Anybody use the BHB from Nutraplanet?

johnnyp

johnnyp

Awards
  • Established
Really wanna give it a go since it's by far the most inexpensive option I've seen but I'm not sure how legit it is. Anybody have experience with it?

Sniper9191

Sniper9191

Awards
I bought some for the same reason you mentioned and it is bad ass!
I was skeptical as well to. I have only used it twice and save it for big occasions for myself. I am doing Keto myself.

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So this is like an energy booster before you workout?

deanX

Awards
Seems a good one to try. Seen few good reviews about BHB.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I have not but from the above it sounds positive.

vujade

vujade

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So this is like an energy booster before you workout?
No, its beta hydroxy butyrate. it is essential for helping the body use fat for fuel.
It helps your body get into ketosis. Which helps burns fat

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
If I may make a clarification: These Ketone Salts definitely are a rapid, preferred energy source when consumed... and may help in the *transition* from a Carb to Keto adapted state (preventing Lethargy, "Keto Flu", etc...) - But they do nothing to "get you into Ketosis". Your body needs to be depleted of most of it's Glucose/Glycogen before it starts preferentially breaking down fat to produce Ketones. If you think about it, these salts could actually *increase* the amount of time it takes to "get into Ketosis" in the beginning - anytime you are consuming them, you are not burning off Glucose/Glycogen. The marketing of these things needs to change - it's sooooo bad (inaccurate).

ironkill

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I dont have any experience or any real knowledge on these salts. Are they only useful when in a keto state or can they be ergogenic for those not in such a state?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Personally when in a very low carb stage on my dietary intake I have found them to help
- Energy
- Endurance
- performance
1Fast400 told me to take 12g prior to working out (mix of Potassium/Magensium/Calcium/Sodium)

Here is some more info:

Potassium/Magensium/Calcium/Sodium. The mineral load can get quite heavy as 20% of the active is minerals. A 10g dose of BHB will yield 8g of active, meaning you have 2g of minerals. You can see where this can become a potential issue for some. Mike will have performance data coming mid summer on it with athletes. . A 10-12g dose of BHB will create a ketone blood reading of roughly 1.0. Use a 10% rule when calculating. There are a LOT more questions than answers.

Mike is going to run studies over the summer to find out. In a low carb athlete, I have no doubts it would improve endurance, time to exhaustion. We don't know in a carb based athlete, what would happen. Having an alternate fuel source, could increase stamina for sure. It's a temporary bump, 3h. You're not going to cut on some fat burning mechanism and see magical impacts. Most using BHB are under dosing it like hell. . There is existing human data on it and it's pretty awesome. Right now, I think BHB's best use is in people going keto and wanting to limit sides of keto flu the first week, low carb athletes and mid day appetite suppression drink. There are far more questions than answers at this point.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I have a bag I got, still haven't used it. I plan on running it pre and intra workout for a 2-3 week keto run.

Sniper9191

Sniper9191

Awards
If I may make a clarification: These Ketone Salts definitely are a rapid, preferred energy source when consumed... and may help in the *transition* from a Carb to Keto adapted state (preventing Lethargy, "Keto Flu", etc...) - But they do nothing to "get you into Ketosis". Your body needs to be depleted of most of it's Glucose/Glycogen before it starts preferentially breaking down fat to produce Ketones. If you think about it, these salts could actually *increase* the amount of time it takes to "get into Ketosis" in the beginning - anytime you are consuming them, you are not burning off Glucose/Glycogen. The marketing of these things needs to change - it's sooooo bad (inaccurate).
This is why I use them sparingly. Well said

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Maybe I've heard from different sources than you, but from what I've understood is that they provide energy for those who are using a keto diet. I have seen some stuff about dropping you into keto, but I never saw that as the main purpose. I have seen some products that use it pre and intra workout to give energy. That's what I'm planning on doing to use it. I've also heard that even if you not in keto it can be beneficial during training, but I personally would rather stick to my rapid carb sources.

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Maybe I've heard from different sources than you, but from what I've understood is that they provide energy for those who are using a keto diet. I have seen some stuff about dropping you into keto, but I never saw that as the main purpose. I have seen some products that use it pre and intra workout to give energy. That's what I'm planning on doing to use it. I've also heard that even if you not in keto it can be beneficial during training, but I personally would rather stick to my rapid carb sources.
What rapid carbs do you use.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I can't say that I've heard or read all media about them, but as an example, the KetoCaNa ad on SHR says "gets you into ketosis...". Carl has also bitched about a lot of the ads intimating " ketosis" for the product. I'd buy from the companies that know what they can, and can not, do

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This stuff is like 60 bucks avg on amazon.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I can't say that I've heard or read all media about them, but as an example, the KetoCaNa ad on SHR says "gets you into ketosis...". Carl has also bitched about a lot of the ads intimating " ketosis" for the product. I'd buy from the companies that know what they can, and can not, do
I hear you man. I'm not really sure. I used keto induce from evomuse and it never put me into ketosis using the sticks like others were doing. I just got a bag of bhb off nutraplanet for 30 bucks. So we'll see what happens whenever I use it

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I used evomuse keto induce and had some great weight loss without any sides or any issues with lethargy. I would give these a shot.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I hear you man. I'm not really sure. I used keto induce from evomuse and it never put me into ketosis using the sticks like others were doing. I just got a bag of bhb off nutraplanet for 30 bucks. So we'll see what happens whenever I use it
Yea, my only gripe are the claims of ketosis - ketones are a great energy source. You really need a blood ketone meter to do *actual* ketogenic diets right (assuming your idea of "right" corresponds to Phinney and Volek's "at least 0.5mmol of BhB in blood") - the Stix are useless IMO, and have most people doing just "low carb" when they think they are keto - especially if they are maintaining their 1g/lb protein intake.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yea, my only gripe are the claims of ketosis - ketones are a great energy source. You really need a blood ketone meter to do *actual* ketogenic diets right (assuming your idea of "right" corresponds to Phinney and Volek's "at least 0.5mmol of BhB in blood") - the Stix are useless IMO, and have most people doing just "low carb" when they think they are keto - especially if they are maintaining their 1g/lb protein intake.
Very true. When I do it I mostly do a classic steak and egg diet, but will add in some protein powder to put me around 3-350grams of protein daily. If I were to guess my fats would be around 150. So I'd say it's more than possible for gluconeogenesis, but I'm too stuck in my ways to drop my protein any lower. I will say that I'm basically zero carb, I don't really do the whole subtract the fiber from the carbs thing or consume things with trace carbs, only the protein powder. Alot of steak, butter, coconut oil, eggs etc