thai video in the wrong thread, lol, sorry Tom.
    Haha its all good. You are probably the only person who has posted other than me in the last 3 pages haha.

12. Can't a guy just lurk and not be called out. Geesh.
    It is not the kind of car you drive. It is whether you can flip it.

13. Quote Originally Posted by farmtireguy View Post
    Can't a guy just lurk and not be called out. Geesh.
    Haha I like to exaggerate. In fact on that page alone 2 other people posted. But it has been a bit quiet on here. I can still tell people are checking because the views are still going up.

Last night did chest. Convinced someone else to lift with me haha. Beats having to ask people for a spot all the time haha.

Started off warming up:
    Flat single arm DB press 5 sets of 10, 3 sec neg 5 sec concentric weight was 15/20/25/30/35

Incline DB press ELECT 4 sets of 10 reps with 75 pounds. Felt much easier than last time.
    Decline BB press lower half only 3 sets of 8 reps with 245. Again much easier and more natural. Then did a set of 4 pause press and 3 negatives with 275. Not sure why but decline felt MUCH easier this time around. Was at the usual place I lift.
    Flat DB flyes with extension 2 sets of 6 reps with 45s
    Bent over BB rows 1 set of 15 reps with 185. Supposed to be reverse grip but wrist wont allow it.
    Hammer curls PSR 4-3-3-3-3 weights used were as follows 25/40/55/65/70 then dropped down and repped out with a lighter weight alternating. Not real sure on the weight used now but close enough haha.
    Scapular pulldowns 3 sets of 12 plus a 10 second hold for an additional rep weight used for all 3 sets was 150.
    Drag flags 3 sets of 6 reps

Then decided to do core
    Ab wheel 3 sets of 10 reps
    Wood chops 2 sets of 12
    Landmines 2 sets of 10 each side

14. TOMAHAWKKKKKKK.

good work dude. hows that CBL?
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/226478-country-gets-huge.html#post3905023

15. Landmines suck....

16. Quote Originally Posted by CountryLiftin View Post
    TOMAHAWKKKKKKK.

good work dude. hows that CBL?
    Going great right now. After my cycle cut back on the carbs. Well stopped doing carbs on rest days haha. This helped strip some fat. Strength is still strong. Did close grip ELECT with fat gripz extreme today 305 for 3. Pretty soon I will switch to Carb Nite Solution. Right now I am about 250 and that is just too much. Being realistic with myself I am fat. Might do something drastic and take weekly pics of my gut and use it as my background for my phone. Talk about motivation haha.

Quote Originally Posted by madds87 View Post
    Landmines suck....
    Are you talking about these?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRq1b...HO-iLeRB8Ha6wg

17. That sounds sweet dude, nice. Go to town! Kill it!
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/226478-country-gets-huge.html#post3905023

18. Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk88 View Post
    Going great right now. After my cycle cut back on the carbs. Well stopped doing carbs on rest days haha. This helped strip some fat. Strength is still strong. Did close grip ELECT with fat gripz extreme today 305 for 3. Pretty soon I will switch to Carb Nite Solution. Right now I am about 250 and that is just too much. Being realistic with myself I am fat. Might do something drastic and take weekly pics of my gut and use it as my background for my phone. Talk about motivation haha.

Are you talking about these?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRq1b...HO-iLeRB8Ha6wg
    Hey my old friend. Don't worry i'm in a fat period myself right now but 11 days of no carbs has got me down 6lbs so far Need to get the abs back.

19. Quote Originally Posted by mixedup

Hey my old friend. Don't worry i'm in a fat period myself right now but 11 days of no carbs has got me down 6lbs so far Need to get the abs back.
    Thanks for chiming in. Also welcome here in my log.

Ya I think I will wait till I am done with Prometheus Rising and Primal Male. Then I will do a 10 day prep phase and start low carbing. During that time I will deload. I can tell my body is craving a break. Probably why my sleep has been crappy lately. Finding it harder to fall asleep which hadn't been a problem as of late.

20. I was thinking today's leg workout was going to destroy them.

Leg ext: 1 set of 20 warm up
    Seated leg curl: 1 set of 20 warm up

Lying leg curl: 1 set of 20 warm up, 15 reps, 12 reps, 8 reps, then use 12 rep weight for 10 reps followed by 21 partials
    Bb stiff leg deadlifts using 25s instead of 45s: 2 sets of 10 warm up 95 pounds, 2 sets of 10 with 195 pounds

Squats: 45*20, 135*10, 225*5, 275*5, 315*5, 345*5, 365*5, 325*5 then stretch
    Leg press 3 sec negative explode up: started with 1 plate working up to work set weight. Used 5 plates for 3 sets of 10 reps then stretch
    Hack squats 3 sets of 10 reps 2 plates each side 3 sec negative. 3rd set drop set 1 plate for 15 reps going to the bottom releasing weight and exploding up.

I definitely felt the workout but wasn't quite destroyed as I expect. Don't get me wrong I was beat. Heck I sat down to change my shoes and when I tried to stand up I fell right back down. Can't imagine doing a similar workout while low carbing.

21. I'm in the process of reading through this monster but since it'll prob take me a few days I figure ill just ask what your overall thoughts are after doing CBL for awhile? Lean up at all? Strength/mass increase? Enjoyment ha? Just a brief synopsis if you don't mind. I've been looking through a million CBL related logs and this is only the second that has been thorough and lengthy
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Product Rep - [email protected] .com

22. Quote Originally Posted by booneman77 View Post
    I'm in the process of reading through this monster but since it'll prob take me a few days I figure ill just ask what your overall thoughts are after doing CBL for awhile? Lean up at all? Strength/mass increase? Enjoyment ha? Just a brief synopsis if you don't mind. I've been looking through a million CBL related logs and this is only the second that has been thorough and lengthy
    I have to be honest this log is pretty crappy when it comes to basing an opinion of CBL. It is a bunch of my ramblings.

With that said I think CBL is great. When I keep my carbs on just days I lift and my carb eating within 4 hours of my workout it works great to lean me out. Others can probably be a little more lenient. The upper limit of the body fat % that is considered ideal is 15% and I know I am above that so I have to tweak it to work for me. I am going to switch to Carb Nite Solution to really get my weight down so I can see even better results with CBL.

I would say it is easy to make strength and mass gains on CBL. Even just taking protein, creatine, and leucine I have made great gains. Has made me consider not doing more cycles. Which is pretty crazy when you consider I usually add 75 pounds to my deadlift for cycles.

By far this has been my most enjoyable diet. Make great gains while eating foods I love. Last night I beat my legs up so I decided to food my body. Had jasmine rice, beef mei fun, and boneless spare ribs all mixed together. Did that meal twice. After the 1st one I had a over ripe banana. Then an hour after my 2nd meal I had a small square of some rice cake and a big bowl of strawberry ice cream with a banana. What other diet is going to not only allow that but consider that ideal?

23. Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk88 View Post
    I have to be honest this log is pretty crappy when it comes to basing an opinion of CBL. It is a bunch of my ramblings.

With that said I think CBL is great. When I keep my carbs on just days I lift and my carb eating within 4 hours of my workout it works great to lean me out. Others can probably be a little more lenient. The upper limit of the body fat % that is considered ideal is 15% and I know I am above that so I have to tweak it to work for me. I am going to switch to Carb Nite Solution to really get my weight down so I can see even better results with CBL.

I would say it is easy to make strength and mass gains on CBL. Even just taking protein, creatine, and leucine I have made great gains. Has made me consider not doing more cycles. Which is pretty crazy when you consider I usually add 75 pounds to my deadlift for cycles.

By far this has been my most enjoyable diet. Make great gains while eating foods I love. Last night I beat my legs up so I decided to food my body. Had jasmine rice, beef mei fun, and boneless spare ribs all mixed together. Did that meal twice. After the 1st one I had a over ripe banana. Then an hour after my 2nd meal I had a small square of some rice cake and a big bowl of strawberry ice cream with a banana. What other diet is going to not only allow that but consider that ideal?
    That last sentence is one of the major reasons that this diet is so appealing to me. I have no problem constructing and following a rigid diet and getting myself down to 7-8%bf but it really burns me out both mentally and physically after 16 weeks or so. It'd be nice to have something like this to switch up to after that and be able to avoid serious fat gain and still add the muscle and strength back that you can lose while cutting. Did you end up sticking pretty close to the carb amounts that JK suggests after your carb depletion or did you have to tweak alot? And how clean did you keep them to still lean out?

24. Quote Originally Posted by booneman77

That last sentence is one of the major reasons that this diet is so appealing to me. I have no problem constructing and following a rigid diet and getting myself down to 7-8%bf but it really burns me out both mentally and physically after 16 weeks or so. It'd be nice to have something like this to switch up to after that and be able to avoid serious fat gain and still add the muscle and strength back that you can lose while cutting. Did you end up sticking pretty close to the carb amounts that JK suggests after your carb depletion or did you have to tweak alot? And how clean did you keep them to still lean out?
    Just don't use it as an excuse to eat like a fat and then blame then diet if you get fat haha. I think it would be great to test out in the off season though.
    To be honest I don't really count my macros. It is a lot of guesstimating. The important things in my opinion are pre workout fat, protein, and carbs. Making sure I eat enough fat. Getting close to half my bw in grams for protein. Keeping carbs as low as possible. Then I would say post training make sure I get enough protein. Post workout I wait 20ish minutes, I have my shake, wait 30 then eat as much protein and carbs as I want/can. About an hour later I have a small dessert like ice cream or turnovers. I try to keep it as simple as I can, but then again I still have plenty of body fat I can lose.

25. Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk88 View Post

Just don't use it as an excuse to eat like a fat and then blame then diet if you get fat haha. I think it would be great to test out in the off season though.
    To be honest I don't really count my macros. It is a lot of guesstimating. The important things in my opinion are pre workout fat, protein, and carbs. Making sure I eat enough fat. Getting close to half my bw in grams for protein. Keeping carbs as low as possible. Then I would say post training make sure I get enough protein. Post workout I wait 20ish minutes, I have my shake, wait 30 then eat as much protein and carbs as I want/can. About an hour later I have a small dessert like ice cream or turnovers. I try to keep it as simple as I can, but then again I still have plenty of body fat I can lose.
    Ha ya I love how all of his stuff on the outside shows total junk but once you read deeper he's really against eating garbage. But cake sells ha. I'm fine not overindulging as I eat extremely clean 99% of the time anyways but on a cut its so tempting to cheat and eat a tub of ice cream or pizza which in my case wrecks me for like 4 days. Flexible is the key here. Thanks for all the info. Def subbed for the good convo going on as well ha
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Product Rep - [email protected] .com
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. NutraPro - cake batter and cin bun
    By erokyrwrld in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-28-2010, 04:47 PM
  2. Rice Cake Pizzas
    By wophood in forum Recipes
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-29-2009, 03:08 PM
  3. Cup Cake Batter protein.