What is your biggest problem area when it comes to training?

size

Awards
  • Established
I take a look at my training partner and some other friends of mine and they eat pizza and fried foods and drink beer and all that ****. Here I am with my tuna and protein shakes and whatnot, and they look better. Sometimes it just gets very frustrating. I feel lost, and I feel like all the work I do goes to waste, but I just don't really know how. Like I can't figure out what I'm doing so wrong, I look like someone who's never exercised in their life. Sorry for the rambling, I'm in a 'feel sorry for yourself' mood.
Do not get down on yourself. The fact of life is that some people just have better genetics and are capable of training and eating poorly and still make gains (unfortunately, I am not one of them).

You need to stay positive and dedicated.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
My problem is that I feel like I don't know enough about my diet to make good decisions on a daily basis. Like all winter I felt like I was bulking right, until I started to realize that I was getting really fat. Then I got an overhaul from SC and bobo and others, and still two months later this gut isn't coming close to going away. I train hard, I'm very good at sticking to my diet, it's just that I guess I don't design them very good to begin with. I take a look at my training partner and some other friends of mine and they eat pizza and fried foods and drink beer and all that ****. Here I am with my tuna and protein shakes and whatnot, and they look better. Sometimes it just gets very frustrating. I feel lost, and I feel like all the work I do goes to waste, but I just don't really know how. Like I can't figure out what I'm doing so wrong, I look like someone who's never exercised in their life. Sorry for the rambling, I'm in a 'feel sorry for yourself' mood.
In the end, you will prevail, I PROMISE! As your friends get older, they will see that they can't get away with what they used to, and they'll come begging you with questions. Keep working hard and ask questions in the Nutrition section. You will find that as you continue to tinker with your diet, you will learn more about how different things work with YOUR BODY.

Bennett

Awards
My only problem is beer.I've got it now to where I only drink twice a month,but on those two nights I get slammed.I know it's hurting my gains a little,but it's a trade off.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Like I can't figure out what I'm doing so wrong, I look like someone who's never exercised in their life. Sorry for the rambling, I'm in a 'feel sorry for yourself' mood.

THis is why you need to find what works for you. I understand it is VERY frustrating and I understand because it took me years to find out what I respond to the best. The problem is you see positive results will all methods then usually hit a wall. That doesn't mean you've failed, it just means you have to adjust and find what works for you at those conditions. Going from 18%-12% is easy, but going from 12%-6% is not and this is where most people fail. There is an answer though and you will find it. If you need my help you know where I am and I guarantee I will do everything I can to get you results. There are so many variables to take into account. It might be something as easy as fat intake, or one more cardio session, or in most cases, one less and adding some more calories. Yes I know it seems absurb but it happens and happens a lot. Don't worry though we will get you where you want to be.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
In the end, you will prevail, I PROMISE! As your friends get older, they will see that they can't get away with what they used to, and they'll come begging you with questions. Keep working hard and ask questions in the Nutrition section. You will find that as you continue to tinker with your diet, you will learn more about how different things work with YOUR BODY.
Good advice.

kelsey

Awards
  • Established
my problems are all of the above but the one that i HATE the most is my diet is the hardest damn thing to stick to, i have the body type that i can eat like a freakin pig and kill it in the gym and get really big and strong but when it i go to cut my arms shrink and i get smaller, i take core training more seriously then the next guy, so my abs are huge and in really good shape but, they have a 1 1/2 of protective coating over them, i would hate them to get cold, sum of a b....

Kristopher

Kristopher

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
lack of workout partner/intensity.. its hard to get fired up sometimes.

Lack of results (immediate) is sometimes disenheartening, but then i think about how far ive come and i feel better :D

unfknblvbl89

Board Supporter
Awards
1. Diet

2. Dedication to diet

3. Switching it up in the gym. My idea of switching it up is to change the rep scheme and not the lifts. When I change the lifts I don't feel satisfied with the routine and go back to the old

Pfunk47

Pfunk47

Pop-Lock champion of 84'
Awards
  • Established
THis is why you need to find what works for you. I understand it is VERY frustrating and I understand because it took me years to find out what I respond to the best. The problem is you see positive results will all methods then usually hit a wall. That doesn't mean you've failed, it just means you have to adjust and find what works for you at those conditions. Going from 18%-12% is easy, but going from 12%-6% is not and this is where most people fail. There is an answer though and you will find it. If you need my help you know where I am and I guarantee I will do everything I can to get you results. There are so many variables to take into account. It might be something as easy as fat intake, or one more cardio session, or in most cases, one less and adding some more calories. Yes I know it seems absurb but it happens and happens a lot. Don't worry though we will get you where you want to be.

- This is the exact problem I face and it's driving me crazy - Get to the 12% then the fat loss stops and the muscle loss begins - My impatience I know is a huge problem and I start trying to change my diet up a little and add probably too much cardio (along with trying tri-max without PH's - but I upped protein to 350-400 a day) - lost at least 5-6lbs muscle - but still have stomach fat (taking NYC for the past 10 weeks too) - looked a lot leaner at 235 then my current 225 (Looks like majority muscle loss).

chi_town

Keto Jedi / HomeBrew Advocate
Awards
I can say that I've finally tweaked my diet to work for me and followed it, as well as training for the most part. Besides that:

1. lack of sleep (hard to "fix" unless I consider unemployment and quitting college) :D
2. skipping cardio (would do it in the morning but this involves #1) ;)

So basically time management for me. IMO the 2 biggest problems for most trainees are diet and time management (i.e. prioritizing according to need, etc.).

Same here ! Sleep is always a problem during the week. Usually getting 6-6.5, when I really feel I need 7-7.5 hrs.

I go through cycles where getting my cardio in is like pulling freaking teeth. With Nice weather here now, I am getting alot of outside biking in, but at least twice a year...........I go through a cardio burnout.

Not sure if I agree with time management being the problem. Some would argue it's about priorities and or dedication and commitment. Maybe time management is a crutch many of us use as an excuse. Hmmmmmmm. Just a thought.

-- Chi

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
Not sure if I agree with time management being the problem. Some would argue it's about priorities and or dedication and commitment. Maybe time management is a crutch many of us use as an excuse. Hmmmmmmm. Just a thought.

-- Chi
Could be, guess that depends on the person. Right now I work M-F 9-5 then have night classes M-Th 6 - 9, so I get home around 10. Makes attempting to fit it all in a challenge regardless of how I choose to approach it, which lately is with the utmost dedication to diet, considering I have to make time to eat :D

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
I am with jweave
Motivation. Sometimes I look at how much weight I have gained and say f#$k!
I need to lose, but sometimes it's not there-the motivation. I could use all the excuses in the world -work sixteen hr shifts, grad school, 1 1/2 hr commute to school and work, both ways and GF is a junkfood eater (shes 22yrs so it doesn't show.) But me... :p But if I want it bad enough I will do it!! I almost always get half way where I want to be then slack, a cheat meal here, a cheat day there, then a cheat week and then I am totally off my diet.I WILL GET INTO SHAPE THIS SUMMER. end of rant

supersoldier

supersoldier

She thinks my traps'rrrr sexy!
Awards
  • Established
My biggest problem is injuries, and trying to train through them. Or letting the body part rest until it feels fine, then going to the gym and beating the **** out of it and starting all over on trying to let it rest again. Also I NEVER do cardio :(. I just don't like it. I always think it's gonna rob my strength gains, and everytime I go to the gym with intentions to do cardio I rack my brain trying to find a muscle that's not sore, and end up working that.

bert4332

Awards
The evil pantry

1)
I have 3 little girls and my wife has the pantry packed with Oreo's, Fig Nutons, Cereals and list goes on and on. I'm 38, so that **** sticks to me like glue. All you young college guys, trust me, get in the habit of eating well, because your metabolism will slow down. My willpower is fine on the weekdays, but the weekends it's tuff, I hear those crappy carbs calling my name behind that door. If she wouldn't buy it then I would be fine, but she just tells me to f*ch off, the stuff is for the kids.

2)
Sleep, I get up at 0445 four days a week and do 50 minutes of fat burn on the elliptical machine (HR @ 127bpm). Then I work for 10hrs, I get in the gym 3 days week in for weight training in the afternoon. At night, by the time we get the kids down to sleep, and I review what’s on this board, it's 2300hrs.

3)
Bobo hit the nail on the head, cutting the last 6% is like grades, you work your ass of for the 4.0 and then all it takes is one bad test and it's screwed. My last 6% is pure diet and I'm gonna need Bobo's help to get me there. Not sure what to do without losing too much LBM.

4)
Injury, my life story, hmmm, let's see, 3 back operations, 1 elbow, 1 knee, and my tendons on my elbows are shot to hell. 20 years of MMA fighting takes it's toll. My back is the main problem, doing dogcrap's routine is out of the question, lifting very heavy is not option, so I hope Bobo's got a solution for gain LBM without going heavy.

Lonny

Awards
My biggest problem is getting to the gym when im not on any stims/pre workout boosters.

The most enjoyable part of my workouts is usually the drive to the gym, getting into "The Zone". When i drop some EC, or Ritalin, or whatever im using, i know that 30 mins later i better get in the car and start driving.

If im bulking and not using anything, then i know i can just say "I'll leave in 10 mins" and then 10 becomes 20 and soon i just put it off till the next day.

Once im in the gym i feel great, and have all the energy in the world, but its that whole getting to the parking lot and walking through those doors that i have the problem with.

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
My main concern is drying out for competition.. I've tried carbbing up early, later, dropping water to 0 the day of, herbal assistance.. If I can get dry, my condition would be sick.. Did I mention how tiny my waist would look? :p

DobermanXXL

Awards
putting fat on only in the belly region.. and wanting to cut because of it, but I'm very lean everywhere else

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
Overtraining. Easy to fix.... but damn, i enjoy lifting too much. Dont follow me brothers :rolleyes:
Sage

Ivan Drago

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
My main concern is drying out for competition.. I've tried carbbing up early, later, dropping water to 0 the day of, herbal assistance.. If I can get dry, my condition would be sick.. Did I mention how tiny my waist would look? :p
Must be a bitch to have a waist that small. :D

You doing a local show Pete?

pestis

pestis

Awards
The title says it all! It can be anything: Overall Nutrition, lack of time, improper form, meathead syndrome (using to much weight), spending to much money (I've done that), etc......

I want to get an idea what people's biggest concerns are.
My biggest prob is not knowing what I should know, you follow? in other words, I feel like sometimes I spend to much time researching topics that are pointless or following a workout schedule that isnt optimum for reaching my goals just because I didnt know any better. I am a smart bro and a quick study. just think I could progress exponentially if I could work with someone who has already been were I am. let me know when you put something together.
hailz,
Pestis

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Will be starting Monday. I will post a thread this weekend explaining everything.

IronMike

Awards
Diet:

I have trouble with what to eat and what time to eat (scheduling meals around my day)

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I can solve that :D

Technics

Technics

Awards
my major problem in lifting is my back and biceps, they have been at about the same strength for a year now, probably because im not squatting and deadlifting but still i should be gaining strength with these exercises:
Lat Pulldowns ALL 3 to 4 sets
Seated Rows
DB Rows

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Its probably the WAY your exercising. You need to train (different type of hypertrophy)according to your goals and have a nutrition plan than corresponds to that training.

If your looking to increase stregnht you need to work on ratios and exercise that increase neural stimulation rather than pure hypertrophy.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do I give everything away?!?!!?!? :D

There isn't one exercise, its the way you exercise. Like I siad before I need to know what is goals are. Does he want size AND strength or just strength. Strength based workouts require less time under stress and less calories. They generally are more explosive and less time is spent on the negative. This can be done with any exericse so anyone saying that one exercise makes you stronger is mistaken. It just usually that compound exercises force you to do the exerice in a ratio that is condusive to strenght gains rather than pure hypertrophy.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Man I'm getting tired of editing my posts. I really need to improve my typing.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
Does this mean that a mass goal would be more time spent on the negative? Yes, I'm trying to pump you for info. I knew it was a crime but I did it anyway. :D

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hmm....I forget....

:D

Could be, but then your diet changes to.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
Do I give everything away?!?!!?!? :D

There isn't one exercise, its the way you exercise. Like I siad before I need to know what is goals are. Does he want size AND strength or just strength. Strength based workouts require less time under stress and less calories. They generally are more explosive and less time is spent on the negative. This can be done with any exericse so anyone saying that one exercise makes you stronger is mistaken. It just usually that compound exercises force you to do the exerice in a ratio that is condusive to strenght gains rather than pure hypertrophy.

Must .....find....dictionary.....

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
Hmm....I forget....

:D

Could be, but then your diet changes to.

Damn, you're vague. :D
Good way to reel the customer in though. I'm already sold but I wouldn't be worth your time right now. When Jan rolls around, I'm gonna be relying on you to make me into a monster. ;)

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Must .....find....dictionary.....
If you could see my eyes right now and how blooshot they are, you would understand my typos.

This is also proof that I type what is in my head. If I talked to you on the phone, I would talk the same way ;)

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Damn, you're vague. :D
Good way to reel the customer in though. I'm already sold but I wouldn't be worth your time right now. When Jan rolls around, I'm gonna be relying on you to make me into a monster. ;)
But the answer I gave is what he needs to do. Work on training that increases neural stimulation than hypertrophy. Explosive exercises with a short negative for pure strength. Its not one exercise, its the way you exercise.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
I read you man. I was just trying to get more info out of you regarding my goals. Figured I'd hijack the thread for little. ;)

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
My major problems now is staying out of the gym. I'm in the Army deployed at Kuwait in support of OIF. Its not hard to watch what I eat, and to eat often. We have a huge food selection and I can get food in to go boxes to have in between breakfast lunch and dinner. The gym here is also great. Much better equipment that my gyms in Germany, where I'm normally stationed. Plus theres several squat racks here. I used to bitch nonstop about having to wait for that one squat rack at the gym in Germany. For some reason, the army's gyms in Germany can afford literally 60 pieces of cardio equipment and 8 benches, but only one squat rack :).

Its great for training down here tho. When I got here six months ago I was about 260 with about 18% BF and now I'm 250 with about 11 or 12% BF. I haven't actually measured the bodyfat, but its a guess. I can see 4 out of my 6 abs, and I heard at 10% you can see all of them. I haven't even cardioed most of the time I was here. I guess being outside in 125 degree weather every day will cut you up :). I limited myself to 4 days a week lifting in the gym...I seriously overtrained when I first got here. I was like a kid in a candystore, working out every day. Not much else to do around here.

chasec

Pityin' fools since '81
Awards
  • Established
i think my biggest problem is psychological. i'll do a bulk period for 1-2 months, and about halfway through i feel that i'm getting too fat, so i switch gears halfway through and eradicate the gained bf AND the muscle that i gained during that time period. same with a cutter, when the shirt sleeves aren't as tight as they used to be i panic and visit sledge's little shop of wonders :cool:

right now is a perfect example i'm winding up the usual cutting cycle for the summer 6-pack, but my weight dipped dangerously close to going under 200, so i panicked and ordered bottles of m4ohn, justifying to myself that "the ban is near, might as well.... it'll help with cutting anyways."

HobbesAB

Board Supporter
Awards
I work the night shift (8:00PM to 8:00AM) on M/Tu/W/ and every other Su. After work, I go home and watch my 2 girls. I get about 3.5-4.5 hours of sleep (broken up) and then I go back into work. I try to stay with a normal M/W/F split since I have zero free time on the week-ends. In a few weeks, I switch ends of the week and will be doing Th/F/Sa and every other Su. I'm looking forward to this since my wife will be home on week-ends and I can actually get some real sleep. Lack of sleep is hurting my recovery. Its not really affecting my workouts since I can easily motivate myself to hit the weights (home gym).

So, to get to the point, my problem area is rest. I've dropped 50 lbs and kept it off since last late July. I'm frustrated because I've been keeping my calories in check, diet clean, and committed to training but I believe I've plateaued because of the lack of rest. Not much I can do right now but continue to push through. As mentioned before, I'm hoping that getting back on week-ends will help me push past this since I'll be able to get 6-7 hours of sleep.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
My major problems now is staying out of the gym. I'm in the Army deployed at Kuwait in support of OIF. Its not hard to watch what I eat, and to eat often. We have a huge food selection and I can get food in to go boxes to have in between breakfast lunch and dinner. The gym here is also great. Much better equipment that my gyms in Germany, where I'm normally stationed. Plus theres several squat racks here. I used to bitch nonstop about having to wait for that one squat rack at the gym in Germany. For some reason, the army's gyms in Germany can afford literally 60 pieces of cardio equipment and 8 benches, but only one squat rack :).

Its great for training down here tho. When I got here six months ago I was about 260 with about 18% BF and now I'm 250 with about 11 or 12% BF. I haven't actually measured the bodyfat, but its a guess. I can see 4 out of my 6 abs, and I heard at 10% you can see all of them. I haven't even cardioed most of the time I was here. I guess being outside in 125 degree weather every day will cut you up :). I limited myself to 4 days a week lifting in the gym...I seriously overtrained when I first got here. I was like a kid in a candystore, working out every day. Not much else to do around here.
What base you at man? I was at Al Jaber AFB for a few months and their gym kicked ass.

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
What base you at man? I was at Al Jaber AFB for a few months and their gym kicked ass.
I'm at Camp Arifjan. I love our gym here. Working out in tents is fricking cool!

Wheres Al Jaber? I know every Air Force base I've been to has great gyms. They like taking care of their personnel or something:). Are you in the Air Force?

hiphop

Awards
my biggest problem is my diet i would say, i work in retail and its almost impossible to eat a full meal to prevent catabolism and get all those calories in while still maintaing the shop floor and customers etc.

I mean i have had instances where the shop has been quiet and i have run to the toilet but instead stopped off at the staff room and stuff myself in 5 mins brown bread going everywhere, bits of chicken going all over the place with peanut butter all down me its a nightmare, so i think that is my biggest problem along with the loosing too much muscle while cutting which is another horrible situation im in.

d2Lw

Awards
Problem:
1. will power to kick my ass to go to gym ED or EOD
2. sticking on my diet given my incredible appetite
3. finding the time to fit "gym" in my schedule

Aeternitatis

Aeternitatis

Awards
  • Established
My biggest problem:

I do everything right and still wake up at freakin 3am everyday. I haven't worked out for over a week cause I can hardly function. If it wasn't for these sleep problems I know I would have about 15 extra pounds of lean mass on me.