5 day split for beginners for size and strength!!

RatnikK

RatnikK

Awards
Hey guys I am planning on lifting weights again next week and I need help setting up a 5 day split only using free weights for size/strength.I don't have access to the gym so I gotta do my workouts here at home but I have plenty of weights , ex bar, dumbells, and barbells . Plz any help would be much appreciated.

runtyemonster

Awards
Squat-bench-dead-bench-squat-optional weaknesses day. Why a 5 day instead of a 3 day full body?

RatnikK

RatnikK

Awards
Squat-bench-dead-bench-squat-optional weaknesses day. Why a 5 day instead of a 3 day full body?
Because a 3 day full body is to much I would rather focus on one muscle group hit it as hard as possible and then u wait 7 days to.hit that muscle group again wich gives it plenty of time to recover .

runtyemonster

Awards
Because a 3 day full body is to much I would rather focus on one muscle group hit it as hard as possible and then u wait 7 days to.hit that muscle group again wich gives it plenty of time to recover .
Yes, plenty of time to recover but you will also very unlikely grow unless you are an absolute beginner. Watch Dr. Mike isratels videos on YouTube about the myth of bro splits and you'll see what I'm talking about.

runtyemonster

Awards
Either an LP, like Canditos strength and hypertrophy linear program, or something like I said before. Squats 2xweekly, bench 2xweekly, or 3 if u want and deads once a week. Add accessory lifts to Target your weaknesses.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I agree with the advice above. As a beginner you dont need to "hit each body part as hard as possible" and then give it a week to recover. Candito's LP is a good option.

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I only have a smith machine for bench, what else can I do for bench. I grabbed the 99 dollar per year special at planet fitness.

RatnikK

RatnikK

Awards
Either an LP, like Canditos strength and hypertrophy linear program, or something like I said before. Squats 2xweekly, bench 2xweekly, or 3 if u want and deads once a week. Add accessory lifts to Target your weaknesses.
Yea I made up my mind , I am gonna start the LP candito strength/hypertrophy programm, it's exactly what I was looking for.

APC80

APC80

Awards
Yes, plenty of time to recover but you will also very unlikely grow unless you are an absolute beginner. Watch Dr. Mike isratels videos on YouTube about the myth of bro splits and you'll see what I'm talking about.
I've used bro splits most of the time I've been training and always got best results from it. Tried all different routines but always end up returning to 5 day body part splits. As long as you focus on compound movements and progression they're fine it's really up to the individual. Lots of people like me are best hitting a muscle group while fresh everybody's different. 3-4 exercises per muscle group, low volume high intensity bro splits are fine it's programs that have you spend half the day in the gym doing dozens of isolation movements that give the 5 day split a bad rep.

RatnikK

RatnikK

Awards
I've used bro splits most of the time I've been training and always got best results from it. Tried all different routines but always end up returning to 5 day body part splits. As long as you focus on compound movements and progression they're fine it's really up to the individual. Lots of people like me are best hitting a muscle group while fresh everybody's different. 3-4 exercises per muscle group, low volume high intensity bro splits are fine it's programs that have you spend half the day in the gym doing dozens of isolation movements that give the 5 day split a bad rep.
So what about the Lp candito strength/hypertrophy training programm is that a good beginners routine, or should I just stick to a 5 day split and focus on one muscle group.

runtyemonster

Awards
You say bro split but then you also say compound. If your hitting five day splits focusing on compound movements, you are hitting multiple muscle groups each workout. A typical bro split is chest, back, arms, shoulders and legs. The key to muscle growth is muscle damage and the fact is training each muscle group once a week is not optimal for muscle growth. Will a completely untrained person see some growth? Of course! Is it optimal for the an untrained natty athlete? Absolutely not. Why do you think strong lifts 5x5 is so popular and always recommend to newbies? Full body, compound movements multiple times a week is the best way to build size and strength. Especially for beginners. But take what I say with a grain of salt, just trying to help.

APC80

APC80

Awards
You say bro split but then you also say compound. If your hitting five day splits focusing on compound movements, you are hitting multiple muscle groups each workout. A typical bro split is chest, back, arms, shoulders and legs. The key to muscle growth is muscle damage and the fact is training each muscle group once a week is not optimal for muscle growth. Will a completely untrained person see some growth? Of course! Is it optimal for the an untrained natty athlete? Absolutely not. Why do you think strong lifts 5x5 is so popular and always recommend to newbies? Full body, compound movements multiple times a week is the best way to build size and strength. Especially for beginners. But take what I say with a grain of salt, just trying to help.
There's been multiple studies showing that training a muscle group 1x week,2x week or 3x week makes no difference in hypertrophy or strength. 5x5 is popular because it builds a good foundation of strength but it's not the only way. As long as you're getting stronger on your compound lifts each week you're still getting stronger. I've seen people build serious muscle just using mostly isolation exercises and high volume, they're weak as piss but look the part. No one training method is better it just depends on you're goals and preferences how it works for you.

runtyemonster

Awards
There's been multiple studies showing that training a muscle group 1x week,2x week or 3x week makes no difference in hypertrophy or strength. 5x5 is popular because it builds a good foundation of strength but it's not the only way. As long as you're getting stronger on your compound lifts each week you're still getting stronger. I've seen people build serious muscle just using mostly isolation exercises and high volume, they're weak as piss but look the part. No one training method is better it just depends on you're goals and preferences how it works for you.
Point me in the direction of the studies that say that. Not saying your wrong but it definitely goes against what all the pros practice. I would for sure like to read up on those.

APC80

APC80

Awards
So what about the Lp candito strength/hypertrophy training programm is that a good beginners routine, or should I just stick to a 5 day split and focus on one muscle group.
Choose whatever you like to do mate. Getting stronger on you're compound movements and eating in a caloric surplus will make you grow as long as you're training hard enough.

runtyemonster

Awards
Choose whatever you like to do mate. Getting stronger on you're compound movements and eating in a caloric surplus will make you grow as long as you're training hard enough.
I agree. Do whatever your comfortable with. But if you want optimal results, do some research. The weight game has changed a lot. We're​ learning things about recovery and performance we didn't know. Most importantly, just do something, it's better then doing nothing at all. Focus on technique. Eat enough. As you get more into lifting you will find what works best for you. Enjoy the journey man.

APC80

APC80

Awards
Point me in the direction of the studies that say that. Not saying your wrong but it definitely goes against what all the pros practice. I would for sure like to read up on those.
Im on the mobile app here mate but The International Journal of Exercise Science published a study that had the trainees doing 3x,2x and 1x weekly body part training it says "both HFT and LFT resulted in similar changes in lean mass following eight weeks of training". You can look it up yourself by searching 'study on body part training frequency'.

runtyemonster

Awards
Im on the mobile app here mate but The International Journal of Exercise Science published a study that had the trainees doing 3x,2x and 1x weekly body part training it says "both HFT and LFT resulted in similar changes in lean mass following eight weeks of training". You can look it up yourself by searching 'study on body part training frequency'.
I will. Thanks bud b

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Getting stronger on you're compound movements and eating in a caloric surplus will make you grow as long as you're training hard enough.
This IMO is the bullet point. Whether you are doing a Dr Ken style very abbreviated 2 exercise HIT W/O, Wendler's 531, McCallum's power stuff, or Starr or Rippetoe's 5x5

I think too many guys (especially beginners) get caught up in doing, this split, that routine, how many days per, too much for the small mirror muscle groups like arms, and miss the biggest points of getting larger and stronger all over. The largest muscle masses of the body that use the most bar weight and enlist big hormonal and structural torso/spine loading changes.
Compound exercises tie the big body's systems, muscle, CNS, cardio and respiratory and on and on, together.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Something like an push pull off repeat would be good or something like: Chest/back, Legs, Shoulders/Arms, off, then repeat