Proper amounts of zinc and magnesium?

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just wondering what the average amount Of zinc and magnesium would be to supplement. Not necessarily deficient, but on a reduced diet, levels could be higher. I current get 25mg zinc from multi and 100magnesium. I don't like zma so I'm thinking I will dose zinc in the am on empty stomach and mag later in the evening. Just wondering what an ideal dose would be so there arent any sides like Copper deficiency. Ive read 50-100mg zinc and 300-400 magnesium? Any info about dose and timing would be greatly appreciated.

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I take 30-50mgs zinc at night with selenium and up to 750mgs magnesium earlier in the day.

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
yeah I take 50mg zinc and 800mg magnesium. I take the zinc in the morning for some reason...I guess since I was taking the ZMA in the morning on an empty stomach previously....but I should change the zinc to night time....

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
yeah I take 50mg zinc and 800mg magnesium. I take the zinc in the morning for some reason...I guess since I was taking the ZMA in the morning on an empty stomach previously....but I should change the zinc to night time....
800 mag?? Jeez I've never read that much anywhere lol. I'm very new to these "simple" supps. All the crazy stuff i know about and I'm shocked how ignorant I am to these amazing minerals..

Yea I get 25 zinc from multi so I'm thinking of picking up a supp at 30mg.. I do eat a lot of leafy greens n feel like I get prob ankyher 10-20mg thru diet so. But magnesium definitely need more of. The multi is only 100, so I think a supp at 200-300 will be perfect.

Dosing, I think is preference with just a few guidelines. My thinking is/what I've gathered is:
-don't take them together
-take zinc on empty stomach in am
-magnesium helps with sleep so I will dose that closer to bed/early evening. Whenever it allows me to avoid calcium

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Make sure you check the forms of the Vits/Min. that you consume. They aren't all equal. With that said I love using NOW's powdered Magnesium Citrate bc the powder allows me to alter the amount I take in depending on what my current dietary intake is. :)

Also, it is Zinc you want to avoid taking with Calcium..Magnesium and Calcium are fine to take near each other.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
800 mag?? Jeez I've never read that much anywhere lol. I'm very new to these "simple" supps. All the crazy stuff i know about and I'm shocked how ignorant I am to these amazing minerals..

Yea I get 25 zinc from multi so I'm thinking of picking up a supp at 30mg.. I do eat a lot of leafy greens n feel like I get prob ankyher 10-20mg thru diet so. But magnesium definitely need more of. The multi is only 100, so I think a supp at 200-300 will be perfect.

Dosing, I think is preference with just a few guidelines. My thinking is/what I've gathered is:
-magnesium helps with sleep so I will dose that closer to bed/early evening. Whenever it allows me to avoid calcium
Zinc on an empty stomach gives me some seriously nasty burps full of zinc powder. But yeah I prefer to take zinc before I lift and magnesium later in the day as it is a mild indirect muscle relaxant. I take up 90mg zinc and 1g Magnesium, depending on my activity levels.

th3futur3

Awards
  • Established
Make sure you check the forms of the Vits/Min. that you consume. They aren't all equal. With that said I love using NOW's powdered Magnesium Citrate bc the powder allows me to alter the amount I take in depending on what my current dietary intake is. :)

Also, it is Zinc you want to avoid taking with Calcium..Magnesium and Calcium are fine to take near each other.
Yeah I did not realize this till last night I did some research and everything mentioned zinc not being able to absorb to it's full potential in the presence of calcium.

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks for the heads up.

Which forms of each are the best?

I just purchased a 50mg/capsule of zinc Gluconate... I could not find oxide... My multi is 25, plus this is 75 plus whatever i get from diet. Is the gluconate form Good/bad? Should I try to find oxide? (that's what's in my multi)

I got 250mg caps of magnesium oxide. So my multi+this is 350, plus whatever I get from diet.

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bezt form of zinc is zinc p

Best form of magnesium is amino mangesiums, like magnesium glycinate. I usually like 30-50mg zinc and 400mg actual magnesium.

Sometimes when i take sinc without food my stomach feels like i ate rocks for about 20 minutes

thyrod

thyrod

Awards
Hmmm I tried taking zinc in the past but every time I took it is throw up(morning dosage of about 25mg) def thought it made me a lot horny and much fuller boners.

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards

800mg is not excessive .....we got a 750mg and a 1,000mg in this thread alone lol.....but I take a basic one a day multi-vite......not only do I take additional potassium and magnesium but I double them up.... 99mg pot X2 and 400mg mag X2 day/night.....also 1,000mg vite C X2 for that matter. I get TONS of calcium from the tums I take inbetween meals (probably too much calcium), zinc I just take a 50mg cap once a day....but I live in south Florida, so I sweat and piss a lot in the 90 degree year round weather.....so I've gotten into the habit of taking in extra minerals, esp potassium. I was on a diuretic about 5 years ago for a while, so I have been taking in extra minerals duet to that as well, kind of sticks with you for some reason lol.

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hmmm I tried taking zinc in the past but every time I took it is throw up(morning dosage of about 25mg) def thought it made me a lot horny and much fuller boners.
How could it work if u always threw it up..

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Best form of magnesium is amino mangesiums, like magnesium glycinate. I usually like 30-50mg zinc and 400mg actual magnesium.

Sometimes when i take sinc without food my stomach feels like i ate rocks for about 20 minutes
That's what I read about the mag as the best one..

Zinc picolonate?

What about d3... Should it still be taken if one is taken test boosters like daa or fodogia or testofen?

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ya I take zinc picolonate...also I always take vit D unless I am getting a good amount of sun exposure.

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ya I take zinc picolonate...also I always take vit D unless I am getting a good amount of sun exposure.
Cool. Good thread /info so far here. Bumping for more input!

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Zn Picolinate over Zn AA chelates? May I ask why?
Definitely not over the chelates, but for the common ones used over the counter at your local supermarket, pico has the best absorption.

Zn and Mag AA chelates are where its at. The trickery is realizing you cant take 400mg Mag AA chelate to get your 400mg of Mag. Mag Glycinate Chelate for example is only 18% magnesium, so you need a lot of it!

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Definitely not over the chelates, but for the common ones used over the counter at your local supermarket, pico has the best absorption.

Zn and Mag AA chelates are where its at. The trickery is realizing you cant take 400mg Mag AA chelate to get your 400mg of Mag. Mag Glycinate Chelate for example is only 18% magnesium, so you need a lot of it!
wow nice info. Thanks Natty!

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Ok, thanks for the clarification - as that was my understanding too, that chelates are tops for bioavailability right now. But you're right, someone without experience with molecular weight/molar ratios could easily be confused on how much to take.

I've always wondered, but have never found, the bioavailability of epsom salts (MgSO4). I know it acts a laxative at high enough doses, but I don't know whether that magnesium is absorbed or merely has a local effect...

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So I tallied up my totals from supplementation only and got:

2400d3, 890calcium , 55zinc, 400magnesium

The timing I think I have down except-
My multi Which contains 290mg calcium I take at the same time as the 30mg zinc supplement, first thing upon waking on an empty stomach.

Should I move the zinc to later in the day? Then I have to space it far enough from the calcium/magnesium supplement...

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ya it would be most effective if you separated the timing of it. I just take my zinc with my last meal of the day, but any meal that you don't take a calcium supplement or eat calcium rich foods should be adequate.

RealBigga

Banned
Awards
Can yall just recommend me a great Magnesium product, thanks

monstermash

monstermash

Awards
  • Established
What do you guys think of ZMK from MST? Am I covered with this?

[h=3]ZMK Supplement Facts[/h]Serving Size: veggie caps
Servings per Container: 30
Zinc (As krebs cycle cfmsa chelates)30mg200%
Magnesium (As krebs cycle cfmsa chelates)500mg125%
Vitamin b6 (as pyridoxal 5'phosphate)25mg1250%
Complete Krebs Chelated Mineral support blend
Selenium (As krebs cycle cfmsa chelates)200mcg286%
Copper (As krebs cycle cfmsa chelates)2mg100%
Maganese (As krebs cycle cfmsa chelates)4mg200%
Chromium (As krebs cycle cfmsa chelates)200mcg167%
Molybdenum (As krebs cycle cfmsa chelates)80mcg106%
Potassium (As krebs cycle cfmsa chelates)100mg3%
Boron (As krebs cycle cfmsa chelates)4mg**
Vanadium (As krebs cycle cfmsa chelates)25mcg**
Naturally occurring 72 trace mineral blend4mg**
Krebs cycle intermediates
Citrate,fumarate,malate,succinate,Alpha-keto-glutarate
3078mg**
Amount Per Serving% Daily Value
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
** Percent Daily Values not established.
INGREDIENTS: Vegetable sterols,stearic acid,croscarmellose sodium,magnesium sterate,silicone dioxide.

edvanp

edvanp

Awards
  • Established

ZMK Supplement Facts

Serving Size: veggie caps
3078mg**
INGREDIENTS: Vegetable sterols,stearic acid,croscarmellose sodium,magnesium sterate,silicone dioxide.
Very good supplement! I take 1-2 of these a night before bed. I believe their serving size is 4 caps but 1-2 works well for me.

tunnelrat

tunnelrat

Awards
  • Established
Wow. So Optizinc isn't the best choice anymore??? I thought zinc + methionine was the most bioavailable combo????

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Can yall just recommend me a great Magnesium product, thanks
If you want standalone just look for something that has Magnesium Citrate or a chelated form.

I think it looks really good. I plan on purchasing some once my current stock of these vitamins/minerals diminishes. Just make sure you check the amounts of vitamins/minerals you get from other supplements as to not take too much. Even things you may not expect to may have good amounts of selenium, zinc, etc. already (such as Ultima, various test boosters, HGH-up, etc)

Sorry for the longer explanation (as I know you post here quite often so I know you know how to search around and are knowledgeable), but I just want those not as informed to make sure they understand total intake from all sources (food, other supps, etc) and adjust your intake accordingly.

Hope I didn't sound to confusing or rushed :p

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you want standalone just look for something that has Magnesium Citrate or a chelated form.

I think it looks really good. I plan on purchasing some once my current stock of these vitamins/minerals diminishes. Just make sure you check the amounts of vitamins/minerals you get from other supplements as to not take too much. Even things you may not expect to may have good amounts of selenium, zinc, etc. already (such as Ultima, various test boosters, HGH-up, etc)

Sorry for the longer explanation (as I know you post here quite often so I know you know how to search around and are knowledgeable), but I just want those not as informed to make sure they understand total intake from all sources (food, other supps, etc) and adjust your intake accordingly.

Very helpful, thanks. Is 75 mg zinc from supplements too much... Taking into account dietary additional amount from diet? Should one stat in the 50/55 range from supps?

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Wow. So Optizinc isn't the best choice anymore??? I thought zinc + methionine was the most bioavailable combo????
Zinc methionate is a zinc amino acid chelate, currently the most bioavailable form of zinc. So yeah, Optizince is a solid choice!

Edit: Wow, I hadn't looked at ZMK in a while - that stuff looks great! I'd up the dosage, but only cuz I'm a big guy.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Very helpful, thanks. Is 75 mg zinc from supplements too much... Taking into account dietary additional amount from diet? Should one stat in the 50/55 range from supps?
Honestly I don't know what the upper limit of Zinc dosages off the top of my head, so maybe someone who does can chime in (I do believe I am getting roughly 60 mg at the moment, but unfortunately my diet is lacking in zinc and is something I am trying to fix). In general though it will depend on how much you get from your diet as well.

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards

[h=3]ZMK Supplement Facts[/h]Serving Size: veggie caps
3078mg**
Amount Per Serving% Daily Value
You would probably need an additional calcium supplement of some sort. 99% of these mineral products either don't include any calcium or a barely significant amount. Calcium takes a lot of space in a cap/tablet, so many of them don't include it. I take tums daily like I was saying earlier which has tons of calcium in there. not sure if you want to take in additional calcium or not, but just sayin'......

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Honestly I don't know what the upper limit of Zinc dosages off the top of my head, so maybe someone who does can chime in (I do believe I am getting roughly 60 mg at the moment, but unfortunately my diet is lacking in zinc and is something I am trying to fix). In general though it will depend on how much you get from your diet as well.
Well I'm kinda beating s dead horse. All sources have read and said 50-100 max from supplementation (according to dietary intake) anything over 100 u start running risks of copper deficiency and is counter productive.

tunnelrat

tunnelrat

Awards
  • Established
Zinc methionate is a zinc amino acid chelate, currently the most bioavailable form of zinc. So yeah, Optizince is a solid choice!

Edit: Wow, I hadn't looked at ZMK in a while - that stuff looks great! I'd up the dosage, but only cuz I'm a big guy.
Reps

monstermash

monstermash

Awards
  • Established

Don't worry about it, I appreciate the response. It's the only one I've been using for a while now and wasn't sure if it was better to take things separate or in a all in one like ZMK.

You would probably need an additional calcium supplement of some sort. 99% of these mineral products either don't include any calcium or a barely significant amount. Calcium takes a lot of space in a cap/tablet, so many of them don't include it. I take tums daily like I was saying earlier which has tons of calcium in there. not sure if you want to take in additional calcium or not, but just sayin'......
I take calcium ascorbate about 4 times a day with meals (500mg/meal) which has about 60mg calcium per dose. You think that's enough?

monstermash

monstermash

Awards
  • Established
With all the whey and yogurt and cheese I eat, Ca++ is low on my supp priority list.
Normally I'd say the same too but since I'm cutting I want to be on top of things like this.

Edit 280! damn that pic of homer throws me off and I forget you are a big boy.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I haven't read this whole thread, but i did respond to your PM.

More and more zinc is not beneficial in anyway.

Personally i would stay at 50mgs above dietary intake of Zinc. (Do the math with whatever flavor of zinc you choose).. the most current research is that Zinc P is the best for absorption.

The Zinc/Calcium competition is not of consequence to one taking in a normal or above normal levels of calcium... competition only happens in individuals in-taking lower levels of calcium.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3584729

If you are dead set on going 100mgs or above of the zinc.. have a cut of veal once in a while to get a descent dose of copper to avoid the imbalance... but like I said.. there is no benefit to having supra-physiological levels. Test increase from Zinc is only evident in individuals deficient in zinc.

If you train hard day in and day out... the extra 50mgs a day should compensate for pretty much anyone besides maybe Michael Phelps! :D

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
Don't worry about it, I appreciate the response. It's the only one I've been using for a while now and wasn't sure if it was better to take things separate or in a all in one like ZMK.

I take calcium ascorbate about 4 times a day with meals (500mg/meal) which has about 60mg calcium per dose. You think that's enough?
Oh for sure that is plenty.....just wanted to alert you that even the best mineral supplement usually is lacking in calcium or has none whatsoever in it. The supp companies emphasize calcium for women but not so much for men.....but of course men should supplement some calcium as well and its usually not in the multi's. but yeah, you look good with what you take in.

RealBigga

Banned
Awards

so which form is better then? magnesium glycinate or magnesium chelates ??? u confused me haha