Votes: 102 39.5%

Votes: 62 24.0%

Votes: 13 5.0%

Votes: 11 4.3%

• Total voters

Draven

Awards
  • Established
Being an ecto recovery is important so I use a 3 day split right now. I find less is more for my body type. However, I'll be switching to a 4 day split when "on" due to the improvement in recovery time when "on".

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
4 day split however no muscle group falls on a particular day (ie legs every monday etc)

legs/abs/light cardio
shoulders/biceps
off
back/traps/light cardio
chest/tris
off
(repeat)

always chaning though. Sage

ironviking

The Axe Man Cometh!!
Awards
  • Established
3 for me even while "on" (PH that is)
I can go that much harder while "on" so I would say recovery is still important

SCORPIO

Awards
  • Established
I was doing 4 days for the longest time....sometimes even 5 days...Now I'm more comfortable with 3days......I feel
I recover much better and feel more fresh for my next workout, plus I have more time to do other things. Right now I don't do cardio, but I think I'll add it on my off days to lower bf%.

Andy2k

Awards
3 on, 1 off.
Pecs/Front delts, Side delts Tris & low abs.
Lats, Rear delts, Traps, Bis and forearms
Legs and cardio.
day off and then start it all over again.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
3 on, 1 off.
Pecs/Front delts, Side delts Tris & low abs.
Lats, Rear delts, Traps, Bis and forearms
Legs and cardio.
day off and then start it all over again.
if you lift 3 days then take a day off, why not have chest/shoulder/tris
legs
back/traps/bis

you work your legs twice in 4 days? how???? why??? i aint walking properly til the 3rd or 4th day man. i know this isnt a critique thread, however you need to have more days off or have a longer split. or work your legs harder (hopefully, this aint the case) Sage

Andy2k

Awards

if you lift 3 days then take a day off, why not have chest/shoulder/tris
legs
back/traps/bis

you work your legs twice in 4 days? how???? why??? i aint walking properly til the 3rd or 4th day man. i know this isnt a critique thread, however you need to have more days off or have a longer split. or work your legs harder (hopefully, this aint the case) Sage
You must have misread things sage - legs only get worked once every four days. (as does everything else)
Unfortunately I can't hammer them as much as I'd like at the minute - still got a long way to go before my right leg is anywhere near up to scratch.
I work my upperbody split two days in a row in order to ensure that my accessory muscles get a couple of days rest - but this isn't set in stone. Next routine may be different (lats and pecs are good together, but damned hard work)
Chest gets worked with front delts/side delts/tris because they are the muscles which tend to get hammered all at once - I don't do anything specific for front delts this routine, as my main chest exercise is incline dumbell press; this gives them a serious pounding. Side delts tend to get more tired when doing anything with front delts, so they get thrown in there as well.
Rear delts have a different action, and are much more tied into lats and traps with their biomechanics. That's the reason for putting them on a back day.

The 3 on 1 off split has always worked well. I know that many people require longer rest periods, but for whatever reason, no matter how hard I work, it's the routine that works for me (even when I was working legs so much that I couldn't walk to the changing room afterwards!)

morfiend

Awards
  • Established
well I work legs twice a week..

monday - heavy quads -- leg press, 5x5, SLDL 3x5, calf 4x8, abs, 2x6,

tuesday-heavy bench/light pull -- bench 5x5, row 3x6, CG bench 3x6

thurs -- heavy ham -- DL 6x3, leg press 2x8, calf 3x10, abs 3x8

fri: heavy pull/light bench -- chin 6x3, incline bench, 3x8, BB ez curl, 3x6

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
5 days a week when bulking
4-5 days when maintaining
3-4 days when cutting
It all depends on how the rest of my life shapes up that week ;)

ManBeast

willieman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
1.Legs-concentrating on Quads - 3 high reps sets for hams
2.Arms-shoulders
3 off
4.legs-concentrating on hams - 3 high rep sets for quads
5. chest and back
6. off
7. off
calves done on leg days, abs at least 2 times per week, with cardio
2 times a week (I am getting ready to bump the cardio)

this routine has really added some mass to my frame, especially the legs

Peace

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
Have been doing 4 days splits for awhile. Planning on down to 3 in order to up recovery time.

OLD:
Sun-Legs
Mon-OFF
Tues-Shoulder/Abs/Light Calves/Cardio
Wed-Back
Thurs-Cardio
Fri-Arms/Abs/Chest/ Heavy Calves/Cardio
Sat-OFF

NEW:
Sun-Legs/Abs
Mon-OFF
Tues-Shoulders/Chest/Triceps/Cardio/Light Calves
Wed-Cardio/Abs
Thurs-Back/Biceps/
Fri-Cardio/Abs/Heavy Calves
Sat-OFF

Sheesh

Awards
  • Established
I'm currently using a 2 day split, so there's no place for me to vote :(.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
A push-pull? Upper-lower? Maybe something else? How are you doing them.... on/on/off? Just curious what my boy is up to these days with his workouts.
Sage

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
Same here...and it's working beautifully. I am doing something similar to the Iron Addict 2 day split with a few more isolation exercises-all 1 working set to failure. My recovery is GREAT and I'm always full of energy since my CNS is not fried from overtraining.

elvisaintdead

Awards
4 day split.

My days used to fall on different days. Monday might be legs this week but next week
it could be tuesday, etc.

however, as i've gotten older with family and brothers family and older parents and friends with families, and everybody with careers, i do a 4 day split that normally rotates around an off day on Weds. Maybe i'll do cardio on that day or not.

My weekends are no longer a time to workout. Saturday and Sunday consist of family outings, errands, and so on. Maybe I'll throw in some cardio if I can, but as i've gotten older, my weekends(sat and sunday) have become more or less, family time.

SO Mon-Fri i do a 4 day split. I do change up every 10-12 weeks, but normally I'll revert back to the 4 day split the most often.

Harland

Harland

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
i can't go less then 6 times a week, or i feel like trash.

pron

Awards
No split. Full body workouts, 3 - 5 days per week.

SureShot

SureShot

Awards
  • Established
3 day split, mon, wed, fri, one day upper, one day lower, although im training chest 3x a week to try and bring it up, 2 work sets per body part

msclbldrguy

Awards
  • Established
I like a 5 day split whether or not I'm "on". It lets me work each muscle group with more intensity.

Dan

Awards
I'm giving DC training a go right now, starting out with lower volume (each group three times every 12 days).

beamen28

beamen28

Awards
6 days a week. i really can't go any less, its a mental thing i guess.

m- chest, tris
t- back, bis
w- legs, shoulders

th- chest, tris
f- back, bis
s- legs, shoulders

sun- off

i rotate my workouts so that i don't do the same ones the second time around

handzilla

Awards
  • Established
I'm on it the same way beaman is.

Sun: Legs
Mon: Chest/back
Tue: Shoulders(delts and traps)/arms

Wed: Legs
Thur: Chest/back
Fri: Shoulders(delts and traps)/arms
Sat: Rest

Sunday through Tuesday I go heavy.
Wednesday through Friday I go lighter and for reps, also doing different exercises.

Kawi636

Awards
4 days
Mon- Chest,biceps
Tues-Legs, abs
Wed- Off
Thur- Back
Fri- Shoulders,triceps
Sat, Sun- Off

g4ud1n

Awards
  • Established
1. Chest, back
2. delts, traps
3. off
4. legs
5. arms
6. off

then repeat

Oatmeal_King

Awards
Outlook seems rather limited here. What about training a muscle multiple times per week?

I don't see the necessity of frying the CNS so badly it takes a week to recover, especially as you are simultaneousy letting the muscles go untrained.

My favorite for power / bulk is an upper/lower split done twice weekly. So, MON/THU = Lower Body, TUE/FRI = Upper Body, cardio or rest on WED/SAT/SUN.

Another option is to hit each muscle every 48 hours or so, which is probably ideal from a hypertrophy perspective but requires significant planning and intensity cycling to sustain for long.

Bas4Lizzife

Awards
Outlook seems rather limited here. What about training a muscle multiple times per week?

I don't see the necessity of frying the CNS so badly it takes a week to recover, especially as you are simultaneousy letting the muscles go untrained.

My favorite for power / bulk is an upper/lower split done twice weekly. So, MON/THU = Lower Body, TUE/FRI = Upper Body, cardio or rest on WED/SAT/SUN.

Another option is to hit each muscle every 48 hours or so, which is probably ideal from a hypertrophy perspective but requires significant planning and intensity cycling to sustain for long.
I go sunday, monday, wednesday, thursday w/ upper/lower/rest/upper/lower/rest/rest using a DFHT program. I like hitting everything more frequently and it seems to stave off boredom very well.

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, i was doing a push-pull 2 day split too when i had some problems on a leg :)
Now i'm on this 3 day split:

Mon: chest/tri
Wed: legs/abs
Fri: back/shoulders/bi

Newb017

Banned
Awards
squat day (and cleans) on monday/friday
bench day on tuesday/saturday
bicep/back day on wednesday
shoulders/traps on thursday
sunday off

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Work out Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Your basic hardgainer routine compliments of Stuart McRoberts "Beyond Brawn". Great reading material and I totally recommend it to anyone who has ever been a hardgainer.
Check this website out for more info: http://www.hardgainer.com/

Monday consists of a few heavy chest exercises with a tri exercise thrown in. (you work your tris pretty good if you're doing the heavy chest exercises).

Wednesday includes all Secondary bodyparts ie calves, abs, rotators, obliques, grip/forearms, neck and bis.
These help strengthen my stabilizing muscles allowing me to lift more weight in the bigger areas while keeping perfect form and allowing me to stay healthy. For instance, the rotator exercise keeps my shoulders in great condition and pain free even when lifting the heaviest weights while benching. Wouldn't do a routine without them.

Friday starts with a few heavy sets of legs and ends with a few heavy sets of back.

Simple, but effective. Plenty of rest between workouts and especially great for someone like me who has a family to take care of and not a load of time to work with. Been using this routine and variations of this routine off and on for years. I always seem to come back to it too.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Right now, it's a 5 day split. M-F. However, if i get too burnt out, I'll take a day ff immediately. example, I hit mon :chest, tues: legs, the wed took off b/c I was BEAT.

I may switch to a 4 day split...still thinking..

fightercowboy

fightercowboy

Awards
  • Established
3 Days on 1 off
Day 1: Push
Day 2: Pull
Day 3: Legs

each day I do a total of 16 sets

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I kind of do a 4 day split,but its spread out over 9 days instead of 7.

Chest/Tris/Calves
Off
Back/Bis/Abs
Off
Legs/Calves/Forearms
Off
Off
Bi's/Delts/Abs
Off

Ill do supplemental work at home and at the gym at work too on the off days. Concentration curls, lateral raises, cardio,pushups etc.

I find the extra rest leads to bigger gains, and I get a lot more done. Dont have time for a 5 day split on a 7 day week now that I have a 'real job':)

BV

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I kind of do a 4 day split,but its spread out over 9 days instead of 7.

Chest/Tris/Calves
Off
Back/Bis/Abs
Off
Legs/Calves/Forearms
Off
Off
Bi's/Delts/Abs
Off

Ill do supplemental work at home and at the gym at work too on the off days. Concentration curls, lateral raises, cardio,pushups etc.

I find the extra rest leads to bigger gains, and I get a lot more done.

BV

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
Mon: chest/tri
Wed: legs/abs
Fri: back/shoulders/bi
I'm on a different split now:

day1: chest/tri/abs
day2: legs/bi
day3: back/shoulders/abs

across a 9 day split. when i'm off i need 2 full days of rest between workouts.

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
Still trying to figure out my "sweet spot" as far as what type of workout is best for me. Right now i'm doing:

1. Chest/delts/abs
2. Back/calves
3. Off
4. Arms/delts/abs
5. Legs
6. Off
7 Repeat

cpa5oh

Awards
  • Established
No split. Full body workouts, 3 - 5 days per week.
Same here. Though I use a "sort of/almost" HIT routine. I use rest/pause on any excercise that lends itself to that.

I don't know that this is good to do forever, but since I've made the switch I've made progress.

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
I'm going to try this 3 day split. http://www.bodyforlife2.com/bodybuilding/3daysplit1a_form.html

Tue, Thu, and Sat. If you click on the top right you can see day two and click on day 3... I'm also going to do a warm-up set on each routine.... You guys think this is a decent program? or not enough? Forgot to mention..... Abs on Mon, Wed and Fridays... Off on Sundays.

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
I'm going to try this 3 day split. http://www.bodyforlife2.com/bodybuilding/3daysplit1a_form.html

Tue, Thu, and Sat. If you click on the top right you can see day two and click on day 3... I'm also going to do a warm-up set on each routine.... You guys think this is a decent program? or not enough? Forgot to mention..... Abs on Mon, Wed and Fridays... Off on Sundays.
Its a very clean split. I like it. I find 3 excercises for the triceps to be too much. Oh and the reps are on the higher side too. I would subtract 2 to all reps. I also think that ramping down reps on ALL excercises is a waste, but I find effective that on the main compound excercises (squat, flat bench, shouldre press)

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
Its a very clean split. I like it. I find 3 excercises for the triceps to be too much. Oh and the reps are on the higher side too. I would subtract 2 to all reps. I also think that ramping down reps on ALL excercises is a waste, but I find effective that on the main compound excercises (squat, flat bench, shouldre press)
Thanks for the reply, I've been doing this full body workout 3 days a week for 4 months with no time off, I'm finally taking this week off...... It started to take it's toll....... Made some good gains thoe.... I'm going to start this new 3 day split and see how things go. I just don't know how it will be "only" working each muscle group once a week.

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
I was actually going to create a new post because I just came off HST and want to try something different from a while.

Before I started HST I was doing this split:

Day One
Bench
Bent Over row
Barbell Curl
Close Grip press

Day Two
Squats
Lying Leg Curls
Millitary press
Shrug
Calves

Day Three
Cardio - Abs

Day Four
Flat bench
Incline bench
B.O. Row
Pull Down
Straight bar Curl
Preacher curl
Close grip
Push down

Day Five
Squats
Leg Press
Lying Leg curl
Sitff legged Dead Lift
Military press
Lateral Raises
Shrug
Upright Row
Calves

Day Six
Off

Day Seven
Cardio - Abs

I am going to try something like this now

Legs/Shoulders
Chest/Back
Bi's/ Tris

With abs twice a week and cardio all off days.

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
I am going to try something like this now

Legs/Shoulders
Chest/Back
Bi's/ Tris

I think you will like it..... I started doing close to the same...
Chest/Bi's
Back/Tris
Shoulders/Legs
I have noticed a difference already. I have more energy during the day
and I feel I'm doing more of a workout for each muscle group... Plus the longer recovery time.
Check out this site http://www.bodyforlife2.com/bodybui...lit1a_form.html Click on day two and day three at the top left.