Frank Mir is looking ripped!

Page 6 of 8 First ... 45678 Last

  1. Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    However, GSP is established and well known, and I don't know if I can yet sign off on innate preferences, having a notable influence on how much respect GSP receives, as an established celebrity.
    He is definitely well-respected, in well-repute, and a celebrity; however, he would have more of these things were he American. My favorite quote from a sportscaster is, "Americans will watch sports they care nothing about just to see if an American is winning". This can be seen in [say] Tennis, where you have two of the greatest players to ever live - Nadal and Federer - whose battles still receiving less mainstream coverage than Sampras and Agassi, despite their superior play and historical significance.

    Secondly, and this is anecdotal, so the validity of this example is of course questionable. Anyone I've ever held an MMA conversation with, friends and strangers alike, either have GSP described as the top dog of his division, pound for pound in the UFC, unstoppable or some form of utter reverence. I don't know how our media portrays him, but as far as "the people," I've yet to meet someone who doesn't have GSP placed in the top 3 of deadliest and most dominant fighters. I consider that plenty of reputation and respect. However, as I mentioned, this is anecdotal to my experience and my surroundings.
    No, I definitely agree, but this is only of late, and after a [comparatively] greater set of achievements than, say, Chuck Liddell. For whatever reason, people tend to disrespect French Canadians, mostly because their attitude, accent and demeanor is so affable. [see: your friend that hates GSP for nothing more than his Van-Damme-esque accent.] Consider his reign since A. Silva came into the UFC, S.

    Over a span of nine fights, and twenty-nine rounds, GSP has lost - depending on the judge you speak to - two rounds [!]: the TKO loss to Matt Serra, and a round [...or two...] to BJ Penn. Of those nine fights, five were against current or former champions - BJ Penn [x2], Hughes [x2], Serra [x1] - and each of his opponents, aside from Serra, was ranked as one of the top three WWs in the world [not just the UFC]. And since GSP began dominating - say, after Hughes I - he has cleared one of the most dominant divisions in MMA history, in respects to sheer talent. (The only division that really compares is PRIDE HW division from 2003-R.I.P., with Hunt, Cro-Cop, Nog, Barnett, Coleman, Randleman, and, of course, Fee-aye-Dyor.) Beyond a doubt, this is one of the most dominant streaks in MMA history, and he is only now being considered in that top three by the casual fan - as you know, true fans have known this for years. That is more or less what I meant: a relative comparison of achievement to fame.

    Man, writing that makes me want to write a, "Silva v., GSP: By the Numbers" article, really comparing how stratospherically more dominant GSP has been than the Spider. (In his reign, Spider has lost rounds against Henderson, Lutter, and Cote, has faced only two former champions, and several of his opponents were not ranked in the top five MW rankings; and this is in addition to the MW division of the UFC being the sickly brother.)

    And no, he would never be Tiger Woods status. That wasn't my point, though!


  2. Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    I feel the import of sear's argument is this: if GSP were an American, he would receive both more repute and due respect. In my estimation, this tends to be true, both in the context of MMA, and other sports. To say GSP does not receive more adoration due to an anti-French sentiment is, as you said, certainly overstated; however, to say he receives less adoration due to being a non-American is nothing more or less than a truth backed by a certain consistency in the sports-historic record.

    For an instantiation of this, one need look no further than the Akiyama/Belcher fight: you had, for an appreciable period, the crowd chanting "U-S-A" whenever Belcher would mount an offense. The reason, of course, was not necessarily that the crowed preferred "Belcher" over "Akiyama"; but rather, that Belcher was an American, and Akiyama was not. The fact that Akiyama is Asian and Belcher is American is entirely incidental to the outcome of the fight, and even further secondary to the manner in which that outcome is reached, but Americans tend to ignore this in the face of outward patriotism; as a result, the fighters which they tend to support and/or glamorize and/or adore is often implicitly, if not explicitly, based on their nationality.

    As well, one has to understand my perspective is a relative one, not an absolute one - that is, fame relative to achievement. Put otherwise: given the exact same set of achievements, GSP's fame, reputation, and status as a fighter would all be heightened had he been born an American. For example, 90% of Americans who knew what MMA was felt Chuck Liddell was not only the best 205'er in the world, but the best P4P fighter in the world. Now, this is due in part to a confluence of factors, his nationality only being one of them; obviously, though, his status as an American and the lack of obscurity resultant thereof propelled him to these heights. To say that, all things equal, Americans prefer Americans to non-Americans, is just a fact.
    Searl guys Searl, as in pearl, squirl.....

    never heard the name Sear before.
    •   
       


  3. Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    No, I definitely agree, but this is only of late, and after a [comparatively] greater set of achievements than, say, Chuck Liddell.
    For the record, I never partook in the Chunk The Ice Cream Man Lidell testicular tire swinging. I never liked him. This has nothing to do with anything apart from my own vindication

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    [see: your friend that hates GSP for nothing more than his Van-Damme-esque accent.] Consider his reign since.
    I'm not sure which BFF you're referring to, but I do recall that post, and maybe I co-signed the legitimacy of his logic at the time Seriously though, maybe it's the whole social gumbo atmosphere of Southern California, where its too diverse to really "notice" people of Non-American roots, so my friends and my environment find GSP's French-Canadian'ism quite a non-issue. Our county's mayor gives speeches in Spanish regularly, I mean c'mon. Apart from SoCal, I suppose I can't project and presume our cultural mentality upon the other states.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    Over a span of nine fights, and twenty-nine rounds, GSP has lost - depending on the judge you speak to - two rounds [!]: the TKO loss to Matt Serra, and a round [...or two...] to BJ Penn. Of those nine fights, five were against current or former champions - BJ Penn [x2], Hughes [x2], Serra [x1] - and each of his opponents, aside from Serra, was ranked as one of the top three WWs in the world [not just the UFC]. And since GSP began dominating - say, after Hughes I - he has cleared one of the most dominant divisions in MMA history, in respects to sheer talent. (The only division that really compares is PRIDE HW division from 2003-R.I.P., with Hunt, Cro-Cop, Nog, Barnett, Coleman, Randleman, and, of course, Fee-aye-Dyor.) Beyond a doubt, this is one of the most dominant streaks in MMA history, and he is only now being considered in that top three by the casual fan - as you know, true fans have known this for years. That is more or less what I meant: a relative comparison of achievement to fame.
    Two rounds to BJ Penn and yes, a moment of silence to our beloved Pride FC.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    And no, he would never be Tiger Woods status. That wasn't my point, though!
    This would be the heart of our dis-congruence. You're arguing GSP would be a "bigger" star then he is, were he American born. That wasn't my point, but I'll concede to that argument. I was arguing that whether GSP was born in the heart of Texas, were a part time bull rider who line danced into the octagon, had his own line of BBQ steak sauce and fought out of The Confederacy fight camp, he still wouldn't be "One of America's Top Athletes," due to the lack of popularity of MMA as a sport, in comparison to our big three, basketball, baseball, football. Once MMA fighters start having Nike commercials, then we can re-open this case.
    NSCA - CSCS

  4. Quote Originally Posted by searl12 View Post
    Searl guys Searl, as in pearl, squirl.....

    never heard the name Sear before.
    LOL
    NSCA - CSCS

  5. Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    I'm not sure which BFF you're referring to, but I do recall that post, and maybe I co-signed the legitimacy of his logic at the time Seriously though, maybe it's the whole social gumbo atmosphere of Southern California, where its too diverse to really "notice" people of Non-American roots, so my friends and my environment find GSP's French-Canadian'ism quite a non-issue. Our county's mayor gives speeches in Spanish regularly, I mean c'mon. Apart from SoCal, I suppose I can't project and presume our cultural mentality upon the other states.
    Not entirely sure. We actually both co-opted the logic, so it is valid in a certain light. My point was, more or less, people do not take the French/French-Canadians seriously. You live in a nation that changes the name of food because you dislike the French. I am surprised Americans have not anointed GSP, "George St. American Burger with Fucking Cheese."



    Two rounds to BJ Penn and yes, a moment of silence to our beloved Pride FC.
    One at most, bruv; due inherently to an illegitimate eye-poke.

    This would be the heart of our dis-congruence. You're arguing GSP would be a "bigger" star then he is, were he American born. That wasn't my point, but I'll concede to that argument. I was arguing that whether GSP was born in the heart of Texas, were a part time bull rider who line danced into the octagon, had his own line of BBQ steak sauce and fought out of The Confederacy fight camp, he still wouldn't be "One of America's Top Athletes," due to the lack of popularity of MMA as a sport, in comparison to our big three, basketball, baseball, football. Once MMA fighters start having Nike commercials, then we can re-open this case.
    Haha, I know that was not your point; in fact, I am not so sure it was searl's either! I was just trying to show you the import of searl's post: that GSP would be a larger star had he been born American. You then decided to go all "Mullet" with verbosity and over-technicality.

    •   
       


  6. Agreed, it honestly doesnt evem matter, anyone with a brain Knows GSP is the man, white, black, yellow, brown, yank, canuck,russian...none fckn touches him.

    Personally too Im glad he dethroned the fckn Prck Matt hughes...Dissing my countries foreign policy because we didnt follow you blindly into Iraq, a war which is pointless and has taken almost 6000 americans mens lives.

    ALso in that insult he forgot to mention the fact that Canada followed America into another war in Afghanistan, and other the British have been and always will be Americas Strongest allies.

    On that not RIP to the soldiers who have fallen in the recent offensive. 4 marines today,
    8 Royal marines the day before, and 3 Canadian the day before that.

    Huaa

  7. Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    You live in a nation that changes the name of food because you dislike the French.
    Explain the French Fry good sir! Actually, I don't know who, but someone somewhere (in the south I think) wanted to change French Fries, into something like, Liberty Sticks, haha. Your point reminded me of that. Nonetheless, the people spoke and The French Fry remained.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    One at most, bruv; due inherently to an illegitimate eye-poke.
    That's one hell of an eye poke.



    I'm just kidding, what can you say when GSP's record against Penn is 2-0. I can't win that argument.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    Haha, I know that was not your point; in fact, I am not so sure it was searl's either! I was just trying to show you the import of searl's post: that GSP would be a larger star had he been born American. You then decided to go all "Mullet" with verbosity and over-technicality.

    NSCA - CSCS

  8. Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    Explain the French Fry good sir! Actually, I don't know who, but someone somewhere (in the south I think) wanted to change French Fries, into something like, Liberty Sticks, haha. Your point reminded me of that. Nonetheless, the people spoke and The French Fry remained.
    "Freedom Fries" and "Freedom Toast" is what I was referring to. That wasn't a southern-exclusive, either: I can recall eating in Northwestern NY state when I initially moved to Ontario, and seeing "Freedom Fries" as part of the cuisine. I was taken aback for a second, ha.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    "Freedom Fries" and "Freedom Toast" is what I was referring to. That wasn't a southern-exclusive, either: I can recall eating in Northwestern NY state when I initially moved to Ontario, and seeing "Freedom Fries" as part of the cuisine. I was taken aback for a second, ha.
    No offense because I tried to join the marines and Im a Canuck....but its pretty pathetic to dislike a country just because they dont want to follow you into a pointless unjustified war.

    Once again that has cost almost 6000 american young mens lives.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by searl12 View Post
    No offense because I tried to join the marines and Im a Canuck....but its pretty pathetic to dislike a country just because they dont want to follow you into a pointless unjustified war.

    Once again that has cost almost 6000 american young mens lives.
    Not sure what you mean by this. I am Canadian, and I was pointing to Volcom an instance where Americans dislike[d] the French.

  11. Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    "Freedom Fries" and "Freedom Toast" is what I was referring to. That wasn't a southern-exclusive, either: I can recall eating in Northwestern NY state when I initially moved to Ontario, and seeing "Freedom Fries" as part of the cuisine. I was taken aback for a second, ha.
    Haha, yeah, Freedom Fries, good grief. I can't speak for NY or down south, but as far as So Cal is concerned, all we know are French Fries. Any chance that GSP's celebrity will result in French-Canadian Fries up there?

    GSP Happy Meals will include a pair of bicycle shorts as the toy.
    NSCA - CSCS

  12. Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    Not sure what you mean by this. I am Canadian, and I was pointing to Volcom an instance where Americans dislike[d] the French.
    think about it for 1 second..... what I mean by this is that it is real stupid for a Country (America) to dislike another country(France) because they did not join the US in a pointless war, and that they Veteod it in the U.N.

    I thought it was a clear as day to be honest.

    and "freedon fries" is just plain Pathetic.

  13. Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    Haha, yeah, Freedom Fries, good grief. I can't speak for NY or down south, but as far as So Cal is concerned, all we know are French Fries. Any chance that GSP's celebrity will result in French-Canadian Fries up there?

    GSP Happy Meals will include a pair of bicycle shorts as the toy.
    LOL!

  14. Quote Originally Posted by searl12 View Post
    think about it for 1 second..... what I mean by this is that it is real stupid for a Country (America) to dislike another country(France) because they did not join the US in a pointless war, and that they Veteod it in the U.N.

    I thought it was a clear as day to be honest.
    As did I, but apparently not. You realize I agree with you, correct? You need to read more prior to posting.

  15. Quote Originally Posted by searl12 View Post
    No offense because I tried to join the marines and Im a Canuck....but its pretty pathetic to dislike a country just because they dont want to follow you into a pointless unjustified war.

    Once again that has cost almost 6000 american young mens lives.
    My facts could be off and this has nothing to do defending Matt Hughes' douche-baggery, but I recall a radio personality, who's of the U.S. military perspective, stating that we are in great debt to Canada's military assistance over-seas. He was really giving the Canadian Military the reverence of an un-song hero.
    NSCA - CSCS

  16. Quote Originally Posted by searl12 View Post
    think about it for 1 second..... what I mean by this is that it is real stupid for a Country (America) to dislike another country(France) because they did not join the US in a pointless war, and that they Veteod it in the U.N.

    I thought it was a clear as day to be honest.

    and "freedon fries" is just plain Pathetic.
    Oh, you were referring to the French, I thought you were Canadian, so the "our foreign policies" statement was mistaken on my part.
    NSCA - CSCS

  17. P.S. Matt Hughes does not speak for the whole of American political sentiments. You'd be surprised how many Americans disdain this subject in whole, just as much and even more so then you do.
    NSCA - CSCS

  18. Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    My facts could be off and this has nothing to do defending Matt Hughes' douche-baggery, but I recall a radio personality, who's of the U.S. military perspective, stating that we are in great debt to Canada's military assistance over-seas. He was really giving the Canadian Military the reverence of an un-song hero.
    As they should be, we boar the brunt in Southern Afghanistan until the recent influx of US Marines, the only thing that bothers me is when I speak to most yanks on the internet they insult our military and our contributions...these are the same morons who arent even aware that our military has suffered there, and has sustained over 10 death s there due to friendly fire.....as in U.S friendly fire, not to mention the Fox News report insulting us cause we have to pull out for a few years to re train and re group, like our American Brothers we have suffered more than most and do not deserve to be underestimated or overlooked.

    I know it seems as if Im American Bashing...Im not, I just wish more Americans were educated to things other than their own country.

    Just bear in mind there are no 2 people more alike in the world than Americans and canadians.

    Now back to the MMA, When can we expect Fedor lesner cause im chomping at the bit to see this fight.

    And if anyone lays me 2:1 Ill make a bet on Lesner. Ill take offers now!, ,lol. Dont think I could get layed 3:1

  19. White said he wanted Lesnar, and Fedor said in an Inside MMA, "I think Brock Lesnar would be a challenge". I find this fight interesting for several reasons, but one more than others: eighteen months ago, any "MMA-newb" would have been lambasted for asking this question, but it is now legitimate fodder - put otherwise: I find it interesting people may have to eat crow. This being said, Brock has two challengers - Carwin and Velasquez; though, at the moment, Carwin is more legitimate - that he must defeat in order to garner legitimate consideration against Fee-Ah-Yee-Aye-Oh-Dor.

  20. After nearly getting shafted by CC, I doubt that Dana will be willing to give another unique contract to a fighter.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  21. In regards to the progression of Mullet's, then your (Rodja) post.

    "stop playing with my emotions."
    NSCA - CSCS

  22. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    After nearly getting shafted by CC, I doubt that Dana will be willing to give another unique contract to a fighter.
    True, however: the reports are that a bi-lateral anti-shaft agreement was reached between Loretta and Mirko; apparently, the reign of White-bad cop, Loretta-good cop continues, ala AKA negotiations. I have an inkling we may see Fedor in the UFC, as White's intentions are always difficult to predict [see: Kimbo]. In all honesty, I think White is looking out upon his HW landscape, and realizes imports are necessary to provide viable, multiple contenders.

  23. The UFC paid out $2,190,000 in disclosed salaries and bonuses for Saturday's UFC 100 show, with the victorious Brock Lesnar, Georges St. Pierre, and Dan Henderson taking home just over half of the total. Lesnar and St. Pierre also earn a percentage of the pay-per-view revenue, which isn't reflected in the list below; according to MMA Junkie, Lesnar will make about $3 million from the fight even before the majority of his sponsorship money is tallied. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. The salary figures are below:

    - Brock Lesnar: $400,000 (no win bonus)

    - Georges St. Pierre: $400,000 (includes $200,000 win bonus)

    - Dan Henderson: $350,000 (includes $150,000 win bonus, $100,000 Knockout of the Night bonus)

    - Yoshihiro Akiyama: $160,000 (includes $20,000 win bonus, $100,000 Fight of the Night Bonus)

    - Michael Bisping: $150,000

    - Alan Belcher: $119,000 (includes $100,000 Fight of the Night Bonus)

    - Tom Lawlor: $116,000 (includes $8,000 win bonus, $100,000 Submission of the Night bonus)

    - Mark Coleman: $100,000 (includes $50,000 win bonus)

    - Jon Fitch: $90,000 (includes $45,000 win bonus)

    - Thiago Alves: $60,000

    - Dong Hyun Kim: $58,000 (includes $29,000 win bonus)

    - Frank Mir: $45,000

    - Stephan Bonnar: $25,000

    - Jim Miller: $22,000 (includes $11,000 win bonus)

    - Mac Danzig: $20,000

    - Jon Jones: $18,000 (includes $9,000 win bonus)

    - C.B. Dollaway: $14,000

    - Jake O'Brien: $13,000

    - Shannon Gugerty: $10,000 (includes $5,000 win bonus)

    - Paulo Thiago: $8,000

    - Matt Grice: $7,000

    - T.J. Grant: $5,000

    Underpaid: Frank Mir. $45,000 for an interim belt holder, former champion, and eight-year UFC veteran? It goes to show what Mir is really worth to the UFC, when young stars like Thiago Alves and Michael Bisping are out-earning him. Of course, Jon Jones also needs a big bump in pay after completing his first three UFC fights in memorable fashion.

    Overpaid: Michael Bisping. U.K. poster boy or not, the dude's biggest win leading up to UFC 100 was over Chris Leben, and he wasn't even fighting for a title on Saturday. I wonder if the UFC will ask him to take a pay cut now that his A-list salary looks a little inflated. Meanwhile, the poster boy for the Asian market, Yoshihiro Akiyama, only got $40,000 to show. Maybe Bisping and Akiyama should square off next to determine who deserves what.

    Payoffs from last night.

  24. This kind of stuff irks me, slightly. You have three paragraphs on Hendo - a decent knockout against a fighter nobody considered Top Ten - and Brock; and, on the other hand, three sentences about GSP cementing himself as the top P4P fighter in the world.

    LESNAR HAMMERS HIS WAY TO CREDIBILITY

    Beating Randy Couture to win the UFC heavyweight gold was the most significant moment in his still nascent UFC career. Yet, Brock Lesnar knew that he wouldn’t really be accepted as the best heavyweight in the game until he avenged his loss to former champion Frank Mir.

    Lesnar did that and much more at UFC 100.

    Mir, who openly criticized Lesnar’s ground-and-pound technique heading into the fight, was so dominated in the Saturday night main event that he looked like he had just been jumped by a gang of baseball bat-wielding thugs. It was an emphatic victory by the champion, erasing any doubt as to who is the true champion.

    It is scary to think that Lesnar is only five fights into his MMA career. If he continues with his unbelievable work ethic in the gym, then he may be in the early stages of the most dominant heavyweight run in history. He’s going to continue to improve by leaps and bounds each time out—beginners typically do—and that doesn’t bode well for future title hopefuls Cain Velasquez, Shane Carwin, Cheick Kongo and others.

    Despite the one-sided beating, Mir remains among the best of the best. The 30-year-old fighter remains relatively young for a heavyweight, so he will almost certainly have additional title opportunities in the future. In fact, the score between the pair is now 1-1, leaving the door open for an eventual rubber match should Mir work his way back up the ranks.

    NOTE TO YOUNG STARS: DON’T TALK TRASH TO LEGENDS

    Well, don’t do it until you are convinced that they are over the hill.

    Why? Because it might come back to bite you in the backside.

    Dan Henderson is one of the best fighters to ever lace up a pair of gloves—period. Michael Bisping is one of the best young fighters in the game, though his accomplishments in the sport don’t merit discussion in the same breath as Henderson’s accomplishments.

    Yet, the pair was set to fight at UFC 100. It should have been a perfect situation for Bisping to catapult his career into the stratosphere. After all, a win over Hendo would place him at the top of the list of 185-lb contenders. Such a result seemed possible because Hendo, who is long in the tooth for a mixed martial artist at 38, seemed to be ripe for an upset.

    That was before Bisping got under Hendo’s skin and focused the former US Olympian like never before for a UFC fight. The end result was the best Dan Henderson that UFC fans have ever seen. Mix that with an inexcusable mistake by the Brit—circling to his own left, right into Hendo’s most devastating weapon—and the world got to see why the Team Quest superstar will someday grace the wall of the UFC Hall of Fame.

    Henderson’s knockout victory was his most impressive effort since stopping Wanderlei Silva to win the PRIDE 205-lb title in February 2007, and it puts Hendo at or near the front of the line of challengers for Anderson Silva’s 185-lb crown.

    The loss certainly doesn’t cause Bisping’s career a ton of harm. He is still young, so losing to a legend isn’t that big of a deal. But losing by knockout can have lingering effects on any fighter. It is important for Bisping to get back on the horse as soon as he is completely recovered, take a shot on the chin and shake it off so that the knockout doesn’t derail his career going forward because “The Count” remains one of the best, most exciting fighters in the middleweight division, though one who isn’t quite ready to take on the role of legend killer just yet.

    GSP IS HALF MAN, HALF AMAZING

    A diehard UFC fan sent me a simple, one-sentence email on Friday:

    I can’t believe people have yet to realize that GSP is half man, half amazing.

    My response was that the fan had been watching too much NBA on TNT with Kenny “The Jet” Smith. My response should have been, “Amen.”

    GSP’s systematic destruction of Thiago Alves was beautiful to watch. He completely neutralized Alves’ destructive Muay Thai skills by seamlessly transitioning between striking and wrestling, something he does better than anyone in the sport, across all weight classes.

    With the win, GSP now owns a win over every top welterweight, except for one: Mike Swick.

    Swick has competed in the welterweight shadow of high-profile teammates Jon Fitch and Josh Koscheck for the past 18 months. Assuming that GSP isn’t interested in a rematch against one of his previously vanquished challengers, that leaves Swick as the logical next in line.

    Or, maybe the time has finally come for the champion to begin frequenting the local steakhouse and pounding the weights in preparation for a pound-for-pound showdown with UFC apex predator Anderson Silva.

    Prior to UFC 100, I gave GSP absolutely no chance in a much ballyhooed future fight with the middleweight champion. Now, I’m not so sure.

  25. If I had 100,000$ and GSP moved up in weight classes....I would without hesitation bet it on GSP.

  26. Quote Originally Posted by searl12 View Post
    If I had 100,000$ and GSP moved up in weight classes....I would without hesitation bet it on GSP.
    If I had $100,000, I'd pay off me and my fiancee's school loans and throw a chunk at my mortgage.

    yeah, that's a good dream
    NSCA - CSCS

  27. Ya your right, ok hows this...If I was given it and had no choice but to pick one guy.....id pick GSP

  28. wow i just had to read like 3 pages! you guys have been writing a lot. good job to all discussions.

    on another note that is messed up about MIR when i was reading on MMA weekly i could not believe how much he got 45,000. and people like bisping got more. I am glad to see some of these guys get good money tho.

  29. and Lesner got 3 million , insane!

  30. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    After nearly getting shafted by CC, I doubt that Dana will be willing to give another unique contract to a fighter.
    http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...9155&zoneid=13

    Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic's on-again, off-again relationship with the UFC is appears to be officially in the on position, and documented.

    The Croatian heavyweight has signed a three-fight contract extension with the Ultimate Fighting Championship. UFC president Dana White confirmed the signing to Yahoo! Sports' Kevin Iole on Monday.

    After a disappointing first run through the UFC in 2007, Cro Cop went back to Japan to re-tool his arsenal. He re-emerged in the Octagon at UFC 99 with a TKO win over Mustapha Al-Turk.

    Following UFC 99, reports quickly spread that instead of remaining in the UFC, Cro Cop would instead head back to Japan to accept a three-fight offer from Dream. Even though a fight between Cro Cop and Siala "Mighty Mo" Siligia was revealed, pen was never put to paper.

    Now under officially under contract with the UFC, Cro Cop is already slated to return to the Octagon on Sept. 19 in Dallas. He will face rising Brazilian heavyweight Junior dos Santos.

    "Itíll be a big opportunity in my career," dos Santos commented recently on graciemag.com. "Lots of good things have happened in my life and this is one more. I'm going to make the most of it."

    According to Croatian website Index.hr, UFC executive Lorenzo Fertitta recently flew to Cro Cop's hometown of Zagreb to negotiate his return and make him "an offer he couldn't refuse."

    According to the Yahoo! report, White blamed much of the confusion over Cro Cop's contract situation on the Croatian's manager, Ken Imai.

    "I've said this many times, and I'll say it again: there's some crooked (expletive) that goes on in Japan," said White over the UFC 100 weekend. "They're all crooked; there's some sneaky (expletive) going on over there. That's always a big problem. These guys that are in the fight business over there, for my Mexican friends, 'no bueno.'"
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Frank Shamrock
    By PHWSSJ in forum MMA
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 07-13-2007, 09:10 PM
  2. What happened to Frank Mir ?
    By okboy63 in forum MMA
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-08-2006, 08:36 PM
Log in
Log in