Milk

Inzah Dude

Awards
Why does milk make you bloated? Is milk good for cutting?

Inzah Dude

Awards
Also, according to fitday.com for every 3 cups of milk you drink, your getting 369.66 mg of sodium and 1142.7 mg of potassium so wouldn't milk be good to help against sodium (that your getting from other foods) making you hold water?

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Milk makes you bloated now huh? Nice.

Milk contains lactose which is a simple carbohydrate is why people deny it when cutting. Im not sure what fetish you have with sodium, but maybe you should ask fitday.com to explain it.

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
Why does milk make you bloated? Is milk good for cutting?
1 Doesn't bloat me at all bro, so I dunno unless you have intolerance issues... pretty sure Wardog doesn't have a problem with it either :D

2 Don't see why not, as long as calories from lactose are accounted for.

Inzah Dude

Awards
Milk makes you bloated now huh? Nice.

Milk contains lactose which is a simple carbohydrate is why people deny it when cutting. Im not sure what fetish you have with sodium, but maybe you should ask fitday.com to explain it.
Well I heard it makes you bloated but I guess not. And im just trying to learn more cuz I just found out about sodium and that stuff lately. Thats what this place is for isnt it.

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Yes it is.....but basic questions such as that could be answered on your own by doing some reading and researching. Here, this is good sodium info. for you:

Sodium (Na)

Test Overview

Sodium is one of the most important minerals in the body. It is also an electrolyte, which means it carries an electrical charge when it is dissolved in blood. Sodium helps regulate the water balance (the amount of fluid inside and surrounding the cells) and electrolyte balance of the body. Sodium also plays an important role in nerve and muscle functions.

Most of the sodium in the body (about 85%) is found in the fluids that surround the body's cells (such as blood and lymph fluid). Sodium levels in the body are partially controlled by a hormone called aldosterone, which is produced by the adrenal glands. Aldosterone causes the kidneys to retain sodium that is normally lost through the urine. (See an illustration of the adrenal glands or the kidneys.) Small amounts of sodium are also lost through the skin in sweat.

Almost all foods contain sodium naturally or as an ingredient, such as table salt (sodium chloride) or baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) added during processing or cooking. Many medicines and other products also contain sodium, including laxatives, aspirin, mouthwash, and toothpaste.

Too much sodium in the diet may raise blood pressure in some people. For those who already have high blood pressure, a diet high in sodium may further increase their risk of heart disease, stroke, and kidney damage. High sodium levels can worsen congestive heart failure (CHF) and can increase the amount of water retained by the body, leading to swelling of the legs and hands. Taking in more than 4 grams (g) of sodium per day causes problems for some people.

Low blood sodium levels are uncommon and most often occur as a side effect of taking drugs that increase urination (diuretics). Severe diarrhea or vomiting or heavy sweating may also cause low blood sodium levels.

This test is usually done on a blood sample taken from a vein. Sodium can also be measured in a urine sample.

Inzah Dude

Awards
Thanks for the article. So when it says "Taking in more than 4 grams (g) of sodium per day causes problems for some people." Does that mean that you should try to keep it well below 4 grams?

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Thanks for the article. So when it says "Taking in more than 4 grams (g) of sodium per day causes problems for some people." Does that mean that you should try to keep it well below 4 grams?
Some people meaning people with heart conditions, cardiovascular disease, or other health related problems or the potential for health related problems should avoid more than 4 grams a day. Althought I would think most die-hard bodybuilders would do the same.

Cardinal

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Does milk make you bloated? It can depending on how much you consume in what time period. Everyone has a tolerance level.

Try a gallon challenge to see what I mean. Just out of curiosity, how many of you heavy milk drinkers have tried the gallon in an hour challenge? I would think bodybuilders would fair pretty well in this type of competition.

ex_banana-eater

Awards
  • Established
Does milk make you bloated? It can depending on how much you consume in what time period. Everyone has a tolerance level.

Try a gallon challenge to see what I mean. Just out of curiosity, how many of you heavy milk drinkers have tried the gallon in an hour challenge? I would think bodybuilders would fair pretty well in this type of competition.
I did this and i felt the milk go up my throat every time i moved.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
. Just out of curiosity, how many of you heavy milk drinkers have tried the gallon in an hour challenge? I would think bodybuilders would fair pretty well in this type of competition.
first time hearing such a thing. thats some 128g's protein, and lets say a good ol' 192g's carbs. (round 1300 cals) That will make yall full i believe. Sage

wardog

Awards
  • Established
I do a gallon of skim every single day, with 5 scoops whey protein. I have never had a bloating issue.

As far as the gallon challenge..that is with whole milk..and will make you throw up in a heartbeat

Sheesh

Awards
  • Established
Don't forget about the calcium factor of milk. Those who get consume calcium burn fat faster that those who don't. Milk is the best natural, non-supplemental form.

MySoulFindsRest

Awards
Crapping milk, liquid, heh. Not desireable at all.

Get the visual? hahaaha.

ironviking

The Axe Man Cometh!!
Awards
  • Established
If milk bloats you, you might want to try lactose free milk. Its a bit more expensive but for those lactose intolerant people it is well worth it.

Supa Freek 420

Supa Freek 420

E-BOLLER
Awards
  • Established
If milk bloats you, you might want to try lactose free milk. Its a bit more expensive but for those lactose intolerant people it is well worth it.
I wish it were just a bit more expensive. It's more than double when you consider that milk can be gotten for under 4 bucks for two gallons and lactose reduced milk is 3 bucks every two quarts! Damn lactose intolerance!:mad:

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
along the lines of cost...i hate ny. im used to 1.62 per gallon back home in seattle, but here in the city, if you get it for 2.60 per, you lucky. i spend more on milk than meat....Sage

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
i wouldnt give up on milk.. it is definitely one of the best things to drink for bodybuilding.. i mean if your that worried bout it while cuttin just drink skim milk..

bellx1

Awards
love milk ..... kicked it down to skim.. but i love it and cant leave it

WYD02

Awards
  • Established
Ah, the milk challenge...heheh, I think there are only a handful of people who have sucessfully achieved this feat without puking -- even with skim milk. I'd try it for myself, but I know what will happen...and I'd feel bad about puking up all that protein :D.

Damn Wardog, a gallon a day? You must have like 3 refrigerators or otherwise go to the grocery store every other day hehehe. What ever happened to the good old fashioned milk man? I think that's a service bodybuilders would be down with :)

Andy2k

Awards
Food intollerance is quite common, wheat, milk etc are probably the best known. It doesn't have to be gluten (wheat) or lactose (milk) that you are intollerant to - it could be any part of the food. Many people are 'allergic' to milk without having a lactose intollerance - it's just the way things are.
Milk protein can certainly cause bloating - the early days of protein powders (Well the eighties!) saw a lot of protein shakes causing bloating in some people.
I don't drink much milk myself - mainly because it is mucus forming (it tends to give me a clogged throat for a while) but that is the only reason. I tend to have 1/2 to 2 pints of skimmed daily.
If you get on ok with milk, go for it - it's cheap and a reasonable quality protein. Otherwise, there's plenty of other options.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
i go through about 3 gallons a week..

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
Effect of skim milk supplementation on blood cholesterol concentration, blood pressure, and triglycerides in a free-living human population.

Buonopane GJ, Kilara A, Smith JS, McCarthy RD.

Department of Foods and Nutrition, Kansas State University, Manhattan.

In 82 subjects, aged 21-73, we studied the effect of skim milk supplementation on serum cholesterol concentration, blood pressure, and serum triglyceride level. The study involved a 1-week pretreatment baseline period followed by 8 weeks of milk supplementation. Sixty-four people were designated to a test group and 18 people were placed in a seasonal index group. The study was designed as a free-living trial, i.e., participants were requested to maintain their normal lifestyles, including dietary pattern, except for the supplementation of one quart of 2% solids-not-fat fortified skim milk to the daily diet in the test group. Supplemental milk treatment was associated with a 6.6% reduction (p = 0.0004) of serum cholesterol in the high cholesterol (greater than or equal to 190 mg/dl) test subgroup within the first 4 weeks. No change was noted in serum cholesterol in the low-cholesterol (less than 190 mg/dl) subgroup throughout the study. Body weight and seasonal variation of blood cholesterol did not significantly influence serum cholesterol levels. Reduction (p = 0.0140) in percentage of calories from fat in the high-cholesterol subgroup was not correlated with the decrease in serum cholesterol in this test subgroup. Reductions in systolic and diastolic blood pressure occurred in the test subgroups; the low-cholesterol subgroup had a greater reduction (p = 0.0002) in diastolic blood pressure than the high-cholesterol group (p = 0.0049). Milk supplementation was associated with reduction (p = 0.0370) in serum triglycerides in the high-cholesterol subgroup.