Frank Mir is looking ripped! - AnabolicMinds.com - Page 3

Frank Mir is looking ripped!

Page 3 of 6 First 12345 ... Last
  1. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by AE14 View Post
    he will TKO Mir in the first rd
    This. He has dropped or nearly dropped all three of his opponents in the UFC with a hard right jab in the first round. Unfortunately, his little experience striking has not afforded him that killer instinct, or else all three of his victories would be first round TKO. He dropped Mir with the first shot, Herring with the first shot, and Randy wobbled early in the first as well [though he recuperated]. Despite what some of the more "purist" pundits may be pretentiously promulgating [that was for Volcom], Brock has the decided advantage in striking.

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  233 lbs.

yeah he does need a better ground n pound like wandys killer instinct. he will get it, some of these guys have had 25 plus amateur fights some over 50. if he did jsut sit for 5 rounds that would suck. also having 5 rounds i cant really seem them having a war it would get boring they are fast enough like these small guys battles even 205's.
  3. New Member

Mir via submission
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    This. He has dropped or nearly dropped all three of his opponents in the UFC with a hard right jab in the first round. Unfortunately, his little experience striking has not afforded him that killer instinct, or else all three of his victories would be first round TKO. He dropped Mir with the first shot, Herring with the first shot, and Randy wobbled early in the first as well [though he recuperated]. Despite what some of the more "purist" pundits may be pretentiously promulgating [that was for Volcom], Brock has the decided advantage in striking.

Power and strength aside don't you think he's getting a little predictable? Say for instance Machida puts on 20+ pounds and avoids all his strikes like he does so well with Rash and Titso, and was able to let him run out his gas tank I think his potential weakness might be capitalized on. Unfortunately for Mir he's as lightning quick...
  5. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessep76 View Post
    Power and strength aside don't you think he's getting a little predictable? Say for instance Machida puts on 20+ pounds and avoids all his strikes like he does so well with Rash and Titso, and was able to let him run out his gas tank I think his potential weakness might be capitalized on. Unfortunately for Mir he's as lightning quick...
    The dude is 285 and runs the 40 in 4.7, hah. Predicting something is all well and good, but stopping it is another.
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.

Are there no holes in his game at all?
  7. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"  250 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

There are holes of course but respect/fear of his KO power and takedown help keep people honest.
  8. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

People often forget that this will be Brock's 5th fight. He's still new to the game and will continue to improve the longer he trains.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  9. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

Yes, that is exactly what I said. There are a lot of holes in his game, but I was just saying that exploiting them are difficult. He is a 285lb-beast who moves faster than a LW.
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.

I'm just seeing more people giving the win to Brock but I think he's still just as suseptable to a submission assuming Mir aviods any potentially knock out capable strikes. And as mentioned above he's on his 5th fight which works for and against him.
  11. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

The dude is 285 and runs the 40 in 4.7, hah. Predicting something is all well and good, but stopping it is another.
    Agreed. Knowing someone's game plan isn't as great of an advantage if that person excels at executing it. Por jemplo, GSP's game plan is quite predictable, poke, determine spatial & pace variables, the take is coming for SURE, wrestling will be a 99% chance probability in the fight. Every KNOWS the takedown is coming, but nobody has been able to stop it.

Obviously Brock isn't anywhere near the technician GSP is in terms of executing a plan, but Brock's dangerous level of execution is in his sheer strength, agility, (wrestling) competition experience and general athleticism. He's abnormal in terms of size AND speed.

Brock isn't a Bob Sapp fighter, which he gets ignorantly categorized as. Sapp is 99% size & brute strength, but talent, agility, conditioning, speed, tenacity, instinct are all divided into that last 1%. I don't know what Brock's ratio in those terms would be, but the talent, agility, conditioning, speed, tenacity, instinct portion would be at a respectable level, on top of how overwhelming his strength & size is.

[I have to throw in Mirko's signature high kick in the mix, too. If anyone was "expected" to do something with 100% probability, it was Mirko's high kick, but he excelled at that, in terms of speed, timing and instinct "at the time." RIP]

In closing, I don't think Brock is the best fighter or anywhere near it, I don't think Brock is anywhere, ANYWHERE near unbeatable, even by Mir, but I do have high hopes for Brock. I admire his freakish athleticism more then his MMA talent, but I also recognized as soon as he got on the scene, that with that much raw athleticism, he would have great potential for MMA.

I'm much more excited about Brock's potential, then where he stands currently (notwithstanding tomorrow's fight).
    NSCA - CSCS
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.

Indeed his potential will bring and has already brought a lot more excitement to UFC's HW division.
  13. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    Agreed. Knowing someone's game plan isn't as great of an advantage if that person excels at executing it. Por jemplo, GSP's game plan is quite predictable, poke, determine spatial & pace variables, the take is coming for SURE, wrestling will be a 99% chance probability in the fight. Every KNOWS the takedown is coming, but nobody has been able to stop it.

Obviously Brock isn't anywhere near the technician GSP is in terms of executing a plan, but Brock's dangerous level of execution is in his sheer strength, agility, (wrestling) competition experience and general athleticism. He's abnormal in terms of size AND speed.

Brock isn't a Bob Sapp fighter, which he gets ignorantly categorized as. Sapp is 99% size & brute strength, but talent, agility, conditioning, speed, tenacity, instinct are all divided into that last 1%. I don't know what Brock's ratio in those terms would be, but the talent, agility, conditioning, speed, tenacity, instinct portion would be at a respectable level, on top of how overwhelming his strength & size is.

[I have to throw in Mirko's signature high kick in the mix, too. If anyone was "expected" to do something with 100% probability, it was Mirko's high kick, but he excelled at that, in terms of speed, timing and instinct "at the time." RIP]

In closing, I don't think Brock is the best fighter or anywhere near it, I don't think Brock is anywhere, ANYWHERE near unbeatable, even by Mir, but I do have high hopes for Brock. I admire his freakish athleticism more then his MMA talent, but I also recognized as soon as he got on the scene, that with that much raw athleticism, he would have great potential for MMA.

I'm much more excited about Brock's potential, then where he stands currently (notwithstanding tomorrow's fight).
    Exactly. Game-plans are wonderful, but: the execution depends solely on the fighter, who either makes it predictable, or difficult to stop. As you said, speed and agility play largely into whether or not a game plan is effective; for example, GSP's TDs are the most effective in MMA because of his timing and ability to vary his striking. Brock is inexperienced, and Mir is dangerous in guard, but Mir is a perfect match-up for Brock: Mir will not stop his TDs, most likely cannot knock him out, is susceptible to the "canned-ham" jab. I still give Mir a chance in this fight, but Brock is too imposing, IMO.

War GSP.
  14. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

P.S.,

What makes Mir dangerous is that he can pull a submission victory, even while being dominated, as he aptly showed in the first fight; same goes with Thiago, but for striking.
  15. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.

P.S.,

What makes Mir dangerous is that he can pull a submission victory, even while being dominated, as he aptly showed in the first fight; same goes with Thiago, but for striking.

Thats true but as Brocks trainer said in the pre show the other day... it may not have happened if Steve M hadn't stood them up..

Brock: "I'd like to punch that mustach off his face!"
  16. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

P.S.,

Yep, Mir exploited a window of opportunity admirably, to my dismay. I consider a sub by Mir a dangerous and likely outcome. If Mir wins by sub, I'd be severely disappointed, but not shocked & crushed. However, if Mir for some reason wins on his feet, I'm quitting my job.
    NSCA - CSCS
  17. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

Yep, Mir exploited a window of opportunity admirably, to my dismay. I consider a sub by Mir a dangerous and likely outcome. If Mir wins by sub, I'd be severely disappointed, but not shocked & crushed. However, if Mir for some reason wins on his feet, I'm quitting my job.
    Haha. Either way, I am not going to see this bout. If GSP wins, I will be running naked through the streets with a Canadian flag draped on my back; if he loses, I will string up.
  18. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.

You're refusing to watch the final bout??
  19. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Canadian Bill of Lefts, Section I, Paragraph 3(a)(iii).: Thou art under oath, with unwavering duty, regarding and aboot the wrapping of our Canadia's flag nigh ye unclothen cornhole and run ye aboot the streets at the resolve of any and all Georges Saint Pierre's fights, with undaunted expedience.

However, thus thou, ye must string ye nigh the flag of our Canadia, in the unjust outcome of a loss, and in ye thy circumstance of said lost, thou whilst henceforth, slain ye, the closest American, sellah.

[Personally, I think this article is whack, but Mullet is a bit of a patriot.]
    NSCA - CSCS
  20. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.

I found Saint Pierre much better than Saint Peter.
  21. Banned
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.

Ya he looks ripped cause hes on fckn cycle....and just before he will come off and hope to not get drug tested...in fact I dont think heavy weights get drug tested.

my 2c, but also look at old pictures of Randy Couture, and GSP, CLEARLY CLEARLY ON SOMETHING!

they dont drug test everyone and I have some inside people who say 95% of these dudes use something and just PCT a few weeks before their matches.

Also even though Mir looks great...Brock is still WAY bigger and way meaner of a fckn dude, he gave away that last fight to Mir, he was Killing Mir and walked right into that submission.

I predict a good fight, but in the end Mir is gonna get slammed on his head
  22. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by searl12 View Post
    Ya he looks ripped cause hes on fckn cycle....and just before he will come off and hope to not get drug tested...in fact I dont think heavy weights get drug tested.

my 2c, but also look at old pictures of Randy Couture, and GSP, CLEARLY CLEARLY ON SOMETHING!

they dont drug test everyone and I have some inside people who say 95% of these dudes use something and just PCT a few weeks before their matches.

Also even though Mir looks great...Brock is still WAY bigger and way meaner of a fckn dude, he gave away that last fight to Mir, he was Killing Mir and walked right into that submission.

I predict a good fight, but in the end Mir is gonna get slammed on his head
    Swing and a miss. Most of the fighters, especially the main events/title fights, are always tested several weeks prior and immediately after the fight. Testing is not mandated by weight class; that's just a ridiculous statement.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  23. Banned
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.

And you 100% positive every guy gets tested? that every guy in the UFC is clean?
    did u see Chris Lebian s transformation? I dont need someone to tell me it was a natural transformation, and there are ways to get around fckn drug tests.

your one of those guys that thinks all pro athletes are natural too arent you?

you keep believing that dude, and up until not too long ago NONE OF THEM were tested, that im positive of.

On another note I have never gotten a response from you that has any fckn respect in it at all, I got an idea take your responses to what i say and fck yourself with them cause im tired of the way you continue to respond to me.
  24. Banned
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.

one more thing, your the guy who argued with me for an hour saying there was no proof that steroids are bad for you. tell that to flex wheeler, steve stone , Don Long etc etc etc
  25. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

Canadian Bill of Lefts, Section I, Paragraph 3(a)(iii).: Thou art under oath, with unwavering duty, regarding and aboot the wrapping of our Canadia's flag nigh ye unclothen cornhole and run ye aboot the streets at the resolve of any and all Georges Saint Pierre's fights, with undaunted expedience.

However, thus thou, ye must string ye nigh the flag of our Canadia, in the unjust outcome of a loss, and in ye thy circumstance of said lost, thou whilst henceforth, slain ye, the closest American, sellah.

[Personally, I think this article is whack, but Mullet is a bit of a patriot.]
    I am a man of my country.

I believe you hadn't started posting here yet, but upon GSP's last loss I stopped watching MMA for about four months; I wouldn't even speak about it. If GSP lost to Alves, I would most likely record the final bout to watch several months down the road, when I became interested again.
  26. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

And you 100% positive every guy gets tested? that every guy in the UFC is clean?
    did u see Chris Lebian s transformation? I dont need someone to tell me it was a natural transformation, and there are ways to get around fckn drug tests.

your one of those guys that thinks all pro athletes are natural too arent you?

you keep believing that dude, and up until not too long ago NONE OF THEM were tested, that im positive of.

On another note I have never gotten a response from you that has any fckn respect in it at all, I got an idea take your responses to what i say and fck yourself with them cause im tired of the way you continue to respond to me.
    Steroid use is certainly prevalent in other major sports, so your point is well made; however, the NSAC regulates drug-testing much more stringently than other sports. I have included an addendum to the NSAC's current drug policies, which outlines more frequent testing, and the consequences of violating the terms thereof. Fighters are subject to pre/post-fight testing, testing on the suspicion of drug use, and additional, random tests throughout the year; further, if any of the conditions of these tests - timeframes and quality of sample - are not met, the fighter can face consequences. When it drug-use, I feel the UFC's athletes are much cleaner than other major sports.

Picture 1.jpg
  27. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.

I am a man of my country.

I believe you hadn't started posting here yet, but upon GSP's last loss I stopped watching MMA for about four months; I wouldn't even speak about it. If GSP lost to Alves, I would most likely record the final bout to watch several months down the road, when I became interested again.
    Haha! Point taken. I may join your efforts if some of my picks including GSP,..... I'm not gonna even say the L word. And I don't mean Lesbian.
  28. Banned
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.

well put but can you explain to me then where some of these guys physiques come from? I mean some of these guys are so clearly juiced its laughable, again I havent followed the sport in a few years but...do you remember Matthughes physique when he was on top? well I certainly remember him not canging weight classes...but his physique deflated over a few months when drug testing became more of the norm, same for rich Frankland AND gsp.

So you know what maybe its not as bad as I stated, but it sure as hell was 2-3 years ago, and honestly it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure it out, all you have to do is look at certain physiques and most times you can tell.

Anyways the idea that these guys dont know a way around the tests to me is laughable.

Im sure Radja is trying his best now to have me banned, and if thats your style you go right ahead, all I see from you is cynical, sarcastic posts. Just because someone has a different opinion than him.
  29. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

well put but can you explain to me then where some of these guys physiques come from? I mean some of these guys are so clearly juiced its laughable, again I havent followed the sport in a few years but...do you remember Matthughes physique when he was on top? well I certainly remember him not canging weight classes...but his physique deflated over a few months when drug testing became more of the norm, same for rich Frankland AND gsp.

So you know what maybe its not as bad as I stated, but it sure as hell was 2-3 years ago, and honestly it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure it out, all you have to do is look at certain physiques and most times you can tell.

Anyways the idea that these guys dont know a way around the tests to me is laughable.

Im sure Radja is trying his best now to have me banned, and if thats your style you go right ahead, all I see from you is cynical, sarcastic posts. Just because someone has a different opinion than him.
    Well, with all due respect, GSP's physique has very incrementally increased from fight-to-fight and year-to-year, with no real precipitous increases in mass; and, in fact, for the Fitch fight he down-sized to be more agile and quick. Georges is a master tactician, and this includes every minute detail down to his S&C and nutrition. I have no doubts in my mind he can manipulate his LBM without the use of banned substances. I cannot speak for some of the other fighters, and for them you very well may be right. To my knowledge, and from his comments on Canadian radio, GSP has been the ire of the NSAC due to ass-hats like BJ whining about his physique; to date, he has been absolutely clean.
  30. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

Haha! Point taken. I may join your efforts if some of my picks including GSP,..... I'm not gonna even say the L word. And I don't mean Lesbian.
    Yeah, I don't want to jinx anything. I am not kidding when I say I stopped watching. If you look in the MMA forum from April '07 to about September '07, you will notice my posting is little-to-none, haha.
  31. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.

Bj could use a cycle

Mir also has had plenty of time to build muscle since he "pulled that knee" or whatever. Maybe it was something else. None the less he was probably praying for some reason to take time and bulk.
  32. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  197 lbs.

Bj could use a cycle

Mir also has had plenty of time to build muscle since he "pulled that knee" or whatever. Maybe it was something else. None the less he was probably praying for some reason to take time and bulk.

Like it or not....I think GSP looks juiced and I am Canadian. He just might be a freak of nature but he sure does have nips that look juiced.
  33. Banned
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.

im a canuck too and I love GSP, WITHOUT A DOUBT at some point in the year all these guys use something either to cut, to gain strength or to bulk.

Why wouldnt they? million$ contracts, endorsements.... its so obvious to me like I said its laughable.
  34. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by luclyluciano View Post
    Like it or not....I think GSP looks juiced and I am Canadian. He just might be a freak of nature but he sure does have nips that look juiced.
    im a canuck too and I love GSP, WITHOUT A DOUBT at some point in the year all these guys use something either to cut, to gain strength or to bulk.

Why wouldnt they? million$ contracts, endorsements.... its so obvious to me like I said its laughable.
    Maybe, but probably not. We see guys getting nabbed for illegitimate false-positives in their urinalysis, so we would certainly see a true test. As I said, the NSAC can test an approved fighter based on suspicion, which is not a privilege any of the major sports have. I can see what you two are saying, but: when you break it down logically, and practically, it is probably not the case for active fighters. They are tested pre-fight, post-fight, and randomly. So where does that leave them to cycle? The interim period between a fight, maybe; however, given the half-life of the compounds they would be using [injectables] and the half-lives of auxillary compounds and the like, this does not leave them much time. The timelines simply do not match-up. This is not the one-time "random" testing of the NFL where the teams are alerted ahead of time, and they are never tested again.
  35. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  182 lbs.

The weigh-ins for those who missed them.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4jQ4bLAPgI"]YouTube - UFC 100 Weigh-Ins - Brock Lesnar vs Frank Mir - July 10, 2009[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM1VnrqbERQ"]YouTube - UFC 100 Weigh-Ins - Georges St-Pierre vs Thiago Alves - July 10, 2009[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pciv8kAMYM"]YouTube - UFC 100 Weigh-Ins - Dan Henderson vs Michael Bisping - July 10, 2009[/ame]
  36. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.

Maybe, but probably not. We see guys getting nabbed for illegitimate false-positives in their urinalysis, so we would certainly see a true test. As I said, the NSAC can test an approved fighter based on suspicion, which is not a privilege any of the major sports have. I can see what you two are saying, but: when you break it down logically, and practically, it is probably not the case for active fighters. They are tested pre-fight, post-fight, and randomly. So where does that leave them to cycle? The interim period between a fight, maybe; however, given the half-life of the compounds they would be using [injectables] and the half-lives of auxillary compounds and the like, this does not leave them much time. The timelines simply do not match-up. This is not the one-time "random" testing of the NFL where the teams are alerted ahead of time, and they are never tested again.
    You may believe that, and sometimes I question it myself as well. But the thing is, either they do a great job to not be discovered or it doesn't happen, as they are tested very very oftenly.

Let's not forget, about thousands of people try to make it in this sport, and only a very few select individuals are able to make it. The ones that are able to make it most likely are the ones more suitable to this (IE: best chin, which is pretty much untrainable, and best suitable to maintain a very good phisique).

I may be hiting a miss on this one, but look at Robdog when he competed. He looked like he was a freaking oversized LHW. Did I think he was on a major series of roids? Yes I do. But his phisique is just able to support that. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he did steroids to achieve such condition (rodja will be able to clarify this one better since he's in his corner). And if so, there's your example, someone who looks like he's on a load of steroids but in fact isn't.
  37. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

LOL, man, Brock looked like he wanted to swing on Mir right then. They both look good though. I think this is the best I've seen Frank and Brock looked slightly leaner then usual.
    NSCA - CSCS
  38. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by bla55 View Post
    You may believe that, and sometimes I question it myself as well. But the thing is, either they do a great job to not be discovered or it doesn't happen, as they are tested very very oftenly.

Let's not forget, about thousands of people try to make it in this sport, and only a very few select individuals are able to make it. The ones that are able to make it most likely are the ones more suitable to this (IE: best chin, which is pretty much untrainable, and best suitable to maintain a very good phisique).

I may be hiting a miss on this one, but look at Robdog when he competed. He looked like he was a freaking oversized LHW. Did I think he was on a major series of roids? Yes I do. But his phisique is just able to support that. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he did steroids to achieve such condition (rodja will be able to clarify this one better since he's in his corner). And if so, there's your example, someone who looks like he's on a load of steroids but in fact isn't.
    Oh definitely. Here is the thing: I am not saying it never happens, but merely it is harder than in other sports. As per BJ's whiney request, Georges was tested [I believe] three times in-and-around that fight. (GSP was on a French-Canadian talk-show, talking about BJ's steroid allegations.) If it was prevalent as some make it seem, we would hear more about it.

As well, I agree with your 1/1000 making it analysis, but consider it differently: from my perspective, that means many of these guys are 1/1000 athletes. What this means is that, for all intents and purposes, they have body frames, skeletal-muscular systems and nervous systems far beyond the capacity of the average joe - i.e., like a Koschek, they need little in the way of weight training to obtain those physiques.
  39. Banned

im hoping for a submition from mir. i want mir to win
  40. Banned
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.

I am very impressed with Mirs conditioning....I have never ever seen him look that good, either he's trained is butt off or he s using the Clear., lol Jk they both look huge and mean don' t they, imagine making the mistake at a bar of pssing Mir off not knowing what type of machine he was.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Frank Shamrock
    By PHWSSJ in forum MMA
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 07-13-2007, 07:10 PM
  2. What happened to Frank Mir ?
    By okboy63 in forum MMA
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-08-2006, 06:36 PM