A.A./N.A. Support Group Thread!

Page 3 of 5 First 12345 Last
  1. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.63%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Lungz View Post
    Suncloud and I touched on the subject of displacing addictions into healthier ones yesterday. Well, I want to add that it may be a good idea to not solely rely on them. Because if you replace a opiate addiction (example) with working out and a structured life, what will happen to you if a monkey wrench is thrown into the mix? It will happen; that's life in a nutshell. Nothing is guaranteed, nor is it written in stone. So it's a good idea to actually have a grasp on the addiction before displacing it.

Hit the nail on the head with this. You think you have control until something goes wrong in your life (and when it rains it pours)

2. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.89%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeRows View Post
    Hit the nail on the head with this. You think you have control until something goes wrong in your life (and when it rains it pours)
    And sometimes the rain feels like a million IED's being tossed at you.
    Some ignore the issues, put them away for the time being - saying that they will get help after this, or after that, the whole while trying so hard to get the ones around them to believe everything is fine.
    For me, I kept a journal of everything that I thought, or felt. I would read it over everyday from page one. I realized that it's better to not forget the black hole for which I fell into, but rather to give it a crown, call it king then knock it of its throne each day. I am King of my body, but bow to the King of my soul - the Lord. No point in hiding it; remembering the pain and the feelings of self-loss is the best way for me to step around that black hole each day.

/Ramble over.
    Last edited by Iron Lungz; 11-28-2008 at 10:47 AM.
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.47%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I totally agree on remembering where you came from,.. because from time to time a person might get to big for their britches! As far as a journal, I found it to be an important part of my daily life, when things bothered me, when I had trouble dealing with things, or just my own emotions,... it helped to put it on paper and get it out. Very cathartic(cleansing) to me,.. and it helped me find myself and not blame others, basically to see, my choices make me who I am!!!
    Think training's hard,. try losing!
    •   

4. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.42%

Thumbs up

awesome post iron and bonscott.just like the saying goes."those whom forget history are doomed to repeat it"...cant forget where we came from,and what we went through to get here!awesome posts from everyone!
    Last edited by bslick69b; 11-28-2008 at 11:03 AM.
    board supporter
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.9%

It's so encouraging that there are so many people in recovery on this forum. Where are you guys from?
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.47%

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania!!!
  7. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.42%

waimanalo,hawaii
    board supporter
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.73%

Seattle/Tacoma originally. West Virginia now.
  9. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  192 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.05%

And sometimes the rain feels like a million IED's being tossed at you.
    Some ignore the issues, put them away for the time being - saying that they will get help after this, or after that, the whole while trying so hard to get the ones around them to believe everything is fine.
    For me, I kept a journal of everything that I thought, or felt. I would read it over everyday from page one. I realized that it's better to not forget the black hole for which I fell into, but rather to give it a crown, call it king then knock it of its throne each day. I am King of my body, but bow to the King of my soul - the Lord. No point in hiding it; remembering the pain and the feelings of self-loss is the best way for me to step around that black hole each day.

/Ramble over.
  10. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  192 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.05%

Tampa
  11. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.12%

norcal baby!
  12. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  260 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.16%

My hats off to all who are starting the fight or have been in the battle a long time.

Ive had my issues with numerous substances and I actually lost the most when I found my reason for being sober.I wouldnt trade it for anything now though because if the people around you arent helkpiong you up then they must be bringing you down.

But by the grace of God I no longer have the desire for ANY mood altering substances and Ive battled the demons that I was hiding from and am a much better person for it.

Its been 5 yrs since Ive even drank a beer.I thing Id like to state is if anyone slips up dont beat yourself down ,just get back on that horse and ride cowboy ride!

Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths . Proverbs 3:5-6
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.1%

Quote Originally Posted by mmowry View Post
    My hats off to all who are starting the fight or have been in the battle a long time.

Ive had my issues with numerous substances and I actually lost the most when I found my reason for being sober.I wouldnt trade it for anything now though because if the people around you arent helkpiong you up then they must be bringing you down.

But by the grace of God I no longer have the desire for ANY mood altering substances and Ive battled the demons that I was hiding from and am a much better person for it.

Its been 5 yrs since Ive even drank a beer.I thing Id like to state is if anyone slips up dont beat yourself down ,just get back on that horse and ride cowboy ride!
    True.. so very true man! I had to cut everyone out of my life like the cancer they were and all I was left with was my loving family. I still ain't perfect, but at least Im alive.
  14. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.32%

its funny that a lot of us got serious about bodybuilding when we gave up the drink. one big reason why i stay sober is because of the way i feel alcohol inhibits muscle recovery.

i have a hard time when the holidays roll around, you have to keep your head straight.
  15. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.1%

Quote Originally Posted by EatMeat View Post
    its funny that a lot of us got serious about bodybuilding when we gave up the drink. one big reason why i stay sober is because of the way i feel alcohol inhibits muscle recovery.

i have a hard time when the holidays roll around, you have to keep your head straight.
    Alcohol does alot of things bro, none of which are positive to muscle growth(just look at me lol)
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.9%

destin, florida. I was in boca raton for a few months recently though hman.
  17. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  221 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.83%

LOL ... my first post and it's about recovery - I was done using at the ripe old age of 25. I am about to turn 40 here shortly and have not found it necessary to use since - I have good teachers and stay close to the Recovery "pulse." Iron Lungz - I like your style - pertaining to negative peeps in forums. I keep traditions 10 and 11 in mind these days.
  18. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.12%

lol at destin. you're like the only tan person in that neck of the woods . i was there for a few days back in 98. there, niceville, fort walton beach. i felt so out of place...
  19. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.89%

Quote Originally Posted by wsp fan View Post
    LOL ... my first post and it's about recovery - I was done using at the ripe old age of 25. I am about to turn 40 here shortly and have not found it necessary to use since - I have good teachers and stay close to the Recovery "pulse." Iron Lungz - I like your style - pertaining to negative peeps in forums. I keep traditions 10 and 11 in mind these days.
    Welcome to AM!
    I can ensure you that this thread is full of people that are genuine and are eager to help those around them.
  20. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.47%

tim makes a good point in having to cut yourself off,... I mean I kept thinking I could go around old people, places, and things. I relapsed several times till I changed my phone number and just started all over. Don't get me wrong, the obsession creeps in every now and again, but I pray, call someone, or workout,and other things, because I alone can not beat the obsession. So I try not to let obsession and opportunity meet!!
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.73%

I have a whole new set of friends too. I was told to change everything, and I pretty much did. I still see my neighbor obviously, and he was one of my best drinkin buddies. But he knew I had a problem and on those rare occasions when I go over there (he's a great mechanic and does work on our cars sometimes) He never tries to pressure me into drinking with him. Gotta respect that.
  22. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.47%

Yes, I find that people who truly respect me, try to be conscious of what I'm going through,.. others say what is something wrong with you, you don't drink?,... I just laugh or say yeah, I'm sick in the mind, and most don't know what to say after that!!!
  23. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.19%

Quote Originally Posted by bonscott View Post
    tim makes a good point in having to cut yourself off,... I mean I kept thinking I could go around old people, places, and things. I relapsed several times till I changed my phone number and just started all over. Don't get me wrong, the obsession creeps in every now and again, but I pray, call someone, or workout,and other things, because I alone can not beat the obsession. So I try not to let obsession and opportunity meet!!
    the one thing i have found that is necessary to my perminant recovery is helping others. being, unselfish. now the funny thing about what we do here is, BB for the most part is selfish. we do this for ourselves, we look in the mirror and vainly admire ourselves. not all of us, but think about it, "man i'm looking huge today, i set a personal best today..YEA!" and all the other things we tell ourselves or the things we're told by others. now, of course i'm not saying this applies to all, and for the most part, building self-esteem is a great thing for addicts, alcoholics or "normies" (whatever the hell that is), but i find myself, at times, being to vain, being selfish again, going to the gym instead of going to a treatment center and passing the message along.....this for me, is something ineed to watch and keep a close eye on. if i go back to being selfish, i'm most likely, done....for good. i speak of myself and others i personally know on this subject. even now as i sit here, having just had my gall bladder removed on Weds., not being able to work out, i think of the next time i will be pushing weight.....my addiction to alcohol and drugs would have put me in the grave already, this i know, and any obsession that i let become more important than helping others will do me in the same. keeping balence is not at all times easy, no matter how long you've been sober. family, work, helping others, self improvment, these things are a task to keep even.......but this WO "addiction" will not kill me like drugs but it might, if i don't watch it, lead my back to what will......selfishness. selfishness, self-centeredness, that we think is the root of our problem........peace, brothers
  24. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.19%

Quote Originally Posted by RedwolfWV View Post
    I have a whole new set of friends too. I was told to change everything, and I pretty much did. I still see my neighbor obviously, and he was one of my best drinkin buddies. But he knew I had a problem and on those rare occasions when I go over there (he's a great mechanic and does work on our cars sometimes) He never tries to pressure me into drinking with him. Gotta respect that.
    those people are awesome to have. the ones who somewhat understand, and don't pressure you to be who you were, that awesome. when i go to bars now, to see a band, and see some who have not seen me in a while, i just say i'm not drinking, thats it. they are cool with it, and i never go into why i don't drink.....drinkers will not stand for that, i just let them know i'm not drinking, drive them home if i need to, try and bring as much fun to a situation as i can, and if they have a problem with what i put, or don't put into my body, then i don't really need to hand with them anyway and will remember that the next time they invite me to go out....
  25. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.47%

I hear you lennox, my sponsor said I go to the gym to much, so I switched up to DC training and only go 3xweek, and I make sure to hit a meeting just as much as the gym. I try to balance it out.
    As far as vanity goes, I believe the human race came as far as it did because of vanity, but whatever,... I find if I do God's work, such as love and service, he does my work, guiding my life, will, and recovery!
  26. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.5%

AA = Anabolics Anonymous or Androgens Anonymous
  27. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37%

this is great i just celebrated 3 years clean i was just going through this site to find info on a new product and wound up registering because of this thread its great to see all these people working on their mind body and spirit mad props to all moving in the right direction
  28. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.47%

Congrats are in order,.. and welcome. Your gonna love it here, informative, fun,and free!!
  29. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.89%

Quote Originally Posted by johnb1027 View Post
    this is great i just celebrated 3 years clean i was just going through this site to find info on a new product and wound up registering because of this thread its great to see all these people working on their mind body and spirit mad props to all moving in the right direction
    Welcome and enjoy!
  30. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.42%

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by johnb1027 View Post
    congratulations! on 3 yrs. john..and welcome to anabolicminds.com.your going to love it here!..i know i do.
    board supporter
  31. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.89%

I've been thinking a great deal about this quote lately, and I want to share it with you guys. Maybe it will motivate one of you that may feel down...

People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and, if they can't find them, make them.
    - George Bernard Shaw
    I hope you all had a great holiday!
  32. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.42%

Thumbs up

I've been thinking a great deal about this quote lately, and I want to share it with you guys. Maybe it will motivate one of you that may feel down...

I hope you all had a great holiday!
    that is a great quote ironlungz!
    board supporter
  33. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.47%

So I go into the bar, and ask for a six pack.
    The bartender says, that'll be 5.50 and every good friend you have.
    I say, I'll take it.
    I go get a case of beer, and the cashier says, that'll be 14.00 and your marriage.
    I say, I'll take it.
    I go to the liquor store , and ask for a bottle of tequila.
    The cashier says, that'll be 20 bucks and your license to practice *******, I say, I'll take it.
    Why wouldn't I? Alcohol was more important than anything in my life.
    So I thought I would stop drinking, and boy **** didn't get better. I was white knuckled in sobriety. Unable to interact with people without something in my system. Relapsing over and over, because I was going to meetings, but not doing any work.
    Today, I am in recovery, not sobriety. I am willing to work the steps(the only thing that works for me). I mean meetings are temporary, fellowship is temporary,.. without action, I am dead.
    Slowly, I've built myself up, I go in front of the board next month to see if I can get my license back. Great if I do,.. if not, I'm okay. It's all part of God's plan for me.
    Thanks for letting me share!
  34. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.32%

^^nice share.^^

maybe we can setup a sub forum here called alcoholicminds
  35. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.42%

^^nice share.^^

maybe we can setup a sub forum here called alcoholicminds
    was that a joke or are you serious?
    board supporter
  36. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.32%

Quote Originally Posted by bslick69b View Post
    was that a joke or are you serious?
    I am a fellow recovering alcoholic.
    In reading this thread it seems that there are a lot of us on this forum, although i was joking about the name, a subforum dedicated to those in recovery may be useful and help somebody, as it would bring more people together who share common interests, could be a valuble tool. one could recieve support from fellow bodybuilders, which is going to be rare elsewhere.

of course we wouldnt have to call it "alcoholicminds," but you have to admit that it is a good spin off of anabolicminds and it sounds a bit catchy.
  37. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.42%

I am a fellow recovering alcoholic.
    In reading this thread it seems that there are a lot of us on this forum, although i was joking about the name, a subforum dedicated to those in recovery may be useful and help somebody, as it would bring more people together who share common interests, could be a valuble tool. one could recieve support from fellow bodybuilders, which is going to be rare elsewhere.

of course we wouldnt have to call it "alcoholicminds," but you have to admit that it is a good spin off of anabolicminds and it sounds a bit catchy.
    have you read the previous post in here!..or have you just started from the last one!
    board supporter
  38. Board Moderator
    Unbreakable
  39. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.86%

I latched onto the prayer request thread.

10+ years recovering alcoholic/drug addict here.

Just wanted to jump in and say hi.

If anyone ever needs to talk or has questions please dont hesitate to PM.

Glad to see this thread in here.

Maybe a sub-forum will result in the future.
  40. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.42%

Quote Originally Posted by Kristofer68SS View Post
    I latched onto the prayer request thread.

10+ years recovering alcoholic/drug addict here.

Just wanted to jump in and say hi.

If anyone ever needs to talk or has questions please dont hesitate to PM.

Glad to see this thread in here.

Maybe a sub-forum will result in the future.
    same here gentleman!..any of you can p.m me anytime also!
    board supporter

Similar Forum Threads

1. The Unemployment Support Thread
    By David Dunn in forum General Chat
    Replies: 195
    Last Post: 06-22-2014, 09:42 PM
  2. Cheat Day Support Group, members check in!
    By Massiah in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-19-2011, 08:37 PM
  3. Drive/RPM Support Group (DRLA) Come in..
    By Vitruvian in forum Supplements
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 11-12-2007, 03:25 PM