Stuck at squats

Rodel

Awards
So I've been lifting (more like working out) for about 3 years now, and lifting seriously for the past year and a half. I have been trying to bring my numbers up but no matter how hard I try I can't squat past 325 for one rep to save my life. This is weird because I can hit 315 for sets of 5 and some days 6-7. I've done everything from taking a Deload week to switching my programming to squat more than twice a week. It just pisses me off that all my other lifts are shooting up while my squat remains stagnant. Any help or advice would be appreciated

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
What programming have you used the past few months with the stall?

Are you eating in a surplus here?

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What program are you running?

If you are squatting 315 for multiples prior to 325+ then its not going to be easy. If i wanted a 335 single, id do:

45x10
135x5
185x5
225x3-5
275x3
315x1
335x1

Or something similar...

Rodel

Awards
Honestly I sorta fell out of programming and just went with what I feel for the day. For instance if it's legs I'll hit squats first, it it felt good I would go heavy, if not then I would just stick with 225-275 for reps but lately on leg day, due to frustration I've been trying to go balls to the wall heavy. Actually looking somewhat similar to what you just posted except I usually skip 185 and 275 and just go up by plates

Rodel

Awards
Driven2lift I am eating a surplus, I weigh roughly 190 and consume close to 3200 calories a day mainly protein and fat, less carbs because I feel bloated and groggy when I eat more than 220 grams

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't think nutrition is the problem to what you posted. Lack of programming and weight choice is. Don't jump plates, that's 90# jumps. And don't do high reps leading into a max single. That will cause muscle fatigue.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Without calculating the 1RM, I see no reason why you aren't at 365-385 for a single

Rodel

Awards
So any suggestions for what I could do other than not skipping plates and ditching the high rep warm ups to push past this damn barrier? I mean one day I got it for two reps but I never counted it because my buddy let me borrow knee sleeves and I felt like a cheater. Never did that again though

stock28

Awards
  • Established
That doesn't even make sense. Big difference between a set of 5 and a heavy single but that's only 10 pounds. Has to be a mental thing. Can you get 320 for several reps? I too would think at least 350 should be no problem for a single.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sleeves aren't cheating. They only warm your knees and make you feel like they're more supported. Wraps give assistance, but aren't cheating either. It's a wrapped squat.

Other than not skipping plates and ditching high rep warm ups?

No. Thats what's holding you back for an increased max single.

Rodel

Awards
Oh and sorry that my math sucks, I meant 365, don't know why I was thinking 325 stock28 good catch

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Even if you go back to 5x5, going for a max single won't happen after 5x5-your max 5's. Next day you feel strong stick to the numbers I posted and see what happens.

Rodel

Awards
Will do! It's legs today, so I'll try again and post a vid if I get it. Will try the sleeves again as well. It could be my form, but any advice or criticism would be helpful

cyrix

cyrix

Awards
When I get stuck I add partials/Anderson squats about 250 over what I'm shooting for. So for you partials at 580 - 585. That has always worked for me.

Rodel

Awards
cyrix so half reps or putting the pins just where my knees hit 90? Not sure what you mean but I'm open to it

Rodel

Awards
Trying to post a video of last night but it won't let me til I reach 100 posts, barely at 88. But the vid will be up once I get there

cyrix

cyrix

Awards
cyrix so half reps or putting the pins just where my knees hit 90? Not sure what you mean but I'm open to it
Half (even quarter initially until you're used to the weight) and start from the pins bottom dead stopped on the spotter arms. Anything over 200-250 over your actual squat though is useless to an extent and you're not helping yourself.

Rodel

Awards
Need nine more posts to put up the video so here I go

stock28

Awards
  • Established
Not one to agree with partial squats. As I said there's a big difference between a set of 5 and feeling the weight of a heavy single on your back. In my powerlifting days we always did sets of 5 in the off season. As a meet approached we worked up in weight and dropped the reps down to 4 then 3 then 2 to get use to the weight. Strength to do a set of 5 and strength to max doesn't always equate.

Rodel

Awards
Hmm that makes sense. So maybe add 10-15 lbs over what I get for five reps and try for sets of 4. And repeat every month by adding weight but reducing reps til I get a new 1RM then starting back over with an increased 5RM?

Rodel

Awards
So 5x5 315 one month
5x4 325 next month
5x3 335
5x2 345
5x1 355
Then back to
5x5 325
Essentially?

stock28

Awards
  • Established
Yes but no reason to spend a month at the same weight. If you can get five sets of five at 315 jump to the next step until your get your sets. May take a week or a couple just keep pushing. Just remember doubles and triples will take a toll on your body. Everyone likes to know what there max is but unless your training for a meet it's really not that important. It's brutal on your body.

Rodel

Awards
I'm going to try and apply this to my training and see if it helps

stock28

Awards
  • Established
Just pay attention to your body. Heavy weights and low reps will cause your strength to peak at some point and strength will drop. Have to know when to back off to fully let your body recover.

Rodel

Awards
Would probably be best since I always shoot to go heavy