Just started Jujistu

zbtboy

zbtboy

Anabolic Innovations Rep
Awards
  • Established
Last night was my first time doing jujitsu (traditional) and I figured why not make a post here asking some basic questions for all you MMA guys to answer.

First, how long does it take before your wrists and forearms get used to the beating they take? Last night I learned the basic breakfalls (already knew a couple of them) and then learned some basic wrist locks. This morning I woke up with my wrists feeling like they got pounded with a hammer, and my forearms and outer legs are sore from hitting the mat so many times. Now i can deal with your average soreness, but when I was doing reverse curls at the gym today my right wrist gave out and my overall grip strength wasnt were it usually is.

Also, I've been looking for some good websites concerning JJ and so far I'm mostly coming accross sites that are pushing some product or another. If anyone could give me some links (or names of some good books) I'd really appreciate it.

Much thanks in advance fellas!

-Z

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just to clarify, are you doing Japanese Jiu-Jitsu with a gi? I only ask b/c BJJ does not focus on wristlocks or breakfalls.

karategirl

karategirl

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
You are going to wake up with aches and pains that you have never felt before :)
It will take time both for your body to adjust and for you to learn to tap sooner and use less strength and resistance.
Once you learn to flow and roll, it starts to get fun :)
My first six months were full of injuries, as I was fighting everything that was put on me, but now I just free flow roll and I train over 15 hours a week of jiu jitsu with no soreness or injury.

size

Awards
  • Established
Wristlocks are not fun and I am not sure if you ever get accustomed to the discomfort.

What are you trying to find on the internet?

Best of luck with your training. It is lots of fun especially once everything starts fitting together.

zbtboy

zbtboy

Anabolic Innovations Rep
Awards
  • Established
Just to clarify, are you doing Japanese Jiu-Jitsu with a gi? I only ask b/c BJJ does not focus on wristlocks or breakfalls.
Yup.

Size,

I'm looking for a good JJ site that has good information on technique, terminology, etc etc. I've been looking through ultimatejujitso.com and it has some good stuff, but the more info I can get my hands on the better.

I appreciate the responses everyone!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yup.

Size,

I'm looking for a good JJ site that has good information on technique, terminology, etc etc. I've been looking through ultimatejujitso.com and it has some good stuff, but the more info I can get my hands on the better.

I appreciate the responses everyone!
subfighter.com has tons of info about practically every position in JJ.

MisterEZE

Awards
  • Established
subfighter.com has tons of info about practically every position in JJ.
beat me to it!!

don't be too proud to tap early. you'll get accustomed to the aches and pains...weight training will suffer for a bit. have fun and best of luck!!

zbtboy

zbtboy

Anabolic Innovations Rep
Awards
  • Established
beat me to it!!

don't be too proud to tap early. you'll get accustomed to the aches and pains...weight training will suffer for a bit. have fun and best of luck!!
Yeah, I'm only in it to learn and have fun so I'll be tapping when I need to. I appreciate the advice!

brass monkey

brass monkey

Awards
  • Established
Congrats on your new path, as mentioned above so much forearm use pushing, pulling, and gripping of the GI mine were like jello. Watch out when you begin to roll one and two year students will be licking there chops for fresh meat. For me it was very humbling to get taped bye someone who had less strength or athletic ability it doesnt take long for your technique to come around and you hold your own.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Small Circle Jujitsu by Wally Jay is a good book to pickup IMO.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Hey BP, finally got this in the mail yesterday. Very good so far! thanks for recommendation.

NP. Been incorporating some of his stuff into my Kajukenbo training for a while now. Good stuff.

wikiphenomena

wikiphenomena

Awards
Train your wrist man. In Jiu Jitsu, forearm strength will take you far. Martial arts is, or at least should be, painful in the beginning.

There is plenty of info out there on BJJ techniques, however, (and I can't stress this enough) MASTER THE BASICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Jujitsu is for tactical norisk pussies. Stand up is for real men, punch and kick and get the same in return, nothing like the sting and taste of blood in your mouth from a strike to awaken the Predator in you.

Irish480

Awards
Why are you doing wristlocks your first day??? Most of the time you aren't allowed to do them in tournaments until you're a bluebelt.

Irish480

Awards
Jitisu is for tactical norisk pussies. Stand up is for real men, punch and kick and get the same in return, nothing like the sting and taste of blood in your mouth from a strike to awaken the Predator in you.
Wanna fight?

zbtboy

zbtboy

Anabolic Innovations Rep
Awards
  • Established
Why are you doing wristlocks your first day??? Most of the time you aren't allowed to do them in tournaments until you're a bluebelt.
I'm not training to do JJ tourny's nor is anyone else in the class. Most of the guys are primarily Judo competitors trying to improve their submissions and such. (And yes I'm aware that a lot of JJ moves are illegal in Judo). Others are there for self defense.

Eventually I'll move into the judo classes and will start competing but until the end of the summer I wont have time.

Irish480

Awards
hmm... personally I think you should enter a good amount of tournaments after a few months of training, I have learned more from tournaments than anything.