Steroids and prostate cancer risk?

SpicedCider

SpicedCider

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Pat, what is your opinion on the correlation between steroid use and prostate cancer risk? I have read that DHT is the hormone that seems to primarily be implicated as a potential cause/aggressor of prostate cancer, so do you think someone's risk of developing the disease would be increased by taking a DHEA metabolite such as 1-DHEA, 4-DHEA, etc. (in other words, a hormone that doesn't convert to DHT)? My dad had prostate cancer surgery back in the spring, so I'm especially curious about this in regards to my own risk for developing the disease.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am not Pat but I will tell you that the current research suggests that it is estrogen, not DHT, that has been found to be the nemesis to the prostate.

SpicedCider

SpicedCider

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I am not Pat but I will tell you that the current research suggests that it is estrogen, not DHT, that has been found to be the nemesis to the prostate.
Interesting... but at the same time, it seems that at least some people with prostate cancer apparently survive longer when they actually receive estrogen therapy:

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/19562062/health-matters-taking-hormones-for-prostate-cancer

At the same time, though, I have also read that having low levels of testosterone throughout adulthood is actually correlated with an increased risk of developing prostate cancer later in life. But still, I have also read that many males developed prostate cancer only after beginning testosterone therapy. So I don't really know what to think anymore...

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
Pat, what is your opinion on the correlation between steroid use and prostate cancer risk? I have read that DHT is the hormone that seems to primarily be implicated as a potential cause/aggressor of prostate cancer, so do you think someone's risk of developing the disease would be increased by taking a DHEA metabolite such as 1-DHEA, 4-DHEA, etc. (in other words, a hormone that doesn't convert to DHT)? My dad had prostate cancer surgery back in the spring, so I'm especially curious about this in regards to my own risk for developing the disease.

testosterone and DHT have never been correlated with increased risk of developing prostate cancer. Anabolic Steroids havent either

Alll may increase the growth of most existing prostate cancers though, because most of these are androgen dependent

SpicedCider

SpicedCider

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
testosterone and DHT have never been correlated with increased risk of developing prostate cancer. Anabolic Steroids havent either

Alll may increase the growth of most existing prostate cancers though, because most of these are androgen dependent
Thanks. Do you think it would be worth it just in case to get a PSA test? My dad didn't really have any of the risk factors (white, non-smoker, not that fat, only 53) when he was diagnosed last spring, so I'm kind of paranoid now. I was only considering taking the DHEA isomers (probably 1-DHEA, 4-DHEA, and 19-nor-DHEA), so hopefully I don't really have anything to worry about with those...

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks. Do you think it would be worth it just in case to get a PSA test? My dad didn't really have any of the risk factors (white, non-smoker, not that fat, only 53) when he was diagnosed last spring, so I'm kind of paranoid now. I was only considering taking the DHEA isomers (probably 1-DHEA, 4-DHEA, and 19-nor-DHEA), so hopefully I don't really have anything to worry about with those...
Absolutely!

EDIT: I have been getting colonoscopies (family history of colon cancer) long before I needed to and I discovered a precancerous benign edenoma (polyp). Could very well have saved my life or at the very least saved me from colon cancer.

BBB

BBB

Awards
  • Established
It's pretty conclusive that high levels of E2 over a prolonged period is the primary cause of prostate and breast cancer. However, once developed, testosterone will cause to grow at an accelerated rate. People with prostate cancer do benefit from estrogen therapy short term but typically the cancer will come back even stronger after several years. Dht will also cause the prostate to grow in the presense of estrogen. Dht can also cause your hair to fall out if you are susceptible. Cancer feeds on glycogen so it is best to control your blood sugar levels.

SpicedCider

SpicedCider

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's pretty conclusive that high levels of E2 over a prolonged period is the primary cause of prostate and breast cancer. However, once developed, testosterone will cause to grow at an accelerated rate. People with prostate cancer do benefit from estrogen therapy short term but typically the cancer will come back even stronger after several years. Dht will also cause the prostate to grow in the presense of estrogen. Dht can also cause your hair to fall out if you are susceptible. Cancer feeds on glycogen so it is best to control your blood sugar levels.
Thanks for the info. Just out of general curiosity, do you think it would be an ill-advised move to take a DHEA isomer such as 1-DHEA? I guess the primary concern would be making sure that I don't already have a prostate tumor before taking something that converts to testosterone...

truthornothin

truthornothin

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the info. Just out of general curiosity, do you think it would be an ill-advised move to take a DHEA isomer such as 1-DHEA? I guess the primary concern would be making sure that I don't already have a prostate tumor before taking something that converts to testosterone...
It runs in my family, get tested and remove all doubt

BBB

BBB

Awards
  • Established
1-DHEA is supposed to mimic testosterone however I have used it with very little effect. It also supposed to be prostate friendly (conjecture). I personally use DHEA on a daily basis. I also take an AI along with it. I find regular DHEA gives me extra energy throughout the day. It is one product that I can feel working. A mild stim that doesn't screw up my BP.