Need some input with new split

DinnerTable²

DinnerTable²

Awards
I've been training for 11 years now. I've done body part splits, full body, upper/lower, ppl, and many other types of splits. But my new work has me working 12hrs on nights. Rotation is work 4 nights, off 4 nights.

I tried going after work a little while back and it is somewhat miserable. Those who have went through similar, what have you tried?

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
maybe @dapack has some feedback since he has had some tough schedules...

I know I normally do 2 on 1 off but last week did 4 on because of scheduling and really loved it but had to be smart about what I was doing...

DinnerTable²

DinnerTable²

Awards
What I'm currently think is doing something like the following.

4 non work days -
1. Upper
2. Lower
3. Upper
4. Lower
(Or maybe some sort of ppl split? Like push/pull/cardio/legs)

Then, on work days
1. Off
2. Full body
3. Cardio
4. Off
(Or maybe off/upper/lower/off)

Either way, I want to limit the workout sessions during those 4 days I work. It's a long drive to work, then12 hrs shift so I feel like I'd just be half-assing workouts trying to rush.

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I've been training for 11 years now. I've done body part splits, full body, upper/lower, ppl, and many other types of splits. But my new work has me working 12hrs on nights. Rotation is work 4 nights, off 4 nights.

I tried going after work a little while back and it is somewhat miserable. Those who have went through similar, what have you tried?
I would just concentrate on getting your workouts in on your days off and not worry about workdays. I do at least 1 double a week, 16 hours, and it take me a few nights of solid sleep to recover afterwards to have a decent day in the gym. Personally if I had your schedule on your Friday make it a light day if you want in the gym and to get some movement in. Hit is hard the other 3 days and call it a week.

Wobmarvel

Wobmarvel

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I have annoying work schedules. I chose a push pull legs split. I train usually at least 5 days a week sometimes 6 but I find training legs more than twice in a week would be mental even if I wasn't working full time. My days off change so I have to chop and change weekly. I workout much better before work in the am rather than after work in the evening so I will always try and time legs so that it's am or day off. Push is my favourite so I can do that after a shift and still be pretty motivated so can slot that in anywhere and pull I prefer am but can do pm and if I'm feeling gassed I will lower volume but still try and beat last session on at least one or two lifts.

If I was 4 on 4 off I would probably Working day off working day push, working day off, working day pull, then on my days off do legs, push, pull, legs then repeat so you have a day off back at work after legs etc.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
4 non work days -
1. Upper
2. Lower
3. Upper
4. Lower
(Or maybe some sort of ppl split? Like push/pull/cardio/legs)
a lot of people really like those upper/lower splits. I struggle with it a bit because back and biceps are upper, but are very much involved in deadlifts... so rather than splitting up upper/lower exclusively I build around the movement (squat/press/deadlift)

Friday make it a light day if you want in the gym and to get some movement in. Hit is hard the other 3 days and call it a week.
I want to limit the workout sessions during those 4 days I work. It's a long drive to work, then12 hrs shift so I feel like I'd just be half-assing workouts trying to rush.
maybe your current plan with a little of dapack's comments could help. use that one work day session to hit some accessories or maybe just a big PL and call it a day to maintain a little practice/rom etc.

DinnerTable²

DinnerTable²

Awards
a lot of people really like those upper/lower splits. I struggle with it a bit because back and biceps are upper, but are very much involved in deadlifts... so rather than splitting up upper/lower exclusively I build around the movement (squat/press/deadlift)

maybe your current plan with a little of dapack's comments could help. use that one work day session to hit some accessories or maybe just a big PL and call it a day
yeah i usually do this and it allows good recovery for arms
M- upper
T- lower + arms
W- Off
Th- Upper
F- Lower+arms
Sat/Sunday- off

I think I'll focus the majority of my actual progressive overload training on non-work days, then do cardio/form training and maybe some calisthenics for my working days. Thank you guys for the input!

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Sounds like you have a decent plan so far.

How long do you have this new schedule?

I ask because if it isn't super long I'd probably just focus on training during off days then not worry too much about your long work days to train. If it is for a longer time period then you could slowly implement some days during work days to build tolerance and get used to the schedule and I'd bet eventually you'd be able to manage some pretty "typical" style days after you have adapted to them and built up a better tolerance.

Good luck with whatever you choose, keeping in mind specific splits and how you break things up is going to be down to personal tolerance and might need some slight modifications with a more unusual schedule.

lamarclark09

Awards
I personally do HIIT workouts, I usually perform HIIT workouts twice every week of a month. And it gives me a lot of benefits. I followed the following pattern of exercises,
  • Lower body( bodyweight squats) 3 no. of sets and 8 reps
  • Upper body (push-ups) 3 no. of sets and 8 no. of reps
  • Lower body( Lunge) 3 no. of sets and 8 no. of reps
  • Upper body and back muscles ( pull-ups ) 3 no. of sets and 8 no. of reps
  • Core ( Plank) 3 no. of sets and 8 no. of reps
  • Upper body and abdominal ( curl up ) 3 no. of sets and 8 no. of reps