Adaptogens?

Page 3 of 8 First 12345 ... Last

  1. Quote Originally Posted by klind14 View Post
    Well, I definitely need something to help keep me from feeling exhausted all day at work from too little sleep. It seems like Rhodiola would be best for that. However, I worry about the tolerance I keep hearing about if it's taken too long (not sure if that would be an issue though if I keep the dosage low). Second I need something to help anxiety. I've read that Bacopa and Ashwagandha can both help with that but I'm not sure which is better for anxiety (especially on a longterm basis).
    Rhodiola and I recall American ginseng (panax quinquefoliumas) well if you're lacking in energy, but if your underlying issue is simply not getting enough sleep, these things will only help prolong the period you have before you crash. Ashwagandha has a calming effect so if you especially take it before bed, it tends to get more quality sleep out of the sleep you are getting but if you are going on long stints where you are getting very little sleep regularly, that's just eventually going to catch up to you.

    For anxiety in general, ashwagandha is good for that. Mind you, different ashwagandha extracts have different feels so you may also want to play with different ones to see which one fits your needs the best. Honestly though, I think Relora might be better for anxiety though it will take a few uses for the effects to settle in.

    How many hours of sleep are you getting? Do you give yourself enough time for sleep but just generally easily awoken/restless? If it's the latter, TBH, I would use some GABA, 5-HTP, and ashwagandha together.


  2. Quote Originally Posted by kissdadookie View Post
    Rhodiola and I recall American ginseng (panax quinquefoliumas) well if you're lacking in energy, but if your underlying issue is simply not getting enough sleep, these things will only help prolong the period you have before you crash. Ashwagandha has a calming effect so if you especially take it before bed, it tends to get more quality sleep out of the sleep you are getting but if you are going on long stints where you are getting very little sleep regularly, that's just eventually going to catch up to you.

    For anxiety in general, ashwagandha is good for that. Mind you, different ashwagandha extracts have different feels so you may also want to play with different ones to see which one fits your needs the best. Honestly though, I think Relora might be better for anxiety though it will take a few uses for the effects to settle in.

    How many hours of sleep are you getting? Do you give yourself enough time for sleep but just generally easily awoken/restless? If it's the latter, TBH, I would use some GABA, 5-HTP, and ashwagandha together.
    Thank you for the info. I'll definitely need to read up on American Ginseng and Relora since I'm not familiar with them. The lack of sleep the last six months or so has to do with my recently born son. He wakes multiple times each night and I'm a light sleeper (which isn't great for me but is for my wife because then I'm the one that gets up most of the time since I'm already awake from any noise he makes). So, until he starts getting into a more consistant sleep pattern, I'll be stuck with a shortened sleep schedule. I'm currently averaging around 5 or 6 hours each night.
    •   
       


  3. Quote Originally Posted by klind14 View Post
    Thank you for the info. I'll definitely need to read up on American Ginseng and Relora since I'm not familiar with them. The lack of sleep the last six months or so has to do with my recently born son. He wakes multiple times each night and I'm a light sleeper (which isn't great for me but is for my wife because then I'm the one that gets up most of the time since I'm already awake from any noise he makes). So, until he starts getting into a more consistant sleep pattern, I'll be stuck with a shortened sleep schedule. I'm currently averaging around 5 or 6 hours each night.
    Rhodiola will be good for that as well. I started taking it about 6 years ago when my first was born and it really helped with the lack of sleep and allowing the sleep I did get, to be more productive. I also added bocapa and ashwaganda, but the effects are very subtle.

    Aniracetam is fantastic for anxiety as it is an anxiolytic. It should be taken with a choline source and fatty foods. It isn't an adaptogen, but if you are traveling down this road, no reason you couldn't look into noots.

  4. Quote Originally Posted by klind14 View Post
    Thank you for the info. I'll definitely need to read up on American Ginseng and Relora since I'm not familiar with them. The lack of sleep the last six months or so has to do with my recently born son. He wakes multiple times each night and I'm a light sleeper (which isn't great for me but is for my wife because then I'm the one that gets up most of the time since I'm already awake from any noise he makes). So, until he starts getting into a more consistant sleep pattern, I'll be stuck with a shortened sleep schedule. I'm currently averaging around 5 or 6 hours each night.
    For you, I think ashwagandha + GABA + 5-HTP before bed (30-60 minutes before bed) will work well without making you feel like you've been drugged (so you would be able to get up to burp the newborn, change diapers, etc. and have an easier time falling back to sleep). I would start off easy with the ashwagandha (1.5% extracts I would use around 400-500 mg's, sensoril I would use 125 mg) to assess, GABA I would stick with 500 mg- 1 gram but start with 500 mg first, 5-HTP I would start off with 50 mg and no more than 100 mg to start. These supplements are pretty inexpensive and a bottle of each goes a long way. Personally I trust Jarrow, Solaray, and Life Extension.

    Something to consider: 5-HTP should be cycled IMO since it does affect serotonin a fair bit. Ashwagandha is pretty safe to take year round. GABA is pretty safe to take regularly but you do tend to build up tolerance to it.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by klind14 View Post
    Thank you for the info. I'll definitely need to read up on American Ginseng and Relora since I'm not familiar with them. The lack of sleep the last six months or so has to do with my recently born son. He wakes multiple times each night and I'm a light sleeper (which isn't great for me but is for my wife because then I'm the one that gets up most of the time since I'm already awake from any noise he makes). So, until he starts getting into a more consistant sleep pattern, I'll be stuck with a shortened sleep schedule. I'm currently averaging around 5 or 6 hours each night.
    Quote Originally Posted by kissdadookie View Post
    For you, I think ashwagandha + GABA + 5-HTP before bed (30-60 minutes before bed) will work well without making you feel like you've been drugged (so you would be able to get up to burp the newborn, change diapers, etc. and have an easier time falling back to sleep). I would start off easy with the ashwagandha (1.5% extracts I would use around 400-500 mg's, sensoril I would use 125 mg) to assess, GABA I would stick with 500 mg- 1 gram but start with 500 mg first, 5-HTP I would start off with 50 mg and no more than 100 mg to start. These supplements are pretty inexpensive and a bottle of each goes a long way. Personally I trust Jarrow, Solaray, and Life Extension.
    Power to Sleep-by Irwin Naturals you try kissadookie and my recommend let us know. BET you like Power to Sleep my bro
    "To your wife you should kiss try today"-Touey

    Brotato's bark brings shakes to the pups in the yard
    •   
       


  6. Quote Originally Posted by Touey View Post
    Power to Sleep-by Irwin Naturals you try kissadookie my recommend let us know. BET you like Power to Sleep my bro
    I might give it a try after my current ArA run and when it's time to cycle off 5-HTP I've always wanted to try some lemon balm

  7. Bacopa + Gotu Kola in the morning, Ashwagandha an hour or two before bed has been great for me. RR has been tough to pin down a dosage and the effects are too variable for my tastes.

    To fight fatigue, Korean/red ginseng has also been great.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by bioman View Post
    Bacopa + Gotu Kola in the morning, Ashwagandha an hour or two before bed has been great for me. RR has been tough to pin down a dosage and the effects are too variable for my tastes.

    To fight fatigue, Korean/red ginseng has also been great.
    Is there a good adaptogen all in one product out there. I liked ebol but way too pricey.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions | Online Representative
    Growth Factor XT-GROW! Need Cycle Support? Check out Liver XT.
    Follow SNS on Facebook for more promos!

  9. Gaia Stress Response is really good.

  10. There are lots of them. I got a free trial of Adapt 232..it's a European made supp. Nice energy, mood boost etc.

    Supplement Facts
    Serving Size: 2 capsules
    Servings Per Container: 3
    Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
    Adapt 232 Proprietary Blend
    Rhodiola rosea (root)
    Eleutherococcus senticosus (root)
    Schisandra chinensis (fruit) 1,750 mg †
    † Daily Value not established

  11. Quote Originally Posted by bioman View Post
    There are lots of them. I got a free trial of Adapt 232..it's a European made supp. Nice energy, mood boost etc.

    Supplement Facts
    Serving Size: 2 capsules
    Servings Per Container: 3
    Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
    Adapt 232 Proprietary Blend
    Rhodiola rosea (root)
    Eleutherococcus senticosus (root)
    Schisandra chinensis (fruit) 1,750 mg †
    † Daily Value not established

    All 3 of those are great adaptogens, but you need the extracts. These are just the raw roots and fruit, which at a paltry <2g is not going to do much of anything

  12. Quote Originally Posted by klind14 View Post
    Thank you for the info. I'll definitely need to read up on American Ginseng and Relora since I'm not familiar with them. The lack of sleep the last six months or so has to do with my recently born son. He wakes multiple times each night and I'm a light sleeper (which isn't great for me but is for my wife because then I'm the one that gets up most of the time since I'm already awake from any noise he makes). So, until he starts getting into a more consistant sleep pattern, I'll be stuck with a shortened sleep schedule. I'm currently averaging around 5 or 6 hours each night.

    FWIW I just got NOW ashwagandha, NOW relora, and ON Melatonin a few weeks ago. The combo of the three puts me out fast. I was trying to find something that would make me not need sleeping pills every night. I was on 25mg diphenhydramine (1 benedryl) per night, and 1mg estazolam 2-4 nights per week.

    I was just trying to get myself to need less of the diphenhydramine and estazolam, but to my surprise the combo of Ashwagandha, Relora, and Melatonin have completely replaced them. I take the Relora and Ashwagandha together 1-2 hours before bed, and then I take the Melatonin about 30 min before bed. The only caution is that the ON melatonin is a higher dose than some people need (3mg per pill). My first night on it, I had insanely vivid dreams (not bad dreams, just really screwed up) and it wasn't pleasant. Now, I take 1/3 or 1/2 or a pill and have better results.

    Best,
    Tyler

  13. Quote Originally Posted by kisaj View Post
    Rhodiola will be good for that as well. I started taking it about 6 years ago when my first was born and it really helped with the lack of sleep and allowing the sleep I did get, to be more productive. I also added bocapa and ashwaganda, but the effects are very subtle.

    Aniracetam is fantastic for anxiety as it is an anxiolytic. It should be taken with a choline source and fatty foods. It isn't an adaptogen, but if you are traveling down this road, no reason you couldn't look into noots.
    I actually started with nootropics (tried pretty much every racetam and choline source over the last few years). Had some success but so far it seems like adaptogens are working even better for me.

  14. Quote Originally Posted by kissdadookie View Post
    For you, I think ashwagandha + GABA + 5-HTP before bed (30-60 minutes before bed) will work well without making you feel like you've been drugged (so you would be able to get up to burp the newborn, change diapers, etc. and have an easier time falling back to sleep). I would start off easy with the ashwagandha (1.5% extracts I would use around 400-500 mg's, sensoril I would use 125 mg) to assess, GABA I would stick with 500 mg- 1 gram but start with 500 mg first, 5-HTP I would start off with 50 mg and no more than 100 mg to start. These supplements are pretty inexpensive and a bottle of each goes a long way. Personally I trust Jarrow, Solaray, and Life Extension.

    Something to consider: 5-HTP should be cycled IMO since it does affect serotonin a fair bit. Ashwagandha is pretty safe to take year round. GABA is pretty safe to take regularly but you do tend to build up tolerance to it.
    Do you know of a blend that contains most of those items? Theanine serene with relora looks pretty good (doesn't have 5-htp though).

  15. Quote Originally Posted by kisaj View Post
    Gaia Stress Response is really good.
    I really like the ingredients in gaia stress response (and have had great results with their rhodiola over the last few weeks) but was wondering if the dosage of everything except the rhodiola in that product was dosed high enough (or is there synergy between them such that the lower doses work well)?

  16. I've been taking Rhodiola for a week now and it may be the most effective supplement that I've ever taken in regards to stress/low energy levels. The first couple days it took a little getting used to the "stimulant" like effect after first taking it but then about an hour or so it levels out and you just feel good. I swear my mind hasn't felt this sharp since high school, and the anxiolytic effects are nice too. I have an extremely stressful job and this helps me to just cruise through my shifts without my mind getting all knotted up. Another weird effect is the energy boost, for instance I can be "tired" and yawning but at the same time feel like I could get up and accomplish anything.
    Remember why you started.

  17. Quote Originally Posted by klind14 View Post
    Do you know of a blend that contains most of those items? Theanine serene with relora looks pretty good (doesn't have 5-htp though).
    Abyss Unparalleled. You could get a bottle of GABA and use that with Abyss on nights you might need some extra help falling to sleep.

  18. Quote Originally Posted by kissdadookie View Post
    Abyss Unparalleled. You could get a bottle of GABA and use that with Abyss on nights you might need some extra help falling to sleep.
    It's a hit or miss product. I found it didn't really work for me. I was happier the next day, but it didn't really sedate me and the sleep wasn't all that good.

    Mass HGH on the other hand... HOLY CRAP! That's like someone just jizzed concentrated melatonin on your face!

  19. Quote Originally Posted by The Engineer View Post
    It's a hit or miss product. I found it didn't really work for me. I was happier the next day, but it didn't really sedate me and the sleep wasn't all that good.Mass HGH on the other hand... HOLY CRAP! That's like someone just jizzed concentrated melatonin on your face!
    That's why I suggested to get some extra GABA along with it for nights that one needs extra help falling to sleep.

  20. Quote Originally Posted by kissdadookie View Post
    That's why I suggested to get some extra GABA along with it for nights that one needs extra help falling to sleep.
    Ah, sorry dude. That's not a bad idea.

  21. Quote Originally Posted by kissdadookie View Post
    Abyss Unparalleled. You could get a bottle of GABA and use that with Abyss on nights you might need some extra help falling to sleep.
    Great looking product. Thank you for the suggestion.

  22. Quote Originally Posted by klind14 View Post
    I really like the ingredients in gaia stress response (and have had great results with their rhodiola over the last few weeks) but was wondering if the dosage of everything except the rhodiola in that product was dosed high enough (or is there synergy between them such that the lower doses work well)?
    Yes- GAIA is a top notch brand and everything they put out is good. It is the blend and the quality of the ingredients that make it work as well. There is a reason that their 240mg and ratio % is stronger than others at 500mg.

  23. Quote Originally Posted by kisaj View Post
    Yes- GAIA is a top notch brand and everything they put out is good. It is the blend and the quality of the ingredients that make it work as well. There is a reason that their 240mg and ratio % is stronger than others at 500mg.
    You're right. Even though their ratios seem a lot less than other brands, their quality must be better (basing this on how well their rhodiola rosea is working for me versus two unsuccessful attempts using the herb produced by other brands). In fact, it was a comment you previously made about them that got me to give it a third and final attempt (and for that, I owe you a big thank you). So, I'll give their stress response product a try after I run out of my current bottle of Rhodiola Rosea. That should work well for my daytime stress/anxiety and continue to help with my lack of sleep since it contains both Rhodiola Rosea and Ashwagandha (plus a few other herbs).

  24. Quote Originally Posted by The Engineer View Post
    Ah, sorry dude. That's not a bad idea.
    It's all good. LoL.

  25. Awesome! I really like that you can go online and pull the lab for your bottle to see the ingredient profile and testing done. It is a cool feature.

  26. Quote Originally Posted by The Engineer View Post
    Mass HGH on the other hand... HOLY CRAP! That's like someone just jizzed concentrated melatonin on your face!
    So, based on your description, apparently it is a transdermal???

  27. Quote Originally Posted by kisaj View Post
    Awesome! I really like that you can go online and pull the lab for your bottle to see the ingredient profile and testing done. It is a cool feature.
    Yeah, that is pretty cool. I immediately did that when I received the Rhodiola Rosea.

    Since the dosages are lower in the Gaia Stress Response (but with a higher quality), do you see tolerance eventually developing to the product? Or would it be something that should be safe and effective for long-term use (especially for those of us that are easily stressed out on a daily basis due to life and job obligations)?

  28. Cordeyceps are worth looking into.
    Online community manager/lead rep of Chaos and Pain,LLC and Fundamental Nutrition.Check us out!chaosandpain.com fnsupps.com Follow me on instagram:@pyrobatt

  29. Quote Originally Posted by klind14 View Post
    Yeah, that is pretty cool. I immediately did that when I received the Rhodiola Rosea.

    Since the dosages are lower in the Gaia Stress Response (but with a higher quality), do you see tolerance eventually developing to the product? Or would it be something that should be safe and effective for long-term use (especially for those of us that are easily stressed out on a daily basis due to life and job obligations)?
    Brotha, my life is freakishly stressful with my career and then obviously normal stress from young kids, family, bills, etc... I have a full mental system and routine that keeps me grounded- as well as the added supplements. With that being said, I can attest to the ability of several supplements to help me as part of the overall picture and have done so for many years. In short- yes the ingredient profile can help over the long term, but they are only part of trying to reduce stress and clear anxiety and mental fog.

    I will say that TRT is where I started- just for complete transparency.

  30. Quote Originally Posted by kisaj View Post
    Brotha, my life is freakishly stressful with my career and then obviously normal stress from young kids, family, bills, etc... I have a full mental system and routine that keeps me grounded- as well as the added supplements. With that being said, I can attest to the ability of several supplements to help me as part of the overall picture and have done so for many years. In short- yes the ingredient profile can help over the long term, but they are only part of trying to reduce stress and clear anxiety and mental fog.

    I will say that TRT is where I started- just for complete transparency.
    I understand they only play a part but I'm hoping they at least help get me started on developing a system and routine of my own. I'd like to thank everyone (but especially you and kissdadookie) for their help and input. I really appreciate it.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. mixing adaptogens, good or bad?
    By comacho in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-31-2008, 12:37 AM
  2. is this a safe mixture of adaptogens
    By andrew732 in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-25-2008, 01:49 AM
  3. Adaptogens
    By 4CraveEnergyD in forum Supplements
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-02-2008, 01:49 PM
  4. Adaptogen
    By Patriot in forum Get Diesel Nutrition
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-15-2007, 11:31 PM
Log in
Log in