Progression and persistence

Page 2 of 6 First 1234 ... Last
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  156 lbs.
    Answers

This is an inspiring thread, good work! Could you detail the kind of routine you train on when using olympic lifts/strength based training?

Thanks

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Answers

I apologize for not keeping up latley. I am moving into my first house. I'll update soon.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Answers

It has been a while since I have updated my thread. I apologize for that. I bought my first house! between moving, work, and fixing up a few things I have been busy. I have finally got my internet connected, so I do not have to refrain to my phone to get my Anabolic Minds fix.

First I would like to thank Genomyx for making me a part of their team!

Just to fill in were I am at I have been bulking. Trying to keep it lean but life seems to get in the way sometimes. My strength is actually down due to not being able to train 100% for the last 6 weeks or so. I have found a gym by me that seems to be a perfect fit! it is more of a hard core dungeon style gym I walked in today and they had metal blasting, I felt at home! Even though my strength is down my muscles seem bigger and more full, It is most likely due to switching from a calorie deficit to a surplus. I am sitting at 190 weighed first thing in the morning.

On another note, I started doing regular deadlifts again. I am playing with my routine but It looks like I will be starting the week with heavy deads and leg press, and later in the week I will be doing heavy squats and Romanian deads. Other leg exercises will be done both days on a play it by how I feel and how much time i have left basis.

Highlights of my week (2nd real week training hard again after my break)

squats 405 x 5 for a few sets really disappointed in this, this is my biggest loss of strength on any lift.
    Dreads... I mean Deads! I got 405 x 2 for 3 sets. not impressive by most standards but I have not done these in years, I contribute my excessive squatting for being able to even get 405!
    Bench I actually got 315 x 3 for a set... Which is what I was getting on a really good day. (failed 335 after..)
    Snatches I stayed at 135 x 8 for 5 sets, It felt heavy to even do this.
    Military press I did 10 sets of 10 with 135 at a slow pace

I am not impressed with myself, I am not as lean nor strong. My goal is to be strong and lean. I have a lot of work ahead of me and I will use My thread to continue to track my progress. I will post pictures as soon as i dig the cords out of what ever box they are packed in!
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Answers

As I have been using this thread as my personal progress thread I would like to make a long overdue update.

I have just finished what i will call my first "responsible bulk" at one point during this (completely glycogen loaded mind you) I weighed 198.8.

I fell short of some prs this year during my bulking but i stayed really lean... I may have not gained fat?
    A little story. I purchased my first house 7 months ago and took a huge hit to my training. I spent 100s+ hours doing renovation work (which I am new at) this included several cases of beer, pizzas, and little training or sleep. Also I live alone with only my two pups (Bronson my wonderful Pit bull and Sloan my Beagle the sweetest dog you'll meet) My grocery bill has developed a limit which has worked out to mean I eat Very clean but eat the same meals over and over. My diet has very little variety.

I checked out the local gyms and found The Iron Asylum... The owner is one of the most knowledgeable strength trainers I have ever personally talked to. He has certifications from West Side Barbell (and others posted on the wall) I walk in to Iron Maiden... And knew I was home!!! ( My plan was to 1 week free trail every place around... NOPE!) This place has Atlas stone set ups, all the chains, bands, boards, and monolifts a power lifter would dream of. Pictures of power lifters signed sitting next to signed pictures of many body builders very famous today. The owner and Jay Cutler with a signed note. (not a Jay fan but its cool).

This gym moved.. from about 3 mins from my house with traffic to approx 15 mins... I was not sure if it was going to be worth it but they promised the new facility would be mind blowing... The old was just used weightes with all the things men want to lift... lots of squat racks...
    The new facility... Mind Blowing!!!! (IF YOU LIVE IN THE CLEVELAND AREA CHECK OUT THE IRON ASYLUM!!!!!)

What do I like?... (
    Thank you for asking)
    -a surplus of chain hookups and chains of all different weights and lengths, out and ready to use.
    -most squat racks and benches have band hook ups ( so you dont need to run them under which can cause balance/ resistance differences)
    -Surplus of bands all lengths and sizes, out and ready to use.
    -approx 15yard width x 40 yard length turf strip ( Tires, Push Sleds, Pull Sleds, and Box jump set ups out and ready to use!
    -dumbells go to 180 lbs the other set approx 140? (ill have to confirm this.)
    -3 squat racks and a mono lift, plus 2 of the racks have monolift setup things (hooks that act like a monolift and pull back as you unrack the bar)
    -several benches and dead lift platforms, with band hook ups. )
    - When I train I may share the facility with 6 or less people, no highschool children, no girls with make up, we are there to train!
    -No pools, sauna, basketball courts, and other things I dont want to pay for. I have a treadmill at home, I run outside anyways, and my gym costs are cheap!
    -Many various sizes and lengths of heavy ropes (I call the exercise the wave, Its whole body and I feel like a ****ing Silver Back ground and pounding his opponent!!!!!)
    -Sledge Hammer to hit tires.
    -all the funny shaped bars that I see used in Strong Man comps. (Looks like a metal log with handles and a place for plates...)

My training has gone nuts, Thank you Genomyx for Protocol and Glycemyx. I am at the gym approx 50-65 hours a week this does not include regular runs (with the dogs only around 3 miles x 3-5 times a week)
    RPM @ 2 caps + .5g PLCAR is my work out of choice, Cordygen VO2 if I can afford to add it! (1 hour pre)
    1:1 Glycemyx:Whey on they Whey to the gym (see what i did there?)
    Intra is Protocol + .5g PLCAR, 1.6g extra BA, 3g DCM,
    Post 2:1 ratio Whey:Glycemyx. Big meal after shower and getting ready for work. (45 - 50 mins later)
    Higher protein, Moderate clean Carb, low fat diet.

How well am I doing???
    Clean (pr) 275 (consistent from week to week but never better, I tried though!) improvement
    Bench 315x4 or 223 (x160 band resistance at the peak) x3 of 3 Old PR 315 x 5 or 365 x 1 but...bench only works ego! I look fine
    squat 315 (x 160lbs of chains at top + chain hook ups) x 14 (this I warmed up and only did this 1 working set, it was everything i had) n/a
    Deads (i am NOT known for loving this exercise, but i do now!!) 315 (plus approx 160 band resistance at peak) for 8 of 8 (raw grip) n/a
    Box jumps (very new and spend weeks on form alone.) 46" (I was able to do this repeatedly but did not attempt higher) n/a
    snatch 185 (3 sets of 1 for PR ) Equal PR but able to hit it 3 times. (snatch is not the work out I get carried away with the weight)
    Clean for reps (with straps) 225 x 12 huge PR (straps change everything... also my breathing and rhythm work)
    Muscle ups 6, 5, 3 (pullup-to-dip..pull up from dead hang and end with the bar at your thighs.. Explosive work out? I like doing them )

Name:  IMG_1619.JPG
Views: 313
Size:  190.0 KB

This is me at 186 lbs. Those lifts were accomplished recently. My focus has become explosive strength, applicable strength, and over all fitness ( I also want to look good lets be honest..) Let me get a training partner as I am new, Ill have vids like a Mormon has wives.

Edit: I am just starting to cut, right now maintain weight and strength I have. Develop more if possible. I will Slowly cut trying to perserve STRENGTH (not muscle but that is welcome).
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  241 lbs.
    Answers

Good to hear from you, bro... Nice work with all the big lifts. I'm still impressed.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Answers

good read fellas and inspiring
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Name:  !.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  131.0 KB

I notice as I get older I progress in strength, endurance, and training intensity but I just can not afford the clean calories it takes to gain a good deal of size. My goal was always 200 and lean but now its realistically more like 190 lean (not glycogen loaded or anything just 190 as a consistent weight)
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  241 lbs.
    Answers

Costco + natty pb
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Matthersby View Post
    Costco + natty pb
    Costo sells the 2 packs of natty PB as well. It's kinda runny which is awesome because I use it in shakes and oatmeal.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  241 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by MM11

Costo sells the 2 packs of natty PB as well. It's kinda runny which is awesome because I use it in shakes and oatmeal.
    Haha! I do the two-pack also... I have the thing for you, I eat it after every meal except dinner and pre-bedtime.
    Natty pb + oats + agave(couple tablespoons)
    It's like a tasty treat and adds 100's of calories per meal and its dirt cheap
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Just some updates...
    Attached Images Attached Images   
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Lats are slacking. Need to bring up the balance. But not a shabby place to start cutting from.
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334116771.604780.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  28.5 KB
    Those chains estimates at 40lbs each.. All 4 of them. Not
    Counting the chains they are strung on.

Box was set up at 42 inches. Not a Max jump by any means. Just high enough that explosive strength is needed to complete the jump. 6 sets of 8-12 worked in through out the workout.

No idea on the bands. But awesome for getting my "clean" up.
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334155738.976987.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  34.9 KB
    Lower abs are starting to make an appearance.

I also stopped stepping on a scale everyday. It's really pointless to me right now. Strength and the mirror will be the ultimate guide.
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  241 lbs.
    Answers

I hate scales. I only use it at work and it irritates me every time.
  16. Registered User
    Answers

Very impressive man, good work!
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  218 lbs.
    Answers

Dude I'm impressed, great job!
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Answers

dude I want your gym!!!! its sick!!! where is that?
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by madds87 View Post
    dude I want your gym!!!! its sick!!! where is that?
    It just moved and the owner is certified in westside barbell. It's called the iron asylum. It's actually pretty cheap. Just weights. A few treadmills but no pool or basketball court or anything I have to pay upkeep on.

We are getting tires and hammers. The coolest thing is they leave the chains and bands by the squat rack not behind the desk.
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  185 lbs.
    Answers

Very nice and inspirational
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by MM11

It just moved and the owner is certified in westside barbell. It's called the iron asylum. It's actually pretty cheap. Just weights. A few treadmills but no pool or basketball court or anything I have to pay upkeep on.

We are getting tires and hammers. The coolest thing is they leave the chains and bands by the squat rack not behind the desk.
    this is what gyms need to be all about..... i need to make one of these
  22. Registered User
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

Great work here! Great abs. You could wash some clothes on those things. Washboard for sure. Keep going!
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Answers

Damn man how do you drop so many lbs and keep your upper body size?
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Dyou View Post
    Damn man how do you drop so many lbs and keep your upper body size?
    My training style is much more than bodybuilding related. I basically looked at all training styles and took what I like over the years. It consists of...
    Powerlifting
    Bodybuilding
    Martial arts / Wrestling
    Polymerrics
    5/3/1
    DC
    Football style strength programs
    Rugby work outs
    Some gymnastics/ghetto work out (yoube it)
    Olympic and explosive training.

I gained muscle slowly over years. It has matured and won't just disappear in a month. When it comes down to it diet. Diet. Diet. No one likes the answer. Find YOUR diet. I eat carbs when cutting sometimes before bed but not usually. I basically got to know my body over the years.
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Lower abs... Always the last to go
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  172 lbs.
    Answers

Subd great job so far!
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  185 lbs.
    Answers

Motivating pics and great progress!
  28. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Any estimate on body fat. I would like to say 10% but I feel 12% is being honest. Maybe more.
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  241 lbs.
    Answers

C'mon bro... Lets be real.. I haven't seen any pic of you that was >10%
  30. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Slow and steady work.
  31. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Leg day!
    Fasted weight 175lbs. This will be 180+once I break fast

Caliber bf test by gym trainer came out to something like 9.89 I remember rounding up to 9.9 but didn't write down the exact # this was pre work out

Heavy squats... I knew I wouldn't be able to hit the 500 anymore. I have been doing chains, out the hole, widow makers, and odd variations of squats to avoid seeing how much strength I lost..

Worked up to a 475x1. I hear the same 2 comments every time I squat. Great depth and keep my head up.

475= 2.71x my bw or 300lbs+ bw. Not shabby.

The rest of my work out consisted of sled pushing and banded dead lift. Lots of sets some supersets. Working deads up to a 1rm. Not sure the weight with all the change and bands on the bar. Don't really care for today either.

Ended blasting calves, also did sets for calves all work out.
  32. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Answers

4 more weeks till summer.
  33. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Definitely in for this, should've holla at me with this thread before
    Hybrid Performance Nutrition
    GetHybrid.net
    U.S. ARMY MP(CID)
  34. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Good to have you. My goals are basically strong and lean. I want to be in ninja like shape and abilities someday...
  35. Senior Member
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'1"  245 lbs.
    Answers

You can't just go around 'shopping your head onto my body.
    HYBRID Performance Nutrition
    Mike ~ R/D
  36. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
    You can't just go around 'shopping your head onto my body.
    Very funny but we both know you photoshop your body onto my head!
  37. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Answers

At this point I am going to have to declare all out war to get rid of that lower ab fat. Results will be slower.

When I finish my bottle of Abliterate advance I will switch to Eviscerate to assist in spot reduction.
  38. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Best work out ever.

Squats 7 sets working up to 405. Took it easy because I hurt my neck and ankle in my rugby game this past weekend

Dead lifts (with bands)
    7 sets working up to 315 on the bar plus 4 total bands. I was told this equaled around 430 on the ground and 540-560 depending how tall the person is at the top. By far a pr (315 plus Bands is the pr)

Yoke walk worked up to 400+ lbs @ 30-40 yards. I had 380 in weights and no idea how heavy the set up is. It is way more than 20lbs.

POST work out weight 175.5 I usually weigh myself first thing leg day but forgot.
  39. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Doing it like a boss
    Hybrid Performance Nutrition
    GetHybrid.net
    U.S. ARMY MP(CID)
  40. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Answers

The yoke walk bar is 122. Making what I carried 502 (above)

Also did board press today and got 340 @ 2 boards. 2x bw!
    350@ 3 boards.

Lame updates but life is happening fast. . .
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. the one(5 week progression)
    By alwaysgaining in forum Pics
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-11-2012, 07:55 PM
  2. progression log
    By underboss22 in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-12-2009, 02:07 PM
  3. 1.5 Year Progression
    By OCCFan023 in forum Pics