140x8
    140x7
    140x7

DB Rows
    145x17

WY/Pressdowns
    15x8/80x15
    15x8/80x15

Kinda weird day. I had tremendous energy and focus throughout the entire session, but struggled with my bench groove. I needed 3 attempts with 405 just to touch it to a damn 2-board. I've done this dozens of times and the difficulty really forced me to take a moment and analyze some things that I was doing technically. I was so focused on loading my lats that I forgot to stay wide and patient and I'd lose the groove by rushing the bar down. Once I stepped back and reflected, I was able to get moving again and the rest of the session rocked.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

2. 9/30 ME Lower

SSB Squat
    Worked up to 590x1; briefs and straps down

DB Side Bends/Bulgarian SS (BW)
    70x15/15
    80x10/15
    85x10/15
    85x10/15

First time using a SSB and it felt really weird for the first few sets. I had to move the height of the mono up to accomodate for the thicker pad and then adjust my posture slightly. I didn't notice the increased tension on the upper back, but I did notice that it shifted a lot of the weight to my knees and quads. The last set tweaked my lumbar a bit, so I called it since it was a new movement and there's no need to push to failure on them.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

•   

3. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja
    9/30 ME Lower

SSB Squat
    Worked up to 590x1; briefs and straps down

DB Side Bends/Bulgarian SS (BW)
    70x15/15
    80x10/15
    85x10/15
    85x10/15

First time using a SSB and it felt really weird for the first few sets. I had to move the height of the mono up to accomodate for the thicker pad and then adjust my posture slightly. I didn't notice the increased tension on the upper back, but I did notice that it shifted a lot of the weight to my knees and quads. The last set tweaked my lumbar a bit, so I called it since it was a new movement and there's no need to push to failure on them.
    Good **** man I love ssb, great tool for getting stronger no doubt

4. 10/2 DE Upper

Speed Bench (minis)
    145x2x8 (2 grips)

DB Rows
    145x20

Close Grip
    225x8
    245x7

Dips/Facepulls
    BWx15/80x15
    BWx15/80x15
    BWx15/80x15
    BWx15/80x15

Solid effort on this day. Nothing too spectacular, but can't complain either. I've thrown dips back into the equation for some overall volume that is CNS friendly and because it was a mistake to throw out a staple lift like this for an extended period of time. Probably won't be adding them as a supplemental lift anytime soon, though, as I have to be cognizant of throwing in too much that could potentially strain/irritate my right shoulder.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

5. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    10/2 DE Upper

Speed Bench (minis)
    145x2x8 (2 grips)

DB Rows
    145x20

Close Grip
    225x8
    245x7

Dips/Facepulls
    BWx15/80x15
    BWx15/80x15
    BWx15/80x15
    BWx15/80x15

Solid effort on this day. Nothing too spectacular, but can't complain either. I've thrown dips back into the equation for some overall volume that is CNS friendly and because it was a mistake to throw out a staple lift like this for an extended period of time. Probably won't be adding them as a supplemental lift anytime soon, though, as I have to be cognizant of throwing in too much that could potentially strain/irritate my right shoulder.
    I havent done dips in quite some time either. I quite bc my shoulders were getting to much work at the time and it was showing in my bench. What do you see from them as far as carryover?
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou321 View Post
    I havent done dips in quite some time either. I quite bc my shoulders were getting to much work at the time and it was showing in my bench. What do you see from them as far as carryover?
    Can't really say as I've just added them back into the routine in the past three weeks or so. What I can tell, though, is that my pecs have gotten tighter and the muscle belly has slightly less elasticity than they once did. That's the main reason I'm not adding any weight for awhile as I need to work out that issue first.

After this meet, I'm thinking about doing an experiment where all I do for primary and supplemental upper-body work is bench, close-grip, dips, OHP, pullups, and rows in addition to scapula/rotator cuff work.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

7. Would love to see a video on your sumo, just started doing them as opposed to conv and felt amazing.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Mitch5 View Post
    Would love to see a video on your sumo, just started doing them as opposed to conv and felt amazing.
    Check page 10, post 198
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

9. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja

Check page 10, post 198
    So how come you push your hips way through at the top and arch back, I've always heard not to do that as it can hurt your back bad?

10. Quote Originally Posted by Mitch5 View Post
    So how come you push your hips way through at the top and arch back, I've always heard not to do that as it can hurt your back bad?
    I exaggerated the lockout on purpose.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

11. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Check page 10, post 198
    that was a nice pull, what do you weigh now?

12. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja
    10/2 DE Upper

Speed Bench (minis)
    145x2x8 (2 grips)

DB Rows
    145x20

Close Grip
    225x8
    245x7

Dips/Facepulls
    BWx15/80x15
    BWx15/80x15
    BWx15/80x15
    BWx15/80x15

I used to love weighted dips myself I always thought they were great for thickening the triceps, and seemed to help my bench strength a bit.. Unfortunately they're too easy to add too much weight, and I strained my pec going too deep and too heavy on them too often,
    Be careful my friend

13. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Can't really say as I've just added them back into the routine in the past three weeks or so. What I can tell, though, is that my pecs have gotten tighter and the muscle belly has slightly less elasticity than they once did. That's the main reason I'm not adding any weight for awhile as I need to work out that issue first.

After this meet, I'm thinking about doing an experiment where all I do for primary and supplemental upper-body work is bench, close-grip, dips, OHP, pullups, and rows in addition to scapula/rotator cuff work.
    Ive been doing something similar with my assistence work. focusing on a few main lifts to really see how they help my bench.

14. Quote Originally Posted by napalm View Post
    that was a nice pull, what do you weigh now?
    I was 209 this morning. I've been losing weigh to compete at 198 and don't want to do a big cut. I'm aiming for 10 at the most.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

15. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja

I was 209 this morning. I've been losing weigh to compete at 198 and don't want to do a big cut. I'm aiming for 10 at the most.
    Sorry I didn't read the whole thread, do you have a meet coming up? A 10 lb cut is doable in like 5 days.

16. Quote Originally Posted by napalm View Post
    Sorry I didn't read the whole thread, do you have a meet coming up? A 10 lb cut is doable in like 5 days.
    In December. I'll be able to cut that overnight. I was able to cut 17 lbs back when I was fighting and I survived that and I was 20 lbs lighter then.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

17. 10/5 ME Upper

Bench
    405x1 (3-board)
    405x1x2 (2-board)
    405x1 (1-board)
    405x1 (touched)

Lat Bar Pressdowns/YW
    90x15/15x7
    90x15/15x7
    90x15/15x7
    90x15/15x7

I finally, FINALLY was able to touch in my shirt and press the weight up. I've been tinkering with my arch and setup lately and actually reduced my arch a bit. My back tightness has returned for the past few weeks and it severely limits my leg drive and, ergo, my bench sucks for that day. Also, losing a little weight has helped me to get the shirt about 1.5" above my elbow and has helped me to stay wider to get more out of the shirt. Everything is on track for December and the total I'm chasing is 1650-1700. I'll be more conservative on my pull that day as I'll likely be fatigued from the other efforts, but I'll be chasing 665/425/585 with my eye on Elite in April. This meet is mainly to get my feet wet and to gear up for April.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

18. 10/7 ME Lower

This day went to absolute hell really quickly. I was able to loosen up pretty well, but couldn't get out of a major fog from a lack of sleep. The goal for the day was to hit 635x2, but I had to call it a day at 515. As I was attempting to rack the weight, the arms on the mono shifted (the mono I have access to is a piece of ****, no bones about it) and the weight shifted to my toes. As I tried to balance myself, I had to push on my toes and I strained my right calf. I tried to take the weight again, but it hurt too badly and I called it a day.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

19. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja
    10/7 ME Lower

This day went to absolute hell really quickly. I was able to loosen up pretty well, but couldn't get out of a major fog from a lack of sleep. The goal for the day was to hit 635x2, but I had to call it a day at 515. As I was attempting to rack the weight, the arms on the mono shifted (the mono I have access to is a piece of ****, no bones about it) and the weight shifted to my toes. As I tried to balance myself, I had to push on my toes and I strained my right calf. I tried to take the weight again, but it hurt too badly and I called it a day.
    ****ing sucks bro, we all have bad days though.. Hope you heal quickly so you can get back in it

20. Quote Originally Posted by aceroni View Post
    ****ing sucks bro, we all have bad days though.. Hope you heal quickly so you can get back in it
    It's feeling much better now, but not going to risk speed work today. Probably still going to abs and lower back, though, since you can never be too strong in those areas.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

21. 10/9 RE Upper

Flat DB Press
    100x9
    100x8
    90x10
    90x12

Kroc Rows
    150x18

Dips
    BWx15
    BW+25x9
    BW+45x7

Rope Pressdowns/Facepulls
    60x15/70x15
    60x15/70x15
    60x15/70x15
    60x15/70x15

This was a great day of training. Didn't want to speed bench to not put some strain on the calf and not turn this into a nagging thing as leg drive is my most important aspect in benching. Judging by the DOMS that I already have about 15 hours after training, I sufficiently hit my chest and triceps with the wighted dips with a very deep ROM. It still sucks how much strength-endurance I've lost in them as I was able to do 12-15 with 45# added and I was heavier then, too, but I also steered away from them for a good 3-4 months. Hell, I more or less neglected the entire vertical flex/ex movements as I, moronically, become too focused on benching instead of becoming an overall stronger person.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

22. Time for some chins and oh presses.

23. Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou321 View Post
    Time for some chins and oh presses.
    They've been brought back in recently. Tried to do them yesterday, but my grip was dead after Krocs.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

24. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    They've been brought back in recently. Tried to do them yesterday, but my grip was dead after Krocs.
    Since im raw I do some chins as a warm-up on upper days for maintance work. And I cycle jm press and sohp as a supp lift on de upper days. Once I go full geared ill do more chins since gear loads the lats more.

25. 10/10 DE Lower

Box Squats (suit only, straps down)
    365x2x12

GM
    135x15x5

Standing Cable Crunches
    120x15x4

Quick DE session that went better than I expected. Calf is feeling much better and I didn't feel any aftereffects of Sunday's training. Kinda lost the technique for box squats and the suit makes it really, really difficult to go below parallel with that amount of weight, but it's great technique re-enforcement since you have to really keep tight and push out on the knees to hit the box.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Hanging weights during pull-ups/dips...
    By soseg in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 10-19-2012, 05:20 PM
  2. Replies: 29
    Last Post: 12-11-2008, 06:42 PM
  3. How effective are hanging crunches?
    By Fergs103 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-13-2008, 06:28 PM
  4. weight just hanging around
    By frezel in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 47