Need advice. Tweaking my macros.

Page 3 of 3 First 123

1. Quote Originally Posted by MeatHead1o1 View Post
    I'm trying to do the same program as you. What are you weighing in at ?
    Diet or workout? I currently weight 210.

2. Quote Originally Posted by IPOM

Diet or workout? I currently weight 210.
    I already read your workout, it looks good. And I'm currently trying to Tweek my diet but just like you I'm prone to gain the midsection weight so I'm trying to get lean gains by the best means possible. I weigh 215. I could burn some fat but I know the more muscle I have the more fat I burn. Are you going to stick with your new diet ratios? I need a similar model
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by MeatHead1o1

I already read your workout, it looks good. And I'm currently trying to Tweek my diet but just like you I'm prone to gain the midsection weight so I'm trying to get lean gains by the best means possible. I weigh 215. I could burn some fat but I know the more muscle I have the more fat I burn. Are you going to stick with your new diet ratios? I need a similar model
    How are you calculating your diet? Is it 40/40/20? I'm thinking about doing about 3300 calories a day, but I don't know how many carbs I need, protein, and fat. Do you know how to calculate this ?

4. Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    Haha I knew my post would come back to haunt me. Just to be clear, I do not promote a low-carb diet and my initial point was not toward low carb. My point was that fat intake does not make you fat and i have provided several studies and videos to demonstrate my point. But form an anecdotal point of view, many members of this forum have low-carb diets yet are very muscular; must be doing something right. AutoKal47 for one NEVER eats carbs and if you see his avatar it clearly works for him. The body isnt so fast to degrade muscle tissue and is not as catabolic as people think.

You stated that fat intake makes you fat, which is not true, considering it is actually recommened to have at least 30-33% of your calories from fats. Considering that saturated fats aid in testosterone production and other fats aid in hormone transport (steroid hormones which travel unbinded through the blood) and in vitamin storage (fat solubles).

But on a final note, EFA's are essential, nowhere in the diet are carbs essential; beneficial yes, but they are a non-essential macro nutrient. Your body needs EFAs and EAAs for survival (not synthesized by the body).

You also state that fats cannot be utilised for anaerobic activity, this isnt true. Beta Oxidation (in which fatty acids are used as energy) occurs which is the breakdown on fatty acids to produce Acetyl CoA and by-products of the breakdown of fatty acids are called Ketone Bodies which can be used in the replacement of glucose. The process is of course slow to begin with, but as the body adapts to low carb, the process becomes more effecient; allowing for continuation of high intensity exercise in the absence of carbohydrate.

I bolded that phrase above as that is a very broad statement and there is more going on that simply fatty acids entering cells. Yes, fats are utilized for aerobic metabolism (more energy efficient and creates more ATP per molecule than glucose) and this is not disputed, but the process is not black and white. And I quote: "Carnitine transports long-chain acyl groups from fatty acids into the mitochondrial matrix, so they can be broken down through β-oxidation to acetyl CoA to obtain usable energy via the citric acid cycle. In some organisms, the acetate is used in the glyoxylate cycle for gluconeogenesis and formation of carbohydrates".

Going back for a moment, and considering the Krebs cycle, lactate is a by-product of the Glycolytic system and is converted into pyruvate which can be converted into glucose via gluconeogenesis. Interestingly, odd chain fatty acids can be broken down into succinyl CoA which can become pyruvate in the absense of glycogen. Hence how anaerobic energy can be made in the absense of glucose.

This is a very brief breakdown, but I hope it clears it up a bit.

We could argue round in circles, or agree to disagree.
    We can agree to disagree about this one thing - 'that you need 30% fats for optimal health and that 1000+ calories in fats per day isn't gonna hold you back in being as lean as you can.'

As for what I said about the diet and EFA's- you didn't read carefully: "Reduce dietary fat. Supplement with Omega-6 fats (but not too much). You want just enough fat to maintain health. I prefer the 10-15% range myself."

If you just stop and ponder about the concept of fat in the body and how it contributes to survival - you'd start to realize the decreasing necessity of a high fat diet in a food-abundant (and carb/protein abundant) society like America. My philosophy on the diet is really to maximize metabolism to increase calorie deficit without cutting the calories. Fat doesn't increase the metabolism unless it is a MCT. Regardless, a number of times you pulled examples of things to try and prove me wrong, yet they were brought out of context. (Example is your idea that ketone bodies are used for energy in anaerobic activity). This is the case if you go keto for long enough but isn't the case for the OP. When you are eating 300-400g carbs per day you aren't keto and unless you consumed MCT oil you aren't using ketone bodies for energy during anaerobic training. You are using glucose, creatine and amino acids. All of those come from proteins and carbs. I continued to make points revolving around what the OP was doing. Keep the argument relevant and you'll have better luck next time convincing me (or anyone) of something.

5. Quote Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
    We can agree to disagree about this one thing - 'that you need 30% fats for optimal health and that 1000+ calories in fats per day isn't gonna hold you back in being as lean as you can.'

As for what I said about the diet and EFA's- you didn't read carefully: "Reduce dietary fat. Supplement with Omega-6 fats (but not too much). You want just enough fat to maintain health. I prefer the 10-15% range myself."

If you just stop and ponder about the concept of fat in the body and how it contributes to survival - you'd start to realize the decreasing necessity of a high fat diet in a food-abundant (and carb/protein abundant) society like America. My philosophy on the diet is really to maximize metabolism to increase calorie deficit without cutting the calories. Fat doesn't increase the metabolism unless it is a MCT. Regardless, a number of times you pulled examples of things to try and prove me wrong, yet they were brought out of context. (Example is your idea that ketone bodies are used for energy in anaerobic activity). This is the case if you go keto for long enough but isn't the case for the OP. When you are eating 300-400g carbs per day you aren't keto and unless you consumed MCT oil you aren't using ketone bodies for energy during anaerobic training. You are using glucose, creatine and amino acids. All of those come from proteins and carbs. I continued to make points revolving around what the OP was doing. Keep the argument relevant and you'll have better luck next time convincing me (or anyone) of something.
    Ahh yes. I was simply pointing out that high fats do not translate into fat gain and was using studies and things to reinforce this point. I have a "thing" against the misunderstanding of fats role in the diet and that dietary fats translate into adipose fat, which is not true. This is what my argument was against.

6. Quote Originally Posted by MeatHead1o1 View Post
    I'll probably drop one of the gainer shakes and replace it with something less dense in calories.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Need advice about my son`s rash.
    By Chad in forum General Chat
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-18-2007, 04:06 PM
  2. need advice about my cycle
    By muddytraks in forum 35 and Older
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-18-2007, 04:34 PM
  3. Need advice on my bulk diet Please.
    By Fun2Train in forum Bulking
    Replies: 11