A.A./N.A. Support Group Thread!

Page 3 of 7 First 12345 ... Last

1. 3-1/2 years or so now for me. to those who are "early in" stick with what works for you, if it's AA/NA/CA or standing on your head in the corner. there are many methods, everyone is different, things work differently for each of us. experience? AA/CA worked well for me, did not for my GF of a year and a half now, she went, did the steps and still used, she found a different way and claims the only thing good that came out of her AA experience is me, i have to remind her that everything she did, everything she heard, and all her experiences got her where she is right now. to the guy that went to AA in his teens and had a bad experience i will say the same thing, everything you have experienced till now and the way you perceive it, has gotten you where you are......and if you had a problem and are sober now, who gives a dam how you got there. everyones greatest asset is the one thing that no one can ever take from you........your experiences in this life, all of them. use what you have to educate others but, to not have tolerance towards other methods or avenues is not the way to walk this earth, or interact with others. even when i work with newcomers, i tell them that "this is what worked for me, i don't know if it will work for you", now when you say that to a group of 30+ patients in a rehab, you get mixed responses, but the truth is the best avenue for me.

2. I agree Lennoxchi. My first sponsor told me "There are many paths to the top of the mountain. The trick is to find the one that works for you"

AA and the twelve steps and the Grace of God have worked for me. I think I'll keep doing what I've been doing.
    •   

3. Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by lennoxchi View Post
    3-1/2 years or so now for me. to those who are "early in" stick with what works for you, if it's AA/NA/CA or standing on your head in the corner. there are many methods, everyone is different, things work differently for each of us. experience? AA/CA worked well for me, did not for my GF of a year and a half now, she went, did the steps and still used, she found a different way and claims the only thing good that came out of her AA experience is me, i have to remind her that everything she did, everything she heard, and all her experiences got her where she is right now. to the guy that went to AA in his teens and had a bad experience i will say the same thing, everything you have experienced till now and the way you perceive it, has gotten you where you are......and if you had a problem and are sober now, who gives a dam how you got there. everyones greatest asset is the one thing that no one can ever take from you........your experiences in this life, all of them. use what you have to educate others but, to not have tolerance towards other methods or avenues is not the way to walk this earth, or interact with others. even when i work with newcomers, i tell them that "this is what worked for me, i don't know if it will work for you", now when you say that to a group of 30+ patients in a rehab, you get mixed responses, but the truth is the best avenue for me.
    3.5 yrs. awesome job lennoxchi!..
  4. Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by RedwolfWV View Post
    I agree Lennoxchi. My first sponsor told me "There are many paths to the top of the mountain. The trick is to find the one that works for you"

AA and the twelve steps and the Grace of God have worked for me. I think I'll keep doing what I've been doing.
    keep on keepin on redwolf,awesome!

5. great job guys, keep it up--

as for me I mis-understood the title, I thought it was "anabolics anonymous"

peace~
    PHF Rep

6. Quote Originally Posted by Iron Lungz View Post
    Suncloud and I touched on the subject of displacing addictions into healthier ones yesterday. Well, I want to add that it may be a good idea to not solely rely on them. Because if you replace a opiate addiction (example) with working out and a structured life, what will happen to you if a monkey wrench is thrown into the mix? It will happen; that's life in a nutshell. Nothing is guaranteed, nor is it written in stone. So it's a good idea to actually have a grasp on the addiction before displacing it.

Bobby (bslick) started this thread with the intentions of reaching out to those that may want/need some guidance, or a friend to talk to... so let's respect that. There's absolutely no need for anyone to come in here with a sarcastic tone, and add negative comments. If this isn't your thing, move on - but don't throw start throwing mud at people (or subjects) unless you're willing to help.

Just a thought.
    completely agree. though filling that void with something else can help. for example, the oxycontin that my g/f was on, was snorted. if she doesn't find something to occupy her time, she tends to hang around the house, and her thoughts go back to abusing the meds. i'm not saying its a 100% fix, but it can help.

secondly, i hope your second paragraph wasn't addressed at me. if it was, i apologize for coming off that way, which was never my intention.

7. Quote Originally Posted by lennoxchi View Post
    3-1/2 years or so now for me. to those who are "early in" stick with what works for you, if it's AA/NA/CA or standing on your head in the corner. there are many methods, everyone is different, things work differently for each of us. experience? AA/CA worked well for me, did not for my GF of a year and a half now, she went, did the steps and still used, she found a different way and claims the only thing good that came out of her AA experience is me, i have to remind her that everything she did, everything she heard, and all her experiences got her where she is right now. to the guy that went to AA in his teens and had a bad experience i will say the same thing, everything you have experienced till now and the way you perceive it, has gotten you where you are......and if you had a problem and are sober now, who gives a dam how you got there. everyones greatest asset is the one thing that no one can ever take from you........your experiences in this life, all of them. use what you have to educate others but, to not have tolerance towards other methods or avenues is not the way to walk this earth, or interact with others. even when i work with newcomers, i tell them that "this is what worked for me, i don't know if it will work for you", now when you say that to a group of 30+ patients in a rehab, you get mixed responses, but the truth is the best avenue for me.

So true. So, so true. That's what I love most about the program, the principles of the program do not state or ask anymore of me than I ask of myself. Sure some personalities can throw in their 2 cents and try to manipulate the program to fit their conceptions of right and wrong. But the program put me in conscious contact with my higher power... and showed me a path to stay there.

8. Even in rehab, I had somewhat of a relapse. I remember asking to be put on Wellbutrin, so when I was I would hoard my pills (spit them out when I was in my room) and when I had a few of them I would crush them up and insufflate them. I did this twice and though it killed my nose, I was speeded out. Only I was speeded out in a bad way. I was pacing back and forth like a retard. I never did that again. It was embarassing.
    Freedom means nothing here.

9. Ugh.. That would suck. I never went into rehab. Just did the DT thing on the couch 4 or 5 different times. Fun times. Ya right.
  10. Smile

Quote Originally Posted by suncloud View Post
    completely agree. though filling that void with something else can help. for example, the oxycontin that my g/f was on, was snorted. if she doesn't find something to occupy her time, she tends to hang around the house, and her thoughts go back to abusing the meds. i'm not saying its a 100% fix, but it can help.

secondly, i hope your second paragraph wasn't addressed at me. if it was, i apologize for coming off that way, which was never my intention.
    no!..i dont think it was addressed to you suncloud!
    •   

11. Quote Originally Posted by suncloud View Post

No, not at all. You are providing great information - it was directed toward anyone that might want to say that rehab doesn't work.
  12. Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Lungz View Post
    No, not at all. You are providing great information - it was directed toward anyone that might want to say that rehab doesn't work.
    yes..i second that..suncloud you're very helpful and thanks for using your experience to help.also thanks ironlungz for your help also and for clarifying your satement!

13. Everything is not for everybody,.. but for me, I must say goodbye to self and put it all in God's omnipotent hands. I mean, I believe there has to be a guardian angel or some kinda destiny, as I prolly shoulda been dead a long time ago!!!
    I pasted this following from a post in general chat, but it's one of my tools,...I attend a mens group that is basically about how to be a man. You'd think at 37 I'd have that covered, but, well, it is what it is. The main things we concentrate on are integrity and accountability, and how they show up in your life. Not everyone there is addict, was an addict, whatever. That's the one group I hit every week without fail, even if I don't make an AA meeting!!! It's made a big difference in my life. It's loosely based on SWET, which is spiritual warfare effectiveness training.
    Think training's hard,. try losing!

14. Quote Originally Posted by bonscott View Post
    Everything is not for everybody,.. but for me, I must say goodbye to self and put it all in God's omnipotent hands. I mean, I believe there has to be a guardian angel or some kinda destiny, as I prolly shoulda been dead a long time ago!!!
    I pasted this following from a post in general chat, but it's one of my tools,...I attend a mens group that is basically about how to be a man. You'd think at 37 I'd have that covered, but, well, it is what it is. The main things we concentrate on are integrity and accountability, and how they show up in your life. Not everyone there is addict, was an addict, whatever. That's the one group I hit every week without fail, even if I don't make an AA meeting!!! It's made a big difference in my life. It's loosely based on SWET, which is spiritual warfare effectiveness training.
    sounds interesting, wonder if theres any thing like that here in Chi-Town

15. SWET has camping trips every summer that are quite interesting,.. you could look it up online! Also, there is a program called WAR, that is similar!!!
  16. Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bonscott View Post
    Everything is not for everybody,.. but for me, I must say goodbye to self and put it all in God's omnipotent hands. I mean, I believe there has to be a guardian angel or some kinda destiny, as I prolly shoulda been dead a long time ago!!!
    amen..brothers!..god is with us all,and we still being around to enjoy life is testament to that reality!
    board supporter

17. Quote Originally Posted by bslick69b View Post
    dont worry chub!..there is help!

I feel more relaxed when my order comes in and i make a big tower in my living room
    “We are what we repeatedly do. Therefore, e****lence is not an act, but a habit.”

18. Quote Originally Posted by Chub View Post
    I feel more relaxed when my order comes in and i make a big tower in my living room
    LOL..goodone!
    board supporter

19. Quote Originally Posted by Iron Lungz View Post
    Suncloud and I touched on the subject of displacing addictions into healthier ones yesterday. Well, I want to add that it may be a good idea to not solely rely on them. Because if you replace a opiate addiction (example) with working out and a structured life, what will happen to you if a monkey wrench is thrown into the mix? It will happen; that's life in a nutshell. Nothing is guaranteed, nor is it written in stone. So it's a good idea to actually have a grasp on the addiction before displacing it.

Bobby (bslick) started this thread with the intentions of reaching out to those that may want/need some guidance, or a friend to talk to... so let's respect that. There's absolutely no need for anyone to come in here with a sarcastic tone, and add negative comments. If this isn't your thing, move on - but don't throw start throwing mud at people (or subjects) unless you're willing to help.

Just a thought.
    I agree totally with you lungz!

20. Great thread

21. Quote Originally Posted by Iron Lungz View Post

Hit the nail on the head with this. You think you have control until something goes wrong in your life (and when it rains it pours)

22. Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeRows View Post
    Hit the nail on the head with this. You think you have control until something goes wrong in your life (and when it rains it pours)
    And sometimes the rain feels like a million IED's being tossed at you.
    Some ignore the issues, put them away for the time being - saying that they will get help after this, or after that, the whole while trying so hard to get the ones around them to believe everything is fine.
    For me, I kept a journal of everything that I thought, or felt. I would read it over everyday from page one. I realized that it's better to not forget the black hole for which I fell into, but rather to give it a crown, call it king then knock it of its throne each day. I am King of my body, but bow to the King of my soul - the Lord. No point in hiding it; remembering the pain and the feelings of self-loss is the best way for me to step around that black hole each day.

/Ramble over.
    Last edited by Iron Lungz; 11-28-2008 at 10:47 AM.

23. I totally agree on remembering where you came from,.. because from time to time a person might get to big for their britches! As far as a journal, I found it to be an important part of my daily life, when things bothered me, when I had trouble dealing with things, or just my own emotions,... it helped to put it on paper and get it out. Very cathartic(cleansing) to me,.. and it helped me find myself and not blame others, basically to see, my choices make me who I am!!!
  24. Thumbs up

awesome post iron and bonscott.just like the saying goes."those whom forget history are doomed to repeat it"...cant forget where we came from,and what we went through to get here!awesome posts from everyone!
    Last edited by bslick69b; 11-28-2008 at 11:03 AM.
    board supporter

25. It's so encouraging that there are so many people in recovery on this forum. Where are you guys from?

26. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania!!!

27. waimanalo,hawaii
    board supporter

28. Seattle/Tacoma originally. West Virginia now.

29. Quote Originally Posted by Iron Lungz View Post
    And sometimes the rain feels like a million IED's being tossed at you.
    Some ignore the issues, put them away for the time being - saying that they will get help after this, or after that, the whole while trying so hard to get the ones around them to believe everything is fine.
    For me, I kept a journal of everything that I thought, or felt. I would read it over everyday from page one. I realized that it's better to not forget the black hole for which I fell into, but rather to give it a crown, call it king then knock it of its throne each day. I am King of my body, but bow to the King of my soul - the Lord. No point in hiding it; remembering the pain and the feelings of self-loss is the best way for me to step around that black hole each day.

/Ramble over.

30. Tampa

Similar Forum Threads

1. The Unemployment Support Thread
    By David Dunn in forum General Chat
    Replies: 195
    Last Post: 06-22-2014, 09:42 PM
  2. Cheat Day Support Group, members check in!
    By Massiah in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-19-2011, 08:37 PM
  3. Drive/RPM Support Group (DRLA) Come in..
    By Vitruvian in forum Supplements
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 11-12-2007, 03:25 PM