The funny things you see in the gym

dragonfly

dragonfly

Awards
  • Established
Matchstick-legged guys that train their chest and bi's 4 days a week, they don't even do half-a$$ squats, too hard :toofunny:

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
I saw a new one yesterday. 1st time I'd ever seen this guy at my gym. That being said, he's a resolutionist, gone by February. Anyway, he was carrying his belt with him everywhere he went. I kept an eye on this guy because I knew this was going good places. The only time he 'strapped on' was to do bent over rows in the smith machine. Afterwards he went around carrying it again everywhere after 2 sets.

And of course, as stated in several previous threads on this topic :)

I can't stand people who just sit on equipment and don't use it. Twice as much when I'm needing to use that particular bench.

I can't stand people who do biceps for an hour. Well I just did barbell curls, now I'll do preacher curls on this machine, followed by preacher curls on that machine. And after all that. More preacher curls.

I can't stand people who curl in the squat racks (see above). Hey jerkface, some of us actually use a squat rack for squats.

I can't stand people who slam weights. We got it, you think you're special, we all can now hear how much you're lifting. Slamming weight does NOT equal intensity, it equals stupidity.

I can't stand people who do cardio for any prolonged period of time. If you're on any bike, treadmill, etc. for more than an hour, you need to rethink your workout goals.

I can't stand people who talk on their phones the entire time they're 'lifting.' If you're so important that you must be on your phone at all times, you're WAY too cool to be lifting.

I can't stand bad form. The worst are the rockers. They rock when they're rowing, they rock when they're curling. YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG! :frustrate:

dragonfly

dragonfly

Awards
  • Established
Hehe, I was expecting that one ! I already read the threads "Stupid a$$ people at your gym" and "Things I hate seeing in the gym". This is a bit different. I don't hate seeing
matchstick-legged guys, they are quite amusing:)

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I had a guy that tried to let me get him in the gym with out his clicker and I said 1 you did not sign in and 2 wheres your clicker and he questioned me asking me if I worked there and I said I work out there. He got all mad. So he started walking aroud the gym and 30 minutes later he left. Did not even work out. In his work out gym cloth too. I never seen the guy and as proper protocol you need a clicker and to sign in.

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
What amuses me to no ends is this guy whos obviously on juice. He's probably my age, 18-19ish and this guy is without a doubt on juice. I notice he never touches his legs, acts arrogent as hell and flexes his chest every 3 seconds. I cant stand working out in the same room with this ass. It's not soo much funny as it is piss ass annoying.

I dont really mind small people these days. They arent informed on what they are doing (hopefully)

I used to be like that when I was 16 but when I saw the light, I changed. :lol:

LiftNDestroy

LiftNDestroy

Awards
  • Established
Dudes that strap up on all exorcises regardless of weather or not they are pulling or pushing. This one dude in my gym in particular does this. I have seen him strap up on leg raises (for abs). You know where you rest your arms on the pads grip the handles and raise your legs. Also seen him strap up on the sitting bench press machine(forget the name for it) plate loaded, there's a reg and then an inline/decline. Dude isn't hurting himself by doing so but I just don't think he understands the purpose of strapping up.

EGO lifters. Haven't been going at night anymore but was talking to my buddy yesterday who was really going off on these losers, and really just dangerous lifters. Every Thursday night is leg day for these guys and this is their night to shine. It's really just 1-3 guys(1 guy in particular), and his fan club consisting of other guys and like 3-4 women. Well this dude will load up right around 495 on the squat rack(5 plates a side) and after several minutes contemplating he will taker down a quarter of the way screaming and grunting for all the gym to see. While this bugs me because he's obviously after attention, it really bows in comparison to what he actually has one of his female friends attempt to squat. Can't remember if it was 2 or 3 plates a side but I'm sure it was just 2. Regardless he will load it up on the bar for his female friend who has some meat on the bone and quite a bit of BF. I feel bad for her because she will stand under the bar easily for 2-3 minutes contemplating the walk out. After she finally decided to go for it she will belt out 2-3 really dangerous quarter squats before her friends have to help her load the weight back onto the rack. Would it really be stepping out of my bounds to say something to them or should I just let it go? Mainly concerning the safety of these girls.
/rant
:type: :rant:

klugman

klugman

Awards
  • Established
EGO lifters. Haven't been going at night anymore but was talking to my buddy yesterday who was really going off on these losers, and really just dangerous lifters. Every Thursday night is leg day for these guys and this is their night to shine. It's really just 1-3 guys(1 guy in particular), and his fan club consisting of other guys and like 3-4 women. Well this dude will load up right around 495 on the squat rack(5 plates a side) and after several minutes contemplating he will taker down a quarter of the way screaming and grunting for all the gym to see. While this bugs me because he's obviously after attention, it really bows in comparison to what he actually has one of his female friends attempt to squat. Can't remember if it was 2 or 3 plates a side but I'm sure it was just 2. Regardless he will load it up on the bar for his female friend who has some meat on the bone and quite a bit of BF. I feel bad for her because she will stand under the bar easily for 2-3 minutes contemplating the walk out. After she finally decided to go for it she will belt out 2-3 really dangerous quarter squats before her friends have to help her load the weight back onto the rack. Would it really be stepping out of my bounds to say something to them or should I just let it go? Mainly concerning the safety of these girls.
/rant
I think you should say something. I saw a guy deadlifting in a very dangerous fashion (rounding back on every rep). I politely told him that he was rounding his back and risked severe injury. He thanked me and that was that.
A
s for the EGO lifters I can't stand them either. What really angers me is that these dudes will load up a bar to 495 to squat and like you said go down about 3 inches...do this about 10 times and then smash the bar back into the rack...another thing that kills me is the dorks who never deadlift but do rack pulls. But the rack is set up so that they only "pull" the weight about 2-4 inches. Each rep comes smashing back onto the rack...it's crazy!!!

gotripped

gotripped

Banned
Awards
  • Established
What amuses me to no ends is this guy whos obviously on juice. He's probably my age, 18-19ish and this guy is without a doubt on juice.
how do you know he is? and if he's so small especially how do you know??

dragonfly

dragonfly

Awards
  • Established
Dudes that strap up on all exorcises regardless of weather or not they are pulling or pushing. This one dude in my gym in particular does this. I have seen him strap up on leg raises (for abs). You know where you rest your arms on the pads grip the handles and raise your legs. Also seen him strap up on the sitting bench press machine(forget the name for it) plate loaded, there's a reg and then an inline/decline. Dude isn't hurting himself by doing so but I just don't think he understands the purpose of strapping up.

/rant
To say something to an EGO lifter may be a waste of time. If this guy had any sense of logic he wouldn't be risking disc hernia just to impress someone. On the other hand, there are serious people around that train unaware of their bad form. Your advice may go to them. They are easily distinguished from the EGO lifters by the following: a) their appearance is not theatrical, b) they do not drag their fan club along, c) if they grunt and scream it is because they are in pain and not to attract attention

gotripped

gotripped

Banned
Awards
  • Established
To say something to an EGO lifter may be a waste of time. If this guy had any sense of logic he wouldn't be risking disc hernia just to impress someone. On the other hand, there are serious people around that train unaware of their bad form. Your advice may go to them. They are easily distinguished from the EGO lifters by the following: a) their appearance is not theatrical, b) they do not drag their fan club along, c) if they grunt and scream it is because they are in pain and not to attract attention
true that.
like me at a younger age.

LiftNDestroy

LiftNDestroy

Awards
  • Established
As bad as it is, I could really care less about the guy trying to squat 495, it's really the fact that he loads the bar up for his female friend(when he should know better) and has her try to squat a decent amount of weight as well. I'd really hate to see her get hurt all because she doesn't know any better while her "experienced" friends tells her to go for it because it's ok. This guy I was taking to was so outraged by it he said he was going to report them so who knows.

dragonfly

dragonfly

Awards
  • Established
As bad as it is, I could really care less about the guy trying to squat 495, it's really the fact that he loads the bar up for his female friend(when he should know better) and has her try to squat a decent amount of weight as well. I'd really hate to see her get hurt all because she doesn't know any better while her "experienced" friends tells her to go for it because it's ok. This guy I was taking to was so outraged by it he said he was going to report them so who knows.
Maybe you should get her to read this thread:)

gotripped

gotripped

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i feel sorry for women who have those gay boy friends.

Fuego

Fuego

Awards
Well. I'm from Norway, and the gyms here doesn't sound as bad you guys describe yours in the states=P

But yea, it's kinda funny when you got people that's been working out for 6 months and walk with their skinny arms out from their body as if they're carrying 3 sets of phone books between their arms and sides.

Funniest thing is when you got the ego lifters accompanied by their lil' fan club. And the "king" goes to bench some, and you go and beat him at his own game. Both in weight and form=P All of the sudden they're twice as silent. Hehe

LiftNDestroy

LiftNDestroy

Awards
  • Established
Maybe you should get her to read this thread:)
HAHAHA dude I could see it now..."Hey, hows it going *small talk* By the way you ever check out anabolic minds? I heard there was thread on there about people JUST LIKE YOU!"
:hammer::toofunny:

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I had a guy that tried to let me get him in the gym with out his clicker and I said 1 you did not sign in and 2 wheres your clicker and he questioned me asking me if I worked there and I said I work out there. He got all mad. So he started walking aroud the gym and 30 minutes later he left. Did not even work out. In his work out gym cloth too. I never seen the guy and as proper protocol you need a clicker and to sign in.
wtf is a clicker and why do you care if he signs in or not, if you dont work there? Id be pissed off at you if i was him, id probably take your "clicker" and smash it beneath my feet.

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
how do you know he is? and if he's so small especially how do you know??
Oh I was talking about this really really insanely big guy. He's my age and about 210 lean, at 5'11 maybe. I dont mind big dudes. I just HATEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE people who flex every 3 seconds and act like he's gods gift to the world.

DBinMD

DBinMD

Awards
  • Established
From SilentBob187
1) Re: I can't stand people who curl in the squat racks (see above). Hey jerkface, some of us actually use a squat rack for squats.

Agreed, I thought I was the only one this bothered.

2) re: I can't stand people who slam weights. We got it, you think you're special, we all can now hear how much you're lifting. Slamming weight does NOT equal intensity, it equals stupidity.

Mixed feelings here. I have been around the egotists. But I’ve also been told my “deadlifting is scaring away the customers.” Too, bad, it’s a gym, not a library. Besides if I have to listen do their crappy music, then they can listen to my deads.

-----------------------------
Mine:

Besides crappy music (before I got my IPOD):
Putting the weights backwards on the Olympic bars (the numbers go facing in).

Load up 1000lbs on the leg press and move it 6 inches. I sometimes have to leave the room fearing a catastrophie.

Not unloading the bar after deadlifting. It makes the rest of us look bad and I fear the possibility of some silly new rule being imposed.

Not taking off the hundred lb plates. I personally don’t care but it’s impossible for most ladies to deal with.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
2) re: I can't stand people who slam weights. We got it, you think you're special, we all can now hear how much you're lifting. Slamming weight does NOT equal intensity, it equals stupidity.

Mixed feelings here. I have been around the egotists. But I’ve also been told my “deadlifting is scaring away the customers.” Too, bad, it’s a gym, not a library. Besides if I have to listen do their crappy music, then they can listen to my deads.
To me deadlifting isn't the same as slamming weights. Sure it makes all kind of noise but for that lift it is unavoidable. All others there is no excuse.

I forgot about the gym music. Yeah, lets play everything that ISN'T conducive to lifting. Phil Collins.

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
Phil Collins ROCKS my routine. Not sure what you're talking about Silentbob! :D

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Phil Collins ROCKS my routine. Not sure what you're talking about Silentbob! :D
Nothing gives me a pump quite like 'In the air tonight'. That drum solo alone yields a 10x power output increase. 20x while wearing the strap.

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
"You'll be in my heart" gives me that little extra push I need when crankin' out squats!!

dragonfly

dragonfly

Awards
  • Established
Well. I'm from Norway, and the gyms here doesn't sound as bad you guys describe yours in the states=P

But yea, it's kinda funny when you got people that's been working out for 6 months and walk with their skinny arms out from their body as if they're carrying 3 sets of phone books between their arms and sides.

Got a lady in my gym that does that, worse even, she walks as if there was a medicine ball between her legs. She'll do a round or two like that then she'll pick up some, 1lb dumbells (those should be banned from the gyms!!!), do a few tricep kickbacks and then back to the walk again. Watch those dumbells lady, you wouldn't want your arms to look like Ronnie's or Jay's:stick:

gotripped

gotripped

Banned
Awards
  • Established

Got a lady in my gym that does that, worse even, she walks as if there was a medicine ball between her legs. She'll do a round or two like that then she'll pick up some, 1lb dumbells (those should be banned from the gyms!!!), do a few tricep kickbacks and then back to the walk again. Watch those dumbells lady, you wouldn't want your arms to look like Ronnie's or Jay's:stick:
my legs are alot like what you described post leg press/squat/quad/hammie extension. but that's only on some sd or some a-bombs. of course i weigh 220 tho... she prolly only weighs 120.

Dr Packenwood

Dr Packenwood

Awards
  • Established
The amuzing things at my gym are the chatty girls that gab away while curling. They'll curl 3-4 times on the right arm, one rep on the other, maybe 3 more one the right for good measure, then 7 on the left. Just shear randomness. And with the tiny little paper weights. They'll go for a whole damn conversation that way. Gab and lift with random reps.

I also like seeing the skinny guys working chest with dumbells. They'll be sitting there, ripped up shirt, hat on side ways contemplating these 30's while they talk on their phone. Yep. They're gonna hit em hard!

Then I make it a point to sit near them and curl 60's.

DBinMD

DBinMD

Awards
  • Established
To me deadlifting isn't the same as slamming weights. Sure it makes all kind of noise but for that lift it is unavoidable. All others there is no excuse.

I forgot about the gym music. Yeah, lets play everything that ISN'T conducive to lifting. Phil Collins.
Re: Noise.

Yeah I know that’s what you meant, I just had to vent.

Re: Music.
Since I’m an old dude (add being called “pops” to the list) the new music grates even more. I like some, i.e. Match Box 20, but if I hear Kelly Clarkson one more time I may explode. There’s worse than she, she’s just one of the few I can recognize

DB

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Re: Noise.

Yeah I know that’s what you meant, I just had to vent.

Re: Music.
Since I’m an old dude (add being called “pops” to the list) the new music grates even more. I like some, i.e. Match Box 20, but if I hear Kelly Clarkson one more time I may explode. There’s worse than she, she’s just one of the few I can recognize

DB
Sometimes I luck out and my gym plays vids from the Led Zeppelin DVD from the 1970 Royal Albert Hall concert. They should seriously just put that DVD on loop. Open with 'We're gonna groove' and finish it off with 'Bring it on home,' good times.

dragonfly

dragonfly

Awards
  • Established
i feel sorry for women who have those gay boy friends.
I can’t say I feel sorry for them, in the end, their friends are their choice. Sadly, you do also teach people how to treat you, if you allow them to bully you, you will get bullied. If you allow them to talk you into doing dinosaur-squats when you can hardly manage say your own bodyweight, chances are that unless you stand up for yourself, you will get hurt. Sadly again, people only tend to learn after they get hurt :rant:.

dragonfly

dragonfly

Awards
  • Established
my legs are alot like what you described post leg press/squat/quad/hammie extension. but that's only on some superdrol or some a-bombs. of course i weigh 220 tho... she prolly only weighs 120.
Hehe, I can imagine...
On the other hand, I only weigh 110, but after:
lunges 126 lb
leg ext 100 lb
deads 140 lb
ham curls 55 lb (all I could manage 'cause I was in sooo much pain :eek:)

Day after: I don't want to wee, squating down to the toilet is too hard:rant:

dragonfly

dragonfly

Awards
  • Established

Maybe you should swap :dl: for :clean:, that will teach them:D

machine528

machine528

Awards
  • Established
I can stand most of the stupid people but what pisses me off is the people who come into the gym dirty and stinking. I seriously have to alter my workouts sometimes because i dont want to touch the equipment they have been on. I understand sweating is normal however i think you should shower after your workout the previous day before you get to the gym the next day,

SgtP

SgtP

Awards
  • Established
I can stand most of the stupid people but what pisses me off is the people who come into the gym dirty and stinking. I seriously have to alter my workouts sometimes because i dont want to touch the equipment they have been on. I understand sweating is normal however i think you should shower after your workout the previous day before you get to the gym the next day,
i would say something. thats nasty.

Tighe

Tighe

Awards
Phil Collins! Damn man, get your head on straight and don't go popping off about my boy Phil!

He'll get ya!

Brian5225

Brian5225

Awards
  • Established
I hate skinny guys who try to tell me that i'm lifting wrong when I'm lifting double what they are. fkin pisses me off.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Phil Collins! Damn man, get your head on straight and don't go popping off about my boy Phil!

He'll get ya!
Nice picture Denim Dan. You look like the President, Chairman and CEO of Levi-Strauss!

jpb8200

jpb8200

Awards
last night, this skinny guy still in high school, rather tall but all skin and bones, comes in and does 70 on the flat bench, goes and gets some water and on the way back lifts his shirt sleeve up and looks in the mirror and has this half smile.

idk, if he thought the bench press would help his biceps or what, but either way, seeing that smile with toothpick arms, was pretty funny.

DIALEDIN

DIALEDIN

Awards
I saw so many mistakes on form in the gym, I had to write a book on how to do it. I am not sure which is my favorite, should have named them - for example:

THE LAWN MOWER STARTER - performs dumbbell rows with a fast jerking motion and drops back down.

THE GOODMORNING SQUATTER - when you watch them - oh it is a squat, no my bad it is a goodmorning, no wait - it is back to a squat oh that has gotta hurt

THE LEG BOUNCER - they do lower abs with leg raises, flying down to bounce off the bottom and fly back up - I am waiting for the summersault at the end - with a 3 point landing!!

Got any others?????

dragonfly

dragonfly

Awards
  • Established
I saw so many mistakes on form in the gym, I had to write a book on how to do it. I am not sure which is my favorite, should have named them - for example:

THE LAWN MOWER STARTER - performs dumbbell rows with a fast jerking motion and drops back down.

THE GOODMORNING SQUATTER - when you watch them - oh it is a squat, no my bad it is a goodmorning, no wait - it is back to a squat oh that has gotta hurt

THE LEG BOUNCER - they do lower abs with leg raises, flying down to bounce off the bottom and fly back up - I am waiting for the summersault at the end - with a 3 point landing!!

Got any others?????

A guy doing upright barbell rows when I'm trying to bench. Hey, I asked you to spot me, do your shoulder/upper back workout some other time !!!!

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I don't say a damn word to anyone unless they ask me for a spot OR they're looking to hurt someone else.

People just don't appreciate words of advice in general, and sometimes need to learn their own mistakes.

When I was starting I got myself a personal trainer, but went through 3 of them until I was happy.

While I'll accept advice, you have to be carefull who gives it. One guy commented on my deadlifts, saying I wanted to keep my arse higher to 'activate more traps'. Hmm... Accident waiting for a place to happen.

edwardyi

edwardyi

Awards
1. Someone in a coca-cola shirt that is running on a treadmill.
2. A girl trying to lose weight, but drinking a smoothie from smoothie king while running on treadmill.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
a guy that sikes himself out and everyday dose 1/16 of a rep on every excercise he does.

JoeYoung

JoeYoung

Awards
I've got two, the collection of 140 lb guys at my gym who collectively lift their shirts in the cardio room and poke and stare at each others abs, shocked by the fact that if you have a bf of 4% and almost no muscle, chances are you will see your abs. Another awesome sight is the completely out of shape guys who will show up in tapout or ufc gear, do a set or two and than perform some absolutely terrible shadow boxing in the mirror in the most packed parts of the gym complete with super intense faces and loud grunting...I mean I get it, they're hard as hell and can kick my ass, but that's just rubbing it in my face.

motive

motive

Awards
  • Established
nothing was more annoying than when i was trying to scan my card into the gym but couldnt because the jackass in front of me wanted to argue that he could use his food stamps on muscle milk

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
nothing was more annoying than when i was trying to scan my card into the gym but couldnt because the jackass in front of me wanted to argue that he could use his food stamps on muscle milk
lol wow. on food stamps but can afford a gym membership?

atjnutrition2

Awards
  • Established
Got a guy that comes to my gym wearing the high school football coach nut-hugger shorts and a t-shirt cut off just below his ribs so he can show of his man muffin top.

motive

motive

Awards
  • Established
Got a guy that comes to my gym wearing the high school football coach nut-hugger shorts and a t-shirt cut off just below his ribs so he can show of his man muffin top.
but did he have a mullet???