Grade 3 Quad tear.

beachmuscle13

Awards
How long does it take to return to previous strength levels?

I have been working like a mad man and I am about 90ish percent to where I was after 6 mths.

I did 10 weeks physical therapy and been full go training wise for the last 3 mths.

It feels like the recovery road is taking forever.

DonutsNDeads

DonutsNDeads

Awards
Grade 3 quad tear or rupture is an extreme injury. If I’m being honest you may never make it back to 100 percent, just focus on having pain free ROM gaining back as much ROM as possible slow and steady strength gains, it may take a year or years or like I said it may never happen.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
How long does it take to return to previous strength levels?

I have been working like a mad man and I am about 90ish percent to where I was after 6 mths.

I did 10 weeks physical therapy and been full go training wise for the last 3 mths.

It feels like the recovery road is taking forever.
I personally have never seen someone make it back 100% but most people do not return to the lifestyle and or factor that caused the injury. Honestly I’m thinking 18weeks. Plenty of focus on the stability of the muscle and staying pain free.

Did you have it surgically repaired? Most grade 3 strains are complete tears by definition. Do you have any pain at all with your strength training?

beachmuscle13

Awards
It may have been a high grade 2. I read the definition of grade 3 and felt it fit the bill. Unable to walk without give outs. Muscle spasms, etc. Brusing of leg, extreme swelling. It was a bad deal. I will forever be able to feel the scar tissue. Maybe I should feel fortunate. It took 3 mths to get back to regular workouts. Lots of work. Now I have busted my tail to get near previous level the past 3 mths. 6 mths total.

It tore on my third attempt squat. At 181 pds I had just smoked 520 pds. It moved like nothing. Went to 540 pds and got tight, tore in the hole. Weight dropped on me a a bit.

I be doing like 15000 pounds of beltless safety bar squats. 270 pds for 50 reps. I want to compete again soon. Getting the itch back.

I was wondering how long it took another people. It personally feels like a lifetime since I had a new PR for squat or deadlift.

beachmuscle13

Awards
I had over 3 mths of good physical therapy. Thoae guys were awesome.

DonutsNDeads

DonutsNDeads

Awards
It may have been a high grade 2. I read the definition of grade 3 and felt it fit the bill. Unable to walk without give outs. Muscle spasms, etc. Brusing of leg, extreme swelling. It was a bad deal. I will forever be able to feel the scar tissue. Maybe I should feel fortunate. It took 3 mths to get back to regular workouts. Lots of work. Now I have busted my tail to get near previous level the past 3 mths. 6 mths total.

It tore on my third attempt squat. At 181 pds I had just smoked 520 pds. It moved like nothing. Went to 540 pds and got tight, tore in the hole. Weight dropped on me a a bit.

I be doing like 15000 pounds of beltless safety bar squats. 270 pds for 50 reps. I want to compete again soon. Getting the itch back.

I was wondering how long it took another people. It personally feels like a lifetime since I had a new PR for squat or deadlift.
That sounds like a high grade two, grade three you would have had a complete rupture of the quadriceps and it would have rolled up your leg like a fruit roll up and you would have needed surgery to reattach the muscle. I would try to do everything in your power to get the scar tissue to align along the line of tension. Massage graston stretching etc

beachmuscle13

Awards
Yeah they did a lot of that work at physical therapy. They did an awesome job. I have full ROM. Im about to do everything without pain. Its just getting back to where I was pre injury

DonutsNDeads

DonutsNDeads

Awards
Yeah they did a lot of that work at physical therapy. They did an awesome job. I have full ROM. Im about to do everything without pain. Its just getting back to where I was pre injury
Ah well that’s good news then, focus on getting stronger, but don’t focus on the numbers, I was in a car accident in July right after my first competition my numbers are over 100lbs down from where I was it’s frustration just be patient and listen to your body good luck