Hanging out on the Westside

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Lucky man, I have yet to see sumo bring up any aspect of my conv pull.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I can not get the groove on sumo or get the form right. So my conventional sits about 50-100lbs more then my sumo. I worked on sumo for a few monthes and my conventional didnt budge. Ill read the article.
I'll have a video up either next week or the week after that.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'll have a video up either next week or the week after that.
Ill start videoing my sumo from the front and sides to get you to look at it. Maybe you can help me. I can pull sumo really well in a suit but not raw. Mostly bc the form is not the same at all.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ill start videoing my sumo from the front and sides to get you to look at it. Maybe you can help me. I can pull sumo really well in a suit but not raw. Mostly bc the form is not the same at all.
I ordered some Titan Centurion briefs last week. They should be here today.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I ordered some Titan Centurion briefs last week. They should be here today.
Did you order from titan?

I order the super centurion suit however they gave me one that was 2 sizes to big. Took six weeks to come and itll take another 6-8 weeks to get the right size. lol.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Did you order from titan?

I order the super centurion suit however they gave me one that was 2 sizes to big. Took six weeks to come and itll take another 6-8 weeks to get the right size. lol.
No, I got them off Ebay. I've heard that both Inzer and Titan have painfully slow service.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
No, I got them off Ebay. I've heard that both Inzer and Titan have painfully slow service.
Youve heard right. The only reason I ordered from them was bc I wanted a bench shirt too but I didnt know what size to get. See if you put your measurements on the site they picked the best size for you. My shirt fits but they screwed my suit up. I shoulda went with metal lol.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Youve heard right. The only reason I ordered from them was bc I wanted a bench shirt too but I didnt know what size to get. See if you put your measurements on the site they picked the best size for you. My shirt fits but they screwed my suit up. I shoulda went with metal lol.
One of the guys I used to train with has some old Pro briefs that he's trying to sell me. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
One of the guys I used to train with has some old Pro briefs that he's trying to sell me. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted.
Ace pro briefs? If they fit Id deff get them if the price is right. I tried on my partners size 50 metal ace pro squat suit tonight and thats the suit I wont, no doubt. Best feel and fit.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ace pro briefs? If they fit Id deff get them if the price is right. I tried on my partners size 50 metal ace pro squat suit tonight and thats the suit I wont, no doubt. Best feel and fit.
Not the Ace line, the regular Pro line. I tried on a size 50 Ace Pro and there was no way in hell I could get it over my thighs.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nice PR! That's a full 100lbs over my sumo dl max and a food 150 over my conventional...

Congrats!

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Not the Ace line, the regular Pro line. I tried on a size 50 Ace Pro and there was no way in hell I could get it over my thighs.
Soak the legs in water, blow up a foot ball in each leg and leave it over night. I think thats what the guy did my gym partner got his from. His fit my legs and I got it on. I have 27 inch thighs and so does he. Im 210 and hes 250. Usually if you got big legs no stock gear will fit you right, only custom as thats where im at.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Soak the legs in water, blow up a foot ball in each leg and leave it over night. I think thats what the guy did my gym partner got his from. His fit my legs and I got it on. I have 27 inch thighs and so does he. Im 210 and hes 250. Usually if you got big legs no stock gear will fit you right, only custom as thats where im at.
Any difference in height between you two?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
5/16 ME Upper

Bench
Barx8
Barx8
135x5
135x5
185x3
205x3
225x1
245x1
260x1
275x0
275x1

BB Rows
225x12
245x12
275x10
275x10

Rope Pressdowns/Facepulls
70x12/70x15
70x12/80x15
80x12/90x15
80x12/100x12

Not my greatest effort, but **** happens. My lower back was really tight and it lowered my leg drive. However, still making progress and can't complain.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Any difference in height between you two?
Nope, im actually an inch taller then him. He has 27inch legs and 41inch hips as I do. The velcro of the suit takes care of the head to crotch measurement and its made for a 5'7-5'9 guy which I am.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
5/16 ME Upper

Bench
Barx8
Barx8
135x5
135x5
185x3
205x3
225x1
245x1
260x1
275x0
275x1

BB Rows
225x12
245x12
275x10
275x10

Rope Pressdowns/Facepulls
70x12/70x15
70x12/80x15
80x12/90x15
80x12/100x12

Not my greatest effort, but **** happens. My lower back was really tight and it lowered my leg drive. However, still making progress and can't complain.
Do some of your warm-ups with a foam roller under your lower back, loosens me up fast every time. You got strong bb rows man.

farmtireguy

farmtireguy

Awards
  • Established
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bOB1ogIM9I">YouTube Link</a>
Nice. How do you get you r legs that far back? The most I get is far enough to get my heel about an inch or two up.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nice. How do you get you r legs that far back? The most I get is far enough to get my heel about an inch or two up.
I'm really flexible, but getting into proper bench position is NOT comfortable at all. I start with my head completely off of the bench and start arching into position with the bar over my eyes. It takes me 3-4 adjustments to get there.

farmtireguy

farmtireguy

Awards
  • Established
Ok I see I didn't realize that. Lol guess I need to suck it up.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I can achieve the same arch as rodja here with ease, 2 adjustments. You might wanna play with your feet, I find if I arch a lil to hard my feet get to an angle where I actually lose leg drive. Oh and make sure the fed you compete in allows you to pick your head up off the bench.

farmtireguy

farmtireguy

Awards
  • Established
I can achieve the same arch as rodja here with ease, 2 adjustments. You might wanna play with your feet, I find if I arch a lil to hard my feet get to an angle where I actually lose leg drive. Oh and make sure the fed you compete in allows you to pick your head up off the bench.
Ok thanks I'm not really in any fed at this point just working towards competing in the state games.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Note: The plates that I use are not standardized very well. They're each weighed out individually and have the actual amount written on them in paint.

This is the first time I've actually seen myself squat on video and I can already see some areas that I need to address (my lower back strength and my liftoff).

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Note: The plates that I use are not standardized very well. They're each weighed out individually and have the actual amount written on them in paint.

This is the first time I've actually seen myself squat on video and I can already see some areas that I need to address (my lower back strength and my liftoff).
I didnt see you elbows move under the bar. Just something that may help.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I didnt see you elbows move under the bar. Just something that may help.
Did it look a tad high to you? I know it's a downward angle and throws it off.

There's a mono at this gym and I'm going to start using it soon.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Did it look a tad high to you? I know it's a downward angle and throws it off.

There's a mono at this gym and I'm going to start using it soon.
From that angle it does look a tad high. In the apf/spf you'd prob get 2-3 white lights. In the ipf/raw united you'd get 3 red lights. Id suggest using a just below parallel box for your speed work/box squats. Also your leaning over quite a bit, could be the angle tho.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
From that angle it does look a tad high. In the apf/spf you'd prob get 2-3 white lights. In the ipf/raw united you'd get 3 red lights. Id suggest using a just below parallel box for your speed work/box squats. Also your leaning over quite a bit, could be the angle tho.
This was the first time that I've done full squats since I strained my adductor in March, so I have had to neglect low boxes for awhile, which blows. I look like I'm leaning forward, but it's actually a really hard arch in my lumbar.

Coincidentally, I plan on eventually competing in the APF/SPF and my old PL coach has instilled their depth mentality into me.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
This was the first time that I've done full squats since I strained my adductor in March, so I have had to neglect low boxes for awhile, which blows. I look like I'm leaning forward, but it's actually a really hard arch in my lumbar.

Coincidentally, I plan on eventually competing in the APF/SPF and my old PL coach has instilled their depth mentality into me.
Your depth looks fine for those feds. I competed in the apf and some guys I couldnt believe got white lights for their depth. While i was burying my squats. I see the arch now. I do all my box squating wide to a 1-2 inch low box squat. Thats how I started it so now im just use to it. My partner does all his work in his geared stance raw to a low box. Nuts.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
5/20 RE Upper

Floor Press
235x4x4

DB Flat Press
85x9
85x8
85x10

Pullups/DB Clean
BWx6/15x10
BWx7/15x10
BWx6/20x10
BWx6/20x10

Nothing too strenuous during this day. I switched in a RE instead of a DE to give my shoulders a bit of a break and since my back was still tight from squats on Friday. I know that I have a tendency to do too much in the gym and it may or may not be holding me back. The next few weeks will let me know since I'm going to be lowering the volume over the next month or so.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
5/20 RE Upper

Floor Press
235x4x4

DB Flat Press
85x9
85x8
85x10

Pullups/DB Clean
BWx6/15x10
BWx7/15x10
BWx6/20x10
BWx6/20x10

Nothing too strenuous during this day. I switched in a RE instead of a DE to give my shoulders a bit of a break and since my back was still tight from squats on Friday. I know that I have a tendency to do too much in the gym and it may or may not be holding me back. The next few weeks will let me know since I'm going to be lowering the volume over the next month or so.
Mark Bell said when hes feeling banged up in the joints he alternates RE/DE each week.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
5/21 DE Lower

Low Box Squats
235x2x8

Good Mornings/Band Crunches (2 doubled mini bands)
185x8/12
205x8/12
205x8/12
205x8/12

Sprints and ab/adductor work after training.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
5/23 ME Upper

Reverse Mini Band Bench
Barx8
Barx8
135x5
135x5
185x3
205x3
225x3
245x1
275x3 (added bands)
295x1
305x1

HS Rows (overhand grip)
180x10x3

DB Shrugs/Rear Flys
90x15/30x10
100x15/30x10
110x10/30x10

I was pretty gassed out after this session for some reason. I may not have eaten enough for the past few days and, although it didn't lower my strength, I had to go for less intense lifts after benching.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That came up really well, did you have trouble holding the lockout or did you just dump it? Looks like you have the groove for sumo.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That came up really well, did you have trouble holding the lockout or did you just dump it? Looks like you have the groove for sumo.
Lost the grip. I've finally hit a high enough DL that I have grip issues. I tried 520 and form never broke, but grip completely gave about 4" short of lockout.

nice lift man! Congratz ;)
Thanks.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Lost the grip. I've finally hit a high enough DL that I have grip issues. I tried 520 and form never broke, but grip completely gave about 4" short of lockout.

Thanks.
I find using some heavy wrist wraps and really cranking them down helps. I also use a hook grip.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I find using some heavy wrist wraps and really cranking them down helps. I also use a hook grip.
I've sprained my thumbs so many times sparring that I can't use a hook grip. This is really a good thing in that my grip is holding me back instead of my hips, which is usually the case.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I've sprained my thumbs so many times sparring that I can't use a hook grip. This is really a good thing in that my grip is holding me back instead of my hips, which is usually the case.
Still try using a heavy pair of wrist wraps itll force your hard closed. Time for fat gripz row work and kroc rows haha.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
5/29 RE Upper

Flat DB Press
90x8
100x7
100x7
100x7

HS Iso Row (neutral grip w/ Fat Gripz)
135x8
160x8
160x8
160x8

Hammer Curls (w/ Fat Gripz)/Side Laterals
40x10/30x15
40x10/30x15
40x10/30x15

Rope Pressdowns
70x10
70x10

I felt like absolute dog**** during today for whatever reason. I was really short of breath and light-headed even during my warm-up sets, so I had to curtail both the intensity and increase my rest times.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Still try using a heavy pair of wrist wraps itll force your hard closed. Time for fat gripz row work and kroc rows haha.
I'll try the hand wrap thing soon and I have, foolishly, been neglecting my Fat Gripz.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ME Lower

Squat
Barx8
Barx8
135x5
135x5
225x3
275x3
315x1
365x1
405x1
420x1
430x1
440x1 PR

GM
190x8
200x8
200x8
200x8

Standing Cable Crunches
100x15
120x15
120x15
120x15

I really wish I would have gotten this ME of film, but it's not that big of a deal. I brought my feet in a bit more than usual and I felt like it gave me more pop out of the whole and my setup today was sooooo much better than a couple of weeks back. Unlike most days, I still had some gas left in the tank after my ME, but the GM quickly did away with that.