405x3x2
    455x3x3

Cambered Box Squats
    275x3x7

Walking DB Lunges
    55x12x4

Ab Wheel
    BWx10x4

Good session. Felt really lethargic going to the gym, but was able to flip a switch and lock in once I started pulling. I feel like I'm really getting some benefitting from the deficit pulls in terms of regaining some hip mobility, specifically relieving some impingement in my right hip flexor. Still going to take it somewhat easy for the rest of the week since the crew is smaller because most of the people are out of town and shooting for a 1RM on squats isn't a safe idea with only 1-2 people.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

2. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    12/26

Deficit Pulls
    315x2
    365x2x4

Elevated Pulls
    405x3x2
    455x3x3

Cambered Box Squats
    275x3x7

Walking DB Lunges
    55x12x4

Ab Wheel
    BWx10x4

Good session. Felt really lethargic going to the gym, but was able to flip a switch and lock in once I started pulling. I feel like I'm really getting some benefitting from the deficit pulls in terms of regaining some hip mobility, specifically relieving some impingement in my right hip flexor. Still going to take it somewhat easy for the rest of the week since the crew is smaller because most of the people are out of town and shooting for a 1RM on squats isn't a safe idea with only 1-2 people.
    So you're saying the deficit pulls are helping your hips??
    Are you pulling sumo, and are you wearing briefs?
    I'm only asking because I just thought deficit pulls would bother my already aching hips
    •   

3. I always pull sumo and I was wearing my suit bottoms. My hips have felt better since I implemented them because it has really reinforced my technique in terms of pushing out on the feet and really keeping my hips low.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

4. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I always pull sumo and I was wearing my suit bottoms. My hips have felt better since I implemented them because it has really reinforced my technique in terms of pushing out on the feet and really keeping my hips low.
    Actually a friend of mine has a suit that he tore into a pair of briefs, and was going to sell them for twenty
    Bucks.
    The thing is that I don't squat or pull sumo but I do squat decently wide, and I pull conventional.
    i'm thinking I could probably use them for protecting my hips during ME squats..

What do you guys think?

i apologize i didn't mean to derail the thread I just figured this would be a good bunch of people to consult

5. I'd get them.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

6. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I'd get them.
    I appreciate the quick feedback sir. that is what the gym owner was telling me, I just figured I'd get a few more opinions

.. And for twenty bucks you can't really go wrong

7. Quote Originally Posted by aceroni View Post
    I appreciate the quick feedback sir. that is what the gym owner was telling me, I just figured I'd get a few more opinions

.. And for twenty bucks you can't really go wrong
    Enjoy the ride. Gear is such a fun ride, but it is very challenging mentally. There are days where the gear works against you, but the PRs that you set make it well worth it.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

8. Thanks man. I'm not intending to get a full squat suit or anything of that sort just yet. I just really want to feel these briefs out, see if they help me out.
    My only thought with them is that hopefully they wont push my stance out too far, to the point that i lose quad involvement.

9. Hey Rodja, check some of your current threads. We got people waiting on you for some ;-)
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative

10. Quote Originally Posted by Distilled Water View Post
    Hey Rodja, check some of your current threads. We got people waiting on you for some ;-)
    Which one in particular?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

•   

11. You won USPs versa.....lucky
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

12. 12/28

ME Upper

Bench
    315x3
    315x5

2-board
    335x7

This was from from my best session. For whatever reason, I was really struggling with my groove and my shoulders kept coming out as a result. My ME sessions have been a bit inconsistent and it's becoming frustrating.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

13. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    12/28

ME Upper

Bench
    315x3
    315x5

2-board
    335x7

This was from from my best session. For whatever reason, I was really struggling with my groove and my shoulders kept coming out as a result. My ME sessions have been a bit inconsistent and it's becoming frustrating.
    What do you mean by your shoulders coming out?
    you're training raw for a little while?

14. Quote Originally Posted by aceroni View Post
    What do you mean by your shoulders coming out?
    you're training raw for a little while?
    By shoulders coming out, I mean losing my retraction and depression of the scapula. Right now is raw for upper and briefs on lower.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

15. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post

By shoulders coming out, I mean losing my retraction and depression of the scapula. Right now is raw for upper and briefs on lower.
    Do shirts help with the retraction? I know they help with tucking your elbows and by stabilizing your shoulder joint, I just wasn't sure about the prior.

16. Quote Originally Posted by aceroni View Post
    Do shirts help with the retraction? I know they help with tucking your elbows and by stabilizing your shoulder joint, I just wasn't sure about the prior.
    They make it harder to retract the scapula. Both shirts and straps on a squat suit pull you forward and make it difficult to stay tight.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

17. 12/31

Squat (suit bottoms only)

405x3
    455x3
    495x2
    545x1 (added wraps)
    565x1

Good Mornings
    225x10
    245x10
    275x8

Unilateral Leg Press (weight added)
    270x15
    360x15x3

Standing Cable Crunches
    100x15
    120x15x3

Starting to reacclimatize to getting heavier loads on my back and getting my knees stronger. I've had to shuffle around my days a lot lately, which has been frustrating, but the crew should be back this weekend and I'll be able to get in more consistent training. I never got a chance to hit my "realization" block, so I may restart my block or just scrap it all together and start a completely new wave of training.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

18. 1/1

Neutral Pullups
    BWx10
    BW+20x7x2
    BW+20x6

OHP
    145x8
    145x7x2

CG Incline
    185x5x3
    185x4

HS Neutral Unilateral Row
    135x15
    160x10x3

YW
    15x8x4

Getting some momentum back in my vertical training, which I neglected for the better part of the Fall. My OHP strength is down about 15%, but my neutral pullups are getting much better. I've decided to change some things up to focus more on strength building instead of strength testing and only going for ~95-100% if I KNOW that I will complete the rep. I've put too much into training and have lost sight that I need to focus on building myself for meets by my training.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

19. I wonder about things like your comment when looking at ME/DE type training is when to get serious OHPs in and weighted pull ups without taking away from the main three in the workout...

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com
    Training Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/271254-what-aw-hell.html
    "Jackie Treehorn treats objects like woman man."

20. Quote Originally Posted by rob112 View Post
    I wonder about things like your comment when looking at ME/DE type training is when to get serious OHPs in and weighted pull ups without taking away from the main three in the workout...Sent from my iPhone using Am.com
    I know that Wendler has been big on OHP for a long time, but what has shifted my paradigm very recently was a line out of Lilly's Cube Method. "We focus too much on strength testing and not enough time on strength building." Essentially, focusing training more towards becoming a stronger person overall and putting just as much value on a 3RM, 5RM, etc. I shifted away from straight DE training for upper body for awhile as the numbers between raw and geared are too wide for the loads being used to really have carryover for me. This, again, comes back to becoming a stronger person and I have made what was my DE into either a RE or a SE (submaximal effort) on upper body. Same thing with lower: I've shifted from a DE to a RE with more angles of attack for my deadlifts by using 2-3 forms in each session (e.g. deficit and elevated). Another thing that I've been doing, which is in line with Cube thinking, is to vary my loads on my DL and squat sessions. For example, each day has the same focus: DL on Wednesday and squat of Friday. However, one week will be heavy DL and speed squat with the following week flipped.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

21. That is a very powerful quote. I have not read anything on cube method yet. I will check it out. I actually am starting to tamper with a flip on the squat/dead similarly. Only thing I noticed is my dead for ME have to be more of the variations on hip/hamstring movements as I wasn't able to match a deadlift of a session two weeks prior. Had to tennis ball and roll out the glutes/hips more than usually.

I also have been reading more block method stuff and really think I need to do more than 1rm on ME days to periodize and prevent injury. Maybe even a second try at 5/3/1. Still deciding. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com
    Training Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/271254-what-aw-hell.html
    "Jackie Treehorn treats objects like woman man."

22. 1/2

Sumo Pulls
    405x3
    455x2
    495x1
    535x1
    565x1
    585x1

Elevated Sumo
    405x5
    475x5x3

Ab Wheel
    BWx10x4

Usually don't pull this heavy just days after a decent squat, but I felt really good on this day and most of the crew was back, which added to the vibe. My competitive nature got the best of me and I decided to pull heavy. The last set was smooth, but I didn't feel comfortable going for another single and, everything considered, I felt it was best to call it there. It's been months since I was able to pull 605 and I want to avoid muscular failure at the gym. I can handle technical failure, but there is no reason for me to train to that level at this point.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

23. 1/4

Bench
    315x5
    added shirt
    365x1 (3 board)
    405x1x2 (2 board)
    455x1x2 (2 board)

Flat DB Presses
    85x8x2
    90x8

Meadows' Rows
    90x10x4

Rope Pressdowns/Facepulls
    70x15/90x15
    70x15/90x15
    70x15/100x15

First time I've put on my shirt in about 8 weeks and the weight gain in that time (~10#) has made the shirt fit differently. It's slightly closer to my elbow and have to jack the shirt quite low on my chest. My first sets felt really tight until I moved the shirt down and initially had trouble touching 405 to a 2-board. I called it at 455 as I'm adjusting to the new groove and I'm keeping with my mantra of never reaching failure until the meet.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

24. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    1/4

Bench
    315x5
    added shirt
    365x1 (3 board)
    405x1x2 (2 board)
    455x1x2 (2 board)

Flat DB Presses
    85x8x2
    90x8

Meadows' Rows
    90x10x4

Rope Pressdowns/Facepulls
    70x15/90x15
    70x15/90x15
    70x15/100x15

First time I've put on my shirt in about 8 weeks and the weight gain in that time (~10#) has made the shirt fit differently. It's slightly closer to my elbow and have to jack the shirt quite low on my chest. My first sets felt really tight until I moved the shirt down and initially had trouble touching 405 to a 2-board. I called it at 455 as I'm adjusting to the new groove and I'm keeping with my mantra of never reaching failure until the meet.
    Solid work Rodja! That's a nice bench..
    This is a secret between us but i'm going to hopefully attend an upcoming meet this spring (watch, work permitting) and apparently Matt huff (sp?) Is doing some big benching there

25. 1/6
    Squat (suit bottoms)

405x3
    455x3
    495x2
    545x1
    405x5x3

Ab Wheel
    46 reps (4 sets)

I've been looking back at some of my logs and realized that I've been doing really, really well on my squat despite not hitting an overall PR. My PR is in full gear, wraps, and straps up, but I haven't done so in quite some time and won't be until I get a new suit. I'm going to make my current suit into briefs, which is why I've been using them so frequently in training.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

26. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I know that Wendler has been big on OHP for a long time, but what has shifted my paradigm very recently was a line out of Lilly's Cube Method. "We focus too much on strength testing and not enough time on strength building." Essentially, focusing training more towards becoming a stronger person overall and putting just as much value on a 3RM, 5RM, etc. I shifted away from straight DE training for upper body for awhile as the numbers between raw and geared are too wide for the loads being used to really have carryover for me. This, again, comes back to becoming a stronger person and I have made what was my DE into either a RE or a SE (submaximal effort) on upper body. Same thing with lower: I've shifted from a DE to a RE with more angles of attack for my deadlifts by using 2-3 forms in each session (e.g. deficit and elevated). Another thing that I've been doing, which is in line with Cube thinking, is to vary my loads on my DL and squat sessions. For example, each day has the same focus: DL on Wednesday and squat of Friday. However, one week will be heavy DL and speed squat with the following week flipped.
    the last part is in line with supertraining

27. Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou321 View Post
    the last part is in line with supertraining
    As in the gym or the book by Siff?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

28. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    As in the gym or the book by Siff?
    The gym, sorry.

29. 1/8

Flat Bench
    225x5x4

Meadows Rows
    90x12x3
    115x10 (used straps)

JM Press
    135x12x4

Pressdowns/BB Curls/Facepulls
    90x15/85x12/90x15
    90x15/85x12/100x15
    90x15/85x12/100x15

Got in some solid work today. We have a competition bench now and it feels much different compared to the junk we were using. The j-peg is larger than it should be, but that's a minor complaint. I am having to adjust to the different base that the wider bench has and it actually made me feel more unstable, which is really weird. It has been awhile since I did some JM presses, so I went light with some nice TUT and really focused on the triceps.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

30. Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou321 View Post
    The gym, sorry.
    Gotcha. The gym is actually named after the book. Bell met Siff and got an autographed copy before he passed.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

Similar Forum Threads

1. Hanging weights during pull-ups/dips...
    By soseg in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 10-19-2012, 05:20 PM
  2. Replies: 29
    Last Post: 12-11-2008, 06:42 PM
  3. How effective are hanging crunches?
    By Fergs103 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-13-2008, 06:28 PM
  4. weight just hanging around
    By frezel in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 47