FINAFLEX - BREAKING NEWS!!!

Page 6 of 15 First ... 4567811 ... Last
  1. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.47%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by drinkyboy View Post
    Yea and hook me up with a bottle of 550XD Black to log for ya! No but congrats DW! Your a very positive and kind person. I always enjoy your posts.
    Yah but I like to kick a little azz too... lol thanks ... I'm just so happy to still be killin it and have this opportunity to share my experience of something that brrings me such utter joy... I love thowin the steel around and gettin big...
    LG Sciences sponsored athlete
    Mind and Muscle Board Representative

2. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.2%

Quote Originally Posted by DreamWeaver View Post
    Yah but I like to kick a little azz too... lol thanks ... I'm just so happy to still be killin it and have this opportunity to share my experience of something that brrings me such utter joy... I love thowin the steel around and gettin big...
    Hell yea! Congrats to both!
  3. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.47%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by biglifter85 View Post
    Hell yea! Congrats to both!
    Thanks appreciate the support....
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.28%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by DreamWeaver

Congrats Doug. What a great respected team that will be. Good job Finaflex.
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  189 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.59%

Congrats on the spot. Glad to see somebody doing well even after their prime.
    Olympus Labs Rep
    All your Anabolic needs @ Olympus-labs.com
  6. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.99%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting Pro

congrats DW been followin u for a while and u def. deserve it, lookin forward to more in the future

cant wait for the arnold!!!!
  7. Enhanced Body Formulations REP
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.75%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Well done DW!!!! Well Deserved
    ...::: EBF REP :::...
    Recompadrol-AAv2-Metabolic Pow(d)er
    THE FUTURE OF LEAN
  8. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'11"  168 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.18%

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyDoc
    Gather round Ladies & Gents,
    FINAFLEX has BIG NEWS...

FINAFLEX has officially added a new member to its team....
    A Man who needs no Introductions...
    The Man... The Myth... The Legend...

*** DREAMWEAVER ***

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqMhU64HMUA">YouTube Link</a>
    Congrats sir!!! You deserve it!!! I'm very happy for you
    "Difficult things take a long time, impossible things take a little longer."
    OG Punjabi Avenger
  9. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.47%

Quote Originally Posted by Rahl View Post
    Congrats Doug. What a great respected team that will be. Good job Finaflex.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycuda View Post
    Congrats on the spot. Glad to see somebody doing well even after their prime.
    Quote Originally Posted by mkretz View Post
    congrats DW been followin u for a while and u def. deserve it, lookin forward to more in the future

cant wait for the arnold!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by runner_79 View Post
    Well done DW!!!! Well Deserved
    Quote Originally Posted by punjabimunde View Post
    Congrats sir!!! You deserve it!!! I'm very happy for you
    Thanks guys...
  10. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.84%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Redefine Nutrition Becomes FINAFLEX

Atlanta, GA Redefine Nutrition, which started its dietary supplements line for sports nutrition in 2008, has changed its name to FINAFLEX, effective immediately. The company has a FINAFLEX line of products and the name change was done to eliminate any ambiguity between this line and the manufacturing arm of the organization, Redefine Nutrition.

“We were having some confusion with customers and distributors and felt changing the company name to the already familiar FINAFLEX was the right solution,” stated FINAFLEX President Bryan Krause.

Each FINAFLEX bottle is adorned with a Phoenix logo that was specifically chosen to represent the rebirth of dietary supplements. Bryan Krause and Kyung Kim, the company’s owners, established the business to deliver a line of supplements unmatched by any other manufacturer. In just three years, the FINAFLEX product line has grown to represent 11 different products. These supplements cover a multitude of categories including weight loss, pre- and post-workout, sports performance, and muscle building.

Now, in early 2012, FINAFLEX will be launching two additional products over the next month. These include FINAFLEX 550-XD Black, which is coming back to the market in January to fill the void it left two years ago when it was discontinued. The second supplement, N.O. IGNITE will be relaunching as IGNITE 2 in February 2012 at the Arnold Fitness Expo in Columbus, Ohio. IGNITE 2 will redefine the pre-workout category with its unique ingredient profile containing two patent-pending bodybuilding ingredients.

Also new in 2012, FINAFLEX will begin launching products into two separate series, FINAFLEX BLACK (for hardcore) and FINAFLEX SPORT (for sports performance). The company plans to launch six additional products later this year, including a revolutionary patent-pending creatine derivative that will change the sports nutrition world forever.

To view the full line of FINAFLEX products, locate local stores carrying the line, read customer testimonials, get updates on which events FINAFLEX will be appearing at in 2012, or to learn more about sponsored athletes like bodybuilder Eboni Wilson, visit http://www.finaflex.com.

About FINAFLEX (formerly Redefine Nutrition)
    FINAFLEX, formerly known as Redefine Nutrition, was established in 2008. The company logo—a Phoenix—represents the rebirth of dietary supplements, especially in the competitive sports arena. The FINAFLEX line has already earned a solid reputation as bodybuilding products that produce results. With 11 different supplements in its product line, the company has plans for continued growth with increased distribution and additional supplements in its product line. To learn more about FINAFLEX, visit http://www.finaflex.com or follow the company on Twitter or Facebook.
    Dr. Albert Scott Representative for FINAFLEX
    www.finaflex.com
    Redefine Yourself..... REDEFINE EVERYTHING!
  11. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  204 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.2%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Congratulations to DW and also to FINAFLEX.
    Live Hard, Laugh Hard, Love Hard and Heal Fast! - KLEEN
    Current Log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/256911-kleen-cuts-back.html
  12. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.84%

Your Body Type - Ectomorph, Mesomorph or Endomorph?

Author:
    Damien Mase

ECTOMORPH

An ectomorph is a typical skinny guy. Ecto’s have a light build with small joints and lean muscle. Usually ectomorph’s have long thin limbs with stringy muscles. Shoulders tend to be thin with little width.
    Typical traits of an ectomorph:

• Small “delicate” frame and bone structure
    • Classic “hardgainer”
    • Flat chest
    • Small shoulders
    • Thin
    • Lean muscle mass
    • Finds it hard to gain weight
    • Fast metabolism
    [IMG]http://www.**********************/sites/default/files/images/articles/ectomorph.jpg[/IMG]

Ectomorphs find it very hard to gain weight. They have a fast metabolism which burns up calories very quickly. Ecto’s need a huge amount of calories in order to gain weight. Workouts should be short and intense focusing on big muscle groups. Supplements are definitely recommended. Ectomorphs should eat before bed to prevent muscle catabolism during the night. Generally, ectomorphs can lose fat very easily which makes cutting back to lean muscle easier for them.

MESOMORPH
    A mesomorph has a large bone structure, large muscles and a naturally athletic physique. Mesomorphs are the best body type for bodybuilding. They find it quite easy to gain and lose weight. They are naturally strong which is the perfect platform for building muscle.
    Typical traits on a Mesomorph:

• Athletic
    • Hard body with well defined muscles
    • Rectangular shaped body
    • Strong
    • Gains muscle easily
    • Gains fat more easily than ectomorphs
    [IMG]http://www.**********************/sites/default/files/images/articles/mesomorph.jpg[/IMG]

The mesomorph body type responds the best to weight training. Gains are usually seen very quickly, especially for beginners. The downside to mesomorphs is they gain fat more easily than ectomorphs. This means they must watch their calorie intake. Usually a combination of weight training and cardio works best for mesomorphs.

ENDOMORPH
    The endomorph body type is solid and generally soft. Endomorphs gain fat very easily. Endo’s are usually of a shorter build with thick arms and legs. Muscles are strong, especially the upper legs. Endomorphs find they are naturally strong in leg exercises like the squat.
    Typical traits of an Endomorph:

• Soft and round body
    • Gains muscle and fat very easily
    • Is generally short and “stocky”
    • Round physique
    • Finds it hard to lose fat
    • Slow metabolism
    [IMG]http://www.**********************/sites/default/files/images/articles/endomorph.jpg[/IMG]

When it comes to training endomorphs find it very easy to gain weight. Unfortunately, a large portion of this weight is fat not muscle. To keep fat gain to a minimum, endomorphs must always train cardio as well as weights. Usually supplements may not be needed as long as the person has a high protein intake in their diet.

A combination of body types.
    These body types aren’t set in stone. In fact, most guys have a combination of two body types. These combinations are either ectomorph/mesomorph or mesomorph/endomorph. It is not uncommon to find a pure mesomorph that gains weight like an endomorph for example.

So which body type are you?

Given the information above you should be able to identify your body type. You may also want to optimize your diet and training to suit your body type.

One final point I want to mention is that no matter what your body type you can build a big, ripped, muscular physique. Even the skinniest of guys can bulk up. Yes, it’s harder but if you’re willing to put in the hard work it can be done. I have about the skinniest natural build possible and at the time of writing this article I have gained about 30kg (66lbs) of lean muscle mass.
    www.finaflex.com
  13. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  218 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.32%

Mine is a hybrid of mesomorph and endomorph.
  14. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.84%

Quote Originally Posted by Onlychevy6 View Post
    Mine is a hybrid of mesomorph and endomorph.
    I am a true-blue ENDOMORPH! Now with that being said, I believe body-types can be changed, maybe not the true nature of your body, but with a change in eating and exercising, can achieve similar goals as others, with not necessarily working harder, just different! Kind of like those people that you will see in the gym every single day, they lift for like 2hrs and then do an hour of cardio and they have been training in the same gym as you for as long as you can remember (years) and they look the same now as the first time you ever saw them, yet if you go speak with them, they don't understand what is wrong, they are in a rut, no matter what they try or how hard they try, the results are the same! That is because they are just doing more of the same and not something different. Kinda leads to the old saying or definition of insanity... "trying the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result"
    www.finaflex.com
  15. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.47%

Quote Originally Posted by MrKleen73 View Post
    Congratulations to DW and also to FINAFLEX.
    Thanks Chris...

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyDoc View Post
    Your Body Type - Ectomorph, Mesomorph or Endomorph?

Author:
    Damien Mase

ECTOMORPH

An ectomorph is a typical skinny guy. Ecto’s have a light build with small joints and lean muscle. Usually ectomorph’s have long thin limbs with stringy muscles. Shoulders tend to be thin with little width.
    Typical traits of an ectomorph:

• Small “delicate” frame and bone structure
    • Classic “hardgainer”
    • Flat chest
    • Small shoulders
    • Thin
    • Lean muscle mass
    • Finds it hard to gain weight
    • Fast metabolism
    [IMG]http://www.**********************/sites/default/files/images/articles/ectomorph.jpg[/IMG]

Ectomorphs find it very hard to gain weight. They have a fast metabolism which burns up calories very quickly. Ecto’s need a huge amount of calories in order to gain weight. Workouts should be short and intense focusing on big muscle groups. Supplements are definitely recommended. Ectomorphs should eat before bed to prevent muscle catabolism during the night. Generally, ectomorphs can lose fat very easily which makes cutting back to lean muscle easier for them.

MESOMORPH
    A mesomorph has a large bone structure, large muscles and a naturally athletic physique. Mesomorphs are the best body type for bodybuilding. They find it quite easy to gain and lose weight. They are naturally strong which is the perfect platform for building muscle.
    Typical traits on a Mesomorph:

• Athletic
    • Hard body with well defined muscles
    • Rectangular shaped body
    • Strong
    • Gains muscle easily
    • Gains fat more easily than ectomorphs
    [IMG]http://www.**********************/sites/default/files/images/articles/mesomorph.jpg[/IMG]

The mesomorph body type responds the best to weight training. Gains are usually seen very quickly, especially for beginners. The downside to mesomorphs is they gain fat more easily than ectomorphs. This means they must watch their calorie intake. Usually a combination of weight training and cardio works best for mesomorphs.

ENDOMORPH
    The endomorph body type is solid and generally soft. Endomorphs gain fat very easily. Endo’s are usually of a shorter build with thick arms and legs. Muscles are strong, especially the upper legs. Endomorphs find they are naturally strong in leg exercises like the squat.
    Typical traits of an Endomorph:

• Soft and round body
    • Gains muscle and fat very easily
    • Is generally short and “stocky”
    • Round physique
    • Finds it hard to lose fat
    • Slow metabolism
    [IMG]http://www.**********************/sites/default/files/images/articles/endomorph.jpg[/IMG]

When it comes to training endomorphs find it very easy to gain weight. Unfortunately, a large portion of this weight is fat not muscle. To keep fat gain to a minimum, endomorphs must always train cardio as well as weights. Usually supplements may not be needed as long as the person has a high protein intake in their diet.

A combination of body types.
    These body types aren’t set in stone. In fact, most guys have a combination of two body types. These combinations are either ectomorph/mesomorph or mesomorph/endomorph. It is not uncommon to find a pure mesomorph that gains weight like an endomorph for example.

So which body type are you?

Given the information above you should be able to identify your body type. You may also want to optimize your diet and training to suit your body type.

One final point I want to mention is that no matter what your body type you can build a big, ripped, muscular physique. Even the skinniest of guys can bulk up. Yes, it’s harder but if you’re willing to put in the hard work it can be done. I have about the skinniest natural build possible and at the time of writing this article I have gained about 30kg (66lbs) of lean muscle mass.
    Yah I am a pretty classic Endo-Meso as well...
  16. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.84%

Breaking News...

Wild squirrel caught in FINAFLEX Warehouse!

www.finaflex.com
  17. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.47%

Must have gotten into the 1-andro....
  18. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.28%

Hahaha @ the squirrel.

Great idea on the "name change". That really was confusing.

I'm a true ecto. I graduated high school at 135lbs and like 6% bf. couldn't gain weight to save my life. I was actually happy for the metabolism slowing a bit when I got older. I still have to eat a lot to gain weight. I'm usually in the 4,000 cals Ed range.

That said once I learned how to eat and how to better train the weight came on fairly easily.
  19. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.47%

Yah I sometimes envy the more ecto types for their ability to eat copius amounts of food, but then you train a advize a few of them and see how hard it is to hold onto size, I grow to learn that we all have our crosses to burn.

Endo's now have IF style dieting and I don't believe that style of dieting is effective for ecto types. I think that the difference in people's metabolism is the reason for so much confusion when it comes to dieting and exercise. Endo's need to eat much less and need to do more activity to get very lean where ecto's can eat as much as 5000 calories to get mass on and generally have to do less activity ... so very little cardio. Most of it is common sense but that does not always come to the forfront. A lot of marketing is aimed at people who have trouble gaining weight and that will confuse some inexperienced lifters...
  20. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.87%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Yah I sometimes envy the more ecto types for their ability to eat copius amounts of food, but then you train a advize a few of them and see how hard it is to hold onto size, I grow to learn that we all have our crosses to burn.

Endo's now have IF style dieting and I don't believe that style of dieting is effective for ecto types. I think that the difference in people's metabolism is the reason for so much confusion when it comes to dieting and exercise. Endo's need to eat much less and need to do more activity to get very lean where ecto's can eat as much as 5000 calories to get mass on and generally have to do less activity ... so very little cardio. Most of it is common sense but that does not always come to the forfront. A lot of marketing is aimed at people who have trouble gaining weight and that will confuse some inexperienced lifters...
    I like IF, I actually think I am going back into this eating pattern when I come back and hit my recomp/cut. This time I will be using more fats/carbs from faster/denser sources... Digesting complex carbs and stuff is not really a strong point of my digestive track....
    RecoverBro ELITE
  21. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  204 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.2%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

I agree whole heartedly. I think IF style eating really benefits the ectomorphs more than any other group. Most mesos and endos have to eat too much and still run into catabolism issues when their body burns through the nutrients.

Quote Originally Posted by mattrag View Post
    I like IF, I actually think I am going back into this eating pattern when I come back and hit my recomp/cut. This time I will be using more fats/carbs from faster/denser sources... Digesting complex carbs and stuff is not really a strong point of my digestive track....
    Yeah just make the carbs you have enjoyable and easy to digest. It all breaks down into glycogen. Sure some goes to the liver but it can still be used in the muscle too if needed. With IF the need to have it all be clean or complex is not an issue because the lack of insulin during that fast keeps you sensitive.

Come see my 2 week fat blast with Lyle MDonald's The Rapid Fat Loss Handbook using an Intermittent Fasting protocol similar to Lean Gains. It will be a mini log updated daily, pics from beginning, end of week 1 and end of week 2.

Kleen Crashes Head first into fat loss using Lyle McDonald's Rapid Fat Loss Handbook.
    Live Hard, Laugh Hard, Love Hard and Heal Fast! - KLEEN
    Current Log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/256911-kleen-cuts-back.html
  22. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.28%

Quote Originally Posted by MrKleen73

I agree whole heartedly. I think IF style eating really benefits the ectomorphs more than any other group. Most mesos and endos have to eat too much and still run into catabolism issues when their body burns through the nutrients.

Yeah just make the carbs you have enjoyable and easy to digest. It all breaks down into glycogen. Sure some goes to the liver but it can still be used in the muscle too if needed. With IF the need to have it all be clean or complex is not an issue because the lack of insulin during that fast keeps you sensitive.

Come see my 2 week fat blast with Lyle MDonald's The Rapid Fat Loss Handbook using an Intermittent Fasting protocol similar to Lean Gains. It will be a mini log updated daily, pics from beginning, end of week 1 and end of week 2.

Kleen Crashes Head first into fat loss using Lyle McDonald's Rapid Fat Loss Handbook.
    You realize you said you agreed and then proceeded to disagree right? Lol

While I have no experience with IF I tend to agree with Doug. One of the things that has kept me from trying is the thought of trying to shove down 5000 cals in that window.
  23. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.47%

You realize you said you agreed and then proceeded to disagree right? Lol

While I have no experience with IF I tend to agree with Doug. One of the things that has kept me from trying is the thought of trying to shove down 5000 cals in that window.
    I think it was a typo lol .... and yah I have not had a lot of positive experience with ecto's on IF. It's like their metabolisms are more evolved to a more modern style of eating... while... mine ... is ... not!!
  24. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.47%

Think about though, Ecto types would not have survived the ancient style of eating as their fast metabolisms would have them weak and starving so the only conclusion is that their metabolisms must have evolved somehow.
  25. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.28%

Think about though, Ecto types would not have survived the ancient style of eating as their fast metabolisms would have them weak and starving so the only conclusion is that their metabolisms must have evolved somehow.
    That's a reasonable theory. I know for me personally my blood sugar would plummet if I didn't eat regularly. Somedays it's still hard to get down all of the food I need to eat to maintain weight. I can't imagine having to do it in a shorter window.
  26. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.47%

That's a reasonable theory. I know for me personally my blood sugar would plummet if I didn't eat regularly. Somedays it's still hard to get down all of the food I need to eat to maintain weight. I can't imagine having to do it in a shorter window.
    Yah I am not sure it is even possible ... hence my theory...different body types ...different methods..
  27. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.28%

Yah I am not sure it is even possible ... hence my theory...different body types ...different methods..
    I agree. It's always been about figuring out what works for you. I always eat right before bed and wake up lean and dry. Others would never do that. Trial and error like anything else.
  28. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.47%

I agree. It's always been about figuring out what works for you. I always eat right before bed and wake up lean and dry. Others would never do that. Trial and error like anything else.
    Yah body type does point in the right direction though. Just a matter of making the proper adjustments....
  29. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  229 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.53%

anyone got any reports/updates on their 550 cycle? My buddy started it yesterday
  30. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.47%

Quote Originally Posted by mattbaseball View Post
    anyone got any reports/updates on their 550 cycle? My buddy started it yesterday
    Great let us know as much as you can about how it goes for him...
  31. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  229 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.53%

Great let us know as much as you can about how it goes for him...
    He is on Day 3 and said the first 2 mornings he has been extremely tired/graugy like he was out partying the night before. He is confused as to why?

He is doing the same 8-9 week 550xd/Epi bridge that me, my brother, and my other buddy will start in Mid March
  32. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.84%

He is on Day 3 and said the first 2 mornings he has been extremely tired/graugy like he was out partying the night before. He is confused as to why?

He is doing the same 8-9 week 550xd/Epi bridge that me, my brother, and my other buddy will start in Mid March
    Matt... I am very confused as to why he would be feeling tired and lethargic as you describe... I mean lets get a little more history about your friend... is this his first time back in the gym in a few weeks??? Is he a regular to the gym? Has he changed his diet (less sugar &/or fat)? What is his normal sleep cycle (hours of sleep/night), has his sleep cycle changed any? Is he under and kind of emotional distress? I mean there are tons of factors that can cause what you are saying and I'm not saying it is impossible, just based on other's reports and how it was designed and the ingredients, it is unlikely!
    www.finaflex.com
  33. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.47%

Progressive Overload is
    the Holy Grail of Weight Training

Progressive overload Is a crucial strength and muscle-building principle.
    The concept is simple: you must continually increase the demand placed on your body – over time.
    Understanding this principle will help anyone improve their weight training results...
    ...In other words, if you implement this princinple, it is guaranteed that you will gain muscle mass and build strength. Period.
    Progressive Overload:
    Table of Contents (TOC)

Click to Jump Down the Page:

Whether you are struggling to gain muscle mass, want to increase your bench press or squat, or if you simply want to build muscle and strength faster, then you are at the right place.
    Before I get too deep in, I should stress the importance of proper diet and recovery. Simply put, you physically cannot follow the principle if your diet is poor and you fail to get enough rest.
    Find out how you should use it by reading the rest of this page.
    You can use the table of contents (TOC) on the right side of your page for simple navigation throught this weight lifting principle guide.
    Now, on with the show...
    What is Progressive Overload?

Progressive overload is a fitness principle that continuously increases the demand placed on the body during training. This will lead the body to adapt to the demand and thus improve over time.
    If you want to improve in strength and size, you have to understand and implement progressive overloading into your training workouts. Without this, you'll find that after a short time, your improvement will plateau: at this point, no progress is being made.
    The body will always react to what you push it to do, and in general, it will adapt. This is the standard in various contexts.
    Take for example, the brain and learning; your brain will store information when we push it to, and while it may have a large capacity, very few people push it to its actual limits by continuously learning and memorizing information.
    There are 3 components which encompass progressive overload. They are intensity, frequency, and volume. Any and all of these should be increased on a regular basis to improve results.
    Benefits of Progressive Overload

Why You Need Progressive Overload. I'll continue by going over the many benefits of progressive overload to underline why everyone should want to know about and use this essential training principle:
    • "Muscle Memory." The body – and the mind – is always being challenged. When doing new or varying exercises, neural circuits are being formed and strengthened. This is because while new movements stress the muscles in a new way, they are also connected to the spine and brain, which have to learn the movements as well. The neural circuits formed are a large part of the workout. They are the reaction to a movement you want the muscle to do, while the muscle simply moves the load.
    • Build Muscle and Strength. Simply, by pushing and stressing the muscle to move more, it will do what it must to meet the demands placed on it. The muscle fibers will grow in size and will have the increased contraction capacity needed for serious strength.
    • Hypertrophy. This is the proper term for physical growth of the muscle. Physiologically, the muscle will grow in size only under certain conditions. While strength can be improved fairly easily, hypertrophy is dependent upon the number of sets, reps, and each individual's muscular structure.
    • Rapid Improvement. By setting yourself up for a challenging and ever changing routine, you are also setting yourself up for great results.
    • Keeping it Interesting. Getting out to the gym 4 or 5 or 6 days a week can become boring, especially if it's always the same, predictable workout. The same predictable workout gets tedious, easy, and unfortunately, boring. A part of progressive overloading is not only to change reps and sets, but also to use as many different exercises to challenge the same muscles in a variety of ways.
    Achieving Progressive Overload

When training with a goal in mind to improve strength and build muscle mass, it is important to create a program, rather than a repetitive routine, covering a longer time period.
    A program will alternate different numbers of sets, reps, weight used, and the frequency of training. The overload principle denotes that a gradual but consistent increase in stress load must occur for continual improvement.
    With a long-term program, full training cycles are planned and outlined ahead of time, so that regardless of how you might be feeling, a somewhat new plan is already set out for you.
    If you are just starting out (within the first 6 or more months of training), go easy. First you'll have to get into shape – getting your muscles, tendons, ligaments, and joints ready for what will come. This is very important to avoid injury which could seriously affect your training regimen altogether.
    Intensity, Volume, and Frequency

The 3 Components. The components of progressive overload include:
    • Intensity. Intensity is the actual load or weight you'll be lifting. It is measured according to what your 1 rep max is for a particular exercise/movement. The value of your one rep max is 100%, and the intensity is measured based off this. For example, your 1 rep max for a shoulder press is 100lbs and you would like to work out at 80% intensity, which means peaking at 80lbs for that particular training session.
    • Volume. Volume is the number of repetitions you'll do for each exercise at a particular intensity. Volume and intensity are closely tied, and co-relate according to what stage you're at in the training cycle.
    • Frequency. Frequency simply means, how often you are training and recovering. It would be optimal to train and recover as often and quickly as possible, to avoid tissue damage and over-training.
    Manipulating the Components for Optimal Results

This subsection will talk about manipulating intensity, volume, and frequency in broader terms. The following section will expand upon this, and provide specific techniques for implementing progressive overload into your weight lifting routine.

Changing Intensity. Intensity is the easiest to change: you simply increase the amount of weight.
    • This should be your first option before you resort to tinkering with volume and/or frequency. Note, however, that when you do use the other two components (especially volume), intensity has a natural tendency to change in response.
    Changing Frequency. Frequency is at the foundation of good training. You'll have to work each group of exercises (or muscle groups) in the most effective manner and allow enough time to have that section to recover.
    • For example, you might start by working out 3 days a week – Monday, Wednesday, Friday. You'd cycle chest/triceps/shoulders Monday, then legs/back/biceps Wednesday, and back to chest/triceps/shoulders Friday. This way, you're doing each muscle every 5 days, giving it the optimal amount of time to recover properly (by tearing, rebuilding, and growing).
    • Training at a rate that does not allow full recovery is dangerous and will lead to over-training, which will exhaust you and decrease strength and size.
    Changing Volume. Volume does not have to be excessively high, but should be as high as possible while still allowing the quickest strength increases.
    • This is really important to remember in your beginning years because having strength is so important in the long run to help avoiding plateauing in size because you have no strength base. This is also dependent on the intensity you are working at.
    • As mentioned before, intensity and volume are closely related. They have an inverted relationship. This means as one goes up, the other should go down. So if you are doing a very high volume day, the intensity should drop accordingly.
    • On the other hand, if you are doing a very high intensity day – like working at 90% of your max – the volume should drop accordingly.
    Examples of How to Implement Progressive Overload

Specific Examples. Here is a list of methods you can use to achieve progressive overload:
    1. Increase Resistance. This is the most obvious way of practicing progressive overload. Add more weight once you are ready for a particular exercise. You can do it when, for example, whatever you are currently lifting becomes easy. A good way to determine if you are ready is if you are able to do an extra rep or two. (For All Levels of Experience)
    2. Increase Repetitions. Adding one or two reps to whatever exercise you're doing is also a good way to test yourself. You can use a spotter and if you are able to add 2 reps on your own, you'll know that it is time to up the resistance for that particular exercise. (For All Levels of Experience)
    3. Increase Sets. Increasing the number of sets you perform is also a great way to improve muscle endurance. You can add one set which will essentially fatigue the muscle completely. (For All Levels of Experience)
    4. Increase Frequency. Be careful with this one; ensure that your body is ready to increase from the usual once a week to slightly more frequently. Truthfully, every individual is different and you know your body best, and what works best for you. (For Advanced Lifters)
    5. Add Exercises. Adding exercises to the program that target the same muscle groups can be useful, especially if you are trying to improve the size of a particular muscle or improve proportionality. (For Intermediate and Advanced Lifters)
    6. Improved Effort. This is a psychological factor that really works. It means increasing your perception of the effort you have to put into each set. (For All Levels of Experience)
    7. Decrease Rest. This refers to the time you take between sets – usually rest time is 90 seconds, and this can be shortened which forces the muscles to do more work in less time. (For Advanced Lifters)
    Going to Failure vs. Progressive Overload

There is a difference between going to failure and progressive overload. Very simply, going to failure each training session will not provide the best results. You might feel good for a short time, notice improvements in size and strength, but very quickly, it will decline.
    This is because while the practice of going to failure can be helpful as a part of a larger program, it is physically far too taxing on almost any lifter.
    It does not allow for proper recovery and is the equivalent of maxing out every single session. The symptoms of over-training are inevitable.
    Final Word

Keeping these tips and techniques in mind will give your training an edge. Seeing yourself improve at the most efficient rate possible will be a great motivator to keep yourself going, especially on those days when you just don't want to go to the gym.
    Good luck and train safely!

I agree with a lot of this, just food for discussion....
  34. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.47%

Matt... I am very confused as to why he would be feeling tired and lethargic as you describe... I mean lets get a little more history about your friend... is this his first time back in the gym in a few weeks??? Is he a regular to the gym? Has he changed his diet (less sugar &/or fat)? What is his normal sleep cycle (hours of sleep/night), has his sleep cycle changed any? Is he under and kind of emotional distress? I mean there are tons of factors that can cause what you are saying and I'm not saying it is impossible, just based on other's reports and how it was designed and the ingredients, it is unlikely!
    The compound is not known for lethargy that I know of, 1-test was like that at times but the lethargy would not likely kick in so fast, which does seem to point to other causes...
  35. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  229 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.53%

Let me ask him. Hardcore gym nut. Been working out, nothing changed in his life. Eats very clean, has less then 8% BF. Did not go out or drink and got normal sleep. He has been on the real stuff years back and is also very confused as why this is occuring. I will try to find out more and keep everyone posted. When he woke up and this entire morning he said he was very tired and coffee wouldnt even help

On a positive note, he says he likes it so far even though it is only 3 days. His workouts have been going well
  36. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.47%

Let me ask him. Hardcore gym nut. Been working out, nothing changed in his life. Eats very clean, has less then 8% BF. Did not go out or drink and got normal sleep. He has been on the real stuff years back and is also very confused as why this is occuring. I will try to find out more and keep everyone posted. When he woke up and this entire morning he said he was very tired and coffee wouldnt even help

On a positive note, he says he likes it so far even though it is only 3 days. His workouts have been going well
    Ok maybe it does kick in that early ... wow. That being said lethargy is a possiblity with anabolics, everyonne is dfferent. Tell hime maybe to add some Pure Test while on, might help perk him up a bit. I miss 4ad for this reason, but it was a bit wet.
  37. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.84%

You tell him to take that sand out of his Vagina and "Man-Up" Nahh, LoL, just kidding, but this is weird and I would like to get to the bottom of this. I know for a fact that the guys in the office who are taking it, I asked them and none of them about 5-6 guys are feeling any sort of Lethargy and they are all on week 3 (mid wk 3).

I will say this, if he is really 8% BF, he would make for an excellent, excellent test subject as to how well he does on this cycle, I sure wish he was on here LOGGING it for us! Keep us informed of what he says and possibly see if you can talk him into coming on here and starting a LOG, there is not a single LOG on this yet, he would have one of the most popular LOGs on this forum!!!

Also, tell your buddy my work email address is scottydoc@redefinenutrition.co m and I always respond in 24hrs or less if he has any questions or concerns and would like to reach me personally!
    www.finaflex.com
  38. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  229 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.53%

You tell him to take that sand out of his Vagina and "Man-Up" Nahh, LoL, just kidding, but this is weird and I would like to get to the bottom of this. I know for a fact that the guys in the office who are taking it, I asked them and none of them about 5-6 guys are feeling any sort of Lethargy and they are all on week 3 (mid wk 3).

I will say this, if he is really 8% BF, he would make for an excellent, excellent test subject as to how well he does on this cycle, I sure wish he was on here LOGGING it for us! Keep us informed of what he says and possibly see if you can talk him into coming on here and starting a LOG, there is not a single LOG on this yet, he would have one of the most popular LOGs on this forum!!!

Also, tell your buddy my work email address is scottydoc@redefinenutrition.co m and I always respond in 24hrs or less if he has any questions or concerns and would like to reach me personally!
    Will do. Yes he might even be lower then 8%. He played ball with me and is shredded. I will give him the info guys. Thanks

He will keep me posted. I will ask him about a log, but being a coach/teacher with a 6 month old, I know time is of the essence.

Thanks again guys, and I will keep yall posted. I will most likely do a log during my cycle.
  39. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.84%

Will do. Yes he might even be lower then 8%. He played ball with me and is shredded. I will give him the info guys. Thanks

He will keep me posted. I will ask him about a log, but being a coach/teacher with a 6 month old, I know time is of the essence.

Thanks again guys, and I will keep yall posted. I will most likely do a log during my cycle.
    Thanx Matt... any and all information is most appreciated! And as always, DreamWeaver and I are here to answer any and all FINAFLEX related questions to the best of our ability and if we don't know the answer we will find out ASAP!!!
    www.finaflex.com
  40. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.47%

Thanx Matt... any and all information is most appreciated! And as always, DreamWeaver and I are here to answer any and all FINAFLEX related questions to the best of our ability and if we don't know the answer we will find out ASAP!!!
    Seconded...

Similar Forum Threads

1. Breaking News: PP has discontinued ALL pro-hormones!
    By Rosie Chee in forum Company Promotions
    Replies: 213
    Last Post: 10-19-2010, 11:42 AM
  2. BREAKING NEWS: SNS Releases 7 NEW PRODUCTS!
    By warbird01 in forum Serious Nutrition Solutions
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 10-06-2010, 04:25 AM
  3. Breaking News from RPN!
    By Jason Pegg in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 08-23-2007, 01:26 PM