Separating the Men From the Boys... The Deadlift Competiton - AnabolicMinds.com - Page 4

Separating the Men From the Boys... The Deadlift Competiton

Page 4 of 10 First ... 234569 ... Last
  1. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  270 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Going for it in about 45 minutes...with my new belt......Man I dont want to , but I got straps just in case!!!

RECOVERBRO

2. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by JoHNnyNuTZ View Post
    Going for it in about 45 minutes...with my new belt......Man I dont want to , but I got straps just in case!!!
    lol, I get wanting to go raw. What kind of belt did you get? My belt is so quality I've actually got a hoof sticking out the side. It's a lasagna of leather.

NSCA - CSCS
  3. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  270 lbs.

Well!!!!! The moment of truth...DRUMROLL PLEASE!!!!!!!!!.........

Well Got me 435 for 1 which is a new PR. Ill take it though. Tried 455 got it like 3 inches and DAYUMM...heavy stuff. HAd a bud at the gym, was like you got this take the quarters off and put on a dime and nickel. SO I did and GOT THAT SHIOT!!!!

I got a 6" Harbinger leather belt..I think I need to get a 4" one though. My ass is too big..LOL. I tightened as much as humanly possible..and still seems to move up a bit when I reach bottom. It def helped though . I think it kept my intestines in place..LOL. IT WAS SO TIGHT..I got nervous after I wanted to breathe and alomost couldnt get it off..LOL

RECOVERBRO

•   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"  250 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Lol good job johnny.

I actually saw and talked to a guy today at the FC who had a good deadlift. He did 626 for a single. Talked to him some and found out he only deadlifts once a month though. So I doubt I will ever deadlift with him. I might switch it up and only deadlift every other week.
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  248 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by JoHNnyNuTZ View Post
    Well!!!!! The moment of truth...DRUMROLL PLEASE!!!!!!!!!.........

Well Got me 435 for 1 which is a new PR. Ill take it though. Tried 455 got it like 3 inches and DAYUMM...heavy stuff. HAd a bud at the gym, was like you got this take the quarters off and put on a dime and nickel. SO I did and GOT THAT SHIOT!!!!

I got a 6" Harbinger leather belt..I think I need to get a 4" one though. My ass is too big..LOL. I tightened as much as humanly possible..and still seems to move up a bit when I reach bottom. It def helped though . I think it kept my intestines in place..LOL. IT WAS SO TIGHT..I got nervous after I wanted to breathe and alomost couldnt get it off..LOL
    great lift johnny!!! keep killin that sheet!!!
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  250 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk88 View Post
    Lol good job johnny.

I actually saw and talked to a guy today at the FC who had a good deadlift. He did 626 for a single. Talked to him some and found out he only deadlifts once a month though. So I doubt I will ever deadlift with him. I might switch it up and only deadlift every other week.
    I have done well from deadlifting less often. I use the westside system so, I tend to rotate exercises everly week. Two lower body days, two upper body days. One max effort day and one speed day for each. So I do, deads from the floor on speed day with 50-60% plus bands to develop speed. But on max effort days I usually do a squat or squat variation to a max. Then a heavy deadlift variation, usually block, or rack pulls, rotated with defecit pulls or goodmornings, I probably don't pull heavy deads from the floor but one time every 6-8 weeks.
  7. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  204 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Deadlifts
    Warmup I had 90 lbs plus the sled on leg press and did like 50 reps to warm my hips up going deep then widening my stance out and going deaper to get as loos and as much blood into the areas.
    225x8 1800
    315x6 1890
    425x3 1275 this tied an old PR
    435x2 870
    315x20 6300 Man that was awesome! I went for 425x3 and got it with much trouble. I mean it was a hard pull but not that bad, I figured I had more in me. I got the 3rd one up just above my knees and it pulled me back down. I rested about 3 minutes stripping the bar to 315 and strapping up to do a max rep set. I did not think I would get ANYWHERE NEAR 20 REPS WITH THAT WEIGHT.
    Live Hard, Laugh Hard, Love Hard and Heal Fast! - KLEEN
    Olympus Labs Rep - check us out at Olympus-Labs.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/252598-kleen-olympus-labs.html
  8. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"  250 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by MrKleen73 View Post
    Deadlifts
    Warmup I had 90 lbs plus the sled on leg press and did like 50 reps to warm my hips up going deep then widening my stance out and going deaper to get as loos and as much blood into the areas.
    225x8 1800
    315x6 1890
    435x2 870
    315x20 6300 Man that was awesome! I went for 425x3 and got it with much trouble. I mean it was a hard pull but not that bad, I figured I had more in me. I got the 3rd one up just above my knees and it pulled me back down. I rested about 3 minutes stripping the bar to 315 and strapping up to do a max rep set. I did not think I would get ANYWHERE NEAR 20 REPS WITH THAT WEIGHT.
    Badass with the 315 for 20 reps. I know 405 is a rough rep out for me.
  9. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Deadlifts
    225x8 1800
    315x6 1890
    435x2 870
    Damn, 315 for 20, wtf. That's a beastly weight to hit for endurance reps Kleen
    NSCA - CSCS
  10. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'4"  260 lbs.

Deadlifts
    225x8 1800
    315x6 1890
    435x2 870
    315x20 6300 Man that was awesome! I went for 425x3 and got it with much trouble. I mean it was a hard pull but not that bad, I figured I had more in me. I got the 3rd one up just above my knees and it pulled me back down.
    I rested about 3 minutes stripping the bar to 315 and strapping up to do a max rep set. I did not think I would get ANYWHERE NEAR 20 REPS WITH THAT WEIGHT.
    Widowmaker Deadlifts...........Thunder-likey!!!

Did you feel like this afterwards?
    THE PAIN YOU ENDURE TODAY WILL PRODUCE THE POWER YOU ENJOY TOMORROW!!

"Ye are gods, and all of you are children of the most High."
  11. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'4"  260 lbs.

425x3 this tied an old PR.
    According to my 1RM calculator that puts you at around 463.25 for a max deadlift.

You're closing in on that 500 lbs. big Kleen!!!!

12. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'4"  260 lbs.

For real. Friday's deadlifts of 435 X 12 was a rough one for me. But that was after some 400+ lb. SLDL's for 10 reps. Just wanted to see what regular deads felt like after all these years.

13. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  204 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Thanks Tom!
    Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    Damn, 315 for 20, wtf. That's a beastly weight to hit for endurance reps Kleen
    Man it was intense at the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by thundergod View Post
    Widowmaker Deadlifts...........Thunder-likey!!!

Did you feel like this afterwards?
    Yep that's about right. Well I actually felt like roaring and pounding my chest then getting noodle legs. The last 2 I rested for 1 second and maybe 2 in the down position to twist the wraps tighter with out re-gripping, but once I got started and close to 20 I really wanted it.

According to my 1RM calculator that puts you at around 463.25 for a max deadlift.

You're closing in on that 500 lbs. big Kleen!!!!
    Nice that is a new goal and considering some recent from changes I am pulling easier now. I know I will be able to hit 500 in the not to distant future.
    For real. Friday's deadlifts of 435 X 12 was a rough one for me. But that was after some 400+ lb. SLDL's for 10 reps. Just wanted to see what regular deads felt like after all these years.
    Yeah I would love to see what the Thunderous one can do when fresh in about the 6-8 range. I know you don't like going to low in reps but I bet fresh you can rep 500.
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/252598-kleen-olympus-labs.html
  14. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  218 lbs.

Nice stuff man awesome lifts! I am really trying to decide if I can safely allow myself in this contest. I will just lift tomorrow and see how it feels with a little heavier weight. If it feels good I will hit heavy as I can on Saturday.

Does anyone have a good recommendation on weight progression in warm up for a max so I don't blow my load before I get to my max? I don't have any experience with this and I know there are a lot of good recommendations with this group of guys. I was thinking I should be pulling about 405-425 since I haven't pulled heavy in a long time so say if I were going to try a max at 425 how many warm ups should I do, how long in between them and what percentage of weights as well as reps should I do for each warm up.
    Chris, warmup for max's, I love to do trips (3's). A sampling would be:

135 - 10
    225 - 3
    315 - 3
    405 - 3
    Then Max.

I'd like to get in on this. I know in the previous challenges, its been difficult since my workouts are tailored to cutting and I've been doing full bodies for a few months now.

Best I've done is 505@205 'on' and with belt, no wraps. Right now I'm taking fish oil, a fat burner, and ASGT prework, thats it. I'm sittin at 196ish, gonna shoot for 455 and work from there. I may have to strap, we'll see. I've got a partner any may video this so y'all can see me in 'beast' mode
  15. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  218 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by MongoSS View Post
    I have done well from deadlifting less often. I use the westside system so, I tend to rotate exercises everly week. Two lower body days, two upper body days. One max effort day and one speed day for each. So I do, deads from the floor on speed day with 50-60% plus bands to develop speed. But on max effort days I usually do a squat or squat variation to a max. Then a heavy deadlift variation, usually block, or rack pulls, rotated with defecit pulls or goodmornings, I probably don't pull heavy deads from the floor but one time every 6-8 weeks.
    Mongo, where you been? Good to see you big fella!
  16. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"  250 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by FlexW99 View Post
    Chris, warmup for max's, I love to do trips (3's). A sampling would be:

135 - 10
    225 - 3
    315 - 3
    405 - 3
    Then Max.

I'd like to get in on this. I know in the previous challenges, its been difficult since my workouts are tailored to cutting and I've been doing full bodies for a few months now.

Best I've done is 505@205 'on' and with belt, no wraps. Right now I'm taking fish oil, a fat burner, and ASGT prework, thats it. I'm sittin at 196ish, gonna shoot for 455 and work from there. I may have to strap, we'll see. I've got a partner any may video this so y'all can see me in 'beast' mode
    Yes video deadlifts ftw!
  17. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  199 lbs.

Well, I promised an update from my contest.

Bar weight was 475#

I was the last competitor in my weight class (under 200#), so all I had to do was enough to maintain my first place position. The guy before me did 14 reps, so I did 16 reps and called it quits. I had plenty more in the tank, and felt like I could have done 30 easy. No need to show off and waste my energy with stones still left to go.

Overall I got 1st place. I will post pictures this afternoon.

DH

Thought I would include the link from the local paper that covered the event...I have one picture in the article. Its the last one of the overhead log lift - I got 7 reps.
    http://www.pjstar.com/news/x187208037/A-show-of-muscle

Here is a link to the thread on this site with my pics.
    Muscle on Main - NAS event
  18. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  270 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by drivehard View Post

Bar weight was 475#

I was the last competitor in my weight class (under 200#), so all I had to do was enough to maintain my first place position. The guy before me did 14 reps, so I did 16 reps and called it quits. I had plenty more in the tank, and felt like I could have done 30 easy. No need to show off and waste my energy with stones still left to go.

DH
    AWESOME man. Thats sweet!!!

RECOVERBRO

19. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'4"  260 lbs.

Bar weight was 475#

DH
    Congratulations are in order drivehard!!

So this was a strongman competition. Even sweeter. I thought you were competing in a powerlifting competition.

I can't wait to see those videos bro. I love strongman competitions.

20. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  204 lbs.

Good Stuff Man that was awesome. Somehow my 315x20 doesn't seem so impressive now. LOL
  21. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Bar weight was 475#

DH

Thought I would include the link from the local paper that covered the event...I have one picture in the article. Its the last one of the overhead log lift - I got 7 reps.
    http://www.pjstar.com/news/x187208037/A-show-of-muscle
    Congrats bro and reps!
    NSCA - CSCS
  22. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  199 lbs.

Pics are now linked above...enjoy!
  23. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Pics are now linked above...enjoy!
    I checked them out. You got some serious forearm flexors bro. They look like they're ready to explode on those tire DL's.
    NSCA - CSCS
  24. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  281 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

[quote=drivehard;2601843]Well, I promised an update from my contest.

Bar weight was 475#

DH

Here is a link to the thread on this site with my pics.

That's top notch!!! You should be stoked as all get out!
  25. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  244 lbs.

finally was able to hit some deads. Did the all lifts raw.
    240-5
    335-3
    425-3
    515-1
    weighed 245 today
  26. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Nice. Looks like the average here is about 400#'s, some in the 500# club and two in the 600# club.
    NSCA - CSCS
  27. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'4"  260 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by The Neck View Post
    New here & wanted to give a shout out!

6'3"
    36yrs
    725/221 = 3.28
    Strap, Belt, & Suited
    On Cycle = Halo, Test E
    Nice. Looks like the average here is about 400#'s, some in the 500# club and two in the 600# club.
    Don't forget our one contestant who's in that elusive 700# club.

28. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Don't forget our one contestant who's in that elusive 700# club.
    Oh snap, how'd I miss that. Also, I think there are quite a few under 200lbs guys liftig 2.0-2.5 relative to bodyweight.
    NSCA - CSCS
  29. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'4"  260 lbs.

Oh snap, how'd I miss that. Also, I think there are quite a few under 200lbs guys liftig 2.0-2.5 relative to bodyweight.
    That's when you know someone is strong. Lifting 2.0 to 2.5 relative to bodyweight.

Even my big ass is doing that much after all these years. Makes me feel good.

Old Quote from page 4:

Now it's been many years since I did conventional deads so I was surprised to hit 435 X 12 reps!! Much recognition goes deservedly to those Versa Gripps. Once you're strapped on, that grip ain't coming loose!!

So on a 1RM calculator I checked and 435 X 12 reps is supposed to equate to a 591.6 lb. deadlift. Not bad after all these years of not deadlifting. Looks like I'll have to include them more often. At least once a month

30. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"  250 lbs.

I want that 3 to relative body weight and 700 on the bar.

Also dont get caught up too much in 1 rm calculators. My 405 for 17 says I should be able to get 730
  31. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  204 lbs.

Such a beast. So is this week the week we are supposed to max? If so I have a plan for this week. I think I was supposed to try to max on DL this week. I have a pull workout Thursday, will be depleted too so I am going to do a mixed upper body day instead. Friday I will start my carb up and then Saturday when I go to the gym I will start with Deads, and then move to some leg press to completely smash my legs into submission.

Perhaps I will do my dead lifts, get my max done then lower the weight and do another Rep Out. After that have a go at doing centuries on the leg press. That sounds like a hell of a workout doesn’t it?
  32. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"  250 lbs.

Hell ya mrkleen! What Ben and I would used to do is do our heavy set or max then do a rep out with 405. So one could win the max out(me) and the other could possibly win the rep out(Ben). But then the FC employees started bitching about "slammin" weights. So we stopped doing that but I might have to bring it back.
  33. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Also dont get caught up too much in 1 rm calculators. My 405 for 17 says I should be able to get 730
    My best so far is 2.54 BW. Not that impressive among the numbers here, but at my L.A. Fitness family gym, it was outrageous.
    NSCA - CSCS
  34. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'4"  260 lbs.

Oh, I don't put that much trust in them. But I'm also not considering doing max-singles anytime soon.

I was somewhat pleased to do 435 X 12 after hitting up heavy SLDL's. And it was after many years of not even doing conventional deadlifts.
    I love doing somewhat moderate to high reps. Just got hooked on bodybuilding type training I guess.

35. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"  250 lbs.

Well I love the POWER lol. Plus I just get a mind fack when it comes to lifting for reps. Then it REALLY has to be about competition to push me.
  36. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  204 lbs.

Hell ya mrkleen! What Ben and I would used to do is do our heavy set or max then do a rep out with 405. So one could win the max out(me) and the other could possibly win the rep out(Ben). But then the FC employees started bitching about "slammin" weights. So we stopped doing that but I might have to bring it back.
    Now that I have gotten started with them I may just build myself a platform and do them in the garage if my little love affair continues. I don't wan't people coming up bothering me. Of course I would tell them they had a whole lot of other stuff to fix before worrying about me making noise. Luckily I am at a 10 a month gym where they basically have the attitude you pay 10$ you get access to the gym that is all we do for you unless you want to buy training. So even if someone complained they would tell them what I was told once. You only pay $10 a month if you don't like the service you get for $10 a month feel free to cancel your membership. Lets be honest they make more money off of gym members who don't go than the ones actually going and complaining. At $10 a month who cancels... LOL

Oh yeah cool thing, my instructor told me yesterday that since they are moving the Dojo I can have whatever flooring they don't use in the new spot to put in my garage. He gets the nice 3/4 inch commercial stuff too. SO I will have to use that for rolling and what not maybe an Outdoor DL platform... I do have a concreted section of my back yard. HMMM Decisions....
  37. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.

Back is feeling fresh today, probably will try to max.
  38. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"  250 lbs.

Now that I have gotten started with them I may just build myself a platform and do them in the garage if my little love affair continues. I don't wan't people coming up bothering me. Of course I would tell them they had a whole lot of other stuff to fix before worrying about me making noise. Luckily I am at a 10 a month gym where they basically have the attitude you pay 10$ you get access to the gym that is all we do for you unless you want to buy training. So even if someone complained they would tell them what I was told once. You only pay $10 a month if you don't like the service you get for $10 a month feel free to cancel your membership. Lets be honest they make more money off of gym members who don't go than the ones actually going and complaining. At $10 a month who cancels... LOL

Oh yeah cool thing, my instructor told me yesterday that since they are moving the Dojo I can have whatever flooring they don't use in the new spot to put in my garage. He gets the nice 3/4 inch commercial stuff too. SO I will have to use that for rolling and what not maybe an Outdoor DL platform... I do have a concreted section of my back yard. HMMM Decisions....
    Ya the only people that have complained to me r fitness center employees but I think they just wanted to feel important and do something for a change lol. They said someone came and complained to them at the front. If u have a problem with me say something to my face. I dont get it. And man Im jealous of a $10 a month gym lol. The only place worth going to here is $30 a month. Not outrageous but free is so much better.

Very nice Im a little jealous of u. Although I would have to have buy way too many plates lol. What MA do u practice btw?
  39. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

$10 gym pass is nuts!

I wished I could Squat & DL in my garage. There's something barbaric and hardcore about that, that turns me on. At the other specturm, I do appreciate the variety I get at a commerical mega-gym and the occasional free test boost eye candy.
    NSCA - CSCS
  40. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Killerkanadia View Post
    Back is feeling fresh today, probably will try to max.
    Good luck bro, kill'em'all.

NSCA - CSCS
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Trying to help my boys...
    By Jjaden in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-06-2004, 02:53 PM
  2. IA--Man Among Boys
    By propagandhi in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-21-2003, 11:31 AM