What is your biggest problem area when it comes to training?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The title says it all! It can be anything: Overall Nutrition, lack of time, improper form, meathead syndrome (using to much weight), spending to much money (I've done that), etc......

I want to get an idea what people's biggest concerns are.

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
diet is my biggest problem. I tend to add a lot of fat while bulking, and lose to much muscle while cutting, its a viscious cycle. =\

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
That can be stopped. But this is a common mistake.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I would have to agree...Staying lean when bulking, keeping muscle when dieting. Everybody's body is different, but I tend to have very small room for error between the two.

This is also an expensive habit! Food, supps, etc.

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
Designing diet plans that are laid out for bulking, maintenance, and cutting. Listing each meal and what their nutritional values are.

Also, finding what works best for me. As in which training program to follow and when to implement it.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
1. Meathead syndrome. I can't help myself when I see a hot chick so I lift heavy.
2. Cutting is a bitch for me, I need to stay disciplined with my plan but I eat lots of junk food due to social circumstances.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
Spending too much money is definately a bad one for me. When I caught wind of the upcoming prohormone ban, I spent close to 1000 bucks on a stockpile of various ph's in the first month and I'm still spending more when I see great reviews for other **** I haven't tried yet. And to make it worse, Sldge keeps lowering his prices. Goddamn you, Matt. :D

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Overall I'd say dietary discipline. Right now its lack of gym time..and no I can't rearrange my schedule, I'm just not in town enough.

I'm a supplement junkie. Have to budget myself each month as I like to experiment with new goodies. Beats experimenting with drugs ..or does it?

Need a wee bit more training discipline. Tend to neglect abs and cardio but overall I stay fairly proportional..at least until I post pics someday and am eaten alive, lol.

ruffneck

ruffneck

Awards
I'd say working legs. I ruptured a disk at T12-L1 when I was 18, then C5-C6-C7 last year. Had to have a three inch plate put in. I can't handle the pressure on my neck now and doing the sled irrates my lower back. I have to decide to do legs and not be able to get out of bed(with out being doped up) for 2-3days or just dont do any heavy training.

If you were wondering how I did that to my neck, it was the meathead mentality. I was doing the 110lbs dumbells on seated over head press. I didn't lose form. Doc said that I was probably out of line and the pressure from lifting that much weight pulled the disk to one side causing a herniation onto a nerve. Worst pain you can imagine. Couldn't turn my head. Couldn't sit upright. No possible way to get comfortable.

surferdude26

Awards
Being fat-a-phobic. I can't seem to bulk to a good size before I start thinking to myself "****, im just gettin fat", so i start cutting again ending up where I started.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
So would most of you agree that the main concern is either diet related or can be fixed with dietary adjestments?

sifu

Banned
Awards
  • Established
For me it is overtraining. With running a school and weight training I have to balance a fine line.

intv

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Not enough sleep. I feel like my recovery and lean gains would be better over the long haul if I got 7-8 hours a night instead of the 5-6 I routinely get.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
intv have you looked into some supplementaition for helping this? If you don't get enough there some products that might help the amount you get more productive.

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
getting too fat, then too small, tired of this ****

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Being fat-a-phobic. I can't seem to bulk to a good size before I start thinking to myself "****, im just gettin fat", so i start cutting again ending up where I started.
Take many pictures. The problem is you look at yourself everyday and its really tough to assess actual change apart from what "think" is changing.

Ivan Drago

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Keeping my diet on track on the weekends. I just don't eat enough good foods (or food in general) and when I do get calories, I rely too much on shakes.

During the week it's good because I'm at work and have a set schedule where it's close to the same day in and day out. On the weekends, I work at nights at a bar, and I sleep in late, so my eating schedule is all out of whack.

In terms of actual training, changing my routine. I seem to get one routine, and stick with it for too long, even when I'm not seeing gains. I am slowly learning to be more open minded in terms of routines, and when something stops working, change it up.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
getting too fat, then too small, tired of this ****
Classic. This is often a problem with those who use enhaning agents to as their mindset tends to think they can get results in a quick amount of time.

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
Classic. This is often a problem with those who use enhaning agents to as their mindset tends to think they can get results in a quick amount of time.
I take all the time in the world, never rush. Cut for 7 months, go as slowly as possible, still end up losing too much size IMO. When I bulk, I only go about BWX18, 40/40/20, bery few cheats, still get too fat. Like I said, getting tired of this ****.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Keeping my diet on track on the weekends. I just don't eat enough good foods (or food in general) and when I do get calories, I rely too much on shakes.

This can be helped by adjusting your training schedule (depeding on goals of course) to allow for those weekend slip ups. Its basically designing a program based on hormonal responses so that those excess calories do the least amount of damage.

goldylight

***** Vampire
Awards
  • Established
Weekends is def. where i mess up too. being home with the wife and kids does not make dieting easy - wether it be bulk or cut.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I take all the time in the world, never rush. Cut for 7 months, go as slowly as possible, still end up losing too much size IMO. When I bulk, I only go about BWX18, 40/40/20, bery few cheats, still get too fat. Like I said, getting tired of this ****.
Yes but I know for a fact your not happy in many of those seven months and eventually its gets to the point your frustrated and say "the hell with it". Cutting should never last for 7 months (there is difference between cutting and dieting).

db682

Awards
  • Established
My biggest problems are sleeping and getting enough food in my body during the week. I have a tendency to stay up way to late and then wake up 4-5 hours later for work. I have been trying to take advantage of my time and nap as much as possible but my female counterpart gets pissed when I nap cause she thinks it is why I stay up to late. Then with food, I lose track of time throughout the day and sometimes just cram **** down whenever I can. For the most part its healthy **** but I like a good chalupa or cheeseburger once every blue moon.

db

Or theres always,
d. All of the above

zeromagnus

Board Supporter
Awards
nutrition...hard to intake enough calories/protein...hard to eat clean during a cut...hard to cut period, as my supply of food (college cafeteria) is 99.999% carbs

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
I can say that I've finally tweaked my diet to work for me and followed it, as well as training for the most part. Besides that:

1. lack of sleep (hard to "fix" unless I consider unemployment and quitting college) :D
2. skipping cardio (would do it in the morning but this involves #1) ;)

So basically time management for me. IMO the 2 biggest problems for most trainees are diet and time management (i.e. prioritizing according to need, etc.).

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
I'd say diet is a main issue. Cutting is hard, period. And eating clean foods can be expensive. Buying in bulk is important at the grocery store but it's still a pain in the ass. Also after my stressful week at work I just wanna go out and get hammered to unwind so it sets me me back a little. It also effects the recovery time of the muscles worked on friday so it's a double slap. Extra calories and longer recovery. Damn but I need a nice cold yuengling lager or 15. :D

Carpe Diem

Awards
trainning chest and shoulders. these are my weak points. when I train back I really enjoy it, because I can move some respectable wieght, when I am doing chest I don't put as intencity into it, nor do I fallow a decent chest and should plan. I also have a hard time eating good. I is hard for me to eat every 2-3 hours. too often is the case that I grab some romen noodles instead of chicken and rice or that kind of thing.

goldylight

***** Vampire
Awards
  • Established
when I am doing chest I don't put as intencity into it, nor do I fallow a decent chest and should plan. I also have a hard time eating good. I is hard for me to eat every 2-3 hours. too often is the case that I grab some romen noodles instead of chicken and rice or that kind of thing.
Well there is your problem - focus danielson and gains will come. but really - try changing up your chest routine. switch ramen noodles for microwave packs of oatmeal.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
So would most of you agree that the main concern is either diet related or can be fixed with dietary adjestments?

*Eating last bit of deep fried fish burrito after fasting most of the morning*

Hmmm, maybe. :rolleyes:

size

Awards
  • Established
My 2 major problems:
1. Training alone so pushing to limits can be difficult.
2. Getting stuck in between wanting to gain more muscle/size and wanting to get leaner.

candle25

candle25

Awards
  • Established
My diet is so fine tuned that people think I'm crazy...lol. I'd have to say my problem area is sleeping right. I normaly get 7-8 hrs but sometimes I get as little as 2 hrs. That is easy enough to fix though. I just have to get in bed....to sleep that is. ;)

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
My 2 major problems:
2. Getting stuck in between wanting to gain more muscle/size and wanting to get leaner.
That goes for me as well.

goldylight

***** Vampire
Awards
  • Established
number one on your list size is a big factor for me too. Especially since there is no hammer equipment at my gym......

Tahq

Awards
My problems occur on the 'ends' of my bulk/cuting programs. Towards the end of my bulking period I tend to slow down gains of LBM and add a higher lb portions of fat. When I'm at the end of my cutting period I lose LBM at an increased pace as I hit around 8% and cutting to lower percentages takes a heavier toll.

I probably need a good diet 'tweak' as I hit these limits, but I tend to follow what got me to that point.

I also will probably never get the proper levels of sleep as I tend to only run about 5-6 hours a night...but I consider it the less evil as opposed to diet and training issues.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I probably need a good diet 'tweak' as I hit these limits, but I tend to follow what got me to that point.

Thats probably your problem. You'd be amazed at what a small adjustment can do.

Jeff

Awards
  • Established
My 2 major problems:
This goes for me as well. My diet can kind of suck at times too, I have been having pretty good luck with ckd fo the past year, but right now I am tired of it and just trying to watch what I shove in the gullet. Protein/carb or Protein/fat never carb/fat. Hopefully I can keep the fat off that I lost. My sleep is the worst, I have a kollicy (sp?) 1 year old that is letting me get about 4 to 5 hours at night, I find that melatonin helps me get to sleep but its the staying asleep thats not happening.

I have given up trying to train with other people, I tried a couple of weeks of dogg crapp with a coworker over the winter, they guy wanted to change the routine up every damn workout. Could never get into a groove with it.

I really need professional clown lifting/diet/training help ;)

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
It'd be nice if one could clone oneself so you could always have a WO partner who's always on the same page.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would kill my training partner then. He's would be an asshole. :D

michaelton

Board Supporter
Awards
1. Diet. I've got the bulking thing down, cutting OTOH...
2. Rest/recovery. What can you do other than the best you can?
3. Training partner. Back in the day I used to train with my brother, and that was about as good as it got. Just wish I hadn't wasted those days with a shitty ass volume routine and subpar diet. But now he's in Southern California and I, am not.
4. Strength gains. I'm honestly not satisfied in that regard, but I guess any gains are good gains.

I too am looking forward to this Clown Posse. :)

x_muscle

Awards
  • Established
diet is my #1 weakness.

i cant maintain good diet for bulking or cutting. i simply consume alot of carbs.

db682

Awards
  • Established
It'd be nice if one could clone oneself so you could always have a WO partner who's always on the same page.
I honestly think my Workout partner is the reason Ive grown so much in the last year and a half. We both push each other so freakin hard its unbelievable. We are constintly teaching each other new **** and improving our workouts greatly. He's a certified personal trainer and knows his **** but he is amazed at some of the stuff I tell him that I learn off this site. Im trying to get him to sign up here but he's also a teacher, head coach for his high school soccer team and assisint coach for his football team so he's just as straped for time as I am.

It is a great thing to have someone as dedicated to something as you are if you two are working together at it. We have definitly become great friends.

db

200wannabe

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
This can be helped by adjusting your training schedule (depeding on goals of course) to allow for those weekend slip ups. Its basically designing a program based on hormonal responses so that those excess calories do the least amount of damage.
Bump for more info on this...

Billy the kid

Board Supporter
Awards
My diet is screwed up!
I cant lose the last little bit of midsection for some reason.

Its probably like three puonds i am trying to lose, but i get down so far and then my fatloss comes to a screeching halt. I get tired of getting smaller and start to get fat again?:(

Same ol same ol.

Billy the kid

Board Supporter
Awards
I think he means, you can schedule your most intense sessions on the days you eat the most, make better use of the extra calories.

Makes sense to me.

Last edited:

kmac6225

king of useless information!!!
Awards
  • Established
I'd definately say diet. I lose weight like its going out of style if I don't get at least 3000 cals a day, so if I get a little lazy with my diet for a couple days here and there all my hard work to gain those pounds goes out the window. Unfortunately, I have my fair share of those lazy days with my diet

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Different types of training induce different type of stimuli and if you time it right you can bascially eliminate the damage a day of splurging can cause and actually make use of those calories WHILE still burning fat. Now this doesn't mean you can go eat 3 pizzas and get away with it. You still have to have some discipline but your options of what to eat increase drastically.

phatbody

Awards
Diet and training alone.

I'm single so I have to make all my food. I tend to drift to the quick and lazy foods. Pasta is so quick and easy to make and I can freeze a lot of it. But, it's pasta. ...and Chipotle is Chipotle.

I train alone so I have to limit myself sometimes. This can be a draw back. I'm sure there are training principles that maximize the lone workout method, but I haven't really found them yet.

Alt+F4

Back in the gym after 6 months of being a *****
Awards
My problem is that I feel like I don't know enough about my diet to make good decisions on a daily basis. Like all winter I felt like I was bulking right, until I started to realize that I was getting really fat. Then I got an overhaul from SC and bobo and others, and still two months later this gut isn't coming close to going away. I train hard, I'm very good at sticking to my diet, it's just that I guess I don't design them very good to begin with. I take a look at my training partner and some other friends of mine and they eat pizza and fried foods and drink beer and all that ****. Here I am with my tuna and protein shakes and whatnot, and they look better. Sometimes it just gets very frustrating. I feel lost, and I feel like all the work I do goes to waste, but I just don't really know how. Like I can't figure out what I'm doing so wrong, I look like someone who's never exercised in their life. Sorry for the rambling, I'm in a 'feel sorry for yourself' mood.