Back and Real Delts

FlexMasterFunk

FlexMasterFunk

Awards
Hey guys. I've been doing this routine, but I haven't really seen major results on my rear delts and back.

rear lateral raises 3 sets/ 12, 11, 10
Arnold presses 3 sets/ 12, 11, 10
(dumbell)military presses 2 sets/ 10, 10
(dumbell) front raises 2 sets/ 12, 10, 8
(dumbell) upright rows 3 sets/ 12, 10, 8
cable rows 3 sets/ 10, 8, 6
cable pull downs 3 sets/ 12, 10, 8
dumbell rows 3 sets/ 12, 10, 8 per side

The gains are minimal compared to my other body parts, and I seem to feel it more in my arms when I do back. Any suggestions or other exercises would be greatly appreciated.

-thanks

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Do heavy chins, heavy BB rows, and add in BB upright rows if you can recover from them...go heavy on these, but make sure not to mess up form or will cause inury.

I would get rid of all the other back/delt work you are doing and use the above exc. These are IMHO all you will ever need. Also, get rid of those DB's and use heavy BB work.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
I don't understand why you are doing 13 sets for shoulders (a relatively small muscle group), and only 9 sets for back (a relatively large muscle group). Your shoulders take a pounding when you execute chest exercises so the need for that many sets in the first place is a little overboard IMO. When doing back, especially rowing movements you use your rear delts as assisting muscles as well. So I would first start by reducing the volume for shoulders and focusing on the big lifts (overhead pressing) as lifted suggested above. For back, heavy will give you mass, so Deadlifting is key for a big back (width and thickness). Lifted's suggestions above are good too.

IRserge

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Use a thumbless grip on the bar when doing all back exersizes exept for deadlifts. That will take forearm and bicep involvment out of the lift.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Neck High Bent BB Rows work very nicely on rear delts. It has replaced my posterior delt isolation work and has significantly broadened my shoulders and added thickness to my upper/middle back.

FlexMasterFunk

FlexMasterFunk

Awards
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll do some tweaking to my routine. Chins, BB rows and uprights instead of DB; and thumbless grip for all minus the deadlifts. I think that's why I haven't been doing much back, it just felt like I was doing arms. Thanks again guys for the advice and the link.

FlexMasterFunk

FlexMasterFunk

Awards
I tried it guys...I can feel the difference especially on the neck highs...thanks... I'm stoked!!!

-2z-

Awards
  • Established
Never had better results than when I started deadlifting.

Plus...when you're doing rows..think of your hands and arms as hooks.
Then imagine you're pulling the weight with your arm pits / back. For me that helped me start focusing on contracting my back muscles instead of pulling with my arms.

captain chet

Awards
Never had better results than when I started deadlifting.

Plus...when you're doing rows..think of your hands and arms as hooks.
Then imagine you're pulling the weight with your arm pits / back. For me that helped me start focusing on contracting my back muscles instead of pulling with my arms.
That is excellent advice, i can visualize what I have been doing wrong.