Steroids and prostate cancer risk?

  1. New Member
    SpicedCider's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    496
    Rep Power
    135933
    Level
    24
    Lv. Percent
    65.98%

    Steroids and prostate cancer risk?


    Pat, what is your opinion on the correlation between steroid use and prostate cancer risk? I have read that DHT is the hormone that seems to primarily be implicated as a potential cause/aggressor of prostate cancer, so do you think someone's risk of developing the disease would be increased by taking a DHEA metabolite such as 1-DHEA, 4-DHEA, etc. (in other words, a hormone that doesn't convert to DHT)? My dad had prostate cancer surgery back in the spring, so I'm especially curious about this in regards to my own risk for developing the disease.

  2. Board Moderator
    Unbreakable
    David Dunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    49
    Posts
    11,820
    Rep Power
    1317971

    I am not Pat but I will tell you that the current research suggests that it is estrogen, not DHT, that has been found to be the nemesis to the prostate.
  3. New Member
    SpicedCider's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    496
    Rep Power
    135933
    Level
    24
    Lv. Percent
    65.98%

    Quote Originally Posted by David Dunn View Post
    I am not Pat but I will tell you that the current research suggests that it is estrogen, not DHT, that has been found to be the nemesis to the prostate.
    Interesting... but at the same time, it seems that at least some people with prostate cancer apparently survive longer when they actually receive estrogen therapy:

    http://www.nbc-2.com/story/19562062/...rostate-cancer

    At the same time, though, I have also read that having low levels of testosterone throughout adulthood is actually correlated with an increased risk of developing prostate cancer later in life. But still, I have also read that many males developed prostate cancer only after beginning testosterone therapy. So I don't really know what to think anymore...
    •   
       

  4. Featured Author
    Patrick Arnold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,119
    Rep Power
    554327
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    40.59%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by SpicedCider View Post
    Pat, what is your opinion on the correlation between steroid use and prostate cancer risk? I have read that DHT is the hormone that seems to primarily be implicated as a potential cause/aggressor of prostate cancer, so do you think someone's risk of developing the disease would be increased by taking a DHEA metabolite such as 1-DHEA, 4-DHEA, etc. (in other words, a hormone that doesn't convert to DHT)? My dad had prostate cancer surgery back in the spring, so I'm especially curious about this in regards to my own risk for developing the disease.

    testosterone and DHT have never been correlated with increased risk of developing prostate cancer. Anabolic Steroids havent either

    Alll may increase the growth of most existing prostate cancers though, because most of these are androgen dependent
    Anabolicminds.com Featured Author
  5. New Member
    SpicedCider's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    496
    Rep Power
    135933
    Level
    24
    Lv. Percent
    65.98%

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Arnold View Post
    testosterone and DHT have never been correlated with increased risk of developing prostate cancer. Anabolic Steroids havent either

    Alll may increase the growth of most existing prostate cancers though, because most of these are androgen dependent
    Thanks. Do you think it would be worth it just in case to get a PSA test? My dad didn't really have any of the risk factors (white, non-smoker, not that fat, only 53) when he was diagnosed last spring, so I'm kind of paranoid now. I was only considering taking the DHEA isomers (probably 1-DHEA, 4-DHEA, and 19-nor-DHEA), so hopefully I don't really have anything to worry about with those...
  6. Board Moderator
    Unbreakable
    David Dunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    49
    Posts
    11,820
    Rep Power
    1317971

    Quote Originally Posted by SpicedCider View Post
    Thanks. Do you think it would be worth it just in case to get a PSA test? My dad didn't really have any of the risk factors (white, non-smoker, not that fat, only 53) when he was diagnosed last spring, so I'm kind of paranoid now. I was only considering taking the DHEA isomers (probably 1-DHEA, 4-DHEA, and 19-nor-DHEA), so hopefully I don't really have anything to worry about with those...
    Absolutely!

    EDIT: I have been getting colonoscopies (family history of colon cancer) long before I needed to and I discovered a precancerous benign edenoma (polyp). Could very well have saved my life or at the very least saved me from colon cancer.
  7. Senior Member
    BBB's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  192 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,874
    Rep Power
    321372
    Level
    39
    Lv. Percent
    10.52%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    It's pretty conclusive that high levels of E2 over a prolonged period is the primary cause of prostate and breast cancer. However, once developed, testosterone will cause to grow at an accelerated rate. People with prostate cancer do benefit from estrogen therapy short term but typically the cancer will come back even stronger after several years. Dht will also cause the prostate to grow in the presense of estrogen. Dht can also cause your hair to fall out if you are susceptible. Cancer feeds on glycogen so it is best to control your blood sugar levels.
  8. New Member
    SpicedCider's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    496
    Rep Power
    135933
    Level
    24
    Lv. Percent
    65.98%

    Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    It's pretty conclusive that high levels of E2 over a prolonged period is the primary cause of prostate and breast cancer. However, once developed, testosterone will cause to grow at an accelerated rate. People with prostate cancer do benefit from estrogen therapy short term but typically the cancer will come back even stronger after several years. Dht will also cause the prostate to grow in the presense of estrogen. Dht can also cause your hair to fall out if you are susceptible. Cancer feeds on glycogen so it is best to control your blood sugar levels.
    Thanks for the info. Just out of general curiosity, do you think it would be an ill-advised move to take a DHEA isomer such as 1-DHEA? I guess the primary concern would be making sure that I don't already have a prostate tumor before taking something that converts to testosterone...
  9. Senior Member
    truthornothin's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Age
    49
    Posts
    2,135
    Rep Power
    27964
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    76.92%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by SpicedCider View Post
    Thanks for the info. Just out of general curiosity, do you think it would be an ill-advised move to take a DHEA isomer such as 1-DHEA? I guess the primary concern would be making sure that I don't already have a prostate tumor before taking something that converts to testosterone...
    It runs in my family, get tested and remove all doubt
    E-PHARM Nutrition Representative
    Better one ugly truth than a million pretty lies
    Check Out Ur-Spray and D-Serine at Prototype Nutrition



  10. Senior Member
    BBB's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  192 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,874
    Rep Power
    321372
    Level
    39
    Lv. Percent
    10.52%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    1-DHEA is supposed to mimic testosterone however I have used it with very little effect. It also supposed to be prostate friendly (conjecture). I personally use DHEA on a daily basis. I also take an AI along with it. I find regular DHEA gives me extra energy throughout the day. It is one product that I can feel working. A mild stim that doesn't screw up my BP.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. ALA and Prostate cancer increase risk
    By Goffio69 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-04-2008, 08:08 PM
  2. Lean Body Mass My Lower Prostate Cancer Risk
    By jdahlum in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-07-2007, 07:01 AM
  3. IGF-1 and prostate cancer
    By jcam222 in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-22-2004, 03:49 PM
  4. Prostate cancer risk linked to testosterone level
    By db682 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-11-2004, 06:54 AM
  5. Finasteride Reduces Prostate Cancer Risk
    By Dr of Golf in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-27-2003, 10:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in