Frank Mir is looking ripped!

Page 4 of 6 First ... 23456 Last
  1. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27064
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    41.04%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by searl12 View Post
    I am very impressed with Mirs conditioning....I have never ever seen him look that good, either he's trained is butt off or he s using the Clear., lol Jk they both look huge and mean don' t they, imagine making the mistake at a bar of pssing Mir off not knowing what type of machine he was.
    Definitely agree here; Mir looked very conditioned.

  2. Banned
    searl12's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,381
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    73.82%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Is it wrong for me to be inspiring to look like Mir? lol
  3. Diamond Member
    VolcomX311's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    13,250
    Rep Power
    78136
    Level
    70
    Lv. Percent
    66.23%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by searl12 View Post
    Is it wrong for me to be inspiring to look like Mir? lol
    Yes


    I'm just kidding, he did look really good and for a guy that heavy, it's really impressive. Nonetheless, I hope Brock wins.
    NSCA - CSCS
    •   
       

  4. Diamond Member
    VolcomX311's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    13,250
    Rep Power
    78136
    Level
    70
    Lv. Percent
    66.23%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    HELLZ TO THA YES!!!!
    NSCA - CSCS
  5. Senior Member
    BurghHardcore's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,105
    Rep Power
    4508
    Level
    25
    Lv. Percent
    81.19%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    HELLZ TO THA YES!!!!
    That was a beatdown. Damn. Can't say that I'm happy, not very disappointed either. Don't really know how I feel yet actually lol.

    As for HENDO...HELLZ TO THA YES!!! That was gorgeous. The extra knock to the head while Bisping was already KTFO on the ground was a little "there ya go" for all the trash talking during the show.
  6. Senior Member
    Silver3CSRT8's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  196 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,606
    Rep Power
    1485
    Level
    36
    Lv. Percent
    6.64%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Dude...Hendo completely punking the loud mouth Brit made my night (especially the extra punch/elbow after the KO) and then the GSP fight was great (even though I picked Alves). However, making my buddies eat crow when Brock dominated Mir was priceless. They still don't give him the credit he deserves for the mass/power that he has. They will come around because he will have the belt for a long while!
  7. Diamond Member
    VolcomX311's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    13,250
    Rep Power
    78136
    Level
    70
    Lv. Percent
    66.23%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by BurghHardcore View Post
    That was a beatdown. Damn. Can't say that I'm happy, not very disappointed either. Don't really know how I feel yet actually lol.

    As for HENDO...HELLZ TO THA YES!!! That was gorgeous. The extra knock to the head while Bisping was already KTFO on the ground was a little "there ya go" for all the trash talking during the show.
    Yes, Hendo's super man ground strike was priceless. He knew Bisbing was off in never never land the moment Bisbing dropped, but, rules are rules, you have to finish out the fight until the ref says stop, even if Bisbing was off being Peter Pan somewhere.
    NSCA - CSCS
  8. Diamond Member
    VolcomX311's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    13,250
    Rep Power
    78136
    Level
    70
    Lv. Percent
    66.23%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by Silver3CSRT8 View Post
    Dude...Hendo completely punking the loud mouth Brit made my night (especially the extra punch/elbow after the KO) and then the GSP fight was great (even though I picked Alves). However, making my buddies eat crow when Brock dominated Mir was priceless. They still don't give him the credit he deserves for the mass/power that he has. They will come around because he will have the belt for a long while!
    You don't even know. I was the only one pulling for Brock in my circle, and that finish was so satisfying. However, mad, mad respects to Mir for his class and humility in defeat. I'll admit I may have misjudged his douche'ness, based on his post fight class. Nonetheless, my boy got it and sealed it.

    Speaking of which, I don't know if I've ever seen a fighter genuinely hate another fighter as much as Brock hated Mir. Damn the pre fight dramatics, Brock was in the fight with a real to life personal vendetta, where a victory didn't even fully alleviate that hate.

    As far as GSP, if Alves was his best competition and GSP still had his way with TD's at will and leaving the fight utterly unscathed apart from heavy breathing. I may deem GSP with the "Fedor of the UFC welter weight division" award. He is head & shoulders above his competition. That said, Alves was a true warrior until the end. His heart & tenacity was undeniably admirable.

    Akiyama was a bit disappointing. I built him up like I built I Mirko during his UFC debut to my friends and he got an arguably, undeserved win.
    NSCA - CSCS
  9. Senior Member
    Jessep76's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,269
    Rep Power
    3098
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    43.66%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    that guy [Brock] is missing some marbles. He makes Clay Guida look calm and composed. You see all that saliva come out his mouth as he's screaming into the camera?? With a card that big you can't have all your favs win
  10. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27064
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    41.04%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    I thought it was refreshing, actually - the way Brock screamed at Mir, that is. I get so tired of the daytime-talk show *****ries, that are always "squashed" with a hug; Lesnar truly hated Mir, and he told him that.

    As for GSP, he would have to fight both Kampmann and Swick as the same time to make that fight competitive and/or entertaining. As I said all along the pre-fight build-up, Jon Fitch, and not Thiago Alves, was GSP's toughest competition - as in, he at least had a few marks after that fight. Thiago was dangerous, but much less of a comparative threat all along. When it comes down to it, people just love to get behind a striker, especially when UFC is passing around the hype doobie.
  11. New Member
    SpargelJanusz's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  160 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Age
    37
    Posts
    329
    Rep Power
    251
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    85.63%

    All in all, Brock certainly has not won fans tonight, I believe (or last night). But I cannot see anyone in the UFC HW division beating him at the moment, he has a scary combo of speed and of course brute strength. And he's too smart to try things that look good / get more thumbs up from fans, but would put him at a disadvantage.

    I found it impressive how he basically ate Mir's knee, Mir must have wondered "Does this guy feel pain at all?"

    A match made in heaven would be, of course, Fedor vs Brock - if Dana could stop trashtalking for a while and just arrange for this one fight, it'd be any MMA fans dream come true.
  12. Senior Member
    Silver3CSRT8's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  196 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,606
    Rep Power
    1485
    Level
    36
    Lv. Percent
    6.64%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    I really want to see who is the better huge muscled up heavy weight now (Brock or Shane Carwin). I think Brock has better athleticism and speed, but Carwin is a KO artist with massive power and strength. Besides him I don't think any other heavies have a chance. I try to back my stance that Brock deserved the shot based on how weak the UFC Heavy weight division was at the time Brock came in. Arloski and Tim Silvia were gone. Randy was "retired". That is like the boxing heavyweight division when Tyson went to jail. :-)

    I think the GSP domination set up his fight with Anderson Silva. That will be a sweet fight unless the spider can turn it into a boring fight like his last 2.
  13. Registered User
    swole210's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,088
    Rep Power
    660
    Level
    25
    Lv. Percent
    9.52%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    I still don't like Brock ! I'm sorry, not to take anything away from his freak nature, but the "Brock Mad....Brock throw man down....Brock hold man down...Brock smashy smashy man with right hand!!!!" thing doesn't impress me at all. But thats just me, and I'm no body so who cares. I just hate to see a champion who can be the champ just by really out sizeing and out weighing everyone, laying on them and smashy smash with right hand! But oh well.
  14. Banned
    searl12's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,381
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    73.82%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Silver3CSRT8 View Post
    Dude...Hendo completely punking the loud mouth Brit made my night (especially the extra punch/elbow after the KO) and then the GSP fight was great (even though I picked Alves). However, making my buddies eat crow when Brock dominated Mir was priceless. They still don't give him the credit he deserves for the mass/power that he has. They will come around because he will have the belt for a long while!
    Silver my man...how in the hell could you or anyone in the frckn world have picked Alves over GSP?

    Guy still. ... STILL doesnt get the respect he deserves, I wonder if he wasnt french canadian if more of you yanks would like him and respect him, cause guess what? noone fckn can touch the guy , stand near him, breath near him or change in the same locker room as him.

    And in case none of you guys know most Canadian"s arent french, most look just like Americans, dress, etc..etc etc, and most Canadian' s dont even like our French Province.

    And if I was to have bet last night id of bet every penny i had on Lesner, one more guy who killed, and I mean killed his opponent, and wasnt getting any respct or votes of confidence.
  15. Diamond Member
    VolcomX311's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    13,250
    Rep Power
    78136
    Level
    70
    Lv. Percent
    66.23%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by swole210 View Post
    I still don't like Brock ! I'm sorry, not to take anything away from his freak nature, but the "Brock Mad....Brock throw man down....Brock hold man down...Brock smashy smashy man with right hand!!!!" thing doesn't impress me at all. But thats just me, and I'm no body so who cares. I just hate to see a champion who can be the champ just by really out sizeing and out weighing everyone, laying on them and smashy smash with right hand! But oh well.
    I hear what you're saying, but size & brute strength alone won't get you too far if you don't have some talent behind it. Bop Sapp is the perfect example of a solely "me smash," type of fighter. At 320lbs, Bob outweighs and may even out strength, in terms of ability to lift weights, Brock Lesnar, and Bob Sapp is horrendous. He gets beat all the time by people 60-100lbs lighter then he is.

    All that said, people dislike whoever they dislike, so I'm not trying to win you over or win an argument. It's all good, but if you want to get really technical & down to the nitty gritty, Brock's game plan was no different then GSP's. Take down, dominate & control from the top, neutralize the opponent on the ground and do damage. Apart from GSP's obvious superior class in execution, GSP's game plan was no different from Brock's at its roots & premise. TD, control, neutralize and damage. It's the traditional wrestler/striker combo. Again, if you want to see a one-dimensional, all strength & size fighter, just look at Bob Sapp, who outweighs Brock by 40lbs and he gets stopped all the time.
    NSCA - CSCS
  16. Diamond Member
    VolcomX311's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    13,250
    Rep Power
    78136
    Level
    70
    Lv. Percent
    66.23%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by searl12 View Post
    Silver my man...how in the hell could you or anyone in the frckn world have picked Alves over GSP?

    Guy still. ... STILL doesnt get the respect he deserves, I wonder if he wasnt french canadian if more of you yanks would like him and respect him, cause guess what? noone fckn can touch the guy , stand near him, breath near him or change in the same locker room as him.

    And in case none of you guys know most Canadian"s arent french, most look just like Americans, dress, etc..etc etc, and most Canadian' s dont even like our French Province.

    And if I was to have bet last night id of bet every penny i had on Lesner, one more guy who killed, and I mean killed his opponent, and wasnt getting any respct or votes of confidence.
    You don't think GSP gets the respect he deserves? I'm pretty certain the mass majority of all UFC fans anywhere, are in consensus that GSP or Anderson Silva are the worlds pound for pound. It's not like he was in the back light, like a pre Rashad Evans, Lyoto Machida.

    I was rooting for Alves, but my pick was GSP. I liked both fighters, but in this case, I was just rooting for the under dog. However, I was just as excited when GSP won, it just lacked the dramatics if Alves had won. As I mentioned before, I think GSP has earned the Fedor Award at welter weight.
    NSCA - CSCS
  17. Diamond Member
    VolcomX311's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    13,250
    Rep Power
    78136
    Level
    70
    Lv. Percent
    66.23%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by SpargelJanusz View Post
    All in all, Brock certainly has not won fans tonight, I believe (or last night).
    Yeah, as soon as I saw Brock go up to Mir "AFTER" he beat him and instead of the traditional, hug, hand shake, the drama is over approach, Brock was still as angry as ever, I thought, "oh no, don't give him the mic, he's still too emotional and he might say something stupid." However, it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Incredible props to Mir for his class & humility in defeat, I was a bit surprised by it.

    Quote Originally Posted by SpargelJanusz View Post
    I found it impressive how he basically ate Mir's knee, Mir must have wondered "Does this guy feel pain at all?"
    Seriously, but that was one of Mir's fatal mistakes (arguably). Maybe Brock would have taken him down eventually, but at that moment, Mir put himself on his back from that quasi-jumping knee attempt.

    Quote Originally Posted by SpargelJanusz View Post
    A match made in heaven would be, of course, Fedor vs Brock - if Dana could stop trashtalking for a while and just arrange for this one fight, it'd be any MMA fans dream come true.
    Though it would be interesting, Brock would only win by sheer luck of a flailing KO, which I couldn't see happening. I would have to root for Fedor in this case, not just because I'm a bigger Fedor fan, but its an exercise in reason.

    All in all, this is what I have to say about Brock's Victory.
    NSCA - CSCS
  18. Banned
    searl12's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,381
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    73.82%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    In my opinion its rather easy to be classy in defeat....if your not you will forever be dubbed a sore loser I actually think its easier than most people think, he got beat plain and simple, and yes GSP gets some respect but I truly believe if he wasnt a french Canadian he would be one Of the USA s biggest celebrities.
  19. Diamond Member
    VolcomX311's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    13,250
    Rep Power
    78136
    Level
    70
    Lv. Percent
    66.23%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by searl12 View Post
    yes GSP gets some respect but I truly believe if he wasnt a french Canadian he would be one Of the USA s biggest celebrities.
    I'm not saying this to be confrontational or anything like that, but the "One of USA's biggest celebrities" in regards to GSP, is a ridiculous statement. GSP's or any athlete's celebrity is "usually" based more on the actual popularity of the sport, as oppose to the popularity of the individual. As big as The UFC is, it has a long ways to go before UFC athletes gain greater celebrity then Football, Baseball and Basketball players.

    I don't think GSP being French-Canadian has ANYTHING to do with a lack of U.S. appreciation for him (in your opinion), it's all relative to the popularity of the sport and MMA is not a top sport here. To be a TOP ATHLETE, you'll need to beat out Kobe Bryant, Dwayne Wade, Lebron James... to name a few, and that's without getting into the Football and baseball celebrities.

    The biggest international athlete to ever touch American sole was probably David Beckham, but that's because he moved here and even then, he was only talked about until we realized we don't care for soccer here.

    Biggest athlete in the U.S.? That's ridiculous, as big as Chuck Lidell was and Randy Couture was, you weren't going to hear their names called in the same sentence as Kobe Bryant, Tiger Woods, Manny Ramirez or Peyton Manning, not even close. It's a matter of the popularity of the sport, not some weird anti French-Canadian argument your making. Holy cow that's ridiculous.
    NSCA - CSCS
  20. Senior Member
    Jessep76's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,269
    Rep Power
    3098
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    43.66%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    ME BROCK DON'T KNOW HOW TO EAT IN FANCY RESTAURANT, ME BROCK SMASH!
  21. Senior Member
    Silver3CSRT8's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  196 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,606
    Rep Power
    1485
    Level
    36
    Lv. Percent
    6.64%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by searl12 View Post
    Silver my man...how in the hell could you or anyone in the frckn world have picked Alves over GSP?
    I actually knew that GSP would win, but I was kinda rooting for the underdog. GSP is greatness, but I like a shake up every know in then. I am actually hoping someone can beat Anderson Silva in the near future, I was happy when Iceman finally lost and I was very happy when Matt Hughes lost his title. I like everything about GSPs game, but he does talk funny. LOL
  22. Banned
    searl12's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,381
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    73.82%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Silver3CSRT8 View Post
    I actually knew that GSP would win, but I was kinda rooting for the underdog. GSP is greatness, but I like a shake up every know in then. I am actually hoping someone can beat Anderson Silva in the near future, I was happy when Iceman finally lost and I was very happy when Matt Hughes lost his title. I like everything about GSPs game, but he does talk funny. LOL
    Ever hear him say " My objective is to destroy Matt Serra" Hilarious, and our french province is a strange place indeed, you can drink on the streets and only need to be 18 to drink in a bar. I would have loved to have been In Montreal for the GSP fight it would have been the craziest place on the planet that night.
  23. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27064
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    41.04%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    I'm not saying this to be confrontational or anything like that, but the "One of USA's biggest celebrities" in regards to GSP, is a ridiculous statement. GSP's or any athlete's celebrity is "usually" based more on the actual popularity of the sport, as oppose to the popularity of the individual. As big as The UFC is, it has a long ways to go before UFC athletes gain greater celebrity then Football, Baseball and Basketball players.

    I don't think GSP being French-Canadian has ANYTHING to do with a lack of U.S. appreciation for him (in your opinion), it's all relative to the popularity of the sport and MMA is not a top sport here. To be a TOP ATHLETE, you'll need to beat out Kobe Bryant, Dwayne Wade, Lebron James... to name a few, and that's without getting into the Football and baseball celebrities.

    The biggest international athlete to ever touch American sole was probably David Beckham, but that's because he moved here and even then, he was only talked about until we realized we don't care for soccer here.

    Biggest athlete in the U.S.? That's ridiculous, as big as Chuck Lidell was and Randy Couture was, you weren't going to hear their names called in the same sentence as Kobe Bryant, Tiger Woods, Manny Ramirez or Peyton Manning, not even close. It's a matter of the popularity of the sport, not some weird anti French-Canadian argument your making. Holy cow that's ridiculous.
    I feel the import of sear's argument is this: if GSP were an American, he would receive both more repute and due respect. In my estimation, this tends to be true, both in the context of MMA, and other sports. To say GSP does not receive more adoration due to an anti-French sentiment is, as you said, certainly overstated; however, to say he receives less adoration due to being a non-American is nothing more or less than a truth backed by a certain consistency in the sports-historic record.

    For an instantiation of this, one need look no further than the Akiyama/Belcher fight: you had, for an appreciable period, the crowd chanting "U-S-A" whenever Belcher would mount an offense. The reason, of course, was not necessarily that the crowed preferred "Belcher" over "Akiyama"; but rather, that Belcher was an American, and Akiyama was not. The fact that Akiyama is Asian and Belcher is American is entirely incidental to the outcome of the fight, and even further secondary to the manner in which that outcome is reached, but Americans tend to ignore this in the face of outward patriotism; as a result, the fighters which they tend to support and/or glamorize and/or adore is often implicitly, if not explicitly, based on their nationality.

    As well, one has to understand my perspective is a relative one, not an absolute one - that is, fame relative to achievement. Put otherwise: given the exact same set of achievements, GSP's fame, reputation, and status as a fighter would all be heightened had he been born an American. For example, 90% of Americans who knew what MMA was felt Chuck Liddell was not only the best 205'er in the world, but the best P4P fighter in the world. Now, this is due in part to a confluence of factors, his nationality only being one of them; obviously, though, his status as an American and the lack of obscurity resultant thereof propelled him to these heights. To say that, all things equal, Americans prefer Americans to non-Americans, is just a fact.
  24. Senior Member
    bigwhiteguy29's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  233 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,173
    Rep Power
    1513
    Level
    33
    Lv. Percent
    67.08%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    belcher won that fight. those leg kicks were nasty


    now i really dont like brock at all. i hope someone beats him soon.
  25. Banned
    searl12's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,381
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    73.82%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Fedor will once Dana signs him, but Lesner will not be a push over for anyone! he is arguably the baddest dude there is right now opposed to Fedor. The UFC is already working on this fight. I guarantee it.
  26. Diamond Member
    VolcomX311's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    13,250
    Rep Power
    78136
    Level
    70
    Lv. Percent
    66.23%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    I feel the import of sear's argument is this: if GSP were an American, he would receive both more repute and due respect. In my estimation, this tends to be true, both in the context of MMA, and other sports. To say GSP does not receive more adoration due to an anti-French sentiment is, as you said, certainly overstated; however, to say he receives less adoration due to being a non-American is nothing more or less than a truth backed by a certain consistency in the sports-historic record.

    For an instantiation of this, one need look no further than the Akiyama/Belcher fight: you had, for an appreciable period, the crowd chanting "U-S-A" whenever Belcher would mount an offense. The reason, of course, was not necessarily that the crowed preferred "Belcher" over "Akiyama"; but rather, that Belcher was an American, and Akiyama was not. The fact that Akiyama is Asian and Belcher is American is entirely incidental to the outcome of the fight, and even further secondary to the manner in which that outcome is reached, but Americans tend to ignore this in the face of outward patriotism; as a result, the fighters which they tend to support and/or glamorize and/or adore is often implicitly, if not explicitly, based on their nationality.

    As well, one has to understand my perspective is a relative one, not an absolute one - that is, fame relative to achievement. Put otherwise: given the exact same set of achievements, GSP's fame, reputation, and status as a fighter would all be heightened had he been born an American. For example, 90% of Americans who knew what MMA was felt Chuck Liddell was not only the best 205'er in the world, but the best P4P fighter in the world. Now, this is due in part to a confluence of factors, his nationality only being one of them; obviously, though, his status as an American and the lack of obscurity resultant thereof propelled him to these heights. To say that, all things equal, Americans prefer Americans to non-Americans, is just a fact.
    I hear what you're saying and I think the difference in opinion may be derived in the technicality in the interpretation of Sear's statement.

    Firstly, true, Americans have an innate preference for American fighters (in mass), such as the Akiyama vs Welch example you brought up. Two relatively unknown fighters (with the exception of Jas' poster of Akiyama in his room) and the bias went to Welch with the chants of U.S.A. However, a heavy, heavy variable is the fact that neither fighters were known or established in the mainstream UFC fan base, and it would be completely odd & unnatural if the crowd would have chanted O-ss-a-k-a, O-ss-a-k-a. I'll give you the innate preference, premise. However, GSP is established and well known, and I don't know if I can yet sign off on innate preferences, having a notable influence on how much respect GSP receives, as an established celebrity.

    Secondly, and this is anecdotal, so the validity of this example is of course questionable. Anyone I've ever held an MMA conversation with, friends and strangers alike, either have GSP described as the top dog of his division, pound for pound in the UFC, unstoppable or some form of utter reverence. I don't know how our media portrays him, but as far as "the people," I've yet to meet someone who doesn't have GSP placed in the top 3 of deadliest and most dominant fighters. I consider that plenty of reputation and respect. However, as I mentioned, this is anecdotal to my experience and my surroundings.

    Thirdly, your argument that perhaps if GSP was American born, then he would be a bigger MMA star to American fans. I'll concede.

    Lastly, the thesis, if it were, of my rebuttal, was I found it ridiculous that GSP would be named one of the best athletes in America, period (were he not French-Canadian). I didn't take his statement as indicating one of America's top athletes in the scope of MMA. His statement was not seemingly limited to MMA, but an encompassing statement of top athletes in America, to which I say, nah bru. MMA is too far behind the mainstream sports of basketball, football, and baseball to have "any" MMA'er to share the lime light to the same effect as a Kobe Bryant, Shaquil O'niel or Terrel Owens. I'll concede that perhaps the whole French-Canadian thing "may" effect his reputation with American UFC fans ("may"), but as far as comparing GSP's celebrity against Kobe Bryant, Lebron James, Peyton Manning, or any other "mainstream" sport, my point was that his supposed lack of reputation in comparison to said celebrity athletes, had much more to do with the relative popularity of the sport, as oppose to his nationality.

    As mentioned previously, as popular as Chuck Lidell was and the American Hero Randy Couture was, they paled like Michael Jackson's complection in comparison to a Tiger Woods, Barry Bonds, Brett Favre... in regards to the concept of "One of America's top athletes."

    Honestly, it's not that big of a deal to me, I just felt like arguing with you
    NSCA - CSCS
  27. Diamond Member
    VolcomX311's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    13,250
    Rep Power
    78136
    Level
    70
    Lv. Percent
    66.23%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteguy29 View Post
    belcher won that fight. those leg kicks were nasty
    I tend to agree with you on this one and I was rooting for Akiyama 100%.

    Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteguy29 View Post
    now i really dont like brock at all. i hope someone beats him soon.
    Hate the game.

    I'm just kidding, it's understandable, I think the entire arena outside of his corner was booing him, but of course, I disagree. I'm hoping he improves MMA wise and maintains an Iron Fist of dominance.
    NSCA - CSCS
  28. Diamond Member
    VolcomX311's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    13,250
    Rep Power
    78136
    Level
    70
    Lv. Percent
    66.23%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by searl12 View Post
    Fedor will once Dana signs him, but Lesner will not be a push over for anyone! he is arguably the baddest dude there is right now opposed to Fedor. The UFC is already working on this fight. I guarantee it.
    The only reason I wouldn't want this fight to happen, is because I don't want to see Lesnar get beat yet. However, I think this concept fight will be incredibly unlikely. Dana won't bend the rules of his contracts and Fedor is not at all a fan of the limitations of a UFC contract.
    NSCA - CSCS
  29. yea!!!!!
    brk_nemesis's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  249 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,403
    Rep Power
    813
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    22.84%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    The only reason I wouldn't want this fight to happen, is because I don't want to see Lesnar get beat yet. However, I think this concept fight will be incredibly unlikely. Dana won't bend the rules of his contracts and Fedor is not at all a fan of the limitations of a UFC contract.
    Yea but Fedor's contract with Affliction ends with his next fight(Barnett). So who ever offers up the most $$$ will get him. I dont think the "rules" for the Affliction contract are much different from the UFC's. I don't think Dana expected a end of the fight "fuk you" to everybody from Brock either so,..... w/e will get Dana the most money on PPV is what Dana will do. who knows....
  30. Senior Member
    bigwhiteguy29's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  233 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,173
    Rep Power
    1513
    Level
    33
    Lv. Percent
    67.08%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    yeah i acually would not care if lesner won a couple more then lost. yeah he did act like an idiot but he did have a lot on the line and trained hard. he did go a lil over board tho. i knew he would win like that i jsut thought it would have been quicker but he took his time in the first.
  31. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27064
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    41.04%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    However, GSP is established and well known, and I don't know if I can yet sign off on innate preferences, having a notable influence on how much respect GSP receives, as an established celebrity.
    He is definitely well-respected, in well-repute, and a celebrity; however, he would have more of these things were he American. My favorite quote from a sportscaster is, "Americans will watch sports they care nothing about just to see if an American is winning". This can be seen in [say] Tennis, where you have two of the greatest players to ever live - Nadal and Federer - whose battles still receiving less mainstream coverage than Sampras and Agassi, despite their superior play and historical significance.

    Secondly, and this is anecdotal, so the validity of this example is of course questionable. Anyone I've ever held an MMA conversation with, friends and strangers alike, either have GSP described as the top dog of his division, pound for pound in the UFC, unstoppable or some form of utter reverence. I don't know how our media portrays him, but as far as "the people," I've yet to meet someone who doesn't have GSP placed in the top 3 of deadliest and most dominant fighters. I consider that plenty of reputation and respect. However, as I mentioned, this is anecdotal to my experience and my surroundings.
    No, I definitely agree, but this is only of late, and after a [comparatively] greater set of achievements than, say, Chuck Liddell. For whatever reason, people tend to disrespect French Canadians, mostly because their attitude, accent and demeanor is so affable. [see: your friend that hates GSP for nothing more than his Van-Damme-esque accent.] Consider his reign since A. Silva came into the UFC, S.

    Over a span of nine fights, and twenty-nine rounds, GSP has lost - depending on the judge you speak to - two rounds [!]: the TKO loss to Matt Serra, and a round [...or two...] to BJ Penn. Of those nine fights, five were against current or former champions - BJ Penn [x2], Hughes [x2], Serra [x1] - and each of his opponents, aside from Serra, was ranked as one of the top three WWs in the world [not just the UFC]. And since GSP began dominating - say, after Hughes I - he has cleared one of the most dominant divisions in MMA history, in respects to sheer talent. (The only division that really compares is PRIDE HW division from 2003-R.I.P., with Hunt, Cro-Cop, Nog, Barnett, Coleman, Randleman, and, of course, Fee-aye-Dyor.) Beyond a doubt, this is one of the most dominant streaks in MMA history, and he is only now being considered in that top three by the casual fan - as you know, true fans have known this for years. That is more or less what I meant: a relative comparison of achievement to fame.

    Man, writing that makes me want to write a, "Silva v., GSP: By the Numbers" article, really comparing how stratospherically more dominant GSP has been than the Spider. (In his reign, Spider has lost rounds against Henderson, Lutter, and Cote, has faced only two former champions, and several of his opponents were not ranked in the top five MW rankings; and this is in addition to the MW division of the UFC being the sickly brother.)

    And no, he would never be Tiger Woods status. That wasn't my point, though!
  32. Banned
    searl12's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,381
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    73.82%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    I feel the import of sear's argument is this: if GSP were an American, he would receive both more repute and due respect. In my estimation, this tends to be true, both in the context of MMA, and other sports. To say GSP does not receive more adoration due to an anti-French sentiment is, as you said, certainly overstated; however, to say he receives less adoration due to being a non-American is nothing more or less than a truth backed by a certain consistency in the sports-historic record.

    For an instantiation of this, one need look no further than the Akiyama/Belcher fight: you had, for an appreciable period, the crowd chanting "U-S-A" whenever Belcher would mount an offense. The reason, of course, was not necessarily that the crowed preferred "Belcher" over "Akiyama"; but rather, that Belcher was an American, and Akiyama was not. The fact that Akiyama is Asian and Belcher is American is entirely incidental to the outcome of the fight, and even further secondary to the manner in which that outcome is reached, but Americans tend to ignore this in the face of outward patriotism; as a result, the fighters which they tend to support and/or glamorize and/or adore is often implicitly, if not explicitly, based on their nationality.

    As well, one has to understand my perspective is a relative one, not an absolute one - that is, fame relative to achievement. Put otherwise: given the exact same set of achievements, GSP's fame, reputation, and status as a fighter would all be heightened had he been born an American. For example, 90% of Americans who knew what MMA was felt Chuck Liddell was not only the best 205'er in the world, but the best P4P fighter in the world. Now, this is due in part to a confluence of factors, his nationality only being one of them; obviously, though, his status as an American and the lack of obscurity resultant thereof propelled him to these heights. To say that, all things equal, Americans prefer Americans to non-Americans, is just a fact.
    Searl guys Searl, as in pearl, squirl.....

    never heard the name Sear before.
  33. Diamond Member
    VolcomX311's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    13,250
    Rep Power
    78136
    Level
    70
    Lv. Percent
    66.23%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    No, I definitely agree, but this is only of late, and after a [comparatively] greater set of achievements than, say, Chuck Liddell.
    For the record, I never partook in the Chunk The Ice Cream Man Lidell testicular tire swinging. I never liked him. This has nothing to do with anything apart from my own vindication

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    [see: your friend that hates GSP for nothing more than his Van-Damme-esque accent.] Consider his reign since.
    I'm not sure which BFF you're referring to, but I do recall that post, and maybe I co-signed the legitimacy of his logic at the time Seriously though, maybe it's the whole social gumbo atmosphere of Southern California, where its too diverse to really "notice" people of Non-American roots, so my friends and my environment find GSP's French-Canadian'ism quite a non-issue. Our county's mayor gives speeches in Spanish regularly, I mean c'mon. Apart from SoCal, I suppose I can't project and presume our cultural mentality upon the other states.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    Over a span of nine fights, and twenty-nine rounds, GSP has lost - depending on the judge you speak to - two rounds [!]: the TKO loss to Matt Serra, and a round [...or two...] to BJ Penn. Of those nine fights, five were against current or former champions - BJ Penn [x2], Hughes [x2], Serra [x1] - and each of his opponents, aside from Serra, was ranked as one of the top three WWs in the world [not just the UFC]. And since GSP began dominating - say, after Hughes I - he has cleared one of the most dominant divisions in MMA history, in respects to sheer talent. (The only division that really compares is PRIDE HW division from 2003-R.I.P., with Hunt, Cro-Cop, Nog, Barnett, Coleman, Randleman, and, of course, Fee-aye-Dyor.) Beyond a doubt, this is one of the most dominant streaks in MMA history, and he is only now being considered in that top three by the casual fan - as you know, true fans have known this for years. That is more or less what I meant: a relative comparison of achievement to fame.
    Two rounds to BJ Penn and yes, a moment of silence to our beloved Pride FC.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    And no, he would never be Tiger Woods status. That wasn't my point, though!
    This would be the heart of our dis-congruence. You're arguing GSP would be a "bigger" star then he is, were he American born. That wasn't my point, but I'll concede to that argument. I was arguing that whether GSP was born in the heart of Texas, were a part time bull rider who line danced into the octagon, had his own line of BBQ steak sauce and fought out of The Confederacy fight camp, he still wouldn't be "One of America's Top Athletes," due to the lack of popularity of MMA as a sport, in comparison to our big three, basketball, baseball, football. Once MMA fighters start having Nike commercials, then we can re-open this case.
    NSCA - CSCS
  34. Diamond Member
    VolcomX311's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    13,250
    Rep Power
    78136
    Level
    70
    Lv. Percent
    66.23%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by searl12 View Post
    Searl guys Searl, as in pearl, squirl.....

    never heard the name Sear before.
    LOL
    NSCA - CSCS
  35. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27064
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    41.04%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    I'm not sure which BFF you're referring to, but I do recall that post, and maybe I co-signed the legitimacy of his logic at the time Seriously though, maybe it's the whole social gumbo atmosphere of Southern California, where its too diverse to really "notice" people of Non-American roots, so my friends and my environment find GSP's French-Canadian'ism quite a non-issue. Our county's mayor gives speeches in Spanish regularly, I mean c'mon. Apart from SoCal, I suppose I can't project and presume our cultural mentality upon the other states.
    Not entirely sure. We actually both co-opted the logic, so it is valid in a certain light. My point was, more or less, people do not take the French/French-Canadians seriously. You live in a nation that changes the name of food because you dislike the French. I am surprised Americans have not anointed GSP, "George St. American Burger with Fucking Cheese."



    Two rounds to BJ Penn and yes, a moment of silence to our beloved Pride FC.
    One at most, bruv; due inherently to an illegitimate eye-poke.

    This would be the heart of our dis-congruence. You're arguing GSP would be a "bigger" star then he is, were he American born. That wasn't my point, but I'll concede to that argument. I was arguing that whether GSP was born in the heart of Texas, were a part time bull rider who line danced into the octagon, had his own line of BBQ steak sauce and fought out of The Confederacy fight camp, he still wouldn't be "One of America's Top Athletes," due to the lack of popularity of MMA as a sport, in comparison to our big three, basketball, baseball, football. Once MMA fighters start having Nike commercials, then we can re-open this case.
    Haha, I know that was not your point; in fact, I am not so sure it was searl's either! I was just trying to show you the import of searl's post: that GSP would be a larger star had he been born American. You then decided to go all "Mullet" with verbosity and over-technicality.

  36. Banned
    searl12's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,381
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    73.82%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Agreed, it honestly doesnt evem matter, anyone with a brain Knows GSP is the man, white, black, yellow, brown, yank, canuck,russian...none fckn touches him.

    Personally too Im glad he dethroned the fckn Prck Matt hughes...Dissing my countries foreign policy because we didnt follow you blindly into Iraq, a war which is pointless and has taken almost 6000 americans mens lives.

    ALso in that insult he forgot to mention the fact that Canada followed America into another war in Afghanistan, and other the British have been and always will be Americas Strongest allies.

    On that not RIP to the soldiers who have fallen in the recent offensive. 4 marines today,
    8 Royal marines the day before, and 3 Canadian the day before that.

    Huaa
  37. Diamond Member
    VolcomX311's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    13,250
    Rep Power
    78136
    Level
    70
    Lv. Percent
    66.23%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    You live in a nation that changes the name of food because you dislike the French.
    Explain the French Fry good sir! Actually, I don't know who, but someone somewhere (in the south I think) wanted to change French Fries, into something like, Liberty Sticks, haha. Your point reminded me of that. Nonetheless, the people spoke and The French Fry remained.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    One at most, bruv; due inherently to an illegitimate eye-poke.
    That's one hell of an eye poke.



    I'm just kidding, what can you say when GSP's record against Penn is 2-0. I can't win that argument.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    Haha, I know that was not your point; in fact, I am not so sure it was searl's either! I was just trying to show you the import of searl's post: that GSP would be a larger star had he been born American. You then decided to go all "Mullet" with verbosity and over-technicality.

    NSCA - CSCS
  38. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27064
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    41.04%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    Explain the French Fry good sir! Actually, I don't know who, but someone somewhere (in the south I think) wanted to change French Fries, into something like, Liberty Sticks, haha. Your point reminded me of that. Nonetheless, the people spoke and The French Fry remained.
    "Freedom Fries" and "Freedom Toast" is what I was referring to. That wasn't a southern-exclusive, either: I can recall eating in Northwestern NY state when I initially moved to Ontario, and seeing "Freedom Fries" as part of the cuisine. I was taken aback for a second, ha.
  39. Banned
    searl12's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,381
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    73.82%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    "Freedom Fries" and "Freedom Toast" is what I was referring to. That wasn't a southern-exclusive, either: I can recall eating in Northwestern NY state when I initially moved to Ontario, and seeing "Freedom Fries" as part of the cuisine. I was taken aback for a second, ha.
    No offense because I tried to join the marines and Im a Canuck....but its pretty pathetic to dislike a country just because they dont want to follow you into a pointless unjustified war.

    Once again that has cost almost 6000 american young mens lives.
  40. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27064
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    41.04%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by searl12 View Post
    No offense because I tried to join the marines and Im a Canuck....but its pretty pathetic to dislike a country just because they dont want to follow you into a pointless unjustified war.

    Once again that has cost almost 6000 american young mens lives.
    Not sure what you mean by this. I am Canadian, and I was pointing to Volcom an instance where Americans dislike[d] the French.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Frank Shamrock
    By PHWSSJ in forum MMA
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 07-13-2007, 08:10 PM
  2. What happened to Frank Mir ?
    By okboy63 in forum MMA
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-08-2006, 07:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in