Anyone ever bought a training program?

georgetown

Awards
  • Established
I like my program now but am always up for a new change to switch things up, ive never actually bought a program before. I mean what could it possibly help with besides telling you what lifts you should do? To me that isnt worth the money when you can create your own workout for your specific goals, am I missing something? Let me know thanks

jdwaca

jdwaca

Awards
I like my program now but am always up for a new change to switch things up, ive never actually bought a program before. I mean what could it possibly help with besides telling you what lifts you should do? To me that isnt worth the money when you can create your own workout for your specific goals, am I missing something? Let me know thanks
Buying programs can be beneficial to help switch things up, and learn new techniques/methods. I personally have never bought one, but have worked with several coaches. I would be very selective on where/who I bought from. I would never buy from the latest “instafamous” guy peddling bull **** programs in an attempt to grow his brand. Buy from people who are well established. Pros, or professional trainers. I.e. Mountain Dog (John Meadows). There are other good ones but I like his training style and methods. His programs, and diet are legit, and similar to what I currently follow. There are also free programs out there you can follow, and your right, you COULD just create your own based on goals. Problem is, a lot of people THINK they know what works, and what’s best, but are often wrong. Buying a program from an established athlete is not just buying a “workout plan.” You’re paying for years of knowledge, experience, and work they they have put in, and adding a sense of accountability. I’ve been lifting and competing for years, and continue to learn and grow every year. Not just in the gym, but knowledge of training and diet as well. Your level of knowledge, and goals will determine whether or not buying a program is right for you. That’s what you have to decide for yourself. What do you know? What do you want to learn? Are you progressing? Where do you want to be? How are you going to get there?

georgetown

Awards
  • Established
Buying programs can be beneficial to help switch things up, and learn new techniques/methods. I personally have never bought one, but have worked with several coaches. I would be very selective on where/who I bought from. I would never buy from the latest “instafamous” guy peddling bull **** programs in an attempt to grow his brand. Buy from people who are well established. Pros, or professional trainers. I.e. Mountain Dog (John Meadows). There are other good ones but I like his training style and methods. His programs, and diet are legit, and similar to what I currently follow. There are also free programs out there you can follow, and your right, you COULD just create your own based on goals. Problem is, a lot of people THINK they know what works, and what’s best, but are often wrong. Buying a program from an established athlete is not just buying a “workout plan.” You’re paying for years of knowledge, experience, and work they they have put in, and adding a sense of accountability. I’ve been lifting and competing for years, and continue to learn and grow every year. Not just in the gym, but knowledge of training and diet as well. Your level of knowledge, and goals will determine whether or not buying a program is right for you. That’s what you have to decide for yourself. What do you know? What do you want to learn? Are you progressing? Where do you want to be? How are you going to get there?
Very good answer, ill think about it, because I dont know everything and always want/could know more. Definitely something to do some research on and I agree with who you pick from is a big factor to why its out there and who is it really benefiting more. Thanks

If you wanna know whos program Im talking about, its Larry Wheels, he offers Strength, Hypertrophy, and some other programs and was really thinking about his strength program (9.99 at the time) but got to thinking, and its not even about the money, what could possibly be outlined in this that would benefit me more than the fact it already outlines “will focus on the bench squat and deadlift” do I really need a program for that? But now that Im thinking out loud it could possibly include accessory work to improve those. Hmmm but once again this is advertised on imstagram so it could be a half asses program newbies would buy idk might stick to my PHAT routine

jdwaca

jdwaca

Awards
Very good answer, ill think about it, because I dont know everything and always want/could know more. Definitely something to do some research on and I agree with who you pick from is a big factor to why its out there and who is it really benefiting more. Thanks

If you wanna know whos program Im talking about, its Larry Wheels, he offers Strength, Hypertrophy, and some other programs and was really thinking about his strength program (9.99 at the time) but got to thinking, and its not even about the money, what could possibly be outlined in this that would benefit me more than the fact it already outlines “will focus on the bench squat and deadlift” do I really need a program for that? But now that Im thinking out loud it could possibly include accessory work to improve those. Hmmm but once again this is advertised on imstagram so it could be a half asses program newbies would buy idk might stick to my PHAT routine
It could be worth it. For only $10, why not. Even though it tells you the focus, it could give you some new techniques/strategies that are new to you. Switching things up, and getting out of your usual routine can sometimes help spark new growth. But then again, it could give you the basics. Lol. I don’t know your level of experience so it’s hard to say. I looked him up. Dude is strong AF. If you’re looking to try something new, go for it.

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
georgetown messaged you.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Honestly bro I wouldn’t, and that’s not because I don’t think they are any good, there are many excellent trainers out there who will put together solid programs. My reasoning is that I think programs work on a base level through the principle of giving up decision making.......I.e you follow it because someone else says too. If you design your own your more likely to mess around with it. Any program (well anything semi competent) works to some extent if you follow it and train hard. By giving up the decision making power to the program you are more likely to follow it.....and that you’ll get from any free program online (hundreds of them - just pick one from any reputable source....e.g 5x5, madcow, DC, smolov etc)

Now I do think it’s worth going the whole hog the other way and paying for a coach.....I.e someone who watches you lift and bespokes a program aligned with your goals and crucially, your weaknesses. Any online program for ten bucks will be a cookie cutter series of sets and reps on various lifts. A coach would identify where you need to spend more time, include things like mobility if that’s limiting you, introduce isometrics or Anderson lifts to address specific sticking points etc. Now you’ll pay a shed load more but actually get a lot more out of it.

In summary, I wouldn’t pay for something where I could get the same for free. But I would happily pay more to get proper results.

georgetown

Awards
  • Established
Honestly bro I wouldn’t, and that’s not because I don’t think they are any good, there are many excellent trainers out there who will put together solid programs. My reasoning is that I think programs work on a base level through the principle of giving up decision making.......I.e you follow it because someone else says too. If you design your own your more likely to mess around with it. Any program (well anything semi competent) works to some extent if you follow it and train hard. By giving up the decision making power to the program you are more likely to follow it.....and that you’ll get from any free program online (hundreds of them - just pick one from any reputable source....e.g 5x5, madcow, DC, smolov etc)

Now I do think it’s worth going the whole hog the other way and paying for a coach.....I.e someone who watches you lift and bespokes a program aligned with your goals and crucially, your weaknesses. Any online program for ten bucks will be a cookie cutter series of sets and reps on various lifts. A coach would identify where you need to spend more time, include things like mobility if that’s limiting you, introduce isometrics or Anderson lifts to address specific sticking points etc. Now you’ll pay a shed load more but actually get a lot more out of it.

In summary, I wouldn’t pay for something where I could get the same for free. But I would happily pay more to get proper results.
Thats what I thought, I almost wanted to buy it just to see what it was like what could I be missing? Lol but im sure it could be very helpful to beginners but then again I still dont know what the program is about, maybe next time ill buy it when there is a sale again

Appreciate you advising the hesitation. Definitely agree on the coaching

georgetown

Awards
  • Established
It could be worth it. For only $10, why not. Even though it tells you the focus, it could give you some new techniques/strategies that are new to you. Switching things up, and getting out of your usual routine can sometimes help spark new growth. But then again, it could give you the basics. Lol. I don’t know your level of experience so it’s hard to say. I looked him up. Dude is strong AF. If you’re looking to try something new, go for it.
Dudes hella strong

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
To me it’s simply not worth it. So many programs online are free and even some of the ones you need to pay for are online for free if you look hard enough (i.e John meadows programs.) John meadows charges up to 1000 dollars for his programs. Unless he supplies his gear hookups I would never pay that much lol

Destroying

Awards
I bought one of an IFFB pro a long time ago, most of them sell such things on the side, that and nutritional guides. Thing is, most of what you need is freely available online.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I love to be creative. Following a program would kill my interest in BB. Youtube has zillions of exercises to chose from, mastering any of them gives results, as long as you train hard enough.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
I've bought programs online in the past and IMO they're no better than anything you can get for free. The only difference is your wallet is a little lighter and you temporarily think your dick is bigger.

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
I have bought all four 5/3/1 books....does that count

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I can bench one book, SQT two books and deadlift all four....I'm swolt son!!!!!
Together with a good diet! Like eating 30 pages of a diet book of your choice. Avoid pages with colored pics, they have hidden carbs.

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
youtube has some good trainers, just watch out as they try to sell you their snake oil.

diana_wills

Awards
I feel that if you are going to pay for something, you should pay for a real life trainer. If you have no idea what you are doing and you consider buying a program it means you need proper help. Someone to take care of your form and help you not only get results but not hurt yourself.
Invest in a real thing first, and when you develope some knowledge and habits you will be able to continue on your own (or with a little help of youtube).

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I feel that if you are going to pay for something, you should pay for a real life trainer. If you have no idea what you are doing and you consider buying a program it means you need proper help. Someone to take care of your form and help you not only get results but not hurt yourself.
Invest in a real thing first, and when you develope some knowledge and habits you will be able to continue on your own (or with a little help of youtube).
I invested in the real thing and he gave me the most basic cookie cutter program ever; things I already knew. I pretty much paid to be his therapist and towards our final weeks together, he was missing appointments and had me on the leg press machine for 20 mins so we could discuss his problems.

There’s tons of information out there if you just do your research.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
I can bench one book, SQT two books and deadlift all four....I'm swolt son!!!!!
Yeah but can you budge Arnolds Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding? That thing is full of heavy ****.

diana_wills

Awards
I invested in the real thing and he gave me the most basic cookie cutter program ever; things I already knew. I pretty much paid to be his therapist and towards our final weeks together, he was missing appointments and had me on the leg press machine for 20 mins so we could discuss his problems.

There’s tons of information out there if you just do your research.

OMG! That's horrible! I got tons of recommendation for my trainer before letting her help me so I think everything takes a lot of research, especially when it comes to your health.

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
In my thought a trainer is different then a coach.....a trainer is someone to go to to start a weight loss journey and they don't really do much else....a coach starts u on the journey to something better then uare now and sees it all the way to the end.....but that's just my thoughts

Malbranque

Malbranque

Awards
  • First Up Vote
If Joe Mangeniello's Evolution book counts, I bought that in a 2nd hand shop for a fiver back in 2015. I still implement some of his sets from weeks 5 & 6 into my training. Was a very good read, to be fair to the chap and he's in some nick.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
OMG! That's horrible! I got tons of recommendation for my trainer before letting her help me so I think everything takes a lot of research, especially when it comes to your health.
Definitely! That was $1100 down the drain.
First and last time I will ever use a trainer again.
In my thought a trainer is different then a coach.....a trainer is someone to go to to start a weight loss journey and they don't really do much else....a coach starts u on the journey to something better then uare now and sees it all the way to the end.....but that's just my thoughts
You are correct. It was difficult to get a hold of my trainer and he never tracked any of my results, and was never on my case about anything. Ultimately, it’s still my decision, my determination to succeed, but I was still paying him to guide me.