Proper Techniques

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The purpose of the thread is to sort of act as a reference for proper technique for various basic exercises common to any routine. It’ll have video and picture aids to better describe how to perform these exercises correctly. There are threads posted daily asking for how to perform a certain exercise, and I feel that having a thread like this to reference back to will make answering such questions easier.

Again, these are general guidelines explaining the movements, keys to moving the weight effectively and safely, and things to avoid doing in order to stay safe and to get the most out of a movement. It’s not really a place to “argue” about how to do dips in order to target the pecs better, although if you have a video on that you can feel free to add to this “database.”

Bench Press
How to Bench Press - YouTube
So You Think You Can Bench (Parts1-7)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vUcjOIZc80c

Deadlift

Dave tate on Dead lifting conventional & sumo - YouTube
How to Deadlift - YouTube

Bent Over Row
How to do a Bent Over Row - YouTube
Barbell Bent-over Row (provides an interesting discussion in the comment section on

Shoulder Press

How to Shoulder Press - YouTube

Squat

So You Think You Can Squat (Parts 1-5)
How to Squat properly - YouTube

Dips
How to do Dips - YouTube

Pull Ups
Pull-up - Weight lifting, Olympic, weightlifting, strength, conditioning, fitness, Exercise Demo Video - Catalyst Athletics

Clean
Clean, Part 1, How To, Olympic Weightlifting - YouTube
Clean, Part 2, How To, Olympic Weightlifting - YouTube
Clean, Part 3, How To, Olympic Weightlifting - YouTube

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Exrx is also an excellent resource

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah, we should have a thing like this stickied. Agreed.

Also, thanks for the pullup link. I'll check it out and update my post.
Exrx is also an excellent resource
Yes it is! Wonderful for not just information on various exercises but also for ideas to pick up new exercises. I went to it to mine for rear delt exercises that I could do since I really hate most of the common ones other people do.

Newtonselite

Newtonselite

Awards
  • Established
funny you made this thread, over the last few weeks ive posted a good amount elitefts stuff to guys in numerous threads wanting form advice, as ive mentioned before theres not many better then dave tate and the elite fts boys for good training advice and lifting form

BB12

BB12

Awards
  • Established
Excellent idea for education/refresher information for all.

RepAfterRep

Awards
Great idea! I like watching these videos to improve technique and get tips for hitting target areas better.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Great idea! Subbd

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good stuff man. Thanks.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Glad you guys still find this info useful. Remember if you have any vids that you think are useful for teaching any commonly-used movement pass it along and I'll throw it up there. This can be vids on the big movements like military press or deadlifting, or it can be vids on things as specialized as RDLs or rack chins (hint hint on rack chins).

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Nice work compiling. I agree on the sticky. Now if someone would make one with Mobility and Rehab/Prehab stuff...

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
If I can ever get on here from a PC and not my phone I'd like to find a good one for good mornings. Hopefully soon

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If I can ever get on here from a PC and not my phone I'd like to find a good one for good mornings. Hopefully soon

It'd be a good addition. I found an instructional video on Catalyst Athletics, but it teaches the goodmorning totally wrong. While the description offers at least 2 variations, the one it shows has way too much hip extension. Hip extension (IOW the squatting motion) should be minimal and only ever present if you're trying to hack up a suspended good morning. It should never be present in a goodmorning starting in a standing position.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It'd be a good addition. I found an instructional video on Catalyst Athletics, but it teaches the goodmorning totally wrong. While the description offers at least 2 variations, the one it shows has way too much hip extension. Hip extension (IOW the squatting motion) should be minimal and only ever present if you're trying to hack up a suspended good morning. It should never be present in a goodmorning starting in a standing position.
My problem is I never do them as I was never taught properly. I was just told hold the weight and lean forward with a straight back. That movement seems very risky to chance doing wrong.

Hopefully I can contribute here soon. Really hard to sit at a pc lately. I will post up stuff though.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There really isn't a "proper" way to do good mornings per se. It changes immensely depending on bar position, stance, and what bar is being used. The method that I like to employ is think of the same motion as a RDL, but with the bar on your back instead of in your hands.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
There really isn't a "proper" way to do good mornings per se. It changes immensely depending on bar position, stance, and what bar is being used. The method that I like to employ is think of the same motion as a RDL, but with the bar on your back instead of in your hands.
Thanks for the info. I watched a lot of videos the other night and they all were slightly different. I have decided I am going to try them next week in place of deads(as something to switch too).