Adaptogens?

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Cordeyceps are worth looking into.
Absolutely agreed, Ive had great results with some of the MST cordycep based products.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
AndroRage

AndroRage

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
For sure. Adaptogens and noots are near and dear to my heart, so I love to discuss them.

Good luck to you.
What dose do you guys run with for the Gaia Rhodiola? And do you run it every day or?

I'm looking at that but it is only 60 caps and it says 2 per say which may prove to be expensive...

Have you used Viridian maxi potency Rhodiola?

Many thanks

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I run Rhodiola everyday. I use all supplements as directed, so yes, two a day.

Shin

Shin

Awards
Rhodiola makes me feel good mentally with no burst of energy or increase in endurance though.

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
I just picked up some Gaia Rhodiola a week ago and had to stop taking it after a few days. It made me dizzy and heavy headed. I think I do better with lower Rosavins and higher Salidrosides for a more dopamine induced effect and less serotonin.

burpees

Banned
Awards
I just picked up some Gaia Rhodiola a week ago and had to stop taking it after a few days. It made me dizzy and heavy headed. I think I do better with lower Rosavins and higher Salidrosides for a more dopamine induced effect and less serotonin.
Crazy same thing happened to me

Felt like I was bout to get a vertigo attack lmao

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
Crazy same thing happened to me

Felt like I was bout to get a vertigo attack lmao
EXACTLY. I've been using Natural Factors brand and really like it.

burpees

Banned
Awards
EXACTLY. I've been using Natural Factors brand and really like it.
Thanks I'm going to try it my only other experience was iforce compete that has rhodiola In it and I never had a issue

Gaia herbs scared me away tho lol

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
They are very strong for the dose. How much did you take? If I take two at a time, I get the same way.

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
Thanks I'm going to try it my only other experience was iforce compete that has rhodiola In it and I never had a issue

Gaia herbs scared me away tho lol
All I've read about Gaia Herbs Rhodiola is positive, however it also goes to show that everyone's body chemistry is different and often reacts differently to the same things.

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
They are very strong for the dose. How much did you take? If I take two at a time, I get the same way.
It's like 240 or something and I was only taking one a day. I thought about opening the capsules but then I thought I'm not doing this crap everyday. The Natural Factors brand I take is only 150mgs I believe.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
All I've read about Gaia Herbs Rhodiola is positive, however it also goes to show that everyone's body chemistry is different and often reacts differently to the same things.
Yep, very much so- and especially with rhodiola. I am very sensitive to it.

AndroRage

AndroRage

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
So you think I could run the Gaia Rhodiola and still feel it? Suggested does on bottle is 2 per day...

tyrub42

tyrub42

Awards
  • Established
I just wanted to share my experience recently after receiving and running ashwagandha and relora for the past month or two. I picked these up to help me relax before bed and sleep through the night. I have found that they really help me wind down before bed, especially helping clear my mind so I am not thinking about a million things while I am trying to get to sleep. I also picked up some melatonin. I take the relora and ashwagandha 1-3 hours before bed (average about 1.5), and I take the melatonin 30-45 min before bed. The ashwagandha and relora clear my mind and relax me, then the melatonin knocks me out. Even if I wake up to take a piss or something I am always back asleep really fast when I get back in bed. I initially had some trouble with the 3mg melatonin dose (crazy messed up vivid dreams), but I got used to it after using half doses for a few weeks first. I haven't needed any sleep aides since I started taking these and I can't recommend this combo enough. It has helped my sleep quality and quantity more than anything else I have tried, including prescription benzos.

Also, I don't know if this is due to the relora and/or ashwagandha, but I have also been pretty lax with my diet since ending a log I was doing a month ago, but I still look the same way I did at the end of my log (maybe slightly less vascular since I am not taking ABE or ArA anymore, which both help with vascularity, but even that is a small difference), and I am still just as solid. The only other things that could explain it are ABE/ArA afterglow (this is definitely a real thing and I love it, but it has never kept me this lean while drinking and eating a modest amount of junk food), and continuing to dose berberine maybe once per day, which has never had this big of an effect in the past and is generally pretty mild.

Overall I am thrilled with these products. I was hesitant at first because I didn't know if they would work well dosed only once per day for sleep, but they definitely do work very well. I bought some ashwagandha bulk powder to use when the pills run out, and will definitely be buying relora again when that runs out as well. Now, all I have to do is research how often I need to take a break from these things (if ever). If anyone has trouble sleeping, I recommend giving this a try.

Best,
Tyler

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
I love the combo of Rhodiola and Ashwagandha together, really eliminates anxiety and mellows me out. The days that I need to be a little more perked up however, I'll skip the Ashwagandha and just use Rhodiola.

tristen22001

Awards
So you think I could run the Gaia Rhodiola and still feel it? Suggested does on bottle is 2 per day...
I've tried both the Gaia Herbs and Eclectic Institute brands (albeit, only for a week) and definitely prefer Gaia. Both work but due to their dosage differences, seem to have different affects. The Gaia Herbs brand seems to eliminate my exhaustion (with maybe a slight boost in energy) and improves my mood. The Eclectic Institute brand seemed to improve my mood even more but also made me a little tired (I'm guessing because it increased my serotonin levels more). Since I only took it for a week, there's a chance the tiredness would have gone away. However, I've enjoyed the Gaia brand so much in the past that I decided to just go back to that (only decided to try the Eclectic brand because it was cheaper and also had good reviews). I stick with one capsule (120 mg) in the morning and one in the early afternoon. That seems to work perfect. I did try a couple times taking two capsules in the morning but it seemed to increase my anxiety slightly. So, I just stay with one capsule at a time now. As a side note, I contacted Gaia about the salidrosides content of their rhodiola and was told even though they don't mention it on the bottle that they do test for it and the average content is 1.8% (or 4.3 mg per 2 capsules).

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Even if I didn't care for their rhodiola (which I do prefer), the way that Gaia responds and is open with their processes and communication makes them a winner in my book. Based on that alone, I would recommend their products to others.

Also, I agree with all of you on ashwaganda. It is a nice, subtle supplement. I do like it, but found that my anxiolytic stack is perfect for me without it, so I keep the cost factor down.

tristen22001

Awards
Has anyone tried stacking ginkgo with rhodiola? I'm thinking I might need something to help with circulation (as long as I can remember I've had very cold hands and even a blue tint or coloring to my finger nails)?

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I just wanted to share my experience recently after receiving and running ashwagandha and relora for the past month or two. I picked these up to help me relax before bed and sleep through the night. I have found that they really help me wind down before bed, especially helping clear my mind so I am not thinking about a million things while I am trying to get to sleep. I also picked up some melatonin. I take the relora and ashwagandha 1-3 hours before bed (average about 1.5), and I take the melatonin 30-45 min before bed. The ashwagandha and relora clear my mind and relax me, then the melatonin knocks me out. Even if I wake up to take a piss or something I am always back asleep really fast when I get back in bed. I initially had some trouble with the 3mg melatonin dose (crazy messed up vivid dreams), but I got used to it after using half doses for a few weeks first. I haven't needed any sleep aides since I started taking these and I can't recommend this combo enough. It has helped my sleep quality and quantity more than anything else I have tried, including prescription benzos.

Also, I don't know if this is due to the relora and/or ashwagandha, but I have also been pretty lax with my diet since ending a log I was doing a month ago, but I still look the same way I did at the end of my log (maybe slightly less vascular since I am not taking ABE or ArA anymore, which both help with vascularity, but even that is a small difference), and I am still just as solid. The only other things that could explain it are ABE/ArA afterglow (this is definitely a real thing and I love it, but it has never kept me this lean while drinking and eating a modest amount of junk food), and continuing to dose berberine maybe once per day, which has never had this big of an effect in the past and is generally pretty mild.

Overall I am thrilled with these products. I was hesitant at first because I didn't know if they would work well dosed only once per day for sleep, but they definitely do work very well. I bought some ashwagandha bulk powder to use when the pills run out, and will definitely be buying relora again when that runs out as well. Now, all I have to do is research how often I need to take a break from these things (if ever). If anyone has trouble sleeping, I recommend giving this a try.

Best,
Tyler

Definitely agree on this stack. Relora + Forskohlin + Ashwagandha is one of my favorites and definitely seems to have a leaning effect(even Relora by itself)

tyrub42

tyrub42

Awards
  • Established
Definitely agree on this stack. Relora + Forskohlin + Ashwagandha is one of my favorites and definitely seems to have a leaning effect(even Relora by itself)
Yeah to be honest I am still shocked and finding it hard to believe how much they are doing especially only dosing once per day at night (although I guess that is when I pay the biggest price for eating poorly), but I can't argue with results :) . I can't wait to phase in Erase and Anabeta!

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What dose do you guys run with for the Gaia Rhodiola? And do you run it every day or?

I'm looking at that but it is only 60 caps and it says 2 per say which may prove to be expensive...

Have you used Viridian maxi potency Rhodiola?

Many thanks
Rhodiola 3% rosavins 1 % salidrosides at 550mg pre workout

Your good for the entire day

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
The ones I like the most are Bacopa, Rhodiola Rosea and Ashwagandha.

I'd be interested in trying out Bacopa with extended usage, as I believe the best effects are noticed 8 weeks or so in with continued usage.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah to be honest I am still shocked and finding it hard to believe how much they are doing especially only dosing once per day at night (although I guess that is when I pay the biggest price for eating poorly), but I can't argue with results :) . I can't wait to phase in Erase and Anabeta!
If you are eating poor, you definitely want to clean that up before adding the Anabeta because that will have you eating everything you can get your hands on.

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
For those looking at ashwagandha for prebed, Solaray is better than the patented Sensoril IMO. It has a stronger sedating/calming effect. 2 caps of it before bed and you're good to go.

Of course, you should try out a few different brands of ashwagandha and figure out what works better for you. Can't really go by the labels on these things because apart from Sensoril, they don't really have standardized extracts from brand to brand using non-patented extracts.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
For those looking at ashwagandha for prebed, Solaray is better than the patented Sensoril IMO. It has a stronger sedating/calming effect. 2 caps of it before bed and you're good to go.

Of course, you should try out a few different brands of ashwagandha and figure out what works better for you. Can't really go by the labels on these things because apart from Sensoril, they don't really have standardized extracts from brand to brand using non-patented extracts.
Do you have any experience with Relora pre-bed?

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Do you have any experience with Relora pre-bed?
Yeah. I've taken it at 250 pre-bed. 500 pre-bed. It doesn't sedate you but you do sleep better. Doesn't have the wake up to pee and then knock out back to dream land effect IMO that ashwagandha has.

I think the best simple pre-bed combo is probably going to be around 200 mg's of 5-HTP (adjust this for your own body, some can do great with less, some may need just a smidgen more, I'm good with 200 mg's) + 250 mg's of Sensoril OR 940 mg's of the Solaray ashwagandha (I prefer the Solaray). If you need extra help falling to sleep, use a little phenibut or GABA and you're good to go. You could add in the Relora but I don't find it necessary.

Only thing out of all those that I mentioned which will need to be cycled is going to be the 5-HTP and the phenibut or GABA.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Yeah. I've taken it at 250 pre-bed. 500 pre-bed. It doesn't sedate you but you do sleep better. Doesn't have the wake up to pee and then knock out back to dream land effect IMO that ashwagandha has.

I think the best simple pre-bed combo is probably going to be around 200 mg's of 5-HTP (adjust this for your own body, some can do great with less, some may need just a smidgen more, I'm good with 200 mg's) + 250 mg's of Sensoril OR 940 mg's of the Solaray ashwagandha (I prefer the Solaray). If you need extra help falling to sleep, use a little phenibut or GABA and you're good to go. You could add in the Relora but I don't find it necessary.

Only thing out of all those that I mentioned which will need to be cycled is going to be the 5-HTP and the phenibut or GABA.
I don't believe 5-HTP has much of an acute effect on sleep quality or sleep onset. I realize 5-HTP --> serotonin --> melatonin, but I believe most notice the increase in sleep quality with prolonged, consistent usage (1-2 weeks).

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't believe 5-HTP has much of an acute effect on sleep quality or sleep onset. I realize 5-HTP --> serotonin --> melatonin, but I believe most notice the increase in sleep quality with prolonged, consistent usage (1-2 weeks).
It has a sedative/calming quality at higher doses. Give it a shot. You can also use it at much lower doses (around 50 mg's or so) which appears to give me a mood boost/calming/stress reducing effect.

Which brings me to wonder why 5-HTP is in some pre-workout products if I recall. Seems counterproductive.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
It has a sedative/calming quality at higher doses. Give it a shot. You can also use it at much lower doses (around 50 mg's or so) which appears to give me a mood boost/calming/stress reducing effect.

Which brings me to wonder why 5-HTP is in some pre-workout products if I recall. Seems counterproductive.
I'd like to see its effects on endogenous serotonin production with long term usage. Maybe there is already data out there.

I'm guessing inclusion is for a "mood boost" or something along those lines. You'd probably more likely see something that is dopaminergic vs. serotonergic in a pre-workout I'd imagine

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'd like to see its effects on endogenous serotonin production with long term usage. Maybe there is already data out there.

I'm guessing inclusion is for a "mood boost" or something along those lines. You'd probably more likely see something that is dopaminergic vs. serotonergic in a pre-workout I'd imagine
I'm pretty sure that it has acute serotonin production effects even on first time uses. It's pretty well known to dose 5-HTP as you come down from something like MDMA or bath salts (in which you are depleted of serotonin). Anecdotally this is well supported and if you look at it from a scientific POV, you can see how the anecdotal evidence most probably does seem to be scientifically valid. I don't think any real studies has been done on 5-HTP though.

End of the day though, when you take a higher dose of 5-HTP, more likely than not, you'll feel something from that.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
In my old party days, 5-HTP was a must. It definitely works to help replenish serotonin.

AndroRage

AndroRage

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
So I'm good to go with Eclectic Institute Rhodiola & Gaia Rhodiola?

One is ninety 500mg caps and the other is 60 caps with less mg...

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
In my old party days, 5-HTP was a must. It definitely works to help replenish serotonin.
Not saying that I did or did not, but it definitely alleviates that E crash big time.The E crash of course is the point when the effects wear off and you were brimming with serotonin and then the levels just fall off a cliff. Depression city.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I do. I use the Swanson product, along with melatonin and 5-HTP. Works like magic.
Why use Melatonin and 5-HTP? I know there's different MOA's, just curious why you personally do it.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Why use Melatonin and 5-HTP? I know there's different MOA's, just curious why you personally do it.
I was going through a long term massively stressful time at work, and sleeping through the night was a challenge.

Challenge solved.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's weird, I tried so many combos and variations for sleep aid and could not get it quite right so that I slept deep, but still got up not groggy, and something that didn't require multiple things. I ended up finding this combo called Advanced Sleep Aid at vitamin shoppe. It's nothing sexy, but a perfect amount of everything to achieve what I need.

5-HTP, valerian, gaba, l-theanine, hops, and melatonin.

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
I was going through a long term massively stressful time at work, and sleeping through the night was a challenge.

Challenge solved.
can you "solve" a challenge?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hey man, Beau has had to deal with enough nitpicking from the women in his past, leave him alone.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Hey man, Beau has had to deal with enough nitpicking from the women in his past, leave him alone.
Boy, isn't that the truth, except the problem was only with one woman, my ex-wife (the adulteress).

Its funny how life works, thought. After I divorced her, I really have been blessed.

Just being away from her is a blessing; one I am thankful for every day.

No, I suppose you cannot solve a challenge. I should have said, the combination allowed me to deal with the challenge, to the point that my night's became restful and, eventually, I no longer needed to rely on all three every night.

So, for me, it worked out well.

Most things do with the right attitude.

tristen22001

Awards
Even if I didn't care for their rhodiola (which I do prefer), the way that Gaia responds and is open with their processes and communication makes them a winner in my book. Based on that alone, I would recommend their products to others.

Also, I agree with all of you on ashwaganda. It is a nice, subtle supplement. I do like it, but found that my anxiolytic stack is perfect for me without it, so I keep the cost factor down.
Did you try the Gaia brand of ashwagandha? The actives seem really low compared to other brands but was wonder if it was still as good or better because of the quality.

tristen22001

Awards
Yep, like all Gaia branded supps, it was of high quality. My wife loves it.
Did you and your wife find it very sedating? Thinking about taking it with the rhodiola and hoping for something to take a little of the edge off my anxiety but not make me tired.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Not really. My wife likes it with a stack of St Johns Wort and bocapa. Takes the edge off, she says.

My anxiety stack that works wonders for me is:
aniracetam 750mg 2x day
alpha gpc 300 mg 2x day
fish oil
agmatine 1g day

You may want to look into L-theanine which is great stuff and good for the day time. Until I created this stack that works for me, I went years trying to find things and l-theanine was a godsend, but after awhile, it made me a little dull. I am very sensitive to noots and adaptogens, so I had to back it off. Now I take it at night before bed.

tristen22001

Awards
Not really. My wife likes it with a stack of St Johns Wort and bocapa. Takes the edge off, she says.

My anxiety stack that works wonders for me is:
aniracetam 750mg 2x day
alpha gpc 300 mg 2x day
fish oil
agmatine 1g day

You may want to look into L-theanine which is great stuff and good for the day time. Until I created this stack that works for me, I went years trying to find things and l-theanine was a godsend, but after awhile, it made me a little dull. I am very sensitive to noots and adaptogens, so I had to back it off. Now I take it at night before bed.
Thank you for the info. I've tried l-theanine in the past but never felt anything from it. Also tried aniracetam with cdp choline. It definitely helped a lot with anxiety but also made my brain fog worse. Recently stopped using bacopa (which was great for anxiety and focus) because it made me too tired. Thinking it combined with the rhodiola was increasing my serotonin levels too much. So, figured I'd give ashwagandha (and maybe ginko) a try with the rhodiola.

tyrub42

tyrub42

Awards
  • Established
If you are eating poor, you definitely want to clean that up before adding the Anabeta because that will have you eating everything you can get your hands on.
I don't get any noticeable increase in hunger from AB as long as I eat at regular intervals. If I let myself get hungry, though, I go from hungry to ravenous super quickly. Anyway, I would not say I am eating incredibly poorly overall, but I would consider it pretty bad for me, since I have been eating a fair amount of carbs at night and also having a drink or two a few nights a week (and will throw back some chocolate more often than I would normally). I am going to tighten everything up once the AB is in, though, because I need to keep carbs a bit higher overall while dosing it (daytime), but will also be trying to cut fat at the same time. It won't be a huge change, but I will miss having a half a bagel and a beer with dinner when I feel like it. Still excited to see the results, though!

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Oh, well that isn't bad at all. I love carbs at night and will never give up my few IPAs during the week.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 24
Supplements 31
Supplements 6
Nootropics 12
halljo Supplements 12