looking for Dextrose & Maltodextrin

rooster

Awards
I live in the Austin, TX area and I am looking for Dextrose and Maltodextrin
to add to my PWO drink. Does anyone have any ideas as to where I might find
it locally [Austin, TX]. I don't want to order it online and wait. I'm kinda impatient and I'm having to learn how to be patient with this life style/change. I'm refering to making gains and losing fat over time. I greatly appreciate your suggestions.

Rick

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
well i can't really help you out .. but i can say i think dextrose and malto are garbage and you are WAY better off adding oats instead

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I agree with Glen, and I live in Austin.

Really can't point you in the right direction as far as malto, and dex, but there is plenty of low gi carbs at the store. I like Whole Foods myself.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
If you wer a board supporter I'd say PM me b/c I have about 20 lbs of each on my hands that I'm looking to get rid of. :frustrate

deech

Board Supporter
Awards
brew supply houses have malto for beermaking.

rooster

Awards
well i can't really help you out .. but i can say i think dextrose and malto are garbage and you are WAY better off adding oats instead
i appreciate everyone's advice. however, I thought we wanted a quick release of insulin after we work out in our post work out drinks? hence the dex and malto. consuming oats [complex carb] doesn't produce the quick release of insulin that we are looking for in a post work out shake. At least thats what I've read. Please correct me if I am wrong.

This is what I've been drinking after I work out:

protein carbs calories fat
Whey 38 6 220 5
milk 18 4 190 12
banana 1 27 105 1
peanutbutter 8 3 95 8

thanks again!

Rick

Giantz11

Giantz11

Really Really Good Looking
Awards
  • Established
Rooster,

The Hi GI/Low GI PWO seems to be a matter of preference as both are shwon to work. I've read many posts by Bobo where he states that Low GI is just as effective. So feel free to use oats if you want. If you want Dextrose or Malto just do an search on the net tons of places sell it. Now as for your PWO shake, you need to nix the PB you have way too much fat in that shake, you should try and get as little fat as you can in your shake. It seems you actualy Whey shake has too much fat in it as well. Get the milk outta there too, if you are going to use milk make sure its Skim only. Cut down on the fat use whatever suits you for Carbs and you should be ok.

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
i have had good results with hi gi's pwo, plus it tastes better then oats.

rooster

Awards
Rooster,

The Hi GI/Low GI PWO seems to be a matter of preference as both are shwon to work. I've read many posts by Bobo where he states that Low GI is just as effective. So feel free to use oats if you want. If you want Dextrose or Malto just do an search on the net tons of places sell it. Now as for your PWO shake, you need to nix the PB you have way too much fat in that shake, you should try and get as little fat as you can in your shake. It seems you actualy Whey shake has too much fat in it as well. Get the milk outta there too, if you are going to use milk make sure its Skim only. Cut down on the fat use whatever suits you for Carbs and you should be ok.
thanks for the advice. I'll cut the fat out of the shake. since we're talking about fat what I normally eat in the morning are three scrambled eggs and a cup of oatmeal with two cups of coffee. This is at least 30 to 40 minutes before i work out in the morning. I work out at 6am so i get up around 445am to get this done. I guess my questions regarding this new issues are:

1. i normally make my scrambled eggs with "country crock" is this good or bad?
2. I'm i over doing it on the oatmeal if I'm eatting oatmeal with my scrabbled eggs and then again with my post work out drink and then at 10am.

This is what i normally eat/drink through out the day:

meal #1 5am three scrambled eggs and 1 cup of oatmeal two cups of coffee.

PWO Drink 7am 40 grams of Whey, 1 cup of oats, 12oz of high protein milk, 1 banana, peanut butter. [I am now going to stop using the peanut butter and the high protein milk.]

Meal #2 10am 40 grams of Whey with 12 oz of water and 1 cup of oatmeal

Meal #3 1pm 2 cans of sardines in soy oil and 1 cup of brown rice or a potatoe, and water to drink

Meal #4 4pm 40 grams of Whey with 12 oz of water

occasional snack after work - 1 cup of cottage cheese with peanutbutter

meal #5 some kind of meat and veggies drink water

I get in at least a gallon of water everyday.

anything else going wrong here? I really do appreciate your advice and suggestions. I feel like crap knowing that i give 110% in the gym and only to screw things up by eatting fat in my post work out drink. Mentally, for me at least, its like having to start all over again. Thanks again and looking forward to what everyone has to say. I know I don't have to write this but please be honest and tell me how it is.

Neuromancer

Awards
  • Established
I usually get mine from either protein Factory.com or True Protein.com

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Sardines - yuck!

I'd say ditch the Country Crock - I just use Pam (no cal Pam) on my eggs.

I used to buy my dex at vitaglo.com They have the cheapest price I've seen and free shipping if you buy over $50.

HumpTheCook

HumpTheCook

Banned
Awards
  • Established
dextrose can be founf at nearly any plac with beer/ wine making supplies or from bulk powder shops. if you have a Scoop n' weigh in your area. i get mine at the local grocery store in a 5 lb tub from like 5 bucks.

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
looking at your diet it looks like you take about 6 scoops of whey. I would stop doing this and just take in a couple after your workout. Also are you trying to go low carb as it seems that you have very little carbs and a lot of fat?

rooster

Awards
looking at your diet it looks like you take about 6 scoops of whey. I would stop doing this and just take in a couple after your workout. Also are you trying to go low carb as it seems that you have very little carbs and a lot of fat?
ok... I'm new to the eatting part of mass building. I'm 35 years old and I've always approached eatting while trying to build mass with my high school football coach's mentality and that was EAT, EAT everything you can get your hands on. I know that this is not the way it's supposed to be, so I'm trying to change that.

I've read that Carbs play a vital role in building mass, but on the other hand I don't want to over do it. I had been on a low carb diet in the past so when I start consuming carbs I feel that I'm doing something wrong. Also If i cut back on the whey i'm afraid I'll go catabolic.

Can you or anyone point me in the right direction when it comes to eatting to build mass? I know I really need to work on this. I'm over whelmed with counting calories and trying to get in 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight as well as the carb thing. I started working out 7 weeks ago and I've made some gains, but I feel that I could be doing a little better and I blame it on my diet.

Thanks again!

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I'd add some flax and/or fish oil.

Definately more whole food sources for protien. You also need more complex carbs.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I live in the Austin, TX area and I am looking for Dextrose and Maltodextrin
to add to my PWO drink. Does anyone have any ideas as to where I might find
it locally [Austin, TX].
If you are still interested you could just "Google It" :welcome:

scarfacebling

Awards
what type of oats do u guys use?

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
ok... I'm new to the eatting part of mass building. I'm 35 years old and I've always approached eatting while trying to build mass with my high school football coach's mentality and that was EAT, EAT everything you can get your hands on. I know that this is not the way it's supposed to be, so I'm trying to change that.

I've read that Carbs play a vital role in building mass, but on the other hand I don't want to over do it. I had been on a low carb diet in the past so when I start consuming carbs I feel that I'm doing something wrong. Also If i cut back on the whey i'm afraid I'll go catabolic.

Can you or anyone point me in the right direction when it comes to eatting to build mass? I know I really need to work on this. I'm over whelmed with counting calories and trying to get in 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight as well as the carb thing. I started working out 7 weeks ago and I've made some gains, but I feel that I could be doing a little better and I blame it on my diet.

Thanks again!
i can't tell you the amount of calories that u need as this is something that is specific to you. I do know that as long as you take in enough protein from whole foods you don't need to worry about catabolism.

read old posts from the board and eventually you will understand more over time. Tom Venuto's ebook, Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle, is a good starter for bodybuilding nutrition.

Just remember to eat 6 times/day, eat plenty of protein(not whey), eat complex carbs at each meal, and don't forget about your healthy fats.

rooster

Awards
i can't tell you the amount of calories that u need as this is something that is specific to you. I do know that as long as you take in enough protein from whole foods you don't need to worry about catabolism.

read old posts from the board and eventually you will understand more over time. Tom Venuto's ebook, Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle, is a good starter for bodybuilding nutrition.

Just remember to eat 6 times/day, eat plenty of protein(not whey), eat complex carbs at each meal, and don't forget about your healthy fats.
thanks for the advice and info.

Rick

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
old fashioned oats and always the house brand. what can i say, i'm cheap...lol.
i use the quaker oats 1 minute oats .. they are 100% rolled oats just already a little ground up

Giantz11

Giantz11

Really Really Good Looking
Awards
  • Established
Rooster,

I'd say you certainly woulnd't be overdoing it with oats if you had them PWO as well as PPWO, to me that seems perfectly fine. I'd cut the Country Crock and use a fat free spray. One more quick thing what are you trying to do here, cutting, bulking....Cause if you are trying to cut make sure you are making scrambled egg whites with your oats. For me and others I know it's best to try to stick to Pro/Fat meals and Pro/Carb meals. If you are bulking that is a different matter thought.

rooster

Awards
Rooster,

I'd say you certainly woulnd't be overdoing it with oats if you had them PWO as well as PPWO, to me that seems perfectly fine. I'd cut the Country Crock and use a fat free spray. One more quick thing what are you trying to do here, cutting, bulking....Cause if you are trying to cut make sure you are making scrambled egg whites with your oats. For me and others I know it's best to try to stick to Pro/Fat meals and Pro/Carb meals. If you are bulking that is a different matter thought.
GIantz11,

I'd like to get as BIG AS LIFE! I'm on a quest for life I know this, but its so damn hard trying to figuer out what to do when to do it how to do it and getting it right. Being impatient doesn't help either, but I just consider learning how to be patient through all of this as part of my quest. I really do appreciate your advice as well as the other members who have offered their advice and suggestions as well. Thanks again!
Rick