knee flexibility???squats

jbthumper

Awards
OK, I have been training for several years now and have been doing leg presses instead of squats due to my limited flexibility in my knees and it kills them to squat. I have no pain after working out. So I want to start to squat to train heavy for strength in a year or so. What would be some good excerises to get my knee flexiblilty up and start to squat with light weights. I was thinking maybe more on the hack squat machine but do not know if it is wise? any suggestions?
Thanks!
JB

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Are you sure that your technique is ok? Most of the time if there is knee pain, bad technique is the culprit.

jbthumper

Awards
I am not ruling out technique at all. I know when I bend my knees while standing or while squatting they are tight and I can feel that. Should I watch my technique and do several sets with just the bar? I do not have weak legs but with squats just the bar is tough at the bottom. I understand that any new excerise until u get the technique and all down it will be very light with weights. So I just what I am asking is should I do lots of sets very light weights and work on the weight with an aux excerise until I get it down and my knees get used to it. and if so, would u do the light sets (squats) first then hit the heavy on the press latter.
Thanks for all the help and any thoughts would be helpful

bulls**t

bulls**t

Awards
  • Established
First make sure you are fully warmed up.
Then for a few workouts just squat using your own body weight.
For an otherwise healthy 25 year old male, a squat with good form should not cause knee pain, and should only increase flexbility.
Finish up your workout with some nice deep static stretches, ideally use PNF if you have a partner.