Pyschological Effects of Anabolic Steriods

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Often times I visit boards and see these discussion. Mostly from questions like "Are Steriods addicitive?", "Do you get roid rage?", "Are steriods a gateway drug?"

I myself say no to all three, but I assume it varies dependant upon who you consult. So I thought Id dig up some studies, but Id also like to hear some personal testomonials................(not that anyone uses steriods, they're illegal, but lets imagine that you did)

Psychiatric and medical effects of anabolic-androgenic steroid use. A controlled study of 160 athletes.

Pope HG Jr, Katz DL.

Biological Psychiatry Laboratory, McLean Hospital, Belmont, Mass.

BACKGROUND: We sought to expand on preliminary findings suggesting that anabolic-androgenic steroids produce psychiatric effects in some athletes who use them. METHODS: We compared 88 athletes who were using steroids with 68 nonusers, using the Structured Clinical Interview for DSM-III-R to diagnose psychiatric syndromes occurring in association with steroid use (if applicable) and in the absence of steroid use. Demographic, medical, and laboratory measures were also performed. RESULTS: Steroid users displayed more frequent gynecomastia, decreased mean testicular length, and higher cholesterol-high-density lipoprotein ratios than nonusers. Most strikingly, 23% of steroid users reported major mood syndromes--mania, hypomania, or major depression--in association with steroid use. Steroid users displayed mood disorders during steroid exposure significantly more frequently than in the absence of steroid exposure (P < .001) and significantly more frequently than nonusers (P < .01). Users rarely abused other drugs simultaneously with steroids. CLUSION: Major mood disturbances associated with anabolic-androgenic steroids may represent an important public health problem for athletes using steroids and sometimes for the victims of their irritability and aggression.

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Posted by George Spellwin:

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Men being treated for addiction to heroin or similar drugs are more likely to have been anabolic steroid abusers than alcoholics or cocaine addicts, the results of a small study suggest.

The findings indicate that at least some men who begin abusing steroids may find it easier to progress to opioid drugs such as heroin or oxycodone, which is found in the prescription drugs OxyContin and Percocet.

Seven of 24 men in the study with opioid dependence and previous steroid use learned about such drugs at the gym and later obtained their first opioids from the person who sold them steroids. Eighteen of those men, or 75%, said steroids were the first drugs they had self-injected.

"These observations, while hardly conclusive, suggest that (anabolic) steroid use may have served as a 'gateway' to opioid dependence for these individuals," according to the report in the Journal of Clinical Psychiatry.

In the study, Dr. Harrison G. Pope, Jr. of the McLean Hospital in Belmont, Massachusetts and colleagues assessed lifetime anabolic steroid use among 223 male substance abusers who were undergoing treatment for alcohol, cocaine or opioids.

Of 88 men who listed an opioid as their preferred drug, 25% reported prior anabolic steroid use, according to the study. Only 5% of men addicted to alcohol or other drugs reported steroid use

The authors say that more studies at other rehabilitation centers need to confirm their findings.

It's possible that anabolic steroids and opioids stimulate similar pathways in the brain, and that people who respond to one class of drug may respond to the other, they said. Or it's possibly that certain "psychological attributes" may make some men prone to abusing both drugs, according to the report.

Anabolic steroids first gained popularity among adult bodybuilders because of their effectiveness in speeding muscle buildup. However, subsequent studies have concluded that chronic use of the drugs increases the risk of a host of health problems including high blood pressure, liver dysfunction, cancer, blood clotting abnormalities and even psychological disturbances.

The American College of Sports Medicine has long condemned the non-medical use of anabolic steroids.

SOURCE: Journal of Clinical Psychiatry 2003;64:156-160.

Bone

Awards
Man, I dont ever want to stop........... once Im on, thats it. :D I do stop though hahaha

Peace

Bone

T-Bar

Awards
Gear leading to heroin? I can't buy that. The only correlation I see, is that 1) Once you've purchased illegal substances and you realise you can get away with it, you're more open to the possibility of trying other illegal substances (this is why weed leads to other drugs, CUZ IT'S ILLEGAL). And 2) Alot of people are scared of needles. Those that aren't (like gear users) are more likely to try a heroin cuz they don't mind the needles. I wonder if diabetics who regularly inject them selves with insulin are more likely to abuse heroin?

destro19

destro19

Awards
Did the list these guys occupations cause that could of helped.  I think it depends on the type of job they have.  Look at that UFC guy on HBO. He had all kinds of issues. Look at how stressful police and firemens jobs are.

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by T-Bar
Gear leading to heroin? I can't buy that. 
There is a substance out in the bodybuilding world called Nubain (nalbuphine HCL) and it is a derrivitave of opium (as are heroin, morphine, and codein)...

So, yes, steroid use can lead to the use of opioids.  It may not lead to heroin specifically, but it can lead to use of its "cousins"

in fact I know a couple of guys that use nubain that also use steroids...

but anyway, back on topic...

I have not used steroids, but I have done a high-dosed transdermal 4-AD cycle of 700-800mg/day (say that I was getting about 40% absorption), and let me tell you, there were times when I was never happier in my life, and there were times where I was so pissed that I nearly destroyed objects in my room...

IMO, steroids have the effect to intensify or enhance your mood or emotions, but you do have the ability to control them...

if you are naturally an asshole even when not on gear, then you can be even worse while on cycle....

but thats just my opinion 

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards

There is a substance out in the bodybuilding world called Nubain (nalbuphine HCL) and it&nbsp;is a derrivitave of opium (as are heroin, morphine, and codein)...
Now, let's be fair. Nubian can be used for a broad range of reasons. A lot of powerlifters use it to stomp out the pain from heavy lifts, a lot of previously injured athletes use it to even continue to train, nubian has been shown to have fat burning properties, but yes, no one can deny its used as a recreational drug also.

No way is heroin and nubian comparable. Nubian is an opioid antagonist and must completely clear the system before another dose can be felt. Nubian is not like heroin where higher doses are needed to continue to feel the euphoric effects. Nubian is no where near as addictive as heroin, thats been proven. (1)

in fact I know a couple of guys that use nubain that also use steroids...
For what reasons? Recreationally? I know alot of steriod users who smoke pot. I know a lot of coke heads that use steriods.

if you are naturally an asshole even when not on gear, then you&nbsp;can be even worse while on cycle....
Once again, I disagree. If you're an asshole, you're an asshole. Steriods are often used as a scapegoat for showing your ass.

*(1)

Nalbuphine. A preliminary review of its pharmacological properties and therapeutic efficacy.

Errick JK, Heel RC.

Nalbuphine is an agonist/antagonist analgesic. After parenteral administration of 'usual' doses it is approximately equipotent in analgesic activity to morphine on a weight basis. In studies in patients with moderate to severe pain, usually following surgery, the characteristics of analgesia with nalbuphine were comparable to those seen with equianalgesic doses of morphine or pentazocine. It also appears to produce satisfactory anaesthesia when used as a component of a 'balanced' anaesthesia technique, although a relatively low 'ceiling' effect for reduction of anaesthetic requirements with nalbuphine may limit its usefulness in this regard. As with other agonist/antagonist analgesics, a 'ceiling' effect to nalbuphine-induced respiratory depression is also seen, beyond which further depression does not readily occur. However, with usual analgesic doses, respiratory depression seen with nalbuphine is comparable to that with morphine. Important haemodynamic changes have not occurred after usual doses of nalbuphine, even in patients with cardiac disease. Like other agonist/antagonist analgesic drugs, the abuse potential of nalbuphine seems relatively low, but only wider clinical use for longer periods can establish this with certainty. Thus, nalbuphine appears to offer a useful alternative to morphine in patients with moderate to severe pain.

RaulJimenez

Awards
  • Established
Once again, I disagree. If you're an asshole, you're an asshole. Steriods are often used as a scapegoat for showing your ass.

LOL THAT **** JUST MADE MY DAY YJ ROFL

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by YellowJacket

Now, let's be fair. Nubian can be used for a broad range of reasons. A lot of powerlifters use it to stomp out the pain from heavy lifts, a lot of previously injured athletes use it to even continue to train, nubian has been shown to have fat burning properties, but yes, no one can deny its used as a recreational drug also.

No way is heroin and nubian comparable. Nubian is an opioid antagonist and must completely clear the system before another dose can be felt. Nubian is not like heroin where higher doses are needed to continue to feel the euphoric effects. Nubian is no where near as addictive as heroin, thats been proven. 

For what reasons? Recreationally? I know alot of steriod users who smoke pot. I know a lot of coke heads that use steriods.

I was not incinuating that all nubain users use it as a rec. drug, I should have clarified, sorry.  But, the guys that I know use it via subcutaneous administration before their heavy workouts to control the intense pain that they would otherwise suffer without using it.

But, yeah, I agree about the scapegoat/asshole thing...as a matter of fact, I laughed when I read what you put..LoL

semmer

Awards
As far as my personal testimonial, I've done a 4ad/Nor-diol (oral) stack and never felt all that much as far as rage or emotional liability, but I see now that it was clearly due to dose. I'm in my final days of t-1 (3 squirts) and I've noticed some definite changes but nothing severe. Slighty quicker to anger, but I'm definitely not prone to outbursts so it's quite unnoticeable to everyone. Just more confident and slightly less patient with people.
Of course, from what I hear fina is a bit stronger in this regard.

ironviking

The Axe Man Cometh!!
Awards
  • Established
I wonder if diabetics who regularly inject them selves with insulin are more likely to abuse heroin?
I'd have to say no but my fear of needles is totally gone so roids are no big deal.

Of all the roid cycles I've done (only in my imagination of course, roids are illegal). I have always felt "better" you know: happier, more confident, and usually easier to deal with. When I'm off, I'm an asshole.

:saw:

ready2explode

Awards
The effects of supraphysiological doses of testosterone on angry behavior in healthy eugonadal men--a clinical research center study.

Tricker R, Casaburi R, Storer TW, Clevenger B, Berman N, Shirazi A, Bhasin S
Division of Endocrinology, Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science, Los Angeles, California 90059, USA.

Anecdotal reports of "roid rage" and violent crimes by androgenic steroid users have brought attention to the relationship between anabolic steroid use and angry outbursts. However, testosterone effects on human aggression remain controversial. Previous studies have been criticized because of the low androgen doses, lack of placebo control or blinding, and inclusion of competitive athletes and those with preexisting psychopathology. To overcome these pitfalls, we used a double-blind, placebo-controlled design, excluded competitive athletes and those with psychiatric disorders, and used 600 mg testosterone enanthate (TE)/week. Forty-three eugonadal men, 19-40 yr, were randomized to 1 of 4 groups: Group I, placebo, no exercise; Group II, TE, no exercise; Group III, placebo, exercise; Group IV, TE plus exercise. Exercise consisted of thrice weekly strength training sessions. The Multi-Dimensional Anger Inventory (MAI), which includes 5 different dimensions of anger (inward anger, outward anger, anger arousal, hostile outlook, and anger eliciting situations), and a Mood Inventory (MI), which includes items related to mood and behavior, were administered to subjects before, during, and after the 10 week intervention. The subject's significant other (spouse, live-in partner, or parent) also answered the same questions about the subject's mood and behavior (Observer Mood Inventory, OMI). No differences were observed between exercising and nonexercising and between placebo and TE treated subjects for any of the 5 subdomains of MAI. Overall there were no significant changes in MI or OMI during the treatment period in any group. Conclusion: Supraphysiological doses of testosterone, when administered to normal men in a controlled setting, do not increase angry behavior. These data do not exclude the possibility that still higher doses of multiple steroids might provoke angry behavior in men with preexisting psychopathology.

ready2explode

Awards
Exogenous testosterone, aggression, and mood in eugonadal and hypogonadal men.

O'Connor DB, Archer J, Hair WM, Wu FC.

Department of Endocrinology, Manchester Royal Infirmary, Manchester M13 9WL, UK. [email protected]

To investigate (1) the effects of exogenous testosterone (T) on self- and partner-reported aggression and mood and (2) the role of trait impulsivity in the T-aggression relationship. Thirty eugonadal men with partners were randomized into two treatment groups to receive: (1) 200 mg im T enanthate weekly for 8 weeks or (2) 200 mg im sodium chloride weekly for 8 weeks. Eight hypogonadal men received 200 mg im T enanthate biweekly for 8 weeks. All groups completed a battery of behavior measures at baseline (Week 0) and at Weeks 4 and 8. Cognitive and motor impulsivity were the only predictors of self-reported total aggression (over and above age and T levels) at Weeks 0, 4, and 8. No significant changes in aggression or mood levels were found in the eugonadal-treated group. Significant reductions in negative mood (tension, anger, and fatigue) followed by an increase in vigor were found in response to T treatment in the hypogonadal group. These results demonstrate that inability to control one's behavior when such control is required by a particular situation (impulsivity) was found to significantly predict levels of aggression over and above age and T level. These data do not support the hypothesis that supraphysiological levels of T (within this range) lead to an increase in self- and partner-reported aggression or mood disturbances. Instead, for the first time, this study has identified the high level of negative affect experienced by hypogonadal patients. These findings have implications for T replacement therapy and male contraception.

ready2explode

Awards
Baillieres Clin Endocrinol Metab 1998 Oct;12(3):521-34

Potential adverse effects of long-term testosterone therapy.

Rolf C, Nieschlag E.

Institute of Reproductive Medicine of the University, Munster, Germany.

Natural testosterone and its esters, even when applied in supraphysiological doses, rarely produce side-effects. Via a negative feedback mechanism, exogenous testosterone suppresses the production of lutenizing hormone and follicle stimulating hormone, and leads to reduced testicular sperm production and, consequently, reduced testicular volume. The main concerns for the potential adverse effects of testosterone treatment are the prostate and the cardiovascular system. Androgens play a permissive role in the development of prostate cancer and benign prostate hyperplasia; however, there are no data to indicate that testosterone administration can lead to the progression of pre-clinical or clinical prostate cancer. Whether the effects of testosterone treatment on lipid metabolism are clinically relevant is as yet undetermined. The effects of testosterone on behaviour, especially on aggression, have not been firmly established. Some androgen effects, such as virilization and coarsening of the voice, considered normal in adult men are inappropriate in women and children.

ready2explode

Awards
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1992 Dec;75(6):1503-7

The effects of exogenous testosterone on sexuality and mood of normal men.

Anderson RA, Bancroft J, Wu FC.

Medical Research Council Reproductive Biology Unit, Centre for Reproductive Biology, Edinburgh, Scotland.

The effects of supraphysiological levels of testosterone, used for male contraception, on sexual behavior and mood were studied in a single-blind, placebo-controlled manner in a group of 31 normal men. After 4 weeks of baseline observations, the men were randomized into two groups: one group received 200 mg testosterone enanthate (TE) weekly by im injection for 8 weeks (Testosterone Only group), the other received placebo injections once weekly for the first 4 weeks followed by TE 200 mg weekly for the following 4 weeks (Placebo/Testosterone group). The testosterone administration increased trough plasma testosterone levels by 80%, compatible with peak testosterone levels 400-500% above baseline. Various aspects of sexuality were assessed using sexuality experience scales (SES) questionnaires at the end of each 4-week period while sexual activity and mood states were recorded by daily dairies and self-rating scales. In both groups there was a significant increase in scores in the Psychosexual Stimulation Scale of the SES (i.e. SES 2) following testosterone administration, but not with placebo. There were no changes in SES 3, which measures aspects of sexual interaction with the partner. In both groups there were no changes in frequency of sexual intercourse, masturbation, or penile erection on waking nor in any of the moods reported. The Placebo/Testosterone group showed an increase in self-reported interest in sex during testosterone treatment but not with placebo. The SES 2 results suggest that sexual awareness and arousability can be increased by supraphysiological levels of testosterone. However, these changes are not reflected in modifications of overt sexual behavior, which in eugonadal men may be more determined by sexual relationship factors. This contrasts with hypogonadal men, in whom testosterone replacement clearly stimulates sexual behavior. There was no evidence to suggest an alteration in any of the mood states studied, in particular those associated with increased aggression. We conclude that supraphysiological levels of testosterone maintained for up to 2 months can promote some aspects of sexual arousability without stimulating sexual activity in eugonadal men within stable heterosexual relationships. Raising testosterone does not increase self-reported ratings of aggressive feelings.

ready2explode

Awards
This was posted by Nandi12, admin over at CEM.
============================
This is a fascinating report. I had to get the whole paper because the abstract contains a very confusing typo. Half way down under "Results", strike "free" before T3 and T4 and replace with "total".

So high dose methyltest actually raised TSH and free T4 levels, indicating a stimulatory effect on the thyroid. This is contrary to the undocumented general wisdom of most anabolic forums where AAS are said to lower free thyroid levels. AAS always lower total T3 and T4 because they lower thyroid binding globulin (TBG) levels. But here they stimulated the thyroid and caused an increase in free hormone levels.

The increased aggression scores in the individual subjects during psychological testing correlated with the degree of increase in free T4. In each patient, the higher their free t4 levels were, the more aggresiveness they showed.

Aggressiveness did not correlate with plasma androgen levels. The authors hypothesize that "roid rage" could stem from hyperthyroidism in those particular individuals who exhibit very high elevations in thyroid function while using AAS. They cite numerous studies where induced hyperthyroidism caused affective disorders including depression and/or manic episodes.

Psychoneuroendocrinology 2003 Apr;28(3):317-31

Neuroendocrine and behavioral effects of high-dose anabolic steroid administration in male normal volunteers.

Daly RC, Su TP, Schmidt PJ, Pagliaro M, Pickar D, Rubinow DR.

Behavioural Endocrinology Branch, National Institute of Mental Health, Building 10, Room 3N238, 10 Center Drive MSC 1277, 20892-1277, Bethesda, MD, USA

OBJECTIVE: Despite widespread abuse of anabolic-androgenic steroids (AAS), the endocrine effects of supraphysiologic doses of these compounds remain unclear. We administered the AAS methyltestosterone (MT) to 20 normal volunteers in an in-patient setting, examined its effects on levels of pituitary-gonadal, -thyroid, and -adrenal hormones, and examined potential relationships between endocrine changes and MT-induced psychological symptoms. METHOD: Subjects received MT (three days of 40 mg/day, then three days of 240 mg/day) or placebo in a fixed sequence with neither subjects nor raters aware of order. Samples were obtained at the ends of the baseline, high-dose MT and withdrawal phases. Potential relationships between hormonal changes and visual analog scale measured mood changes were examined. RESULTS: Significant decreases in plasma levels of gonadotropins, gonadal steroids, sex hormone binding globulin, free T3 and T4, and thyroid binding globulin (Bonferroni t, p<0.01 for each) were seen during high-dose MT; free thyroxine and TSH increased during high-dose MT, with TSH increases reaching significance during withdrawal. No significant changes in pituitary-adrenal hormones were observed. Changes in free thyroxine significantly correlated with changes in aggressiveness (anger, violent feelings, irritability) (r=0.5,p=0.02) and changes in total testosterone correlated significantly with changes in cognitive cluster symptoms (forgetfulness, distractibility) (r=0.52,p=0.02). Hormonal changes did not correlate with plasma MT levels. CONCLUSIONS: Acute high-dose MT administration acutely suppresses the reproductive axis and significantly impacts thyroid axis balance without a consistent effect on pituitary-adrenal hormones. Mood and behavioral effects observed during AAS use may in part reflect secondary hormonal changes.

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Kick ass posts brother, much appreciated, this has turned out to be a killer thread.

ready2explode

Awards
:D glad you liked em...my thoughts: most arent going to have a problem with AAS, but there are a select few who are gonna go crazy. These ppl are going to be the ones that already have a few screws loose.

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
:D glad you liked em...my thoughts: most arent going to have a problem with AAS, but there are a select few who are gonna go crazy. These ppl are going to be the ones that already have a few screws loose.
Exactly and the same ones the media loves to get ahold of and stereotype all AAS users to be pyscho's... God Bless America ;)