Cycling for cardio

FlawedGrunt

FlawedGrunt

Awards
  • Established
Does any here cycle on a daily basis for fatloss? Road cycling or trail?

I recently quit my gym membership because I have a full squat rack (with upper and lower pulley) and bench in my garage... so I bought a hybrid bike that works for on and off the road and I have been riding daily. Curious if anyone else has got good results riding a bike daily for cardio.

BorisF

BorisF

Awards
I ride a under 1000km in a month and lifting 4-5 times/week. One of my friends is riding close to 3000km/month and he wasn't able to lose fat at all. Hard to do when your diet is poor. From my experience riding exhausts you much more than weight and it makes you binge eat.

FlawedGrunt

FlawedGrunt

Awards
  • Established
I ride a under 1000km in a month and lifting 4-5 times/week. One of my friends is riding close to 3000km/month and he wasn't able to lose fat at all. Hard to do when your diet is poor. From my experience riding exhausts you much more than weight and it makes you binge eat.
Holy **** that's some serious mileage. I did 84 miles ( 135 km ) this week. My diet is pretty in check though. I am a little shocked at the estimate calories I burned today tho. My heart rate tracker says i burned 2400 calories.

My heart rate is in the fat burn zone about half the time. So i can imagine it should do good things for me... I hope

BorisF

BorisF

Awards
It all depends what's your avg speed is. Being tired I can still do 25km/h. However the friend I mentioned goes avg about 30mk/h for few hours on a flat road. I still thing road cycling is much better alongside with cycling boots as you can enjoy the ride much more in a "sporty" way. For instance I enjoy doing short sprints or just sprint short climbs.

When it comes to hear rate, I'm 29 and when I go above 175 bpm I am in my anaerobic already. My rest heart rate used to be around 50.

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
Its a killer workout...make sure you're using good form and you can get a lot out of it. Keep your aminos high and ride like hell.