Adaptogens?

Page 2 of 8 First 1234 ... Last

1. Quote Originally Posted by bolt10 View Post
    You have a label for the NOW product you bought (or link)?

Bacopa is definetely one of the premier adaptogens IMO. I do feel it gives me a nice calm and stress relief benefit. Bacopa combined with the SA2-A extract in Alpha T2 does seem to have a mood boosting effect.
    Awesome; that might be something to look into in the future (definitely a winter-only supp though ).

I only have the NOW label from the NP website that claims to be 4.5%, but I have heard of people getting bottles that were standardized to 2.5%. Here is the link: http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/n...a-90-caps.html . How does that look?

Thanks!
    Tyler

2. NOW brand Relora, Ashwagandha, and Rhodiola are all great and generally better priced than most other brands. NOW is always legit. There are certainly higher percentage extracts out there, but when I'm curious about an herb I start with NOW.

Relora is great stuff although I don't think it is an adaptogen per se. MOA is supposedly somewhat valium-ish, upregulating GABA with one abstract claiming it boosts DHEA levels. I don't know how it works exactly, I just love it, lol.
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by tyrub42 View Post
    Awesome; that might be something to look into in the future (definitely a winter-only supp though ).

I only have the NOW label from the NP website that claims to be 4.5%, but I have heard of people getting bottles that were standardized to 2.5%. Here is the link: http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/n...a-90-caps.html . How does that look?

Thanks!
    Tyler
    That is probably fine. After I looked I honestly wasn't sure what standardization percent is even best. I usually just use Sensoril, but I use NOW for other ingredients quite often.
    PEScience Representative
    Don't miss out on the next deal:
    http://pescience.com/insider
    Protein Backed by Science: http://selectprotein.com

4. Quote Originally Posted by bioman View Post
    NOW brand Relora, Ashwagandha, and Rhodiola are all great and generally better priced than most other brands. NOW is always legit. There are certainly higher percentage extracts out there, but when I'm curious about an herb I start with NOW.

Relora is great stuff although I don't think it is an adaptogen per se. MOA is supposedly somewhat valium-ish, upregulating GABA with one abstract claiming it boosts DHEA levels. I don't know how it works exactly, I just love it, lol.
    Really interesting info right there, thanks! So do you feel relora from single doses used when necessary like benzos? Same question for ashwaganda actually? Do either need to be taken daily?

5. Quote Originally Posted by bolt10 View Post

That is probably fine. After I looked I honestly wasn't sure what standardization percent is even best. I usually just use Sensoril, but I use NOW for other ingredients quite often.
    I think sensoril is standardized to 8%, but it is also standardized for 2 different compounds that NOW doesn't list. I figure I laways like NOW brand stuff. Not always the most potent extracts but always consistent and good quality. Thanks man!
    •   

6. Yaaa! Well FWIW I would take it daily. I am hitting some pretty big doses right now with Bioforge and Abyss UP combined.
    PEScience Representative
    Don't miss out on the next deal:
    http://pescience.com/insider
    Protein Backed by Science: http://selectprotein.com

7. I love Rhodiola, but over the years, I have noticed that there is a big difference in brands and not just the ratios they use. One 500mg 3:1 brand can make me really lazy and another brands 250 can make me bonkers with energy. The brands I have had the best luck with have been Gaia, Eclectic Institute, and Solgar.

8. Since I have actual time off this fall, I'll try to bring the sexy back as far as research goes...

http://http://www.altmedrev.com/publications/7/5/421.pdf

http://cms.herbalgram.org/herbalgram...f241bc9c9a5316

And yes, some of those studies kinda suck, but I try to look at the big picture.

In general, smaller doses of RR will increase energy/alertness while larger doses are sedating. What those "doses" are is dependent upon the extract percentages, extract ratios and individual sensitivities. It took me quite a while to pin down what brand and dose to use for my purposes..but bottom line is that RR works and is fairly well researched for an herb.

9. There is a definite bell curve. When I first started taking it, I assumed more was better because I needed a big boost and I took double the dose and within 45 minutes I fell asleep for 5 hours on the couch. I spent the next 5-6 hours in a lazy stupor. 100-250 at a 3:1 ratio is a sweet spot for me. Good natural energy, great stress response, and general heightened mood.

10. Quote Originally Posted by EBF Inc View Post
    I love rhodiola especially pre workout

On a diff note @VaughnTrue I tried dexaprine with the isopropyl octopamine. Legit 1 cap Saturday. Replacing my oep with it. Should be here Wednesday
    that's awesome! glad to hear you're enjoying it it truly is a beast.
    Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals Representative Manager

11. I think the tough thing to handle with adaptogens is that their effects may take a month or two to manifest. And even then, it may be very subtle.

I'm beginning my second month of BaCognize (the patented extract at 250mg three times per day), and I've yet to notice much. I don't feel any acute anxiety relief. I will wait until a later date to assess its affect on working memory.

As for ashwagandha and rhodiola, I have a bottle of Sensoril that I'll be using sooner or later, and Matt will be releasing a product with a rhodiola rosea/rhodiola crenulata blend.

It is along the lines of adaptogens (I guess it would be labeled under TCM), but I prefer magnolia extract/lemon balm extract for anxiolytic effects (Non-TCM or non-adaptogen, I like theanine for this purpose).
    EvoMuse

12. Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    Most of rhodiola's effects are actually chronic. Some are acute, e.g. the performance enhancement secondary to increased pain threshold. Others, like anti-fatigue/pro-mood effects, will take months to manifest.
    Good stuff. I figured most are after the performance enhancement which is why I recommended a dose pre.

Any particular brand you trust for RR?

13. Nobody for Cordyceps?

14. Quote Originally Posted by bioman View Post
    NOW brand Relora, Ashwagandha, and Rhodiola are all great and generally better priced than most other brands. NOW is always legit. There are certainly higher percentage extracts out there, but when I'm curious about an herb I start with NOW.

I have found a product that is 400mg per cap standardized to 3% Rosavins and 4% Salidroside. Is this good?

There's also the NOW Rhodiola?

Or Jarrow Rhodiola (5% rosavins)?

15. I don't care for the NOW brand. It is 500mg and they claim 3:1, but it is very ineffective imo.

16. Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    Most of rhodiola's effects are actually chronic. Some are acute, e.g. the performance enhancement secondary to increased pain threshold. Others, like anti-fatigue/pro-mood effects, will take months to manifest.
    How is this determined? I don't find it to be true based on my own use and anyone I know that takes it. The fatigue and mood benefits are the first noticeable to most people in a matter of days.

17. Quote Originally Posted by Alasel View Post
    Nobody for Cordyceps?
    I have heard nothing but good things about cordyceps but I didn't think they were considered an adaptogen. I do have a bottle of bulk powder that I am hoping is good quality as I hear the quality of the extract is very important with cordyceps. Cordygen gets nothing but great reviews and is cheap. I mostly hear that it's effects are related to endurance, so I am not sure how much of a boost they would give you in your day-to-day life (although I should have a good idea within the next few months).

18. Quote Originally Posted by xhrr View Post
    Good stuff. I figured most are after the performance enhancement which is why I recommended a dose pre.

Any particular brand you trust for RR?
    I use smartpowders bulk powder. Tastes awful but lasts forever

Quote Originally Posted by kisaj View Post
    How is this determined? I don't find it to be true based on my own use and anyone I know that takes it. The fatigue and mood benefits are the first noticeable to most people in a matter of days.
    Determined based on scientific evidence. Especially with bacopa and rhodiola. Ashwaghanda produces more acute effects.

19. I know I might get flamed for this, but no one has mentioned Ecdy or Turk.

20. Quote Originally Posted by The Engineer View Post
    I know I might get flamed for this, but no one has mentioned Ecdy or Turk.
    That's because they're worthless.

21. Quote Originally Posted by Synapsin View Post

That's because they're worthless.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSz7...e_gdata_player

22. Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    Determined based on scientific evidence. Especially with bacopa and rhodiola. Ashwaghanda produces more acute effects.
    Lol, ask a stupid question and...

23. Quote Originally Posted by bioman View Post
    Since I have actual time off this fall, I'll try to bring the sexy back as far as research goes...

http://http://www.altmedrev.com/publications/7/5/421.pdf

http://cms.herbalgram.org/herbalgram...f241bc9c9a5316

And yes, some of those studies kinda suck, but I try to look at the big picture.

In general, smaller doses of RR will increase energy/alertness while larger doses are sedating. What those "doses" are is dependent upon the extract percentages, extract ratios and individual sensitivities. It took me quite a while to pin down what brand and dose to use for my purposes..but bottom line is that RR works and is fairly well researched for an herb.
    I can get Rhodiola from a herb shop and it is 400mg standardized to 3% Rosavins and 4% Salidroside. Worth a go?

The man who sells the stuff, speaks highly of jiogulan also. I'm sure that's in ssv2 also

24. Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    I use smartpowders bulk powder. Tastes awful but lasts forever
    What dosing are you looking at ED? I was looking to add this to an 11-oxo run

25. Quote Originally Posted by Alasel View Post
    I can get Rhodiola from a herb shop and it is 400mg standardized to 3% Rosavins and 4% Salidroside. Worth a go?

The man who sells the stuff, speaks highly of jiogulan also. I'm sure that's in ssv2 also
    That is an interesting mix. Most ratios will be 3-4% Rosavins and 1-1.5% Salidrosides, but I have read conflicting studies that indicate the Salidroside is actually more beneficial.

I sure as hell would be trying it, I know that. You should for us and let us know how it is since it is rare to find that ratio.

26. Over the last couple weeks I've found that Rhodiola Rosea works great with improving my focus and energy (due to lack of sleep) when taken twice each day (morning/afternoon at 120 mg, 6 mg rosavins...Gaia brand). What would stack best with this to improve anxiety and memory? I've tried higher doses (750 mg of Sensoril brand) of Ashwagandha about a month ago but it seemed to increase my brain fog. However, I'm wondering now if maybe my dose had been too high. I'm also looking at trying Bacopa. I'd like to find something that can be used long-term on a daily basis. Also, would Ginkgo Biloba add anything of value to the stack?

27. Adaptogens are a funny thing OP. TBH, which one is better/best depends on the individual. For example, someone whom is usually super calm and relaxed, I wouldn't suggest them to take ashwagandha since ashwagandha would end up increasing their naturally calm and relaxed state.

My suggestion would be to see what areas you feel like you need help in and then find the adaptogen that best fits into that.

28. Ive really enjoyed using adaptogens during periods of high stress and high volume/intensity training.

Ashwaganda, Bacopa, Relora, Rhodiola and Ecdy have all seemed to work fairly well for me. I miss the E-Bol products, those were some of my favorite non hormonals.

Ashwaganda and Bacopa can be found in our fat burner Accelerant.
    Molecular Nutrition - Unlevel The Field
    X-Factor: THE Most Scientifically Valid Muscle Builder, Ever!

29. Quote Originally Posted by SwolenONE View Post
    Ive really enjoyed using adaptogens during periods of high stress and high volume/intensity training.

Ashwaganda, Bacopa, Relora, Rhodiola and Ecdy have all seemed to work fairly well for me. I miss the E-Bol products, those were some of my favorite non hormonals.

Ashwaganda and Bacopa can be found in our fat burner Accelerant.
    Just so happens all you mentioned boost thyroid activity significantly. Plus a few other key ingredients. . To expensive to mass produce tho. Last I got quoted was over 17/unit my cost

30. Quote Originally Posted by kissdadookie View Post
    Adaptogens are a funny thing OP. TBH, which one is better/best depends on the individual. For example, someone whom is usually super calm and relaxed, I wouldn't suggest them to take ashwagandha since ashwagandha would end up increasing their naturally calm and relaxed state.

My suggestion would be to see what areas you feel like you need help in and then find the adaptogen that best fits into that.
    Well, I definitely need something to help keep me from feeling exhausted all day at work from too little sleep. It seems like Rhodiola would be best for that. However, I worry about the tolerance I keep hearing about if it's taken too long (not sure if that would be an issue though if I keep the dosage low). Second I need something to help anxiety. I've read that Bacopa and Ashwagandha can both help with that but I'm not sure which is better for anxiety (especially on a longterm basis).
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. mixing adaptogens, good or bad?
    By comacho in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-31-2008, 12:37 AM
  2. is this a safe mixture of adaptogens
    By andrew732 in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-25-2008, 01:49 AM
  3. Adaptogens
    By 4CraveEnergyD in forum Supplements