Frank Mir is looking ripped!

Page 2 of 8 First 1234 ... Last

1. Quote Originally Posted by AE14 View Post
    I know what you mean, people have bitched and moaned about Brock's attitude, but he is a salesman, in the same fashion other fighters are. The guy trains like a freak
    Definitely. I honestly find his attitude refreshing; he is a classic heel to be juxtaposed against the quiet and noble Rog Nog (eg). He makes things interesting.

2. Everyone talks about fedor. Everyone talked about cro cop and hendo....look what happened to them.
    •   

3. I don't see Fedor near a UFC cage. Right now if Brock wins, it is his belt for a while. Eventhough he is 32, he is a young 32 and is still learning and growing which is scary.

Overall I am psyched for this card, as it is very deep.

4. Fedor destroyed Tim in ... what.. 26 seconds. Took AA down in one round. Yeah, cro cop had a bit of hype but he still has a knockout cannon set of legs. He was just better in the ring than the cage. Plus he's more of lt hvy and just won't go down a class.

Go watch some Fedor fights and then come back and tell me where you think his weakness is and what Brock brings to the table that will topple him.

5. Fedor will probably never go to the UFC and that is just a sad fact of life.

LOL when some1 said Brock drives at Geo whether its true or not its hilarious to imagine.
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk88 View Post
    Fedor will probably never go to the UFC and that is just a sad fact of life.

LOL when some1 said Brock drives at Geo whether its true or not its hilarious to imagine.
    Haha, it is. Check out his UFC all-access. He drives a Geo home from the gym.

7. what a douche. How does Mir brag about a 90 sec win when he knows that if that retarded @$$ judge didn't suspiciously pull Brock off, Brock might have had a 30 sec win over him. I understand a victory is the bottom line, but mediating variables to that degree aren't aspects you shrug. Mir also talks like he's the only one that's progressed since his fight with Brock. Does he think Brock stopped training since his Mir fight and stopped progressing himself? Sure Mir whooped on Nogueira, (quasi-props) but that was a lame duck version of Nogueira he fought.

That said, Mir does look pretty good, physique wise, his shoulders looked solid, but I hope he gets crushed.
    NSCA - CSCS

8. Quote Originally Posted by kjkriston View Post
    Everyone talks about fedor. Everyone talked about cro cop and hendo....look what happened to them.
    Everyone still talks about Fedor and he keeps winning.... so that was a bad example. Cro Cop and Hendo, yeah.... I have no defense (and Cro Cop was my boy).
    NSCA - CSCS

9. Quote Originally Posted by AE14 View Post
    I know what you mean, people have bitched and moaned about Brock's attitude, but he is a salesman, in the same fashion other fighters are. The guy trains like a freak
    I had the same discussion with Mullet elsewhere. He's humble in real life, but he still instinctively sells his character, so I can see where people who base their disdain on the "can you see me now!?!" moment. However, in real life, he's humble, works like an ox, has heart for what he does, and realizes charisma is marketable.
    NSCA - CSCS

10. I don't care who wins. I hope it's a good fight and last a couple of rounds. Looking forward to it.

Mir def. does look like he is in shape for this fight.

11. Fedor's injuries will end his career far before a "peak" in the ufc. Hendo, wandy and cro crops better days are behind them. Id like to see cain velasquez, manhoof and cyborg come over.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om3sZo9KIxI"]YouTube - Cyborg vs Manhoef[/ame]

12. Quote Originally Posted by Doogsy123 View Post
    Wow Mir has my right arm aliment! That left bi is much bigger than the other. No pocket pool before a fight.
    You would think protein shakes alone are less superior to real meats but none the less interesting...

13. Quote Originally Posted by UGHQTempus View Post
    And when the UFC signs Fedor none of this will matter.
    I think Dana mentioned that he'd be interested in signing Barnett is he beats Fedor... but he didn't mention wanting Fedora

14. Quote Originally Posted by somewhatgifted View Post
    Fedor's injuries will end his career far before a "peak" in the ufc. Hendo, wandy and cro crops better days are behind them. Id like to see cain velasquez, manhoof and cyborg come over.

Holy fcuk! Cyborg has one heck of a chin I'll tell you that much, damn.

15. Quote Originally Posted by bla55 View Post
    That dude took more shots to the face than Jenna Jameson.....

16. I would really like to see Brock win even though I like Mir a lot! Then I want to see Shane Carwin beat Cain and then I want to see Brock vs Shane. Imagine those 2 big mofos square off.

17. hhahaha i like cain a lot but carwin is so fuking sick. that little punch of his could knock someone out. the HW's are more exciting now but i feel like if they lose 2 in a row they leave unlike other classes. i hope out of this next season of TUF some good HW's stick around.

18. Quote Originally Posted by bla55 View Post
    Im suprised noone talks about that fight more often, what a war.

19. Quote Originally Posted by kjkriston View Post
    Everyone talks about fedor. Everyone talked about cro cop and hendo....look what happened to them.
    Difference is Fedor is the better fighter. Plus Cro cop is not the same crocop that fought in Japan, plain and simple. Fedor is an amazing fighter, and has plenty of matches to prove it. The only thing that irritates me is all kinds of people jumping on the Fedor wagon after watching the affliction fights and saying hes the best, yet they knew nothing about him before then or in pride. Ive followed Fedor back in pride and at the sambo/combat sambo championships,.. the guy is a machine, and I dont think he is hyped at all.

I cant remember off the top of my head when, but there was a "supposed" contract sign and meet a while back between Dana and Fedor, years ago. I think one of them pulled out at the last minute. But,.. who knows...

20. Funny thing is people will still hate Brock even if he blows through Mir with brute force and little technique. But if its close and say he wins or loses but shows some ground defense or jj or something that shows he's got more going on in his head other than SMASHY SMASHY, then more people will walk away from this fight saying man I wanna see him fight again. Kinda like (not really all that similar in form) Jardine IMO. I'm kinda looking forward to seeing him up against TS because he showed some heart in his last fight against Rampage. Seeing him fight a crazy hard and arguably close fight has won me over. Now I'm not saying Brock doesn't have heart, but I'm hoping to see a mixed martial artist.

As far as Fedor I think from the sound of it Dana is tired of hearing his name but if and when Affliction is a thing of the past then Dana would be stupid not to bring him in. He can fight Kimbo Slice in Dana's back yard or something.

21. NO!! EVEN BETTER.

Dana will have Fedor live in the house with other heavy weights on next season's TUF!!
    =))

22. Quote Originally Posted by Silver3CSRT8 View Post
    I would really like to see Brock win even though I like Mir a lot! Then I want to see Shane Carwin beat Cain and then I want to see Brock vs Shane. Imagine those 2 big mofos square off.
    I like Carwin as well, however I think Cain beats him. I do think Cain will have a very difficult time with Lesnar though

23. I think the best chance we have at seeing Fedor in the UFC is if all these once every so often fight promotions(who pay fighters a crap load of money) go under otherwise it doesn't seem reasonable to think Fedor is going to say no to 1 fight contracts worth more and no limitations. Plus why would Dana want Fedor for 1 fight? WHEN Fedor wins and gets the common UFC fans attention then they will watch the next fight promotion Fedor is a part of. Just a thought.

24. I agree with everything, save for the very last part. At this point, "the" UFC is a brand, which entails certain advantages; namely, that the assets that make up your brand (fighters) are expendable, while the brand is ultimate. The NBA kept going without Jordan, the NHL kept going without Gretzky, the NFL lived on after Montana, and so on. What differentiates the UFC from other promotions is that, for the most part, people watch the UFC, rather than an individual fighter within it; as a result, Fee-yay-dor could come and go with little consequence, unfortunately.

25. I do agree with the whole "the sport is bigger than one athlete" idea but do you seriously think Dana wants to risk having his fans fall in love with another fighter then that fighter goes on to another promotion after destroying 1 of Dana's fighters? Dana seems to have a decent idea of how things will play out.
    Plus it is one thing for an asset to retire its another thing for an asset to go to another brand.

26. Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk88 View Post
    I do agree with the whole "the sport is bigger than one athlete" idea but do you seriously think Dana wants to risk having his fans fall in love with another fighter then that fighter goes on to another promotion after destroying 1 of Dana's fighters? Dana seems to have a decent idea of how things will play out.
    Plus it is one thing for an asset to retire its another thing for an asset to go to another brand.
    I see your point, but again I have to disagree. If your premise held true, then the UFC would have suffered in the wide-range of circumstances that fighters left for other organizations. Unfortunately, the casual, domestic fan is highly unfamiliar with Fedor, and would likely be un-phased by a quick departure on his part.

You have to understand that 95% of the UFC's audience is not watching "a" fighter, they are watching "the" UFC; in reality, the fighters that comprise the UFC at any given time are somewhat incidental to the entire activity. The UFC is now a functioning league, and therefore any one fighter's impact at any given time can be chalked up as secondary to the motion of the league as a whole.

Fedor would come in, destroy his competition, leave, and most people would forget he existed in due time. The Ferittas and Dana White are nothing if not phenomenal marketers, and "this thing" that Dana incessantly ****ing refers to ad nauseum is now a brand that is primary to the fighters. Again, I say this not endorsing it, as it is really unfortunate; however, it's the truth.

27. I'm sure this has already been discussed elsewhere, but since we're on the subject of the big boys, what do you think of Bobby Lashley? I don't have a cultured of an eye as the most of you for observing the technicalities of a great execution, but he seems really explosive with those single leg TD's, and he hits it with intent. His punches also look like they have power behind them and not just strength.
    NSCA - CSCS

28. I think the comparisons between Brock and Lashley are bound to emerge, but I see a fundamental difference between them at this point: refinement. From my perspective, Brock's overall MMA game seems much more refined than Lashley's, particularly his stance, angles and execution in the stand-up. I also never noted what Jas said, which was that Lashley is nowhere near the natural giant that Brock is: he wrestled at a much lighter weight in University, and is mostly excess muscle. I think his management his handling him great, however, and I would expect to see him against an Arlovski or Buenetello soon.

29. Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    I think the comparisons between Brock and Lashley are bound to emerge, but I see a fundamental difference between them at this point: refinement. From my perspective, Brock's overall MMA game seems much more refined than Lashley's, particularly his stance, angles and execution in the stand-up. I also never noted what Jas said, which was that Lashley is nowhere near the natural giant that Brock is: he wrestled at a much lighter weight in University, and is mostly excess muscle. I think his management his handling him great, however, and I would expect to see him against an Arlovski or Buenetello soon.
    Ahhhh... a naturally larger & heavier bone structure has a different set of benefits then having that size primarily through muscle. The first little thing with potentially large implications that comes to mind are simply some of the neural aspects laced in an inherently larger structure. More motor units? Larger sarcolemma for greater calcium release? All of which are related to greater force production. A different and more brick wall-like type of weight behind the punches.... hmm, that's an interesting point. Does that contemplative cool-point go to you or Jas?
    NSCA - CSCS

30. Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    Ahhhh... a naturally larger & heavier bone structure has a different set of benefits then having that size primarily through muscle. The first little thing with potentially large implications that comes to mind are simply some of the neural aspects laced in an inherently larger structure. More motor units? Larger sarcolemma for greater calcium release? All of which are related to greater force production. A different and more brick wall-like type of weight behind the punches.... hmm, that's an interesting point. Does that contemplative cool-point go to you or Jas?
    That is all Jas. As you know, a naturally larger body with Brock will also inherently come equipped with a greater proportionate endurance; all that muscle requires a massive amount of aerobic/anaerobic metabolism. Combined, this leads to high fatigue. Brock, on the other hand, has been training with that size of a body his entire life.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Frank Shamrock
    By PHWSSJ in forum MMA
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 07-13-2007, 08:10 PM
  2. What happened to Frank Mir ?
    By okboy63 in forum MMA
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-08-2006, 07:36 PM