CreaGAAtine: is the hype real?

Falco1098

Falco1098

Awards
  • First Up Vote
So this appears to just be Creatine with guanidinoacetic acid added into the blend. The data i found on GAA seems to be positive as it upregulates creatine. Seems GAA is starting to be added to feed for animals also where they are saying for chickens they can reduce feed at 100cal/kilo and with GAA the bird still grows to the same as a bird fed the higher calories. at 50cal/kilo reduction they grow bigger,

The claims of 8x the amount a creatine it gets into the cells than just creatine alone - seem a bit beyond belief, but who knows?

But then, why buy cregaatine when you could just add GAA to your cheap creatine? Hint @sns8778 :)

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I might be remembering wrong, but I feel like this used to be a thing a long time ago. I feel it even used to be in muscle milk when I used to drink that? It had a little section on the tub that even mentioned it as helping increase creatine levels I believe.

That said it then started to get removed from everything due to possible negative health effect concerns. I don’t remember because this had to be quite awhile ago (and I’m not saying they were true there were lots of things that came and went and it was before I was really equipped well enough to always know how to figure some of that out).

I didn’t dig into it but here is a start for anyone wondering: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8746922/

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I might be remembering wrong, but I feel like this used to be a thing a long time ago. I feel it even used to be in muscle milk when I used to drink that? It had a little section on the tub that even mentioned it as helping increase creatine levels I believe.

That said it then started to get removed from everything due to possible negative health effect concerns. I don’t remember because this had to be quite awhile ago (and I’m not saying they were true there were lots of things that came and went and it was before I was really equipped well enough to always know how to figure some of that out).

I didn’t dig into it but here is a start for anyone wondering: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8746922/
Yeah it was popular for a while. I don’t think it ever caught on though. I think GNC was one of the last place I saw using it. In products that included creatine, they often added a creatine precursor blend that used a couple aminos plus some GAA if I remember correctly. Been a while.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yeah it was popular for a while. I don’t think it ever caught on though. I think GNC was one of the last place I saw using it. In products that included creatine, they often added a creatine precursor blend that used a couple aminos plus some GAA if I remember correctly. Been a while.
Ya it was always a precursor blend like that but I don’t remember what else was in those blends.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
So this appears to just be Creatine with guanidinoacetic acid added into the blend. The data i found on GAA seems to be positive as it upregulates creatine. Seems GAA is starting to be added to feed for animals also where they are saying for chickens they can reduce feed at 100cal/kilo and with GAA the bird still grows to the same as a bird fed the higher calories. at 50cal/kilo reduction they grow bigger,

The claims of 8x the amount a creatine it gets into the cells than just creatine alone - seem a bit beyond belief, but who knows?

But then, why buy cregaatine when you could just add GAA to your cheap creatine? Hint @sns8778 :)
Thank you for tagging me.

This was a trend many years ago but some there was some negative thoughts and posts on GAA and it really killed the products and sales for the brands that were doing them. It was probably unfounded and not necessarily true, or if it was, not as bad as people made it out to be - but it was enough negative talk on it to where I was very glad we never did it.

It isn't something we would do ourselves because we may wind up doing a Creatine Monohydrate due to demand soon, but I prefer to focus on the better absorption ones like our Creatine HCI and Magnesium Creatine Chelate products.

You are exactly right - that's what I was alluding to above - that the talk about negative health concerns caught steam and brands quickly started removing it. Good memory there.

If I remember correctly, Syntrax back when they first came out used it in their creatines. I could be wrong on that, but if memory serves me correctly they did. Then the negativity on it started and I hadn't seen it in anything in forever but haven't really looked for it.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Thank you for tagging me.

This was a trend many years ago but some there was some negative thoughts and posts on GAA and it really killed the products and sales for the brands that were doing them. It was probably unfounded and not necessarily true, or if it was, not as bad as people made it out to be - but it was enough negative talk on it to where I was very glad we never did it.

It isn't something we would do ourselves because we may wind up doing a Creatine Monohydrate due to demand soon, but I prefer to focus on the better absorption ones like our Creatine HCI and Magnesium Creatine Chelate products.

You are exactly right - that's what I was alluding to above - that the talk about negative health concerns caught steam and brands quickly started removing it. Good memory there.

If I remember correctly, Syntrax back when they first came out used it in their creatines. I could be wrong on that, but if memory serves me correctly they did. Then the negativity on it started and I hadn't seen it in anything in forever but haven't really looked for it.
Oh man ya that was it, Syntrax. They had some other issues I think as well but I’m pretty sure their GAA product is what I’m remembering the bad press for and then it just like disappeared.

Fwiw there’s plenty of creatine options that seem solid nowadays so not sure a precursor is even something necessary unless it gave some other tangential benefits creatine supplementation itself wouldn’t give.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Oh man ya that was it, Syntrax. They had some other issues I think as well but I’m pretty sure their GAA product is what I’m remembering the bad press for and then it just like disappeared.

Fwiw there’s plenty of creatine options that seem solid nowadays so not sure a precursor is even something necessary unless it gave some other tangential benefits creatine supplementation itself wouldn’t give.
I’ve wondered the same. We already know it’s possible to saturate creatine by taking creatine. So if you add something for more creatine, is it possible to get more? I don’t know. Seemed weird to me though.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I’ve wondered the same. We already know it’s possible to saturate creatine by taking creatine. So if you add something for more creatine, is it possible to get more? I don’t know. Seemed weird to me though.
Their initial thought process I believe was to help reach saturation without loading or having to use as high of a dose creatine - in theory to help the individuals that creatine monohydrate caused bloating and fluid retention in. They were combining GAA with DiCreatine or TriCreatine Malate, a form of creatine I actually liked.

But now days, with the advanced types, I don't think there's really any need for that imo.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

It's a stupid prop blend but it's there. HTP Phosphagen

N2ofusion

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Dear lord, that has to already have 10 grams of creatine! Also, I think that’s a slightly different compound, but supposed to do the same thing.
Yeah! One container lasts forever.

Falco1098

Falco1098

Awards
  • First Up Vote
So it seems the hype may be real l, their may be some old health concerns, but nobody is gonna use it.