Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.53%

Ever tried dead lifting after squats?

Has anyone ever tried doing dead lifts after wasting your legs on squats?

I tried it the other day and gotta say... what a pain in the ass - I'm not doing it again!

when it came to the dead lifts I just could not be f'd.

Honestly, if you do this, then hats off. I'm not hardcore enough for it.

lol...

2. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.85%

I used to do this and it would tear me up real nice but I just decided to split my deads and squats up.
  3. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.31%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Really don't see the point in doing this.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  178 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.48%

I used to but they get in the way with each other and I separate them

Squats - M,F

DL - W
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.7%

Yeah, I can't see the point in doing both the same day, even day after. I would split them up at least 2 days apart. First, they together are to hard on the back. Second, they are the top exercises for releasing growth hormone in your body,... splitting them means more gh to go around!!!
    Think training's hard,. try losing!
  6. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'9"  192 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.66%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Not exactly a recipe for success, I would space them as far apart as possible unless your doing higher rep stuff and even then it would be far from optimal. Certainly hope you aren't trying ME (Max Effort) with these two back to back. I always save both movements for the end of my workout, after those two I am always trashed.
  7. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.52%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Every tuesday..........I do squats(my buddy wont) then we do deads together.....

I hit squats hard.

His DL's are light so i just do what he does........185 or so.

My legs are torched.........

I have almost passed out, puked and hyperventilated.

I must admit my legs and back have seen gains.

I have used "starting strength" with success as well...........MWF, ABA then BAB and so on.

Workout A

* Squats: 3 x 5
    * Bench Press: 3 x 5
    * Deadlift: 1 x 5
    * Dips (weighted): 2 x 5-8

Workout B

* Squats: 3 x 5
    * Press: 3 x 5
    * Power Clean: 3 x 5
    * Chin-ups: 3 x 8

Every Workout / Assistance Work

* Weighted Sit-ups at a 45 degree angle on decline bench: 3 x 5
    * Weighted Hyper-extensions: 3 x 8

Deads and Squats together ARE NOT too much if caloric intake and rest are on par.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  257 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.1%

it depends on what your trying to work, I actually include heavy romanian deads(straight leg) in my leg workouts quite a bit, it is a great hit on my hams and also helps add to the muscle density in the lower back. but if you are doing heavy squats and then finishing off your legs just to go on to deadlifts and huck weight around for the soul purpose of working your back, then you are working the two largest muscle groups in the body, and it might be a little contradicting, you should have a good two days in between
    ~Yoked
  9. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.42%

Quote Originally Posted by yoked317 View Post
    it depends on what your trying to work, I actually include heavy romanian deads(straight leg) in my leg workouts quite a bit, it is a great hit on my hams and also helps add to the muscle density in the lower back. but if you are doing heavy squats and then finishing off your legs just to go on to deadlifts and huck weight around for the soul purpose of working your back, then you are working the two largest muscle groups in the body, and it might be a little contradicting, you should have a good two days in between
    ~Yoked
    Yeah, maybe Romanian deads to finish off your hams - but not the full-blown version.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.54%

Quote Originally Posted by yoked317 View Post
    ~Yoked
    RDL is a staple in my leg workout, best hammy workout IMO. I used to do deadlifts after legs for about a month but when i split them up I see much better strength gains on my deads.
  11. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.42%

Quote Originally Posted by joelast View Post
    RDL is a staple in my leg workout, best hammy workout IMO. I used to do deadlifts after legs for about a month but when i split them up I see much better strength gains on my deads.
    Good Mornings s/set with RDL work pretty well.
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.58%

Squats and deadlifts are usually the centerpieces of my legs and back routines, respectively. There's no way I'd do them both on the same day!
  13. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.39%

[QUOTE=soseg;1670301]Has anyone ever tried doing dead lifts after wasting your legs on squats?

I tried it the other day and gotta say... what a pain in the ass - I'm not doing it again!

lol...[/QUOTE

That including some calf raises is typically my leg rountine. I bang out about 6 sets of squats at various weight and repititions for each set and then finish off the workout with 3-4 sets of deadlifts at about 8 reps each set. This is a gruelling workout!!!! and I am typically sore from my legs for the following 3-4 days, depending on the intensity sometimes I can barely walk the next day. But I have seen tremendous gains since I started doing this back in March. Back then I was regularly squatting 205 or now I regularly squatting 315 or so. I know those are super impressive numbers but I am not a very big guy ( 5'7 160lbs)
  14. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.8%

yeah. that's really fun. i don't do them in the same superset though, because THAT is way too hard for me. if you check dragonfly's log, she does squats/deads in the same superset.

i would suggest she is much more hardcore than you of course, that makes her more hardcore than me
  15. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.2%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

I don't think I've ever done them together, unless I was trying to do a whole-body routine to blast my metabolism and went lighter on both. Today I just deadlifts + Clean & Press and it took it right out of me!
  16. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.8%

steveoph, deads and C&P are pretty brutal as well. possibly harder.

if you were crazy enough to do a HIIT style workout, then do a finishing superset of "overhead squats" and C&P, you can almost FEEL the rush of growth hormone kicking in. it kicks in by getting all the food out of your stomach
  17. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.2%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by suncloud View Post
    steveoph, deads and C&P are pretty brutal as well. possibly harder.

if you were crazy enough to do a HIIT style workout, then do a finishing superset of "overhead squats" and C&P, you can almost FEEL the rush of growth hormone kicking in. it kicks in by getting all the food out of your stomach
    I couldn't complete my HIIT sprints afterwards lol. I got the first 4 done, 5th my legs just couldn't sprint lol, kept at a slow pace for 4 minutes then was spent. I took 2 LR & 2 DCP before the workouts though, and I was sweating so hard my eyes were burning lol. Hell I was sweatier than almost everyone else before I even got one the elliptical!

For the clean & press, I was trying a rep-pause-rep method. I just started cleans 2 weeks ago, but I put on a weight I find pretty heavy right now, and would do a rep every 10s. My back is quite sore, I'm curious how the DOMS will be tomorrow lol.
  18. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.24%

Squats and deads in the same workout aren't uncommon for anyone who follows powerlifting routines. Now I wouldn't go and do a lot of volume on both but it is pretty routine for me to work up to a max single in one and then a few sets of 5 with the other. Speed days will commonly consist of speed squats followed by speed pulls too, again not really overdoing it on each though. I will suggest if you are doing deadlifts after squats though that you change the range of motion on them so you are either pulling a lighter weight from a deficit or a heavier than normal weight from the rack or blocks so that you have a short ROM.
    Muscle Pharm Rep
  19. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.8%

Quote Originally Posted by Steveoph View Post
    I couldn't complete my HIIT sprints afterwards lol. I got the first 4 done, 5th my legs just couldn't sprint lol, kept at a slow pace for 4 minutes then was spent. I took 2 LR & 2 DCP before the workouts though, and I was sweating so hard my eyes were burning lol. Hell I was sweatier than almost everyone else before I even got one the elliptical!

For the clean & press, I was trying a rep-pause-rep method. I just started cleans 2 weeks ago, but I put on a weight I find pretty heavy right now, and would do a rep every 10s. My back is quite sore, I'm curious how the DOMS will be tomorrow lol.
    man... DOMS is gonna beat you down. something which might make the DOMS more bearable, is to go back to the gym and do squats/C&P with 1st warmup set weight. 10 reps, then get in the sauna/hot tub. that should get some more blood flowing in there, which will cut the DOMS down quite a lot. standard post workout shake after. you should notice the difference almost immediately
  20. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  117 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.52%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

I used to, after doing super-slow (5-3-5) or high rep (>20) squats (but not done that since May 2006)

Now I just superset squats with romanian deadlifts (if I do legwork). But focus for my legs has never been on gaining mass.

Whatever works for each individual. And depends on what you're trying to do.
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  21. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.53%

haha
    i was just asking but look at the response...
    i tried it once and it was HELL

hmm its got me thinking

i do back on mondays and legs wed and shoulders/arms fridays

im thinking after reading some posts to throw legs into thursdays and have a 2 day break between back and legs... with no break between legs and arms/shoulders (should be fine) ???

i prefer doing my big heavy compound workouts at the start when i feel i have the energy for them
  22. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.1%

Well me and a buddy are training for a power lifting comp, and the coach has us squat, deadlift, and highpull all on the same day (thursdays). Seems to be working wonders for my leg power. We train legs twice a week, mondays and thurdays. mondays we hang clean, squat, and do dumbell step ups with plyo's.
  23. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.57%

Yeah I was doing 5x5 squats, then 5x5 deads right after on bill stars 5x5 I got strong as hell and my legs blew up to be honest, however i've barfed a few times :P
  24. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.31%

i did 5x5 on deads last night. no way i would have been able to do squats after that. i was toast!
  25. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.52%

Quote Originally Posted by james1 View Post
    Well me and a buddy are training for a power lifting comp, and the coach has us squat, deadlift, and highpull all on the same day (thursdays). Seems to be working wonders for my leg power. We train legs twice a week, mondays and thurdays. mondays we hang clean, squat, and do dumbell step ups with plyo's.
    I have really been entertaining the idea of doing deads/squats with a 5x5 program twice a week. 3-4 day rest.
  26. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.96%

I do stiff legged deads on leg day along with squats. I don't do them right after squats though. I usually throw calves in between them. Stiff legged deads are great for overall hamstring development.
  27. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.54%

Quote Originally Posted by Aggravated View Post
    I do stiff legged deads on leg day along with squats. I don't do them right after squats though. I usually throw calves in between them. Stiff legged deads are great for overall hamstring development.
    I do this as well and usally one right after the other, But doing a full DL involves much more quads and is much more taxing that Straight leg DL's.
  28. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.96%

Quote Originally Posted by joelast View Post
    I do this as well and usally one right after the other, But doing a full DL involves much more quads and is much more taxing that Straight leg DL's.
    There is no way I would ever consider actual deadlifts on leg day. That is too big of a muscle to train with your legs. You would sacrifice some oomph as well.
  29. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.66%

i did them on the same day for about 6 months till i got rewarded with a herniated disc in my lower back. now i am one of those people with chronic back problems who cant sit or drive for extended periods.

correct form? yes
    too heavy? heavy enough to do 8-10reps.

the pressure you put on your discs take a toll after a while.
  30. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.58%

Squats and deadlifts are two of the most taxing exercises you can attempt, so why would you even want to try both of them in one workout? I say, spread it around a little bit so you can go at it with maximum intensity.
  31. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.52%

Quote Originally Posted by Aggravated View Post
    There is no way I would ever consider actual deadlifts on leg day. That is too big of a muscle to train with your legs. You would sacrifice some oomph as well.

This is true.

One excercise will be "heavy", the other will not.

Common sense must prevail guys.

On some days when all the stars are aligning just right, I have gave it my all on both. JP8 and Nos Ether makes it easier to do both with full intensity.

Usually I pick just one to go "all out" with....
  32. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.53%

lol i said it once ill say it again
    i wasnt expecting this to turn into a discussion about whether its good to do or not

i just meant.. has anyone tried it? coz its a killer thing to try.. i did it once - never again
    it absolutely drains you. i was just asking if theres anyone here who maybe has balls big enough to do this not whether its good or bad lol...

ah well!
  33. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.68%
    Achievements Posting Pro

This is why I submitted the request to implement the option for an OP to be able to close a thread after they feel it has served its purpose, it if the thread has gotten out of hand. But to answer the question, I just tried it a few days ago, and I will never do that again. For one, I did dead lifts first, and (it was my first time ever doing SDL), and apart from it taking so much out of me, my lower back was really hurting. Still hurts today. Off topic question, is that normal for lower back to hurt after first time doing it? IT REALLY HURTS!!
  34. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.96%

Quote Originally Posted by ABNRanger View Post
    This is why I submitted the request to implement the option for an OP to be able to close a thread after they feel it has served its purpose, it if the thread has gotten out of hand. But to answer the question, I just tried it a few days ago, and I will never do that again. For one, I did dead lifts first, and (it was my first time ever doing SDL), and apart from it taking so much out of me, my lower back was really hurting. Still hurts today. Off topic question, is that normal for lower back to hurt after first time doing it? IT REALLY HURTS!!
    Yes it is normal, unless it feels like pain other than deep muscle soreness. The first few times you do SDLs it gets pretty intense! Just keep it in mind to go a little lighter on your back day if you do hyper extensions or anything.
  35. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.98%

hell yea man it a pain in the @ss!! We've been doin dead lifts after we burnout on squats...its a killer
  36. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.38%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

I do deads after squats sometimes. It's a good way to hit the whole leg (quads with squats, then hammys with deads.) I don't have any machine equipment for hamstrings, all I have is basic free weights. So I use the deadlift quite often as it's such a great exercise.
  37. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.38%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

I would always do squats first, as deads will tire your core out ... and I would rather have my core fail when I am deadlifting as it would just fall to the ground, rather than having a few hundred pounds balanced on my shoulders and needing to rerack it. That is how I hurt myself 2 years ago.
  38. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  285 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.33%

Quote Originally Posted by soseg View Post
    Has anyone ever tried doing dead lifts after wasting your legs on squats?

lol...
    I remember talking to Gary Frank back at a WPO meet one time and he told me that he trains deadlift after squatting. He said he feels he is already warmed up and has no problems. He all he told me he did was like 135 and 225 for speed a very few reps and then went for his top pull.

Sorry, but I was nevr hard core enough to pull tht off either.
  39. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.89%

Quote Originally Posted by Australian made View Post
    i did 5x5 on deads last night. no way i would have been able to do squats after that. i was toast!
    Interesting as Bill's 5x5 program includes deads after squats on the 2nd day...usually it is squats, military press, then deads ...

However, the 2nd day has squats light and deads heavy, rather than both heavy. And, your only doing deads once a week.

I've gotten to a point now that if I do my deads by themselves, i can not pull as much weight, weird deal.
    ---The internet is the father of the electronic lynch-mob---
  40. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.89%

Quote Originally Posted by Kristofer68SS View Post
    I have really been entertaining the idea of doing deads/squats with a 5x5 program twice a week. 3-4 day rest.
    It will benefit you my man...my total strength went up a solid amount using the 5x5 which calls for deads after squats on the light squat day...Anyway, it's a light squat day, relative to your strength, so I can see no way that it will over tax you that much on a light squat day, and a 5 rep max dead day. The fact is, your 5 rep max on the light squat day is going to be NOTHING compared to your 5 rep max deads.

Also, by the time you toss in your middle workout (presses, or whatever) and get to your deads, 30 mins will have passed, so you should be ready for deads then...also, remember, the squat will be light squats on that day.
    ---The internet is the father of the electronic lynch-mob---

Similar Forum Threads

1. Dead lifting back injury
    By KRuth22 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-15-2011, 06:45 PM
  2. dead lifts & squats
    By jmoney02 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-18-2009, 02:18 PM
  3. lifting belt necessary for dead lifts?
    By Super Penguin in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-07-2009, 07:36 AM
  4. 1st time dead lifting
    By PumpYouUp in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-10-2007, 07:01 PM
  5. dead lifting
    By djbombsquad in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-09-2007, 12:18 AM