Long Readbut Will Make You Think Twice About Fish Oils !!

wideguy

wideguy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Was there a link to where you can buy the oil complex spoken about? PEO'S btw I wonder how Udo's oil compairs?

rick055

Awards
  • Established
Isn't this an "everything in moderation" kind of argument?

Would one or two fish oil pills constitute megadosing?

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
Would anyone who has read this mind giving a two-minute version of what it's about? I don't know when I'll find the time to sit down and read the entire thing. I'd love to, I just can't...

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
I am taking 2 pills of

http://www.lef.org/newshop/items/item00982.html
Super Omega-3 EPA/DHA with Sesame Lignans & Olive Fruit Extract
120 softgels
Item Catalog Number: 982

Pure+™ Wild Fish Oil Concentrate
2000 mg

Yielding

EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid)
700 mg

DHA (docosahexaenoic acid)
500 mg

Other Omega-3 fatty acids
100 mg

Polyphen-Oil™ Olive (Olea europa) Fruit Extract
300 mg

[std. to 8% total polyphenols (24 mg), 0.7% hydroxytyrosol (2.1 mg), 0.3% oleuropein (0.9 mg) and 0.5% verbascoside (1.5 mg)]

Sesame seed (Sesamum indicum) lignan extract
10 mg
===========================================
For the (about) two months I also use one tablespoon of
Carlson
the very finest
Fish oil

Should I drop anything, if yes I would rather drop Carlson.

I also use
Super CLA Blend with Guarana and Sesame Lignans
1000 mg, 120 softgels
Item Catalog Number: 819

does it get into picture here?

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
I am taking 2 pills of

Super Omega-3 Epa/Dha With Sesame Lignans & Olive Fruit Extract, 120 Softgels
120 softgels
Item Catalog Number: 982

Pure+™ Wild Fish Oil Concentrate
2000 mg

Yielding

EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid)
700 mg

DHA (docosahexaenoic acid)
500 mg

Other Omega-3 fatty acids
100 mg

Polyphen-Oil™ Olive (Olea europa) Fruit Extract
300 mg

[std. to 8% total polyphenols (24 mg), 0.7% hydroxytyrosol (2.1 mg), 0.3% oleuropein (0.9 mg) and 0.5% verbascoside (1.5 mg)]

Sesame seed (Sesamum indicum) lignan extract
10 mg
For the (about) two months I also use one tablespoon of
Carlson
the very finest
Fish oil

Should I drop anything, if yes I would rather drop Carlson.

I also use
Super CLA Blend with Guarana and Sesame Lignans
1000 mg, 120 softgels
Item Catalog Number: 819

does it get into picture here?
THis is why I suggest people to have reason for taking specific supplements AKA fish oils and flaxseed. I admit a teaspoon will not hurt you but if you eat fish there is no need for it. These idiots on other boards taking 3 TBSP of fish oil a day are just asking for trouble.. In another month or so I am going to have my RBC fatty acid check for EPA,dha, AA , LNA, LA because that is where i need to see the imbalance are and if they have been corrected. Since I know now what I do not hav to get all the EFAS done and just get ones i need.

As I have been preaching many times before correct 6:3 ratio is essentual for proper cell membrane functioning and in the human body is between 2-4: 1 6:3. I was a flaxseed oil freak for many years and my estrogens where never out of wack, but the balance of 6:3 was severly skewed and was I beleive the primary cause of my illness from 4 years ago. So for now I am using hempseed oil 2 TBSP daily and cutting back on fiber a bit since it does bind with fat if too much is present in a meal which my cholesterol has been reflecting for several years...my diet will br 40% fat 30% carbs and protein with 1/3 coming from saturated, mono, poly saturates. I know that fat decrease shbg and this is a proven fat. If iwas taking 50 grams of fiber a day and barely getting 40 grams of fat. it was basically being absorbed and pushed out by the fiber since it is common knowledge that fiber absorbs fat which could be explaining all of my lipid levels being incredible low as well as cholesterol..

BigJimCalhoun

Awards
Can you sum up the paper mentioned

How do you like the hemp stuff? Are you subject to drug tests for your employer?

Kasumeat

Awards
It basically says that the reported levels of O6:O3 in the average diet may be much less than the ratios suggested by some researches as high as 40:1. Most are still deficient, and would benefit from moderate supplementation.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
THis is why I suggest people to have reason for taking specific supplements AKA fish oils and flaxseed. I admit a teaspoon will not hurt you but if you eat fish there is no need for it. These idiots on other boards taking 3 TBSP of fish oil a day are just asking for trouble.. In another month or so I am going to have my RBC fatty acid check for EPA,dha, AA , LNA, LA because that is where i need to see the imbalance are and if they have been corrected. Since I know now what I do not hav to get all the EFAS done and just get ones i need.
As I have been preaching many times before correct 6:3 ratio is essentual for proper cell membrane functioning and in the human body is between 2-4: 1 6:3. I was a flaxseed oil freak for many years and my estrogens where never out of wack, but the balance of 6:3 was severly skewed and was I beleive the primary cause of my illness from 4 years ago. So for now I am using hempseed oil 2 TBSP daily and cutting back on fiber a bit since it does bind with fat if too much is present in a meal which my cholesterol has been reflecting for several years...my diet will br 40% fat 30% carbs and protein with 1/3 coming from saturated, mono, poly saturates. I know that fat decrease shbg and this is a proven fat. If iwas taking 50 grams of fiber a day and barely getting 40 grams of fat. it was basically being absorbed and pushed out by the fiber since it is common knowledge that fiber absorbs fat which could be explaining all of my lipid levels being incredible low as well as cholesterol..
Thank you HAN;

What test are you going to have?

Genova have

Essential and Metabolic Fatty Acids (RBC) test

GDX Essential and Metabolic Fatty Acids Assessment

sample report on test results

http://www.gdx.net/images/reportpdf/emfa.pdf

Wonder what criteria to use when figuring out that money spend on this test is well spend.

rick055

Awards
  • Established
HAN-

Would it be fair to say that if someone was not regularly eating fish (maybe a can of tuna per day) that taking one or two fish oil pills would still be a good idea?

ECTOmorph

ECTOmorph

Awards
  • Established
People die from too much water. Anything is a poison at a certain dose. Fish oil is EXTREMELY good for you!

10 Reasons Fish Oils are Essential

Fish oils, rich in the Omega-3 fatty acids may help prevent depression, stabilize the moods of maniac-depressives, and alleviate symptoms of schizophrenia.
University of California's Johnsson Cancer Center, Los Angeles, CA health.com

Fish oils is one of the few substances known to lower concentrations of triglycerides (fatty substances) that pose a cardiovascular risk, in the blood.
J Raloff Science News

Increasing the amount of Omega-3 fatty acids has direct effects on serotonin levels.
Andrew Stoll M.D.1999 Archives of General Psychiatry

Fish oils, eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) help prevent heart disease, depression, and cancer.
Hans R. Larsen, Msc chE "Fish Oils: The Essential Nutrients" International Health News

Research has shown that supplementation with fish oils can markedly reduce interlukin-1beta production and results in a significant reduction in morning stiffness and the number of painful joints in rheumatoid arthritis patients.
Darlington, L Gail and Stone, Trevor W. Antioxidants and fatty acids in the amelioration of rheumatoid arthritis and related disorders. British Journal of Nutrition, Vol. 85, March 2001, pp.251-69. Oilofpisces.com

Several clinical trials have concluded that eating fish regularly or supplementing with fish oils can reduce the risk of sudden cardiac death by as much as 50%.
Bigger,J. Thomas and El-Sherif, Tarek. Polyunsaturated fatty acids and cardiovascular events: a fish tale. Circulation, Vol.103, February 6, 2001, pp623-25 (editorial). Oilofpisces.com

Researchers at Mayo Clinic report that supplementation with fish oils, EPA and DHA is highly effective in slowing down the progression of IgA nephropathy, a common kidney disease.
Donadio, James V.,et al. A controlled trial of fish oil in IgA nephropathy. New England Journal of Medicine, Vol 331 November 3, 1994, pp1194-99 Van Ypersele de Strihou, Charles. Fish oil for IgA nephropathy? New England Journal of Medicine, Vol 331, November 3, 1994, pp 1227-29 (editorial). Oilofpisces.com

Epidemiological studies have shown that populations with a high intake of fish oils have a lower incidence of inflammatory diseases such as asthma.
Dry J. and Vincent D. Effect of a Fish oil diet on asthma: results of a 1-year double bind study. Int Arch Allerguy Appl Immurol, Vol.95, 1991,pp.156-57. Oilofpisces.com

Researchers at The University of Tromso now report that fish oil supplementation lowers blood pressure significantly in people with hypertension and has no effect on glucose control even in people with mid diabetes.
Toft, Ingrid, et al. Effects of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids on glucose homeostasis and blood pressure in essential hypertension. Annals of Internal Medicine, Vol 123, No 12, December 15, 1995, pp 911-18. Connor, William E. Diabetes, fish oil, and vascular disease. Annals of Internal Medicine, Vol 123, No 12, December 15, 1995, pp950-52. Oilofpisces.com.

Medical researchers in New Zealand provide convincing evidence that an increased consumption of fish oils helps reduce the risk of developing prostate cancer.
Norrish, A,E, et al. Prostate cancer risk and consumption of fish oils: A dietary biomaker-based case-control study. British Journal of Cancer, Vol. 81, No.7, December 1999, pp.1238-42
---------------------------------------------------------------

Q: What's one supplement that every athlete, weekend warrior, and basically any active person should be taking daily?

A: Fish oil. I was first introduced to fish oil twelve years ago by my friend Mauro DiPasquale. I was over at his house and he had fish oil on the counter. I asked him what he used it for and he said, "Charles, this is the most important supplement ever."

He told me to go to Medline and punch in any disease known to man and the words "fish oil" beside it. He challenged me to find a study that didn't show how fish oil could benefit in the treatment of any disease. I gave up after 86 studies!

Why is it so beneficial? It's in our genes. Humans used to consume 300-400 grams of omega-3s per week. If we consume more than two grams a day now it's considered a lot.

There was a study published four years ago that showed that if the US government issued three grams of fish oil per day to American citizens, then the amount of cancer and heart disease would go down by 50% within one year. Most readers don't care about cancer and heart disease, but they may care about this: the biggest limiting factor in naturally training people to getting lean and adding muscle is the consumption (or lack thereof) of omega-3s.

Looking at the body structure of cavemen, they had a lot of muscle mass compared to modern man. They got their omega-3s through the meats they ate. Now, they often ate what the predators left. For example, a lion will eat an antelope from the gut on, so what's left is the skull and long bones. Primitive man would break the skull open and eat the brains. Brains are 60% fat, and 60% of that is DHA, the omega-3. What they've found is that the more brain-sucking was going in those populations, the faster the IQ went up.

Primitive man would also break the bones of the prey and suck the marrow, also rich in omega-3, DHA particularly. DHA is the omega-3 most responsible for brain development while EPA is most associated with reducing inflammation.

My athletes would often recognize each other when sitting around a table because those I'd be training would break out the fish oil during the meal. That's how I got the nickname "the fish oil guy" among athletes. But that's also how I get people so lean so fast.

Anyone who wants to put on muscle and lose fat should be on 30-45 grams of fish oil per day. That's just three tablespoons of fish oil. It would be a pain in the ass with capsules though because that's around 45 capsules per day, but it's easy with a straight oil

----------------------------------------------------------------
fish oils offer thirteen possible advantages:

1. Cell membrane health: EPA and DHA insure that cell membranes remain healthy. This means that the membranes are flexible and contain larger numbers of insulin receptors that are more receptive and responsive to circulating insulin. This results in decreased fat storage in the adipocytes (fat cells).

2. Fish oils turn on the lipolytic genes (fat burning genes).

3. Fish oils turn off the lipogenic genes (fat storage genes).

4. Fish oils diminish C-reactive proteins, a newly identified risk factor associated with various inflammatory diseases, including atherosclerosis, angina, coronary heart disease, heart attack, stroke, congestive heart failure, and diabetes. The DHA fraction of the fish oil seems to be one most responsible for that protective effect. DHA also has the best ability to reduce blood pressure.

5. Increase utilization of fat stores from the adipocytes.

6. Preferential utilization for energy production once stored in the adipocytes.

7. Reduced inflammation from physical training.

8. Pain management from the reduced inflammation.

9. EPA regulates blood supply to the brain which is essential in maintaining focus in weight training sessions. DHA is important in brain membranes, memory, and cognitive function.

10. Fish oils increase serotonin levels (the happy neurotransmitter). Therefore, fish oils will decrease incidence of depression, anxiety, panic attack, and reduce carbohydrate cravings.

11. Fish oils will improve your cardiovascular risk profile by lowering VLDL, triglycerides, homocysteine, fibrinogen, and increasing HDL levels. Combining fish oils with plant sterols will improve lipid levels even more than either alone.

12. Fish oils can also decrease blood pressure by several mechanisms. These include increases in the vasodilatory compound, nitric oxide, reducing vascular inflammation, blocking the constrictive elements in the vascular wall such as the calcium channels reducing blood viscosity, and inhibiting a blood vessel constrictor (thromboxane). Lipoprotein (a) is another CVD predictor that can be lowered by fish oils (a 19% reduction was seen with natural, stable fish oils and just 4% with a highly purified fish oil).

13. Fish oils are a great stress fighter. Supplementation with n-3 fatty acids inhibits the adrenal activation of steroids, aldosterone, epinephrine, and norepinephrine (catecholamines) elicited by a mental stress, apparently through effects exerted at the level of the central nervous system. Therefore, for the same amount of stress, one will produce fewer stress hormones if consuming fish oils on a regular basis.

Skeptic

Awards
So what's the consensus? Now we're not supposed to take fish oil supplements?

Yesterday, they were the best thing since sliced bread.

Now we're supposed to throw them out?

When does it ever stop?

RPHMark

Awards
Like anything else, more is not necessarily better. There is no doubt fish oil benefits us in many ways, just keep the dose reasonable. In fact, most of the info out now says fish oil caps from a good manufacturer are safer than eating fish, esp tuna, due to mercury levels.

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
Like anything else, more is not necessarily better. There is no doubt fish oil benefits us in many ways, just keep the dose reasonable. In fact, most of the info out now says fish oil caps from a good manufacturer are safer than eating fish, esp tuna, due to mercury levels.
MODERATION IS THE KEY !!
IF you eat fish at least 3 times a week 1 tsp would be fine or few pills a day, but not 3 TBSP a day like some people I have read are doing.
Thats why i prefer to go with hempseed oil over any other oil its balanced and you will never have to worry about upsetting the ratio of omega 6:3 for life, plus its good 500 mgs of GLA in it as well.

1 -2 TBSP of hemp seed oil
1 tsp of fish and balance is set !!

Most body parts use 4:1 ratio of 6:3 hemp is 3:1 which is the closes your can get to human cell membrane make up.

I use hemp in my salads alot !!

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
MODERATION IS THE KEY !!
IF you eat fish at least 3 times a week 1 tsp would be fine or few pills a day, but not 3 TBSP a day like some people I have read are doing.
Thats why i prefer to go with hempseed oil over any other oil its balanced and you will never have to worry about upsetting the ratio of omega 6:3 for life, plus its good 500 mgs of GLA in it as well.

1 -2 TBSP of hemp seed oil
1 tsp of fish and balance is set !!

Most body parts use 4:1 ratio of 6:3 hemp is 3:1 which is the closes your can get to human cell membrane make up.

I use hemp in my salads alot !!
Where and what brand of hemp oil are you buying.
Post link please.

I am puzzled, I cannot find any supplements made of hemp or hemp seed oil when I look thru LEF or NowFoods.

cpeil2

Awards
  • Established
So what's the consensus? Now we're not supposed to take fish oil supplements?

Yesterday, they were the best thing since sliced bread.

Now we're supposed to throw them out?

When does it ever stop?
Would I stop taking a nutritional supplement that keeps my trigylceride level at 50-75? Uh-uh.

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
Where and what brand of hemp oil are you buying.
Post link please.

I am puzzled, I cannot find any supplements made of hemp or hemp seed oil when I look thru LEF or NowFoods.
Nutriva is the best also there EV cocconut oil ROCKS !!
I also looked at the GLA/EPA from lef which also looks very good since it is one of the few thst sticks to the 2:1 ratio.

I take 2000 mgs of GLA a with 1 tsp of carlsons fish oils a day which puts in the proper ratio and let food fall where ever it may be. I'm a big fan on EFA ratios and cell membrane intregrity

I'm calling Genova and getting prices on certain EFAS RBC
EPA. DHA, arachonic acid, GLA, LNA, ALA

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Nutriva is the best also there EV cocconut oil ROCKS !!
I also looked at the GLA/EPA from lef which also looks very good since it is one of the few thst sticks to the 2:1 ratio.

I take 2000 mgs of GLA a with 1 tsp of carlsons fish oils a day which puts in the proper ratio and let food fall where ever it may be. I'm a big fan on EFA ratios and cell membrane intregrity

I'm calling Genova and getting prices on certain EFAS RBC
EPA. DHA, arachonic acid, GLA, LNA, ALA
Post a link to the "GLA/EPA from lef "
they have number of products that contain GLA but I could not find the one that have GLA & EPA.

It is very nice project that you are workng on.
Thank you.

I would like to be able to take supplements per my test results, way that is much more to the point.

Post list of tests (with links) from Genova that are helpful with this task.
=============================================
You have said:
1 tsp of carlsons fish oils

that is a teaspoon??

I am taking one tablespoon, is that too much?
This is on top of two pills of;
http://www.lef.org/newshop/items/item00982.html

When I was a child in Poland I was drinking 1 tablespoon/day of "tran", thanks to good old USA supplying it.

Not sure what was it. I thought it was a oil made from whales.
Possibly it was Cod oil, not sure.
The smell and taste of it was something not easy to get used.

rick055

Awards
  • Established
Vitamin Shoppe Fish Oil

I don't know who mentioned it earlier (or in another thread) but I just bought the $6.99 bottle of Vitamin Shoppe Fish Oil which contains 47 teaspoon servings.

Those teaspoon servings have more EPA/DHA than the pills I was taking which were costing me maybe $18.00 a month.

So to whoever brought it up, thanks for saving me the $$$.

Plus, Lemonade burps are always something to look forward to :)

cpeil2

Awards
  • Established
I don't know who mentioned it earlier (or in another thread) but I just bought the $6.99 bottle of Vitamin Shoppe Fish Oil which contains 47 teaspoon servings.

Those teaspoon servings have more EPA/DHA than the pills I was taking which were costing me maybe $18.00 a month.

So to whoever brought it up, thanks for saving me the $$$.

Plus, Lemonade burps are always something to look forward to :)

Carlson's is belch-free. You can get it for as little as $23.00 for a 500 ml bottle (100 tsps.).

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
Carlson's is belch-free. You can get it for as little as $23.00 for a 500 ml bottle (100 tsps.).
Would not trust fish oil for more then 30 days because of oxidation of fats..
hemp seed oil no more the 3 weeks
flax seed oil less then 2 weeks

cpeil2

Awards
  • Established
Would not trust fish oil for more then 30 days because of oxidation of fats..
hemp seed oil no more the 3 weeks
flax seed oil less then 2 weeks
Carlson says that there's has a shelf life of 3 mos. after opening as long as it is refrigerated.

I frankly love the stuff. It has none of the obnoxious problems that go with other fish oils. I take it by the teaspoonful. It is lemon-flavored, but I think that it would have a neutral flavor even without the lemon flavoring. No fishy belches .... no belching at all, actually.

Some people use it on salads. I don't because I view it as a supplement more than a food product. But I can see how they would.

And, as I noted above, two teaspoons/day keep my triglyceride level at 50-75.

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
Carlson says that there's has a shelf life of 3 mos. after opening as long as it is refrigerated.

I frankly love the stuff. It has none of the obnoxious problems that go with other fish oils. I take it by the teaspoonful. It is lemon-flavored, but I think that it would have a neutral flavor even without the lemon flavoring. No fishy belches .... no belching at all, actually.

Some people use it on salads. I don't because I view it as a supplement more than a food product. But I can see how they would.

And, as I noted above, two teaspoons/day keep my triglyceride level at 50-75.

Fish oils will drop LDL and trigycerides like no other thats for sure. Can also lower total cholestrol as well.

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
One of the guys at the H2 group looked into this guy and found this about him.
======================================
I've got to take issue with the article. It makes a big deal about
"negative" impacts of omega 3 oils suppressing immune function - but
that is exactly why cardiologists and others recommend it. It reduces
inflammation that is the start of coronary artery disease. It quiets
allergic like reactions that are harmful to the body.

SO what is really a sales brochure for is touting the very benefit of
the oil as a negative . I'm sorry looking over the site makes me very
skeptical of this guy. His site brags about him being a professor,
but if you dig you find out he's an electrical engineer who was once
an adjunct professor.
http://www.brianpeskin.com/theprofessorsstory.html

A further look shows he's been indicted for fraud:
http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/Peskin/complaint.html
http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/Peskin/peskin.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/guardian_jobs_and_money/story/0,3605,1173433,00.html
"Jukes and his wife Fay were formerly involved in a pyramid diet
scheme called Best of Health which was run from near Glasgow. Fay
appeared in a "before" and "after" testimonial after she lost 22lbs in
five months.

Best of Health used the Radiant Health Diet from US "nutrition guru"
Brian Peskin. In 2002, the Texas Attorney General charged Peskin with
making misleading claims. Besides slamming the product, the law chief
also alleged Peskin did not hold his claimed PhD; was not a research
scientist or a professor. Best of Health sued Peskin.

He's peddled every conceivable miracle - even cellulite remover:
http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-18700086.html

I think I'll look to the American Heart Association over this guys
writings.
FYI: Link to PDF which is easier to read: http://www.brianpeskin.com/efa-analysis.pdf

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established

an adjunct professor.

five months.

writings.
Again for many that have insurance there are places that test RBC fatty acids and like for me it was a arude awakening..Going to get tested in another month or so to check the progress. Like any thing every thing in moderation.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Kudos, Phil.

Please post your opinion on fish oil, dose and other supplements that need also be taken when supplementing with fish oil.

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
Kudos, Phil.

Please post your opinion on fish oil, dose and other supplements that need also be taken when supplementing with fish oil.
Too many fish oils create excessive lipid perioxidation hence increase free radicals with in the body so anything that fights free radicals is a plus..

aculpep

Awards
My thoughts exactly. And the part about fish oil being bad for diabetics is flat out wrong. I take it and it literally lowers my blood sugar. Looks like he is trying to sell something to me.

an adjunct professor.

five months.

writings.

cpeil2

Awards
  • Established
Too many fish oils create excessive lipid perioxidation hence increase free radicals with in the body so anything that fights free radicals is a plus..

I only glanced at a few studies that show this, but it seems that, in most of them that showed increased lipid peroxidation, fish oil accounted for most of the fat in the subjects' diets. The takeaway: moderation.

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
I only glanced at a few studies that show this, but it seems that, in most of them that showed increased lipid peroxidation, fish oil accounted for most of the fat in the subjects' diets. The takeaway: moderation.
POINT BEING MODERATION IS THE KEY !!

DLA

Awards
A brief synopsis of the article.

The main point: Most people are deficient in unrefined/unprocessed PEO's (Parent Essential Oils). Brian Peskin coined this term.

This term “Parent Essential Oils” refers to the only two true essential fatty acids: parent omega-6 (LA) and parent omega-3 (ALA). The term “parent” is used because these are the whole, unadulterated form of the only two essential fats your body demands, as they occur in nature. Once PEOs are consumed your body changes a small percentage of them—about 5%—into other biochemicals called “derivatives,” while leaving the remaining 95% in parent form.

The Parent Essential Oils have very important functions.

Supplementing with derivatives like fish oil can exacerbate health problems, resulting from a low Omega 3 (ALA):(EPA/DHA) ratio.

Since many of the Omega 3 and Omega 6's we consume are processed, this can lead to a deficiency of the Parent Essential Oils, linoleic acid, and alpha-linolenic acid.

PEO's should be supplemented in a ratio of 1:1 to 2.5:1, Omega 6:Omega 3.

Most people don't supplement the PEO alpha-linolenic acid, making it doubly important.

Do I believe this guy? Not sure, but his research is compelling, and he has definitely done his homework. Most of the research is not his own. He has borrowed it from other scientists and freely admits this.

I don't trust Quackwatch at all. You'll notice almost every single "alternative" practicitioner is listed on that site. The fact that one is not in :mainstream" medicine is sufficient evidence to being labelled as a quack, apparently no matter how good the research.

Dopamineloveaffair

Last edited:
JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Is this supplement a complete solution

http://search.lef.org/cgi-src-bin/MsmGo.exe?grab_id=0&page_id=1466&query=EFA&hiword=EFA
==============================================

Total EFA Junior
500 mg, 90 softgels $11.24
Item Catalog Number: 31093
Health From The Sun The Total EFA Junior™ supplies the daily needs of your children for essential fatty acids (EFAs) in an ideal ratio of omega-3 and omega-6.* Essential fatty acids are nutrients which children must obtain fro foods or dietary supplements.

The Total EFA Junior is nutritionally complete with omega-6 GLA from Borage seed oil, omega-3 ALA from flaxseed oil and omega-3 EPA and DHA from Fish oil, plus omega-9 fatty acids. The easy to swallow 500 mg softgel is a convenient way for your children to get a comprehensive, well-balanced blend of EFA nutritional oils.

Supplement Facts
Serving Size 1 softgel

Alpha-Linolenic Acid [ALA] (omega-3) 91 mg

Docosahexaenoic Acid [DHA] (omega-3) 18 mg

Eicosapentaenoic Acid [EPA] (omega-3) 28 mg

Gamma-Linolenic Acid [GLA] (omega-6) 40 mg

Linoleic Acid (omega-6) 86 mg

Oleic Acid (omega-9) 70 mg

Ingredients: certified organic flaxseed oil, borage seed oil, fish oil, gelatin, glycerin, water and mixed tocopherols.

Dosage and Use
Children under three, empty contents of one softgel and mix with food.
Three to seven years, one to two softgels daily.
Eight to ten, two to three softgels.
Over ten, three to four softgels.

DLA

Awards
A brief synopsis of the article.

The main point: Most people are deficient in unrefined/unprocessed PEO's (Parent Essential Oils). Brian Peskin coined this term.

This term “Parent Essential Oils” refers to the only two true essential fatty acids: parent omega-6 (LA) and parent omega-3 (ALA). The term “parent” is used because these are the whole, unadulterated form of the only two essential fats your body demands, as they occur in nature. Once PEOs are consumed your body changes a small percentage of them—about 5%—into other biochemicals called “derivatives,” while leaving the remaining 95% in parent form.

The Parent Essential Oils have very important functions.

Supplementing with derivatives like fish oil can exacerbate health problems, resulting from a low Omega 3 (ALA):(EPA/DHA) ratio.

Since many of the Omega 3 and Omega 6's we consume are processed, this can lead to a deficiency of the Parent Essential Oils, linoleic acid, and alpha-linolenic acid.

PEO's should be supplemented in a ratio of 1:1 to 2.5:1, Omega 6:Omega 3.

Most people don't supplement the PEO alpha-linolenic acid, making it doubly important.

Do I believe this guy? Not sure, but his research is compelling, and he has definitely done his homework. Most of the research is not his own. He has borrowed it from other scientists and freely admits this.

I don't trust Quackwatch at all. You'll notice almost every single "alternative" practicitioner is listed on that site. The fact that one is not in :mainstream" medicine is sufficient evidence to being labelled as a quack, apparently no matter how good the research.

Dopamineloveaffair
Any comments?

The authors distinction that LA and ALA have the main biological functions (95%), as opposed to GLA, EPA, and DHA's minor roles, is interesting.

As well, the small prevalence of unadulterated LA and ALA in our natural diet.

Is this guy talking out of his ass, or may there be some truth to this? I'm not a big fan of authoritatively shooting down arguments.

Dopamineloveaffair

LOL Yes, I just quoted myself. :)

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
Any comments?

The authors distinction that LA and ALA have the main biological functions (95%), as opposed to GLA, EPA, and DHA's minor roles, is interesting.

As well, the small prevalence of unadulterated LA and ALA in our natural diet.

Is this guy talking out of his ass, or may there be some truth to this? I'm not a big fan of authoritatively shooting down arguments.

Dopamineloveaffair

LOL Yes, I just quoted myself. :)
I found black current oil and hempseed oil to be the best for supplementing over all it has a 4:1 ratio of 6:3 ratio and may be 1 tsp of fish oils a 3 times a week if you eat fish in not then evry day is fine provided it is balanced with GLA with ratio of 2 GLA:1 (DHA/epa). Then there should be no issues

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Bump for nuclear ...

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I don't know if this was mentioned already in this thread, but people shouldn't worry about balancing their EFA's at all when supplementing (i.e. balancing omega 3 with 6).Most diets are already ultra high in omega-6, unless you completely stay away from omega-6 rich veggies/grains and ONLY eat grass-fed beef.

I used to use Udo's oil because it's balanced, but then realized that it's not necessary since omega 6 is plentiful in our food, if not too abundant.

I only use omega 3 fish oil from - Stronger Faster Healthier

They also have a great testing kit you can buy, to see if you're levels are correct/optimal:Omega-3 Index Assay - Stronger Faster Healthier

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
I don't know if this was mentioned already in this thread, but people shouldn't worry about balancing their EFA's at all when supplementing (i.e. balancing omega 3 with 6).Most diets are already ultra high in omega-6, unless you completely stay away from omega-6 rich veggies/grains and ONLY eat grass-fed beef.

I used to use Udo's oil because it's balanced, but then realized that it's not necessary since omega 6 is plentiful in our food, if not too abundant.

I only use omega 3 fish oil from - Stronger Faster Healthier

They also have a great testing kit you can buy, to see if you're levels are correct/optimal:Omega-3 Index Assay - Stronger Faster Healthier
The body can fool you and it has many Doctors with common misinformation. Times have changed dramatically biologically speaking..

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The body can fool you and it has many Doctors with common misinformation. Times have changed dramatically biologically speaking..
I'm not sure what you mean here.

All I know is that the typical diet is PACKED full of omega-6, unless you have a very organic, grain free diet. Most people only need to supplement with omega-3

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
I'm not sure what you mean here.

All I know is that the typical diet is PACKED full of omega-6, unless you have a very organic, grain free diet. Most people only need to supplement with omega-3
Due.to.evolution and toxic intervention from.modern men our.bodys are no.longer tolerating that of esikimo or.innuit lifestyle. Its back firing on majority of.clients and cases I am dealing with. To comprehend this.go.against general.principles and why everything i.have been mentioning almost a decade ago is.coming to.forefront of.medicine..

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I don't live in the arctic though, and I am sure that I'm not living an innuit lifestyle. I don't eat only fish all day long and live in igloos or hunt. And I don't megadose omega 3 either.

I'm still confused here??? I think we're on two different topics possibly.