The New Wave of American Metal

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Holy ****, Im telling you the metal scene in this country has to be the best ever and is heading for even greater heights than it was in the golden era of bands like Pantera, Queensryche, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, and old-school Metallica.

Come on now:

Lamb Of God
Killswitch Engage
God Forbid
Mastodon
Unearth
Bleeding Through

Just to name a few!! Did you see the line up at this years Ozzfest? I kick myself for missing it, but damn Im excited that kick ass, bonecrushing metal is making a comeback.

BV

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Looked like alot of old-timer bands on the bill, so I didn't go this year.. I saw Killswitch Engage and all those other bands last year, kicked ass! :)

Killswitch Engage is my favorite band so far, along with Tool, APC, Saliva, and Flaw..

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Im right there with you bro - Then End of Heartache was in my car CD player for 8 weeks straight. Just picked up Unearth and Bleeding Through for $10 each at FYE. If you like KSE, check out Unearth. They sound like KSE crossed with Colony-era InFlames! I think they were produced by Killswitche's guitar player, actually.

I havent even seen them live yet, and they were like 20 minutes away. :frustrate Too much damn work. Unearth is comming this way in November, though.
BV

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
Wow metal being created that i actually like :) I agree... though I havent listened to the other bands; i actually really enjoy Killswitch Engage... i'll have to try the others; time to whoop out winmx

willieman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Ozzfest was kickin', but motorhead just played here last week..Lemmy rocks..

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
UNEARTH is sick!! Been listening to them for many years!!

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
Saw Soulfly a few weeks ago. Seen them before in better venues doing better sets, but Max is still the man. New lineup, yet again, but I guess he's made it known that's how it's gonna go with this band/project. The new cd ain't bad, but I liked last one better.

The new Clutch, don't know if you can call them metal anymore, is the best in years.

Roadrunner is by far the best label if you're looking to find good metal bands on. Just about every band I've liked for the past five years either is or was on that label.

Kinda been out of the scene a little since I stopped bouncing at music venues last fall, but I try my best to keep up. I'm telling you, if youre a huge music fane, go to your local national act venue and get a job there. Funnest job I ever had. We worked everything from local acts, to getting conracted out to OSU games, to Summer Sanitarium, to Paul McCartney.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I might give that a try when I go back to school. Busy managing a Red Lobster at the moment, getting pounded with top 40 hits from 1993 10 hours a day:) Ugh. When I get in the car to go home and crank my system its a sweet release.:)

BV

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I might give that a try when I go back to school. Busy managing a Red Lobster at the moment, getting pounded with top 40 hits from 1993 10 hours a day:) Ugh. When I get in the car to go home and crank my system its a sweet release.:)

BV
The worst is when yor gym plays that sh*t, and you forgot to buy batteries for your cd player!

g4ud1n

Awards
  • Established
Ive been listening to Iced Earth's Horrow Show CD for weeks now in my truck.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
The worst is when yor gym plays that sh*t, and you forgot to buy batteries for your cd player!
I KNOW!!! Or when they die right in the middle of a set...

BV

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established

BV
Honestly, there is no better college job. We worked out of a few mid-level clubs and got contracted out to arenas and stadiums, and other colleges from Ohio would hire us to work events. It was awesome. The downside is getting spit on by the hippies and having to sit through a lot of shitty sets for every one good set.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
How did you get into that line of work? Can a decently jacked dude just walk in and fill out an application?:)

BV

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Saw Soulfly a few weeks ago. Seen them before in better venues doing better sets, but Max is still the man. New lineup, yet again, but I guess he's made it known that's how it's gonna go with this band/project. The new cd ain't bad, but I liked last one better.

The new Clutch, don't know if you can call them metal anymore, is the best in years.

Roadrunner is by far the best label if you're looking to find good metal bands on. Just about every band I've liked for the past five years either is or was on that label.

Kinda been out of the scene a little since I stopped bouncing at music venues last fall, but I try my best to keep up. I'm telling you, if youre a huge music fane, go to your local national act venue and get a job there. Funnest job I ever had. We worked everything from local acts, to getting conracted out to OSU games, to Summer Sanitarium, to Paul McCartney.

SoulFly is a fav of mine. I think there 1st album is still their best in terms of ferocity.

I love Clutch..kinda satirical metal but always good. There new album is a riot,

"I was tempted to listen to the likes of Dr Laura
But I ignore her.."

I'm so far out of the loop on music though its not even funny, there's hardly any radio stations here and they don't play new heavy metal. The good news is i got my new iPod/itunes running and ready to go. I'll have to download a few of the suggestions listed here. :twisted:

LittleChina

Awards
KillSwitch Engaged is very good, yes I agree their new albumn is great and new lead singer Howard Jones sounds excellent. If you guys want you can download "Rose of Sharyn" for free on their website, here is the direct link.

KillSwitch Engage - Rose of Sharyn

The second half of the song is very beautiful and it has a great bridge/melody mixed in. "When darkness falls" is also a great song on the album.

Are any of you into Lacuna Coil (fantastic stuff), they may be too "soft" for your liking, but I listen to everything, hell I even like some Spice girl songs! They are a italian band, very good lead singer. I also like Sevendust which is my favorite band. "Sevendust - Black" That song is a great "pump up" one. My favorite.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Oh hell I LOVE Lacuna Coil!! I dont think they're soft at all - just have more of a gothic influence and an incredible female singer. (who is freaking gorgeous, BTW). Also a big Sevendust fan. My band used to cover 'Waffle'...awesome tune!!

BV

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
One of my pesonal fav. bands to listen to while lifting has to be GodSmack..... Sulley knows how to get the listener pissed off and ready to kill something. Check out "Realign" on the Faceless album and you'll know what I mean. It'll bring the evil out of you.

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I've seen Sevendust 3 times so far, and I'm waiting for them to come back for show #4.. ;)

Lacuna Coil is pretty tight, and the lead singer is a cutie.. :)

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I was at this one Sevendust show, and it was the first time back out after the lead singer's little brother had been killed. He dedicated 'angel song' to his bro, and in the middle of thetune broke down crying on stage. The band kept going, and after a few moments he came back to the mic, tears streaming down his face, and continued singing...it was the most emotional moment Ive ever seen at a show. It was so genuine and moving, almost brought me to tears.

BV

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
Sevendust is excellent live. Very fan frienly and awesome show. They did a meet and greet for whoever wanted to stick around and since it was the last stop on their tour thew threw out tons of sticks and pics the whole damned set.

I got into working concerts from a guy in my old reserve unit, but most places are starving for security worth half a damn and always need people who can handle doing 6 hours in a barackade. Seriously, we either had people scared to be assertive or people too assertive and then there were the 10 or so of us who were the "core" group of guys who got all the good spots and all the good shows. Pays for ****, but it's a fun college job. Hell, some of the older guys had been doing concerts since the 70's.

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I was at this one Sevendust show, and it was the first time back out after the lead singer's little brother had been killed. He dedicated 'angel song' to his bro, and in the middle of thetune broke down crying on stage. The band kept going, and after a few moments he came back to the mic, tears streaming down his face, and continued singing...it was the most emotional moment Ive ever seen at a show. It was so genuine and moving, almost brought me to tears.

BV
I saw Sevendust around that same time, still rocked but you can tell Lajon wasn't really all there.. Felt bad for him..

I got the Lacuna Coil cd today, Comalies.. Fuckin' sweet new album! :thumbsup:

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would agree that there is a new wave of heavy metal out there. Much of which I unfortunately don't get to hear. None (most) get no radio play, and I'm not in the time of my life where I collect music any more. But the Grandfathers of Heavy Metal are Back:
http://www.judaspriest.com/news/default.asp
Official Judas Priest News

17th August 2004

JUDAS PRIEST TO RELEASE NEW STUDIO ALBUM ON DECEMBER 28, 2004, ON EPIC RECORDS

BONUS CONCERT DVD FILMED IN SPAIN IN JUNE 2004 INCLUDED IN INITIAL SHIPMENT

The long wait for new music from the definitive Judas Priest lineup of vocalist Rob Halford, lead guitarist Glenn Tipton, lead guitarist K.K. Downing, bass guitarist Ian Hill and drummer Scott Travis is nearly over.

Judas Priest will release a new studio album on December 28, 2004, worldwide on Sony Music (Sony's Epic Records label in North America). The album title and track listing is forthcoming.

As a special bonus, a live concert DVD filmed during shows in Barcelona and Valencia in Spain in June 2004 will be included in the initial shipment.

The new album is the first from the Halford/Tipton/Downing/Hill/Travis lineup since 1990's acclaimed 'Painkiller.'

Tipton recently described the new album as "classic Priest" to 'Entertainment Tonight': "Even though we've evolved, it is recognizable Priest. The formula between myself, K.K. and Rob has been tried and tested. It was fantastic to all get back in the same room."

Judas Priest has celebrated its reunion with triumphant concerts in summer 2004. The band first conquered Europe and is now in the middle of the Ozzfest tour, for which rave reviews for its performances are the norm. Select non-Ozzfest dates are included on this North American rampage.

The most recent release from Judas Priest is the critically acclaimed, best-selling box set career retrospective 'Metalogy' on Sony Music/Legacy Recordings.

The full power of Judas Priest will be on display when the band embarks on a headlining world tour in early 2005 immediately following the release of the new album.
Watch, listen and kneel to the Metal Gods!

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
And another:

The ryche is touring and playing the entire Operation: Mindcrime album live, with charachter actor on stage. They will also be coming out with Operation: Mindcrime II.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

QUEENSRYCHE FALL TOUR, PRESENTED BY VH1 CLASSIC, TO FEATURE PERFORMANCE OF LEGENDARY ALBUM 'OPERATION:MINDCRIME' IN ITS ENTIRETY ALONG WITH FULL, ENHANCED PRODUCTION INCLUDING LIVE ACTORS

A GREATEST-HITS SET WITH LIVE STRINGS ALSO PLANNED

BAND WILL ALSO DEBUT PORTION OF MUSIC FOR UPCOMING SEQUEL STUDIO ALBUM TENTATIVELY TITLED 'OPERATION:MINDCRIME II'

Art rock pioneers Queensryche will perform the classic album 'Operation:mindcrime' in its entirety on the upcoming fall 2004/winter 2005 tour, which is being presented by VH1 Classic. A "greatest hits" set will open each show, and at the end of the night there will be a preview of the upcoming Sanctuary Records release 'Operation:mindcrime II,' the working title of the long-awaited, eagerly desired sequel to the groundbreaking concept album. Audiences will be blown away by the Surround Sound audio setup on the tour.

Vocalist Geoff Tate, guitarist Michael Wilton, guitarist Mike Stone, bassist Eddie Jackson and drummer Scott Rockenfield will open each show with a "greatest hits" set ending with the smash "Silent Lucidity." Local orchestra string sections will perform with the band in select cities. Michael Igor Delassandra, formerly an official composer for the Vatican, will accompany Queensryche and perform on keyboards.

“The band is so excited to be performing 'Operation:mindcrime' in its entirety again after not having done this in 15 years," says Tate. "We are presenting it in a whole new way that finally does justice the intricacies of the story and the personalities of the characters.�

'Operation:mindcrime' will be recreated in full with enhanced production. Live actors will embody the fascinating characters of this chilling tale -- interacting both on stage and off. Vocalist Pamela Moore, who toured with Queensryche recently, will be back to provide the vocals of the album's pivotal character, "Sister Mary." New video footage will be incorporated as well. Queensryche also performed 'Operation:mindcrime' in its entirety in 1990-91, but this time around new and expanded video footage will be used. Fans who saw the show in 1990-91 will enjoy a more vivid experience this time.

One of the most exciting parts of each concert will certainly be the finale -- the preview of 'Operation:mindcrime II.' Fans have wanted a sequel ever since 'Operation:mindcrime' exploded and earned the band critical acclaim and commercial success. In particular, fans have always asked one burning question in relation to the 'Operation:mindcrime' plot: "Who killed Sister Mary?" The new album, scheduled for release in 2005, will address that question.

The North American tour begins in October 2004 and another run of dates is planned to start in January 2005.
http://www.queensryche.com/news/index.html

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
The ryche is touring and playing the entire Operation: Mindcrime album live, with charachter actor on stage. They will also be coming out with Operation: Mindcrime II.
Holy ****!!!! I might have to quit my job and follow that tour around!! Mindcrime2?? It better not suck!!! QR hasnt put out really good stuff since Promised Land, IMO. Saw them on tour with Dream Theater last summer - they can still kick it live!!!

BV

SCORPIO

Awards
  • Established
Cool thread....those who know me know i'm a metal head and play guitar myself. Really are some good bands coming out, using more lead/solos. Some I have recently been turned on to and DL'ing are: necrophelia...viking crown<<<<Phil Anselmo projects....benediction...iced earth...zoa....quao vadis...nailed within...otep...arch enemy and many others.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Im a guitarist too, another big reason Im so psyched to hear all this guitar driven heavy music making a big resurgence. What kind of guitar(s) you have bro? Check out Unearth, some decent guitar work there. Also God Forbid. Dream Theater's new album (Train of Thought) is pretty kick ass, and of course the musicianship is unbelievable. DT was my all time favorite band for a long time. Their album Awake still kicks my ass - its like the ultimate in heavy progressive shred.:)

Arch Enemy is also killer, cant believe all that thunder is comming from a little blond chick!! Same with Otep - killer female vox.

SCORPIO

Awards
  • Established
Im a guitarist too, another big reason Im so psyched to hear all this guitar driven heavy music making a big resurgence. What kind of guitar(s) you have bro? Check out Unearth, some decent guitar work there. Also God Forbid. Dream Theater's new album (Train of Thought) is pretty kick ass, and of course the musicianship is unbelievable. DT was my all time favorite band for a long time. Their album Awake still kicks my ass - its like the ultimate in heavy progressive shred.:)

Arch Enemy is also killer, cant believe all that thunder is comming from a little blond chick!! Same with Otep - killer female vox.
Seen unearth in concert....put on a good show.

As for the axes, I have a Washburn WG series......BC Rich Rave, that I installed a George Lynch screamin demon pick up...and an Epiphone Les Paul. Crate full stack...chorus head....celestion speakers.....Rocktron maxe dist preamp/analog processor....digitech RP1 digital processor.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Heres some other bands you guys should check out if you like hardcore:
Unearth
Atreyu
Evergreen Terrace
Shai Hulud
Poison the well (old material was better than new ****)
Strongarm

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
Shai hulud sucks. Maybe it's that their pretty young and new, I don't know, but I personally think they are a bunch of turds. They came through our venue 3 times while I was there opening for a few people and on their own once, I think. It was pretty obvious they were upset by the crowd reaction. Nothing like getting your own free cd's and other shwag thrown back at you while you're playing to depress ya, and someone yelling "you suck!" can carry pretty well in an empty music hall. Once, they left their gear in the alley (not big enough to have hands) and asked me to keep an eye on it for a few minutes. After 30 minutes of waiting, watching them drink beer and telling me it'll be just another minute I walked away.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Shai hulud sucks. Maybe it's that their pretty young and new, I don't know, but I personally think they are a bunch of turds. They came through our venue 3 times while I was there opening for a few people and on their own once, I think. It was pretty obvious they were upset by the crowd reaction. Nothing like getting your own free cd's and other shwag thrown back at you while you're playing to depress ya, and someone yelling "you suck!" can carry pretty well in an empty music hall. Once, they left their gear in the alley (not big enough to have hands) and asked me to keep an eye on it for a few minutes. After 30 minutes of waiting, watching them drink beer and telling me it'll be just another minute I walked away.
We agree to disagree. And BTW, they are NOT new. Been around for many, many years.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
As for the axes, I have a Washburn WG series......BC Rich Rave, that I installed a George Lynch screamin demon pick up...and an Epiphone Les Paul. Crate full stack...chorus head....celestion speakers.....Rocktron maxe dist preamp/analog processor....digitech RP1 digital processor.
That's awesome. Have you done any recording? In a band at the moment?

SCORPIO

Awards
  • Established
That's awesome. Have you done any recording? In a band at the moment?
Was in a few bands during high school...played lots of parties and college events. Hadn't done any recording. No band at the moment, just me and my drummer....I got a drum set. We like to get together and jam for fun. Maybe I'll record us playing some time, lol. Looking to get a bass and PA sys in the future, then who knows, maybe we'll get something together....I know lots o heads who play.

Big V, what kind of axes/equip u have? band? recording?

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Was in a few bands during high school...played lots of parties and college events. Hadn't done any recording. No band at the moment, just me and my drummer....I got a drum set. We like to get together and jam for fun. Maybe I'll record us playing some time, lol. Looking to get a bass and PA sys in the future, then who knows, maybe we'll get something together....I know lots o heads who play.

Big V, what kind of axes/equip u have? band? recording?
Right now I have:

Ibanez RG7620 that I just installed 2 EMG707 actives in. Also a Dean EVO Special 7, and an Ibanez RG1077XL. (just got that one!)

Dean Edge Q6 bass

Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre, Marshall 9100 Power amp

2 Laney 4x12's that I modded to take the low end from the 7-strings

Also an Alvarez acoustic, and that Washburn 'traveller' acoustic.

No effects!! I just sold my POD Pro to get the Mesa, and I used the effects on that.

Ive got a bunch of recording gear/software plugins - do mostly everything on a PC running SONAR3.0. I have quite a few songs recorded, but still havent done a cohesive album (but Im gonna soon I swear!:p) Was in a band for a couple years, but we broke up and I moved away. Still buds with them all, though. I have Drumkit From Hell Superior on my PC so Im my own drummer now:)

Im dying to play out again - its been a long time since Ive been on a stage. Maybe get my ass in gear and do some open mic nights or something....

Musically Id probably be a lot further ahead if it werent for this damn bodybuilding stuff:):)

BV

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Damn! Im definately going to that QR show once or twice. Mindcrime2 better not suck - Im surprised they're even attempting writing a sequel to Operation:Mindcrime, which IMO is one of the greatest albums in history.

BV

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I agree, MindCrime is one of the best Rock-Operas ever.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

The new album, Angel Of Retribution, will be released:

28TH FEBRUARY 2005 - UK & EUROPE
1ST MARCH 2005 USA

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Damn! Im definately going to that QR show once or twice. Mindcrime2 better not suck - Im surprised they're even attempting writing a sequel to Operation:Mindcrime, which IMO is one of the greatest albums in history.

BV
BTW...got my "fan club" seats waiting at will call for the show in Phoenix on 2-15-05

big_D

Awards
Hate Breed and Primer 55 ..are top metal bands ....p55 will get you going the gym like never before !

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
You know I havent listened to it in a while but Dream Theater's 3rd album 'Awake' was completely kick ass. Perfect blend of hard metal and progressive rock.

jinkillkill

Banned
Awards
woah those bands suck.....................just kidding

Hate breed are coming here for the BDO which is cool- them and system of a down are like the only metal bands................we have lots of hip hop though-its fuckin ****.

Once with this ska-punk band I was in we had like 10-30 people for a 3-band full hall show

I love the new York hardcore man
do guys count that as metal? or not quite? i.e raised fist

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Couple of new CDs from the following bands are worth picking up for you HXC lovers:

Remembering Never
It Dies Today
As I Lay Dying

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I love the new York hardcore man
do guys count that as metal? or not quite? i.e raised fist
Im not a big punk fan myself buy my brother is and we're into a lot of the same metal bands. So, I guess you could consider it metal by proxy.:) I like a lot of Emo stuff, which a die-hard punk fan might consider lame.

Remembering Never
It Dies Today
As I Lay Dying
As I Lay Dying's new disc is bad ass!! I havent heard the other two yet. Shadows Fall's new on is also a BIG thumbs up.

SCORPIO

Awards
  • Established
Been listening to Lamb of god 'Ashes of the wake' latest album for about 4wks now. Its awsome, i cant stop listening to it.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
OPERATION: MINDCRIME

BTW...got my "fan club" seats waiting at will call for the show in Phoenix on 2-15-05
Saw the show on Tuesday night. My seats ended up being 2nd row (folding chairs) in an in-the-round 200 seat theater. This had me close enough to share the mic with Geoff. Solid, tight and most excellent show. Opened with a "best-of" set. There was a short intermission followed up with a spot on rendition of O:M. with character actors, one of which was Pamela Moore as Sister Mary. Geoff Tate is one of my most favorite vocalist and lyricists. To see him and literaly be close enough to harmonize with him was awsome.

Excellent show...:thumbsup:

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
How do you like the screamin demon pick up? I found an old Kramer pacer for 100.00 at a music store. The person who had it tried to put a pick up that wasn't F spaced , so I am trying to figure out what kind of pick up to put in it.

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
Saw the show on Tuesday night. My seats ended up being 2nd row (folding chairs) in an in-the-round 200 seat theater. This had me close enough to share the mic with Geoff. Solid, tight and most excellent show. Opened with a "best-of" set. There was a short intermission followed up with a spot on rendition of O:M. with character actors, one of which was Pamela Moore as Sister Mary. Geoff Tate is one of my most favorite vocalist and lyricists. To see him and literaly be close enough to harmonize with him was awsome.

Excellent show...
Did they play anything from mindcrime 2?

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
Ibanez RG7620 that I just installed 2 EMG707 actives in.
I almost bought one of thosde about a month ago. Sounds like you like the 7 string guitars.