Separating the Men From the Boys... The Deadlift Competiton

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
Man it isn't to often I fit into the category with the little guys but I have to place myself there in this group. LOL
**** with the numbers some of these dudes pullin put me in the lil group too

GMG760

GMG760

Awards
  • Established
Nice posts you guys. Let's keep them coming, let's start prepping for the big lift this week or early next week. This is going to be the first of the max effort attempts. Give it your best, then spend the next two weeks preparing for the next max effort! Grit your teeth, dig deep, and pull!!!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nice stuff man awesome lifts! I am really trying to decide if I can safely allow myself in this contest. I will just lift tomorrow and see how it feels with a little heavier weight. If it feels good I will hit heavy as I can on Saturday.

Does anyone have a good recommendation on weight progression in warm up for a max so I don't blow my load before I get to my max? I don't have any experience with this and I know there are a lot of good recommendations with this group of guys. I was thinking I should be pulling about 405-425 since I haven't pulled heavy in a long time so say if I were going to try a max at 425 how many warm ups should I do, how long in between them and what percentage of weights as well as reps should I do for each warm up.

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
Does anyone have a good recommendation on weight progression in warm up for a max so I don't blow my load before I get to my max? I don't have any experience with this and I know there are a lot of good recommendations with this group of guys. I was thinking I should be pulling about 405-425 since I haven't pulled heavy in a long time so say if I were going to try a max at 425 how many warm ups should I do, how long in between them and what percentage of weights as well as reps should I do for each warm up.
This might work for you

135 x 10
225 x 8
315 x 2-4
405 x 1
435 x 1 (you got it in ya!!!)

mxmatt15

mxmatt15

Awards
  • Established
19 yrs old, 355 max at 170lbs(no belt or straps). Most ive tried at least, all natural and just recently started DL about 2 months ago. Nothing to brag about but i thought id join in. 355/170=2.09

bigsexy74

bigsexy74

Awards
  • Established
ok so my max numbers suck lol, oh well, something to shoot for.
5'7
36 y/o
355/255=1.39
on cycle as of today
no straps, only wearing belt for 1 rep max attempts.

Mongo97

Awards
  • Established
lower back is still recovering right now how long is this going to run. If its for a few months Ill be in. 26 245 5'9" 455x5 straps. as soon as I feel good enough to hit heavy deads Ill go raw and see what my numbers are and update.
forgot to add i am off cycle.

GMG760

GMG760

Awards
  • Established
19 yrs old, 355 max at 170lbs(no belt or straps). Most ive tried at least, all natural and just recently started DL about 2 months ago. Nothing to brag about but i thought id join in. 355/170=2.09
ok so my max numbers suck lol, oh well, something to shoot for.
5'7
36 y/o
355/255=1.39
on cycle as of today
no straps, only wearing belt for 1 rep max attempts.
forgot to add i am off cycle.
Welcome guys! It seems we have our first on cycle contestant, hopefully we will fill in the league with more contestants. Mind putting what you are running, just so we have an idea (IE methyltrienalone will have a different effect on your deadlift numbers than furazabol),

I will do a contestant and DL #'s update tonight.

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
if you're simply trying for a 1RM you should have less volume on wu. 1'd do some leg presses at almost no weight to warm up knees and hams. then do 135 x 3, 225 x 3 (possibly twice depending how you feel), and 315 x 1. then just put on 405 and go. very low volume therefore not much growth stimulus but you'd set the PR.

thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
An old boy dropping in to see how the young men do it.

My best was 610 raw grip and it was before ever taking AAS or even natty test-boosters. LOL

I did SLDL's 11 days ago and hit 415 for 10 reps. Strapped. That will have to suffice....:lame:

I gave up on maxing out and the whole "wanna be a powerlifter" thingy after I tore my right pec 3 and 1/2 years ago. Now it's heavy weights, but for reps.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am good to go on Wednesday guys. Hoping for 470-475 @ 202, however, I think that I might be reaching a bit.

bigsexy74

bigsexy74

Awards
  • Established
Welcome guys! It seems we have our first on cycle contestant, hopefully we will fill in the league with more contestants. Mind putting what you are running, just so we have an idea (IE methyltrienalone will have a different effect on your deadlift numbers than furazabol),

I will do a contestant and DL #'s update tonight.
superdrol

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Dead Lifts - 135x8, 225x8, 315x8, 365x5, 415x3 at 207 so 2 times body weight for 3 reps. all done with only gloves on to protect my purdy hands, no belt, no wraps. LOL I should have only done 6 on the 315 set and I may have gone up to 425. O now I could have gotten 5 on 415 with raps. I wasn't having a problem lifting the weight but holding on to it on the 415 set was a bitch! Considering I have done NO GRIP WORK in a very long time from my tendinitis. I have been using wraps on every pulling lift for about 6 months now. So knowing that and that I haven't been dead lifting for a while this is DAMN good stuff for me. I am definitely impressed with this lift for me.

Yeah you guys were right about volume. I think can go heavier with less of a warm up. I meant the 8 on 135 and 225, but meant for 6 on 315 but it was so easy I just kept pulling and then was like oops put it down. Either way coolest thing is that I did not hurt my shoulder at all doing these. I was afraid I would feel some pain and then rip, but nothing of the sort. Even now the shoulder is feeling stellar.

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
Is it just me, or do you guys find it easier to DL with chalk over gloves?

RepThat21

RepThat21

Awards
  • Established
ill join in on this...age 21, 5'10", 190 pounds,raw grip and off cycle my best ever was 390, so 390/190=2.05

GMG760

GMG760

Awards
  • Established
So, my first attempt was a success. I pulled 135x8, 225x5, 315x4, 405x1, then 435x1. I attempted 465, but I ran out of gas. I think I have 465 if I went from like 375ish straight to it. We'll see in 2 more weeks. I pulled with a belt, no hormones, chalk for my grip. Finished off the deadlifts with 315x8, 315x6, 315x4, 225x6 and wrapped up my back workout with some pull ups and rows. Did a little biceps, but my tank was on empty after the deads. Felt good though, was the most I've ever pulled raw grip or off cycle for that matter. STOKED!

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So, my first attempt was a success. I pulled 135x8, 225x5, 315x4, 405x1, then 435x1. I attempted 465, but I ran out of gas. I think I have 465 if I went from like 375ish straight to it. We'll see in 2 more weeks. I pulled with a belt, no hormones, chalk for my grip. Finished off the deadlifts with 315x8, 315x6, 315x4, 225x6 and wrapped up my back workout with some pull ups and rows. Did a little biceps, but my tank was on empty after the deads. Felt good though, was the most I've ever pulled raw grip or off cycle for that matter. STOKED!
Hell ya good ish man. I know how maxing can wear u out. It def whooped my ass today.

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
Went light today due to my competition on Sat.

225 x 10
315 x 8
405 x 6
405 x 6
405 x 6

All without straps or belt...just chalk and grit ;-)

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nice..It isnt in my new workout but I will attempt a new max. Got me a new belt just for this competiton...LOL. We shall see. A bit under the weather today...BUT IM NOT MAKING ANY EXCUSES!!!!!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yeah guys I honestly think I could have gone up if I were using chalk instead of gloves, but I am not complaining on 415x3. I may order up some liquid chalk and see how my hands hold up to that. I know it sounds goofy but I try to keep my hands in good shape, not all caloused up.

thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nice..It isnt in my new workout but I will attempt a new max. Got me a new belt just for this competiton...LOL. We shall see. A bit under the weather today...BUT IM NOT MAKING ANY EXCUSES!!!!!
Yeah guys I honestly think I could have gone up if I were using chalk instead of gloves, but I am not complaining on 415x3. I may order up some liquid chalk and see how my hands hold up to that. I know it sounds goofy but I try to keep my hands in good shape, not all caloused up.
JoHNny bought a new belt and you may order some liquid chalk just for this competition. COOL. :147:

Well.........I ordered some Versa Gripps 2 days ago and they should be here before my next leg workout (Friday) when I usually hit up stiff-legged deadlifts.
But when I put those Versa Gripps on........lookout!! I may have to come out of deadlifting retirement just for this competition!!! :head:

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
JoHNny bought a new belt and you may order some liquid chalk just for this competition. COOL. :147:

Well.........I ordered some Versa Gripps 2 days ago and they should be here before my next leg workout (Friday) when I usually hit up stiff-legged deadlifts.
But when I put those Versa Gripps on........lookout!! I may have to come out of deadlifting retirement just for this competition!!! :head:
Man I really want a pair of those. Let me know what you think of them when they come in. If they really are superior to gloves and wraps. If so I am all over it as soon as the wife is back to work and money comes back in.

I would love to see some Thunder Dead numbers but not if it is going to hurt you in any way.

thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I would love to see some Thunder Dead numbers but not if it is going to hurt you in any way.
It won't hurt. I'm not injured in any way. Besides, "That which does not kill us, only makes us stronger."

I simply gave up Deads years ago when I shifted more from powerlifting to a bodybuilding type of training.

My SLDL numbers (415 X 10) should show that my lower back is plenty strong. :twisted:

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
HOLY SHIOT!!!SLDL !!!!!!!415 for 10.....OMFG!!!!Your back is like an OX!!!!

thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
HOLY SHIOT!!!SLDL !!!!!!!415 for 10.....OMFG!!!!Your back is like an OX!!!!
"There is no point in being alive if you cannot do the deadlift."
-Jón Páll Sigmarsson-
;)

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
LOL...I just recently got back(SERIOUSLY) into lifting...I cant wait to see where Im at in a year!!! BEASTMODE!!!!

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Man I really want a pair of those. Let me know what you think of them when they come in. If they really are superior to gloves and wraps. If so I am all over it as soon as the wife is back to work and money comes back in.

Versa grips are the truth good sirs. I can raw grip 405 for 4-5 raw, but versa grip 405 for 10 easy (when I could do 405 for 10), more recenly I coud raw grip 375 on racks, but with versa's I can grip up to 6 plates with ease (on racks).

I use them primarily for shrugs now and hang snatches/cleans above a certain weight. I highly recommend them if your back can outlast your grip on certain exercises.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
New here & wanted to give a shout out!

6'3"
36yrs
725/221 = 3.28
Strap, Belt, & Suited
On Cycle = Halo, Test E
Shat, nice numbers and welcome to AM

Last edited:
GMG760

GMG760

Awards
  • Established

6'3"
36yrs
725/221 = 3.28
Strap, Belt, & Suited
On Cycle = Halo, Test E
Glad to have you here bud.

Sorry for the lack of updates to the original league numbers, I'll try to get it up to par today. I gotta get a xcell spreadsheet going, because going back and forth between pages is getting old already.

thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

6'3"
36yrs
725/221 = 3.28
Strap, Belt, & Suited
On Cycle = Halo, Test E
Wilkommen!!! :welcome:

Great deadlifting dude. :clap2:

Great Odin, I miss my old super suit. And bench shirt. Those were some fun days.

And though I might be a bit biased, you're gonna love it here at AM. You'll get the chance to communicate with some very cool people here.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

6'3"
36yrs
725/221 = 3.28
Strap, Belt, & Suited
On Cycle = Halo, Test E
AWESOME MAN! At 6'3" that is a LONG way to pull 725 lbs and at a weight of 221 and that tall that is fugging amazing.

Great Odin, I miss my old super suit. And bench shirt. Those were some fun days.

And though I might be a bit biased, you're gonna love it here at AM. You'll get the chance to communicate with some very cool people here.
Even a few Gods too!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Volc thanks for the info on the Versa Grips. Only thigng holding me back on those deads last night was grip. I had another 2 if my grip wasn't failing. I damn near just dropped the bar on the last one during my lock out.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Volc thanks for the info on the Versa Grips. Only thigng holding me back on those deads last night was grip. I had another 2 if my grip wasn't failing. I damn near just dropped the bar on the last one during my lock out.
I know that feeling, it's like you're pinching the bar for dear life cause the BB is at your finger tips. Seriously though, I've used my share of traditional long/short wraps and various hooks and NOTHING grips like the Versa.

Raw gripping for reps is a different beast then raw gripping for singles.

The Neck

The Neck

Awards
  • Established
Shat, nice numbers and welcome to AM
Glad to have you here bud.

Sorry for the lack of updates to the original league numbers, I'll try to get it up to par today. I gotta get a xcell spreadsheet going, because going back and forth between pages is getting old already.

I appriciate the shout back! I wish someone would of told me about this place a long time ago! Looks like we can all trade some serious knowledge around here!

The Neck

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I know that feeling, it's like you're pinching the bar for dear life cause the BB is at your finger tips. Seriously though, I've used my share of traditional long/short wraps and various hooks and NOTHING grips like the Versa.

Raw gripping for reps is a different beast then raw gripping for singles.
When i go for a max which was not my intention last night I will try one of the other warm ups from in here and see where I end up. Probably start with 5 minutes on eliptical for a general warm up, and then a few leg press, then the quick 3 at 225, and 1 at 315 then go for 445 and see if I can pull it while still fresh. Grip was already wearing on those. I did a double over hand grip all the way up through 315 and then switched to over under at 365.

Does that sound sufficient to warm up to you all?

I think I may have to try to get a belt before then. I am all about daily lifting without one but when trying to max. Might as well take precautions.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
When i go for a max which was not my intention last night I will try one of the other warm ups from in here and see where I end up. Probably start with 5 minutes on eliptical for a general warm up, and then a few leg press, then the quick 3 at 225, and 1 at 315 then go for 445 and see if I can pull it while still fresh. Grip was already wearing on those. I did a double over hand grip all the way up through 315 and then switched to over under at 365.

Does that sound sufficient to warm up to you all?

I think I may have to try to get a belt before then. I am all about daily lifting without one but when trying to max. Might as well take precautions.
Personally, I would take 225 into more reps, maybe 8 and then 5 at 315. With dead lifts (and squats for that matter), it doesn't take much to get the blood flowing and get warm because its such a compound lift, but what does not warm up as fast as your temperature seems to, are how many motor units your active muscles are recruiting.

As much as warming up for the bench for instance, is about prepping the shoulder stability, the joints involved, getting some blood flow to tighten up the muscle along with the O2 feed, the real culprit of warming up is getting your body to recruit more & more motor units as you progress.

The warmer you are the better. The statement is true within itself when we're talking about the previously mentioned, blood flow, oxygen circulation, joints & stablizers, but what's going to determine your level of strength, is how many motor units you've recruited along the way. During a moderate warm up such as 315, pushing it to that 4th-5th rep where you're quasi-struggling is when your body will start to signal the recruitment of additional motor units. Motor units respond to stress and though 315 for a single might be enough to send blood down your traps, lumbar, glutes & hams, if it's a relatively easy lift, it won't do much to maximally recruit motor units.

Have you ever had a workout where you're suddenly at your strongest point mid-workout? In those instances, you most likely never properly warmed up enough to maximally recruit your motor units. I can't quantify an exact/perfect warm up, but you do want it to be moderately difficult. I get staying fresh for a max pull, but there's a thin line between staying fresh and inadequately recruiting the maximal amount of motor units. If you're able to hit 445 for a few, then hitting 315 for a few more reps won't exhaust you that detrimentally.

Last edited:
thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
^^^^^^^

:goodpost:

Brother Samuel, thou art ever the very fountain of lifting knowledge. Tis a pleasure to e-know you.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ok so today was decent. 455 for an easy 1 and 405 for 4 reps. All weighing 202

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
190 weight
38 years old
5'-10"

405 x 1 DL

2.13 ratio

on cycle- sust, normal supplements as well.

raw grip, no belt

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
Ok I usually do straight leg dl but I did my best at regular for this.
No belt or straps. ..
5'11" 24 years old. 186 lbs 425 x 1
Deads are not my strongest lift but I do respect them.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just throwing this out there because I can. I have done 645 without a belt :D

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well my legs were still shot from leg day so hopefully friday Night I can try to max out....