Tomhawk Is Eating His Cake And Having It Too (CBL)

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Was about to eat and post up my workout. Sister called and needs some help with her car.

It was the 1st time I ran through this particular workout so getting the weight right was basically guessing. I will give a little teaser and tell you I checked my weight after my workout. I started this last Sunday(4/15) at 233. In the book it estimates 60% of this 10 day weight loss is water and the rest is fat.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Alright had to change my sister's tire.

Today was shoulders and triceps

0 Chest stretch warm up 2 sets of 30 seconds

0 DB side laterals warm up 2 sets 10 reps
15s

1 Seated military press ELECT 5 sets of 3 reps

1 Cable upright rows ELECT 5 sets of 3 reps
5 to 14 going up 1 each time. Obiviously we underestimated ourselves haha. Next time will start at like 6 and do jumps of 2 instead of 1.

2 DB side laterals normal 2 sets 8 reps
40*8,8

Floor press ELECT 5 sets of 3 reps
135 to 215 going up by 10 pounds each set. Probably just make bigger jumps next time

Dips normal 2 sets 10 reps
10*10, 20*10 I know pretty weak, but I didnt want to rush into too quickly. Havent been doing dips at all. I tend to get better at them pretty quick.

Standing DB curls normal 2 sets of 10 reps
40*10,9

Any questions about the work speak up. To be honest the numbers dont seem to be down. So I dont think I am losing muscle. Felt like my muscles and verins were showing more than usual. Just a few more days and the carb frenzy will begin.

After my workout I checked my weight. It was 233 at the start, but this was in the afternoon. Wasnt super fed but drink was present. Today after my workout I was 228.8. That is a difference of 4.2 pounds. With that kind of weight loss the suggested carb back load is 386 grams of carbs. I sure hope I lose some more weight haha.

Alright after that there surely has to be some questions haha.

Also despite this diet my libido seems to be up.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
What is the formula to figure out how much of a backload you need is it 1.5 times your body weight or something.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What is the formula to figure out how much of a backload you need is it 1.5 times your body weight or something.
There are to ways to figure it out. The 10 day prep phase which I am doing now. The other is simply bodyweight. The body weight one doesnt seem nearly as effective. The prep phase is more based on how you respond to carbs and obviously we all respond differently. For your body weight of 208(I rounded down) your suggested carb back load would be 728.

For my current prep phase weight loss(4.25) my carb back load would be estimated at 386 grams of carbs. With each 0.25 pounds lost it is about 23 grams of carbs. If I just went by bodyweight it would be 798 grams of carbs for my carb back load haha. That is a big difference if you ask me. But this is just a starting point. Ultimately you will change your carb back load by how you feel and look.

The carb back loads are no joke as you can see.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yeah looks pretty intense. I was about to try to hop on this with you to see if I could run along side you but I think I am going to watch you and see how things go. Especially since this is geared toward people who lift later in the day. if it works like I expect it too I may very well give it a shot later. I understand there are those who mix the Lean Gains approach with this one. I am kind of curious how well that works with it.

Lots of similarities like the suggestion to have aminos and peptides post workout if you workout in the morning. If nothing else though I may adopt adding 1 scoop of casein to my post workout aminos which would basically get me all the way up to my fast breaker as far as protein still being digested. I may also keep my carbs lower all day then higher at the end. Just not as severe as what you mentioned in your PM.

madds87

madds87

Awards
  • Established
yeah I wanna run it to. but seems confusing. I gotta get the book first and do some homework

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah looks pretty intense. I was about to try to hop on this with you to see if I could run along side you but I think I am going to watch you and see how things go. Especially since this is geared toward people who lift later in the day. if it works like I expect it too I may very well give it a shot later. I understand there are those who mix the Lean Gains approach with this one. I am kind of curious how well that works with it.

Lots of similarities like the suggestion to have aminos and peptides post workout if you workout in the morning. If nothing else though I may adopt adding 1 scoop of casein to my post workout aminos which would basically get me all the way up to my fast breaker as far as protein still being digested. I may also keep my carbs lower all day then higher at the end. Just not as severe as what you mentioned in your PM.
Ya I like how we are having a double conversation(time to delete some PMs haha)

It can be done with a lot less complexity. I watched a puffy 280 bodybuilder transform into a SHREDDED 230. Obviously he was doing some gear, but he hadnt looked that peeled and full before even while on gear. He didnt have the book and was just moderately following the principles of CBL.

They book helps a lot when it comes to people who dont have the ideal situation. Lots of ways to accomplish the goals which he goes into for the most part. At the end of the day it is still just a 240 page book. The forum has people willing to help.

Ya switching from Lean Gains to this would be easy. He has articles about Intermmittent Fasting on his blog. The gist of them is CBL is more muscle sparing.

Probably be a good idea to do that. I am always willing to try and make suggestions so dont be afraid to ask.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Realistically though I don't know that it would be more muscle sparing than LG considering that MOST people on LG who workout away from there fast breakers use Aminos to get the insulin spike and protein synthesis going immediately post workout and then add in 10 grams every two hours or so. His synopsis of Intermittent Fasting is really not exactly what lean gains is. He speaks of ADF and longer fasts as well as things like the Warrior, not a full on window of 16/8.

However on the same note with carbs being the controlling factor in the response then me doing as I mentioned and adding in some casein with my aminos post workout would cover that portion of the morning erasing the period he says muscle is not being grown. I mean both of them agree that muscle catabolism / wasting does not happen for 36-48 hours of extremely low calories so there should be no wasting. As I mentioned earlier I had already started doing a mini carb back load instinctively on my Burn Days by keeping carbs nice and low then having 50-100 grams of carbs with my last meal, not a ton but enough to make a difference in the following mornings workout. So I am going to see if this little concoction will work nicely for me.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Realistically though I don't know that it would be more muscle sparing than LG considering that MOST people on LG who workout away from there fast breakers use Aminos to get the insulin spike and protein synthesis going immediately post workout and then add in 10 grams every two hours or so. His synopsis of Intermittent Fasting is really not exactly what lean gains is. He speaks of ADF and longer fasts as well as things like the Warrior, not a full on window of 16/8.

However on the same note with carbs being the controlling factor in the response then me doing as I mentioned and adding in some casein with my aminos post workout would cover that portion of the morning erasing the period he says muscle is not being grown. I mean both of them agree that muscle catabolism / wasting does not happen for 36-48 hours of extremely low calories so there should be no wasting. As I mentioned earlier I had already started doing a mini carb back load instinctively on my Burn Days by keeping carbs nice and low then having 50-100 grams of carbs with my last meal, not a ton but enough to make a difference in the following mornings workout. So I am going to see if this little concoction will work nicely for me.
There are some similarities, but there are some key differences. Someone could follow Lean Gains, do some tweaking, and be almost doing CBL. That is why I tried to make sure I used the term intermmittent fasting and not Lean Gains in my earlier posts. He does advocate a 12 hour fast, but not much more than that.

Basically I would say his opinion is that Carb Back Load is a more effective way of doing IF. But that is pretty much a given. I didnt quite get the results I wanted with Lean Gains, but it has helped me. The low carb portion of my day is a breeze. I just ate probably about 7-8oz of lean ground beef(97% lean) topped with a slice of full fat cheese plus 2 stalks of celery, and I honestly feel quite full.

A big difference is less concern about calorie intake. That doesnt mean you can go a thousand calories over/under though. More weight is put into how one feels. His diet and routine both require one to be in tune with their body.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
So then he doesn't tell you to do the whole calories in / calories out thing? That is kind of cool. I will definitely keep watching and if it seems to be working better than I will give it a shot too. Just not sure about having the junk in the house with the people who are not on the diet. We keep them eating reasonable by not having that stuff in the house for them, when we do they go NUTS!

I guess it wouldn't be too hard to do with keeping carbs extremely low with the meat patty or something. So you mentioned that you should eat less protein than we are used to on this. How much or little? Does he have specific recommendations say for you, or me how much protein would we be aiming to take in?

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So then he doesn't tell you to do the whole calories in / calories out thing? That is kind of cool. I will definitely keep watching and if it seems to be working better than I will give it a shot too. Just not sure about having the junk in the house with the people who are not on the diet. We keep them eating reasonable by not having that stuff in the house for them, when we do they go NUTS!

I guess it wouldn't be too hard to do with keeping carbs extremely low with the meat patty or something. So you mentioned that you should eat less protein than we are used to on this. How much or little? Does he have specific recommendations say for you, or me how much protein would we be aiming to take in?
Everything is more like a guideline not set in stone. If you feel like you need more or less that day then do it. Well like I said in the other PM it doesnt have to be the "bad" stuff just want to cause the insulin spike. The "bad" stuff is brought up because it is unique to most "diets" and it works great for the goal of insulin spiking.

The protein and fat are more based on your target weight(mine is 210). For the first half of my day protein would be 90-160 grams. Fat absolute minimum would be 39 grams. Pretty much seems like if anything you want more fat than protein according to the forum. For the Carb Back Load portion of my day my protein is 57 to 102 grams of protein. Again these are just guidelines.

Alright I got some food to show off.

Some chicken and cabbage plus I had some kimchi with it.

Before I ate I was a little cranky haha. I feel much better now. Should be good to go come lifting time.

LiveToLift

LiveToLift

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That looks amazing! I hate traveling, I'm starving. Lol

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That looks amazing! I hate traveling, I'm starving. Lol
It is fairly simple to make. Plus like I said the kimchi was fresh. So damn good together. I can't wait to have it with jasmine rice.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Does look good, I am getting ready to carb up for the night. Just finished a bagel and about to make some spaghetti and tear it up like I am angry at it. My insulin sensitivity is pretty high from lean gains for so long so not gonna bother with having a 2 week carb free period since not doing it exactly. I will say that keeping carbs low all day today felt like a punishment. Seems fasting was easier than just eating protein and fat.

I basically almost matched your numbers for the first half of the day about 40g fat and 110g protein

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Does look good, I am getting ready to carb up for the night. Just finished a bagel and about to make some spaghetti and tear it up like I am angry at it. My insulin sensitivity is pretty high from lean gains for so long so not gonna bother with having a 2 week carb free period since not doing it exactly. I will say that keeping carbs low all day today felt like a punishment. Seems fasting was easier than just eating protein and fat.

I basically almost matched your numbers for the first half of the day about 40g fat and 110g protein
Ya the 10 day prep phase isnt necessary. It just gives a better idea of carb back loads. Plus it is good for fatties like me haha.

The 40 grams of fat is the MINIMUM. I probably had more like double that if not a little more. The olive oil was used freely while cooking the chicken and cabbage.

jasmine rice is amazing!
Haha glad to see you know about the good stuff. Jasmine rice is PERFECT for carb back loading. Brown rice is NOT good for it.

I had a DAMN good back workout. Plan on finishing off the chicken and cabbage with some kimchi then posting it up.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My favorite workout of the week!

0 Lat pull downs warm up 3 sets of 10 reps

0 Deadlift warm up 2 sets of 8 reps
135 for both

1 Deadlift ELECT 3 reps

1 BB rows ELECT 3 reps

X Deadlift 1 set 1 rep
Will get back to you on this one

2 Close grip pulldowns normal 3 sets
210*8,10, 230*8

1 BB shrugs ELECT 3 reps

1 High wide pulley rows ELECT 3 reps
This turned into a SUPER ego contest haha. Mario wouldnt back down haha. Started off SUPER light, and ended with the whole stack haha. We had a little audience going, and I am pretty sure they were entertained.

2 Bent over DB side laterals normal 3 sets
25*10,10, 30*13

U DB bench press normal 2 sets
95*13,12

Alright now for the fun part DEADLIFTS! Last week I did 515 for 4 with some suspect form. That is an estimated max of 577.

Not too shabby if you ask me. Felt easier than I expected. I would guess I could get around 600. Which is probably about the most I have done while not on cycle. I honestly just dont focus on my deadlift too much while off cycle. It is my best gauge of raw power so it fits into a cycle naturally haha.

Finished the rest of my chicken and cabbage with some kimchi. I have to make that meal again soon.

CaptHowdy5150

CaptHowdy5150

Awards
  • Established
Git r done man.

CaptHowdy5150

CaptHowdy5150

Awards
  • Established
Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
And that's never a bad thing.
Oh ya especially when I plan on getting STRONGER! I would guess my morning weight is about 227(we will see tomorrow). 585/227=2.58 times my bodyweight. A step in the right direction. As a bonus I will put up Mario's numbers. 455(easy enough)/200(guess)= 2.28.

dude nice weight!!!
Thanks man, it felt damn good to have to use 6 plates again. I cant lie it is awesome being a weight thief haha. Got quite a few looks today. The ELECT deadlifts were DAMN noisy haha. Basically 3 bouncing reps with a twist. The pumps were crazy, and this is day 10 of being depleted of carbs. It is ALMOST time to start using carbs as a drug. I can only imagine how this would be on cycle. Oh and I was amped up today. Nice and loud I bet people LOVE having me around haha.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Alright went ahead and checked my weight. Checked it without taking in any water or even coffee. Plus dropped a deuce right before I stepped on the scale. It read 225.4 pounds. I figure the day I first checked it I was holding about a pound from food and drink. So lets go 232 instead of 233. So 232-225.4= 6.6 round to 6.5 pounds. The guideline suggest 591 for my carb back load haha. Tomorrow it goes down! It will be chest and bicep day so I will be earning it.

Today I just did core so I figure I didnt do enough to warrant the big carb back load. I figure the first one should be a monster and adjust by how I feel from there. The food will be plentiful. Have a pizza that I will be making, and should be getting some kind of dessert tomorrow. Hopefully this weekend presents some opportunities to carb up.

Thinking about doing the core workout again on Saturday along with some arms. Because I tend to have decent meals on Saturdays. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday are a given as far as Carb Back Loads. Wednesday might have a mini back load.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
HELLO T :)

subb'd in this mo'fo

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Holy Crap 500+ grams of carbs in 2 meals sounds rough!

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Haha I thought that might get a little attention.

I will spread them out a little. Steady supply of high glycemic carbs to keep a the insulin spike u. Plus using leucine and creatine. Later I will be adding hydro whey.

TurningGreen

TurningGreen

Awards
I have enough trouble getting 250g down in a day can't even begin to imagine doubling that...damn bro.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have enough trouble getting 250g down in a day can't even begin to imagine doubling that...damn bro.
It will be a fun challenge that is for sure.

I think it is the reason for the "dirty" foods. Makes it so much easier to get in high glycemic carbs that cause the insulin spike NEEDED. Imagine how much potatoes, grapes, bananas, and what not it would take to get that kind of response. And remember I took a full pound off how much I lost. So it would have been 92 more grams of carbs.

2012-04-25_19-08-57_327.jpg

A little something I had earlier. Also had a can of tuna(55g of protein) The red stuff is kimchi. Need to get more of it. Got a jar of it yesterday, and there is about a quarter left haha.

TurningGreen

TurningGreen

Awards
Ha! I went through a jar of Webbers Hot Texan Mustard in a day. It's amazing how much you rely on low or zero calorie condiments to keep the clean foods interesting. I think I could eat that stuff with a spoon LOL!

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ha! I went through a jar of Webbers Hot Texan Mustard in a day. It's amazing how much you rely on low or zero calorie condiments to keep the clean foods interesting. I think I could eat that stuff with a spoon LOL!
It isnt even the low calorie part. I just love some kimchi. Hadnt had it in so long and then saw it on the food list. But it hasnt been hurting flavor.

Subb'd :yikes:

Food looks amazing.
Just wait for the carb back loads. Good to have you in here.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I have heard of kimchi over and over again but don't know what exactly it is or what kind of flavor it has. Is it spicy?

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I take it back in dirty calories I could easily hit 500, that is ONLY 10 Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream Pies!!!! I have gone through a box of those in a couple of hours during some of my old school recreational days. So I bet a lot of people use Lr3 on this diet during the back load. I know it would make it much easier to eat 500+ grams of carbs.

LiveToLift

LiveToLift

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I take it back in dirty calories I could easily hit 500, that is ONLY 10 Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream Pies!!!! I have gone through a box of those in a couple of hours during some of my old school recreational days. So I bet a lot of people use Lr3 on this diet during the back load. I know it would make it much easier to eat 500+ grams of carbs.
Recreational as in post blunt days.... ;-) I feel ya there!!!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Recreational as in post blunt days.... ;-) I feel ya there!!!
Right, they used to sell a product her called Grub On... I think that was the name. I was always like why the hell would I take a pill for that. I can do my thing, get plenty hungry and not care that the world is going to sh!t all at the same time. Was better than xanax...

Man I can remember times I ate myself sick... Just scary.

LiveToLift

LiveToLift

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Right, they used to sell a product her called Grub On... I think that was the name. I was always like why the hell would I take a pill for that. I can do my thing, get plenty hungry and not care that the world is going to sh!t all at the same time. Was better than xanax...

Man I can remember times I ate myself sick... Just scary.
Yep, I still take a trip down memory lane here and there! Keeps me grounded and is like a treat for all the damn hard work I put in!

madds87

madds87

Awards
  • Established
I have heard of kimchi over and over again but don't know what exactly it is or what kind of flavor it has. Is it spicy?
kimchi is a sprout. im not sure from wat bean. but its real good boiled and then hott sauce.... a very watery vegetable. just salt is good to. you can normallybuy it by thelb at chinese distribution centers.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
kimchi is a sprout. im not sure from wat bean. but its real good boiled and then hott sauce.... a very watery vegetable. just salt is good to. you can normallybuy it by thelb at chinese distribution centers.
Thanks, I will have to give it a shot sometime.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This isnt right. He was thinking of something else. Kimchi isnt something in particular. It is more of a way to ferment vegetables and has added seasoning. It is a Korean thing. Usually it is some kind of leafy vegetable, but you can also get cucumber kimchi. Pretty much any Asian market should have some kimchi.

Just finished my post workout shake. Going to hit up some food soon. My stomach doesnt seem to like something. It is making all kinds of noise.

Had a damn good workout though. Will post about it later if I dont pass out first haha.

madds87

madds87

Awards
  • Established
This isnt right. He was thinking of something else. Kimchi isnt something in particular. It is more of a way to ferment vegetables and has added seasoning. It is a Korean thing. Usually it is some kind of leafy vegetable, but you can also get cucumber kimchi. Pretty much any Asian market should have some kimchi.

Just finished my post workout shake. Going to hit up some food soon. My stomach doesnt seem to like something. It is making all kinds of noise.

Had a damn good workout though. Will post about it later if I dont pass out first haha.
yes we just talked about this. lol kimchi is diff I was thinking of something else.... sry lol

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
yes we just talked about this. lol kimchi is diff I was thinking of something else.... sry lol
Haha well it isnt like I am Korean. I just love the stuff like I am haha.

Alright so a good amount of carbs down the hatch.

2 scoops of protein, 1 scoop waxy maize starch, 1 scoop creatine mono, 1 scoop RecoverPro. really ripe banana

Jasmine rice, collard green, some lean pork, kimchi. apple turnover. 1 cup of white grapes

I am thinking I have plenty of room. I will say I am sweating from eating haha.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ok just added half a home made pizza(not doing that again haha) and another apple turnover. Plus I had some chocolate milk with my protein shake. It is so odd counting up these carbs. When I try to avoid them it seems like they are everywhere. Now that I "need" them I cant seem to get enough of them haha.

Also want to say I did end up doing another "posing" video. Again NOT showing it haha, but I can see a BIG difference. The 1st video was a month ago. Thinking about making this a monthly thing to note progress. It would be cool to do pics, but it is even harder to hide while doing a video.

I will say progress is very clear. My workout partner said I look pumped before we even started. There is definitely more muscle finding its way through the fat. It would be awesome to be suspected of being on cycle while natty. Then maybe later actually go on cycle haha. I really want to see how this effects me independently. Right now things are pretty basic.

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm gonna have to make time to follow this one... Got some catching up to doooo

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ill have to give it a try at some point.
Ya it is fairly simple, but like anything can be made a lot more complicated.

Feeling a little bloated, but I did take in roughly 400 or so carbs. Tuesdays and Thursdays are late workout days.

The workout went well. It was chest and biceps which is the workout I am most familiar with on this program. Did a little heavier on a few things. Plus added in 2 extra sets of pec deck. Seemed to get pumped up real easy. Didn't do the X set. Might do it tomorrow which will be squats. The recommendation is to do 1 X set per week, but why not do more IF I am feeling up to it. The deadlift of 585 was my X set.

jwa254

jwa254

Awards
  • Established
gonna pick up some kimchi from the local asian market this evening I think. its time to try it

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I live like 3 minutes away from an area often referred to as Little Vietnam, and we have a pretty good size Asian Market there. I need to get my arse over there and do a little shopping. Can anyone make any recommendations for other foods I may want to give a shot while I am in there? You know, stuff that is good but we just don't tend to find at an Asian buffet.

I like Sushi, wassabe, stir fry, all the typical Americanized Asian foods. I love chili sauce, saracha, most kinds of vegetables. SO any suggestions to expand my horizons with some more less known things would be great.